Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 74
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    A bird flies over the dimly lit town of Haark, a port city in Merstial. The streets, almost devoid of citizens and having very few guards patrolling the streets, have little chance to catch the several prisoners who were just released. They scatter in several directions, running from cover to cover trying to avoid the law. Many of these prisoners are on their own, but a few groups did form.

    Mink Orduno, Vlamad Horkenson Abaddon Windrunner, Isadora Mikhail, Eric the Red, and a man searching for his dog, Jor, each dash to an alley way in the city, seeking to find refuge in the home of Eric's mother, outside of the town.
    Last edited by Heart; 2012-11-15 at 05:54 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Machuchang's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    "Well 'ow's about tha', eh?" Abaddon chuckled. "I thought we'd never make it out o' tha' mess! Nice job all, by the way," He grinned.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Eric the Red

    With a look that conveys nothing but confusion, "I have...no idea what just happened." He looks to his companions, and his face lights up with joy, "All things considered...don't reckon I care neither. I haven't seen Mother in over a week, let's get going! We're free! Free and still alive!"

    The half-orc darts off towards home a bit more haphazardly than is wise, anxious to get home.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Amidst the quiet steps of his companions, Eric's boots thunder down the streets. Each step on the stone resounds loudly, and shadows flicker in every direction as he passes the torches. Rats, not used to such a sight at this time, struggle to get out of sight and into the dark.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    "Gort, be a dear and have a look around for me, would you? Mink sends her familiar out to scout their path. It wouldn't do to run into a patrol after taking so much effort to escape.
    Current status: Back to normal. If you can call this normal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    "Indeed, good job everyo-ah! Eric...!" Isidora waves after the half-orc as he rumbles down the street, then sighs and smiles, dropping her hand. "Well, no point in being stealthy behind him, I suppose," and lacing her fingers together behind her back, follows in his wake with the others, skipping slightly.
    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Machuchang's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Abaddon smiled as he watched Eric run down the street.

    "Well, 'ere's 'opin' our big ol' friend doesn' lead us right back in, eh?" He winked at Isidora. "Bet 'is mum must be a real nice lady,"

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    As the group hurries to keep in tow with Erik, Gort flies ahead to get a better view. Following the path it would take them to reach the best exit, he eventually heads over a few houses, devoid of lights and noise from within. Eventually the bird reaches the town square. Several different shops are seen, along with the tavern. Even with the night being so late, a lot of noise comes from within. There is music and singing, and several loud crashes and banging coming from within, the normal sounds of a tavern. In the center of the town square is a circular fountain, with a statue of the king of Merstial made of stone, holding a heroic pose.

    A few unassuming natives to the town of Haark wander about, most leaving or going to the tavern, but two men also lean against the fountain. These two men wear tunics bearing the guards symbol.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    As Gort returns to whisper in Mink's ear she passes the information to the others, "Yes, thank you sweetie," she breaks some bread for the raven to eat. "There are two guards by the fountain ahead, I think we should go round.
    Current status: Back to normal. If you can call this normal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Isidora nods, "Yeah, despite all the nostalgic feelings I have for my jail cell, I'd like to never go back. I know another route to take, though, so we can skirt the square. Hey, Eric!" she called forward, waving him back to the group, "C'mon, we're going this way now." She glanced about to confirm her bearings, then turned onto another path.
    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Eric the Led

    The half-orc skids to a halt as a ponderous look comes over his features. He shakes his head and moves back to the others, "Well then, lead the way Chief!" He falls in at a more reasonable pace, keeping close to the group this time.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Machuchang's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Abaddon chuckled at Isidora's words.

    "Well said, lass. Lead the way,"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Isa leads the group through several different back alleys. At each new turn, a memory of the past seems to spark in her head, telling her which way to turn to find the quickest path. In the distance, the church bells begin to ring. In the streets you can hear many steps running across the roads and doors slamming open and shut. Faintly, you can hear, "Prisoner escape!"

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Eric the Mis-lead(er)

    Eric continues following Isa's directions, confident in her knowledge of the town. Hearing the distant shouting, self-preservation takes the reigns. "They're headed for the docks!" he shouts at the top of his lungs.

    He gives an apologetic look to those around him with a shrug. "Well, it is the other way..."

    **** on the others, I. Want. To. Go. Home!
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Mink runs over the casting of the dancing lights spell in case we need a distraction. "We should go quietly, I think." Having said that she slips on the wet cobblestone to fall flat on her face, letting out a high squeal of pain. "Sorry"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide (1d20+2)[14]
    Move silently (1d20+2)[4]
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-11-21 at 01:59 AM.
    Current status: Back to normal. If you can call this normal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    "Oh, careful!" Isidora extends a hand to help Mink to her feet, then looks at the others in the group. "She's right though, we should try to get there as quickly and quietly as possible."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently: (1d20+7)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    The group begins to slow the pace, favoring a quieter pace. They navigate the back alleys quietly enough, except for one. The man looking for his dog, tagging along behind, continues to loudly stumble over his feet and kick into things. A voice speaks from the dark, sound waves bouncing off the walls until they reach the group, "I can hear something over here," and then footsteps start to approach the group, along with a glowing light that slowly gets brighter and brighter.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Eric the Galant

