New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Martial Scripts

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Martial Scripts

Rereading the Martial Scripts segment of Tome of Battle, I don't see any reference to limited uses per day nor to the script being consumed by use. This item is rarely referenced, probably because is makes little sense, but the ability to pick up a free stance for a none initiator seems like something that would be discussed more.

Am I missing something, or are Scripts merely underappreciated?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Martial Scripts

A martial script is a small strip of paper or cloth marked with delicate lettering that holds the secret of a martial maneuver. Any given script grants the use of the maneuver recorded on it for one encounter. Once it is activated, a script vanishes in a puff of white smoke.
    So, it's a one use item that gives you a maneuver for a single encounter- and if it is a normal maneuver, that means one use within that encounter, unless you're an adept that can refresh maneuvers.

Generally, you're better off just picking up one of the wondrous items that gives you a maneuver permanently. They're fairly cheap.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They would stick that in the fluff section. I still think it is good for stances, but it certainly explains why they aren't popular.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Do ever leave a stance unless you end it? Would that mean that I could get one stance script and then just remain in that stance indefinitely?
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC you only end a stance when you change into another stance or voluntary leave it.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Do ever leave a stance unless you end it? Would that mean that I could get one stance script and then just remain in that stance indefinitely?
    That is my understanding, yes. Want SA? Buy a script!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, if you wanted to stick to stupid levels of RAW, you could argue that vanishing in a puff of smoke doesn't mean it's gone, it just means it's invisible, and with see invisibility you could use it again.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    To be fair, if you wanted to stick to stupid levels of RAW, you could argue that vanishing in a puff of smoke doesn't mean it's gone, it just means it's invisible, and with see invisibility you could use it again.
    By that line of reasoning all classes are gender specific. To bad your male character wanted to be a Sublime Chord.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also the problem where stances aren't maneuvers. They have a clause that lets them count as maneuvers for the purposes of maneuver prereqs, but otherwise, they're a separate mechanic.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Only problem is that this reading makes regular scrolls reusable too. "The writing vanishes from the scroll when the spell is activated."

But "vanish" is used in a variety of ways in core. It could mean "becomes invisible" as you suggest, or even "becomes ethereal" (from Blink) or "gets destroyed" (Disintegrate.) So the DM would still have to arbitrate; there is no RAW here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    IIRC you only end a stance when you change into another stance or voluntary leave it.
    You also lose the stance if you're ever rendered helpless.

This means you must never sleep, amongst other things, if you want to always have the stance.

The RAW on whether stances are maneuvers that can be put into martial scripts is ambiguous at best. I could easily imagine a DM ruling it either way. I allow it in my game, but YMMV.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    The RAW on whether stances are maneuvers that can be put into martial scripts is ambiguous at best. I could easily imagine a DM ruling it either way. I allow it in my game, but YMMV.
    I tried using that to bootstrap Martial Stance's prerequisites once, but then ran into ToB p.43: "A stance is not a maneuver."

And from there, it seems pretty clear-cut.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-11-15 at 09:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Even if you could have a script of a Stance, I wouldn't find it overpowered to make it last a day. There's spells with 24 hour duration you can get scrolls of. This isn't that much of a stretch.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I tried using that to bootstrap Martial Stance's prerequisites once, but then ran into ToB p.43: "A stance is not a maneuver."

So from there, it really seems pretty clear-cut.
    Also, same page, "Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of fulfilling prerequisites for learning higher-level maneuvers, or qualifying for prestige classes or feats."

This list is pretty exclusive, does not seem to include martial scripts. But eggs, you should have been good to go.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-11-15 at 09:09 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    This list is pretty exclusive, does not seem to include martial scripts. But eggs, you should have been good to go.
    The problem was the Martial Stance feat's maneuver prereq, which doesn't have that allowance, even if the stance itself is fair game.

EDIT: Huh. I don't know how we missed the PrC/feat prt there. Looks like that would have worked.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-11-15 at 09:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    The problem was the Martial Stance feat's maneuver prereq, which doesn't have that allowance, even if the stance itself is fair game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB, p31
    MARTIAL STANCE
    Prerequisite: One martial maneuver.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB, p43
    Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of fulfilling prerequisites for learning higher-level maneuvers, or qualifying for prestige classes or feats.
    I really don't see the problem, other than ensuring that you time the stance around when you gain a level. Of course, the timing problem goes away with chaos shuffle, but there's already a thread arguing that.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-11-15 at 09:27 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.