New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Cloistered cleric spell loadouts?

I'm considering playing a cloistered cleric in an upcoming campaign who is mostly a pure caster. The character will be starting at level 8. Can y'all suggest some versatile spell loadouts for a level 8 caster cleric who will face combat often but won't necessarily know much beyond that?

I know pretty much what I'll be doing with domain slots, so keep this to the general Cleric list spell slots only. This character should have a charisma of 22 after items for determining spells per day.

I'm used to doing this sort of thing for wizards and druids, but I'm fairly new to using the cleric spell list.

By the way, all official non-setting specific WotC books are approved. Dragon magazine rules are available subject to DM approval, and that a digital copy of the full original RAW text is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Cloistered cleric spell loadouts?

I think this is what you are looking for:
    http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...sg8434#msg8434

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

That's raw information that is helpful and relevant to this discussion, and I thank you for linking to it. However, it isn't what I'm asking for.

I'm asking for versatile loadouts. Preferably with people's anecdotal experience and reasons for a few of their specific choices. You know, a discussion of the topic of the relative merits of cleric spell loadouts, not just the individual spells that could potentially make up those loadouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

We had such a discussion here earlier this year, but I'm unable to track down the thread. Starting from the list provided in the link, I'd say that some of those spells you are likely to always have prepared. Obscuring mist, protection from evil, and shatter for example.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd stick to something like:
    L4:[Domain], Lesser Planar Ally, Recitation, Summon Monster 4
    L3:[Domain], Dispel Magic, Girallon's Blessing, Summon Monster 3, [Open]
    L2:[Domain], Divine Insight, Silence, Summon Monster 2, [Open]
    L1:[Domain], Ebon Eyes, Resurgence, Summon Monster 1, [Open] x2
    L0: Detect Magic x2, Cure Minor Wounds x2, Read Magic, Light

But I'd be the first to recognize my unhealthy love of summons: they open lots of on-the-fly versatility, like a winged mount when the Fighter needs to whack a harpy, a pack of webbing spiders or Color spraying Kaorti when facing swarms of mooks or a Bacche to cover some buffing/debuffing while you use your actions to cast more spells, engage in archery or spam some wands.

Most spell lists will probably go lighter on those.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-11-15 at 03:39 PM.