New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 3.5 - Adventurer PrC - What would it look like?

I have an ambitious idea but I don't know where to start.

I'd like to have a generic Prestige Class in my game which would be called "Adventurer". I would like it to be unique enough so that it would stand out from other PrCs.

Some ideas:
    - At 1st-level: No XP penalties for multiclassing (i.e. a halfling barbarian 1st-level/sorcerer 5th-level would have no penalties).
    - You could use all the knowledge untrained when you attempt to identify monsters.
    - Ability to identify potions untrained (level check vs. DC 25).
    - Capstone ability: Always maximum HP when gaining levels in Core classes?
    - Characters would have helpful, generic abilities specifically geared towards adventuring.

Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: 3.5 - Adventurer PrC - What would it look like?

Prestige classes aren't supposed to be so generic. It's not a one-size fits all sort of thing. If it doesn't allow for spellcasting, those classes won't want it, and if it does, then classes that don't have spellcasting will feel like they are missing out. If you throw too much into it, it's gonna be overpowered. I think you have two choices, a prestige class that either nobody will want since it doesn't play to everyone's specific strengths, or a prestige class that is so overpowered, it plays to everyone's strengths.

Now the former isn't going to be fun and the latter is okay as long as you recognize it for what it is. That said, if this is the ONLY prestige class you allow in your game, it might be fun. I wouldn't do it (well maybe for giggles) but it would be interesting to see.

If you design it with choices along the way rather than simply set abilities that would be interesting, and different. You could set it up in columns. Pick any two from the following choices: Column A (offensive ability ), Column B (defensive ability), and Column C (Spellcasting level) and D (other).

That's about as generic as I could think of.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Look up chameleon and factotum. Both serve your needs, though the latter is a base class rather than a PrC.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

your first 2 ideas really make no sense to me in the context of being an adventurer.. especialiy the very first one the capstone is kind of odd too.

I have a 5 level PrC called the adventurer and it is what standard D&D is all about, exploring old trap filled and dangerous ruins I di not have the class on hand right now but I do remember some of the bare bones
    3/4 BaB Good Fort and Ref d8 HP
    Trapsense/finding as a rogue increases at every odd level ( so 1st,3rd, and 5th)
    at 5th level they can make a 2nd roll on any save, but must take teh 2nd result
    blindsense at 2nd I think.. maybe 3rd?
    that is all I can remember

The factotum like saidoro said is pretty good for what you are asking, and You might want to chekc up on the Dungeon Delver from Complete Adventurer pg 43 and the fortune friend from complete scroundrel don't know what page it is though.

if you want a more knolwedged focus PrC though you might wanna take a look at the Delver base class form Path of Shadows pg 123

there is also that PrC form the one forgotten realsm book about old empires which is basically lore master with trap-y kind of stuff added on.