New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Level Adjustment question

If your race (Im being a Dvati Half-vampire spellthief) has no discernable hit die for its LA, or skill points for that matter, what do you do?
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Level Adjustment question

With 0 HD you have no health and die.

Dvati are humanoids that advance by class level, though. Take a class level.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3

With 0 HD you have no health and die.

Dvati are humanoids that advance by class level, though. Take a class level.
    Ah. Then I believe I will not being doing the Half-vampire thing.

Edit: Now I have to go learn the LA buyoff rules, which so far confound me.
    Last edited by Cranthis; 2012-11-14 at 11:39 PM.
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Simple.

If memory serve, Dvati is +1 LA.

After you have 3 Class Levels, you may pay 1000 times your ECL-1 (Example, a Dvati Fighter 5 would scrifice 5000 exp) in exp to drop your ECL by 1, negating the level adjustment.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

5. - Top - End - #5

Simple.

If memory serve, Dvati is +1 LA.

After you have 3 Class Levels, you may pay 1000 times your ECL-1 (Example, a Dvati Fighter 5 would scrifice 5000 exp) in exp to drop your ECL by 1, negating the level adjustment.
    So it is fairly simple. I've only ever given it a cursory glance before, generally sticking to non-LA races. Well, this makes things simple. We are starting at level 9, so if LA buy-off is allowed, I drop, what, 8000 exp, and I'm level 8, with no LA?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cranthis View Post
    If your race (Im being a Dvati Half-vampire spellthief) has no discernable hit die for its LA, or skill points for that matter, what do you do?
    All races have RHD (implicitly or explicitly), but those with one or fewer HD (and at least 3 Int) generally trade them for a class level, as stated. LA are empty levels that are added to RHD and class levels to get Effective Character Level for XP, WBL, and party balance. In particular, note that RHD are not part of LA: you can have 3 RHD and LA +0, LA +4 and 1 (0) RHD, or any similar combination.

Ah. Then I believe I will not being doing the Half-vampire thing.
    Why is that?

Edit for ninja'ing:
    So it is fairly simple. I've only ever given it a cursory glance before, generally sticking to non-LA races. Well, this makes things simple. We are starting at level 9, so if LA buy-off is allowed, I drop, what, 8000 exp, and I'm level 8, with no LA?
    No, you'd buy off at the first opportunity during creation, which is at 3 character levels; since Dvati don't have RHD that I remember, you'd pay 3000 xp (4 - 1 * 1000).
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2012-11-14 at 11:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

If you have 1 la, and are starting at 9, and the DM allows you to use LA buy off, you can probably convince him to let you do it at level 3(3000 xp), and the 20% extra you would get would leave you at level 9.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Your LA counts toward your ECL for calculating the cost.

Talk to your DM, he might let you sac only 3k, as if you have done it back at class level3/ECL4.

9. - Top - End - #9

And all of this has brought me to discover that we have been doing level adjustment totally wrong in my group. I am confused.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Your LA counts toward your ECL for calculating the cost.

Talk to your DM, he might let you sac only 3k, as if you have done it back at class level3/ECL4.
    Actually, you kind of have to do the buyoff at ECL 4...

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd.org
    The payment must be made immediately upon becoming eligible to reduce the character's level adjustment.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

And all of this has brought me to discover that we have been doing level adjustment totally wrong in my group. I am confused.
    What is confusing you?
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Why is that?.
    The more spellthief levels, the better.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    What is confusing you?
    It no longer confuses me. I read what everyone said, and read the LA entry on the srd again. I usually learn things pretty quick, once I get the need to stop being confused about them
    Last edited by Cranthis; 2012-11-15 at 12:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

LA, and Hit Dice and Skill Points are not related directly.

Your Half-Vampire Dvati for example would start as a level 4 adventurer. +2 LA (Half-Vampire,) +1 LA Dvati, and +1 Class level. There are no racial HD to take into account.

It is impossible to start as a creature that has no levels, no matter the race. Any creature with racial HD and skill ranks is considered having levels in that type.

A Gnoll for example can start has a level 3 character without any Class levels. +1 LA and +2 HD from levels in humanoid. Racial HD, being levels, also grant BaB, saving throw bonuses, and skill points just like classes (with an exception or two.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The more spellthief levels, the better.
    That's true. It's generally best to avoid LA on casters, in order to best match spells to level-appropriate threats. (+1 LA is bought off easily enough that it doesn't matter that much, though.)
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

16. - Top - End - #16

That's true. It's generally best to avoid LA on casters, in order to best match spells to level-appropriate threats. (+1 LA is bought off easily enough that it doesn't matter that much, though.)
    Exactly. Thats why I'm getting rid of the half vampire bit. And I'm hoping we have LA buyoff. Not entirely neccesary when its only 1 LA, but it doesn't hurt either.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok I'm gonna jump in with a question then, does a werewolf from having 2 RHD from the wolf then having +2lv adjustment(i think) be a ECL 5 character if he had one class level at creation or an ECL 3?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ECL 5, RHD and LA do count for calculating Effective Character level.

I suggest reading Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook, a must read for anyone who intends to play a character with LA and/or RHD (it also has somere pretty neat advice for DMs concerning advancing monsters.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

5 because
    ECL = RHD + LA + CL
    (EffectiveClassLevel = RacialHitDie + LevelAdjustment + ClassLevel)

You might be interesed in UrPriest's Monstrous Monsters Handbook.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alright thanks guys, I thought I was correct but I haven't tampered with that stuff in a while so I'm a little rusty. My players usually play humans.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    If you have 1 la, and are starting at 9, and the DM allows you to use LA buy off, you can probably convince him to let you do it at level 3(3000 xp), and the 20% extra you would get would leave you at level 9.
    What extra 20%?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

20% extra XP probably.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    20% extra XP probably.
    I know, but I dont know where he is getting that from.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I know, but I dont know where he is getting that from.
    Probably from being 1 ECL behind notional party members (or continuing to fight increasingly hard monsters solo despite being lower ECL). In practice, buyoff certainly does tend to make itself up, but some DMs may look slantwise at assuming you gained XP at an accelerated rate during backstory, even though you certainly would if adventuring.

25. - Top - End - #25

Probably from being 1 ECL behind notional party members (or continuing to fight increasingly hard monsters solo despite being lower ECL). In practice, buyoff certainly does tend to make itself up, but some DMs may look slantwise at assuming you gained XP at an accelerated rate during backstory, even though you certainly would if adventuring.
    Ohhh ok. Yeah, I don't think I'm allowed to backstory out that exp loss. Besides, we are level 9 (I'm level 8 I suppose) so I should be able to make it up fairly easily.