Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Solo trip: How to fully sneak attack?

Yea, of all of the methods seen so far, a ring of blinking is the most reliable
    27k gold, lets you SA on every attack with a 20% miss chance
    However, it also gives their attacks and single target spells a 50% miss rate
    and a 50% damage reduction to AOE effects.
    It is command activated, so you need to reactivate every 7 rounds as a standard
    You could also go for a ring of greater blink or a ring of greater invisibility, but both cost A lot more, and don't really add much.

Of course, if you are a soloing rogue, why are you fighting? move silently and hide are class skills for a reason...
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

Aria, Vertiron
    Elena, Classics
    Bluebell, Good
    Adiana, Weave
    Rose, Great Game
    Luxana, Throne
    Violet, The Lucifer
    Liriel, Shadows
    Aster, Space
    Elizabeth, Chamar
    Galron, Hope

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    You could also go for a ring of greater blink or a ring of greater invisibility, but both cost A lot more, and don't really add much.
    Neither also exists which could be considered quite the hurdle in acquiring them. You'd have to have DM start creating new items for you to go down this path (even harder since we aren't even talking about an item creating PC).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    Tier System For Classes & Why Each Class Is In Its Tier - Obligatory Reads Before Balance Discussions

My apologies if I leave a discussion unfinished. Feel free to PM me anything.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm sorry I couldn't answer earlier. Well, I did read the whole thread through now.

Suggestions so far for denying dex to ac/flat-footing while without allies are:
    - Bag of Marbles or Wand of Grease to force the enemy into a balance check and flat-foot him if his balance score isn't too high.
    - Wand of Invisibility to flat-foot the enemy when striking out of invisibility. Pouncing invisible works too.
    - Ring of Blinking - does blinking flat-foot the enemy? Do I need pierce magical concealment to be able to sneak attack with the blink or not?
    - Dust eggshell grenades to blind the enemy, which is like invisibility.
    - Hide in Plain Sight/Concealment - does hiding and attacking then flat-foot the enemy?
    - The three-feat feinting combo - yes, works, but is it worth the effort? I'm skeptic due to the rogue handbook treating it as a waste of effort.
    - Grapple without being grappled myself
    - Token to create a tree flanking partner
    - Creating low walls to hide behind and jump over then

Further questions:
    Collar of perpetual attendance sounds like it is an animal collar. Am I right? Do you really suggest for my catfolk to wear an animal collar?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shin View Post
    - Ring of Blinking - does blinking flat-foot the enemy? Do I need pierce magical concealment to be able to sneak attack with the blink or not?
    Blinking allows you to strike as invisible, so enemies are denied Dex-bonus to AC and you have +2 to attacks unless they can see etherealness. You don't need Pierce to sneak attack as the only thing that stops you from sneak attacking is concealment-based miss chance, while Blink gives you effectively etherealness-based miss chance.

- Hide in Plain Sight/Concealment - does hiding and attacking then flat-foot the enemy?
    If enemy cannot see you when you're attacking, they're denied Dex-bonus to AC and you get +2 to hit. You're basically invisible to them since, y'know, they don't see you.

- The three-feat feinting combo - yes, works, but is it worth the effort? I'm skeptic due to the rogue handbook treating it as a waste of effort.
    No it's not. As you saw above, plenty of simple magic item based solutions exist so there's no reason to make this exceedingly complicated.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    Tier System For Classes & Why Each Class Is In Its Tier - Obligatory Reads Before Balance Discussions

My apologies if I leave a discussion unfinished. Feel free to PM me anything.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thank you for the answer. Now I have a neat list for my little catfolk

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

There are literally dozens of ways to get flanking, including various magic items or spells which create a creature of some sort.

One of the easiest is to invest in the Handle Animal Skill, and buy a few dozen or so dogs, which are dirt cheap. Train them to guard and attack by flanking. (They can also be training to Track, hunt, and many other tricks). Take 3 or 4 dogs with you, while the others guard the front entrance to the dungeon or whatever that you go into. If any of the dogs get killed in combat, just replenish them from your guard pack. They're dirt cheap and very common in pretty much any game setting, so you can easily replace them between adventures.

Or if you're willing to invest in 2 Feats, then Shape Soulmeld (Necrocarnum irclet) + Open Least Chakra (from Magic of Incarnum) gives you an infinitely replaceable Necrocarnum Zombie with hit dice = your Incarnate meldshaper level (ie, 1/2 your hit dice, or your Incarnate class level). Although it won't be very powerful for a non-Incarnate, it can flank for you, use whatever attacks it normally gets, walk down hallways first (ie, set off traps), carry stuff for you, act as a mount, etc. And it's more useful then many of the other combos used to trigger Sneak Attack.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I did read your guide to being a rogue. And thinks for the tips.
    However, I did ask for ways to flat-foot/deny dex to ac while alone, means, no flanking

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    There's always the Desert Sun maneuver Burning Ember, but it only lasts one rounds. Also only usable once an encounter, almost certainly.
    Going along with this, dip a level(s) of swordsage - there are some awesome things for rogues in this class.

level 1) Burning ember and sapphire nightmare blade get you some non-ally-dependent sneak attacks. Combined with a wand of grease and some marbles, you should be pretty set. When you are with allies, island of blades makes it absurdly easy to flank. Shadow blade is a potential huge damage boost. Child of shadow is also worth a look, for a skirmish-type rogue. If you have poor wisdom, consider taking the unarmed variant (if your not going to get good mileage out of the ability anyways, it's better to "trade" it for strong unarmed strike options).

level 3) shadow jaunt is great for hiding during combat, among other things.

level 5) assassin's stance gives you extra sneak attack, meaning your sneak attack will be almost as good as if you stayed rogue.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

I know you specifically said no flanking, but I didn't see anyone mention Shadowdancer yet. Your shadow can be a solid flanking buddy, and is stealthy enough to follow you wherever you may need to go.

Other than that, I can suggest Pathfinder stuff, but that's about it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

2 level warlock dip for darkness and devil's sight and take the feat blend into shadows which lets you use one of your infinite darkness spell like abilities as a swift action to immediately make a hide check.