    Eric whispers to Isa, "Do you trust me? Keep a weapon ready and hidden, and follow my lead. Everyone else get out of sight and be ready to help out, I have an idea..."
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Mink steps out of sight and casts Dancing Lights as quietly as she can. She directs the four torch lights to the limit of the range across the square. She has them slowly climb the tallest building in sight. Directing the familiar to the move round towards the spell and then catch up with us, "Gort, my love, would you fly over to the lights and make a noise. Knock over a plant pot or something, there's a darling. Hopefully that'll serve as a distraction."
    Current status: Back to normal. If you can call this normal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Isidora nods at Eric, slipping her dagger up her sleeve, then starts as Mink casts a spell. Looking between the two she murmurs, "Well, between the two of you, something should get us out of this mess. I guess we should just try to keep moving for now, but keep alert. Should we get into a situation, everyone get out of sight. I'll trust your lead, Eric."
    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Machuchang's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    "Sounds like a plan," Abaddon said, as he crouched down, trying to keep out of sight.
    Last edited by Machuchang; 2012-11-23 at 07:55 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    "What's that?"

    "Must be the prisoners. Stay here Rig an' keep an eye out, shout if you see 'nythin'." You hear a pair of feet begin to run towards Gort's distraction, while the illumination of the torch remains in its spot.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Isidora heaves a relieved sigh inwardly to herself as one of the guards leaves. Hopefully Mink's raven, Gort, would provide enough of a distraction for the second guard, Rig, to leave, but if not... Well, hopefully Eric's plan could get them out in that case. She glances around to the rest of the group and tilts her head to the shadows where they may hide, but stays behind Eric as he had requested.
    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Machuchang's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Abaddon nodded back to Isidora. Then, crouching even lower than he had been before, he slid his way into the shadows.

    "Nice move there, wit' th' bird," He whispered as quietly as he could while still being able to be heard by his companions. "Would one o' you like t' lead the way though? These stubby legs o' mine might slow us down..."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hoverfrog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Mink moves the light up the wall of a building so that it appears as if someone is climbing. While she does so she notches a bolt to her crossbow, "Just in case." Then she starts moving quietly away from Rig.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide (1d20+2)[15]
    Move silently (1d20+2)[15]

    Incidentally if anyone has ranks in Bluff then creating a diversion is exactly one of the things that you can do with it. My measly +1 probably won't cut it though.
    Current status: Back to normal. If you can call this normal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I now cycle 22 miles a day. If I stop posting it probably means that someone ran me off the road. Watch out for cyclists. We're squishy.

    Extended signature

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Eric

    Eric breathes a sigh of relief as the group begins stalking away from the guards. By the dead that's a happy bit of luck. He tries to keep as quiet as possible as he follows the group.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Eric's bluff's only got a +0, so you have him beat! Hide - (1d20+1)[21]Move Silently - (1d20+1)[10] (both checks include his armor check penalty)
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Machuchang's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot to roll Abaddon's stuff in the previous post.

    Hide: (1d20+7)[8]
    Move Silently: (1d20+5)[20]

    And since he's got a Bluff of +8, we could try and use him for the distraction. I'll roll just in case.
    Bluff: (1d20+8)[14]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Isidora waits for a moment as Abaddon and Mink begin to slip away, then brings up the rear with Eric, using gestures to indicate to the first two which turns to take through the alleys.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll add Isidora's bluff into the mix, just in case, though she may end up more hindrance than help if she opens her mouth. Bluff: (1d20+6)[7]
    Hide: (1d20+7)[23]
    Move Silently: (1d20+7)[24]
    Last edited by ElfiKay; 2012-11-28 at 12:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the way the passages work, you wouldn't cross the guards line of sight in the direction you're headed, so only a move silently check is needed. I'd attempt a map, but I'm currently a bit too intoxicated. And the guard rolled a one, so I think you're in the clear.


    The man who commanded Rig heads towards the distraction as the rest of the group quietly sneaks through the alleys. The group reaches the end of the town perimeter with the guidance of Isa, then the roads. With the help of Erik, they reach the home of his mother after a few hours.

    OOC for Eric:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medic!, please describe what the group sees after they reach your mother's home. Basically, the homes outward appearance.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Yours For The Taking Thread A [D&D 3.5] (IC)

    Be it ever so shambled...

    As the dirt road dwindles to dirt path, the grassy fields give way to a sparse but ever-encroaching wood. After several minutes the dirt trail towards another settlement veers off, leaving you following something akin to a glorified game trail. The occassional mighty oak tree becomes less and less common as the countryside begins to be dominated by copses of pine and evergreen, leaving a soft blanket of nettles under-foot.

    You push your way through a hedge-row of conifers and arrive in a small open field ripe with wheat. Across the field a small shack breathes a delicate plume of smoke into the air. The humble structure looks big enough to house two people, at best, within its split-log walls. A slightly sloped thatched roof if within arms reach of a latched loft door on the side of the building with rope rigging next to it for moving hay from the loft to the ground.

    In a pasture adjacent to the wheat field an old mule brays at your approach. About twice a stone's throw from the small cabin a worn and hard-used woodsman's axe is wedged into an even more-abused tree stump, kept company by a plough that seems archaic even by the day's standards. From here you can see the one doorway into the cabin, held open by a tie-off in celebration of the pleasant weather. Your footsteps are measured out by the slapping of the shutters on the only window in sight, banging rhythmically with the earth-rich breeze.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •