New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Profession vs. Craft

In regard to the two skills, which is applied when a profession involves creating objects?
    For example, if there is a hatter, does he or she use profession (hatter) or craft (headwear) when practicing his or her trade? Is this merely DM fiat, more clearly defined in the rules, or something else entirely?
    To cap it off, what if a character had ranks in both skills? Would they band together? Would the highest one take precedence? Would the skill that seemed to apply more take precedence?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Profession vs. Craft

Do you want to do it as a hobby or as a career?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is just something that occurred to me: I have no specific plans for it. How would it matter either way?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Craft (Headwear) is someone that makes hats. Profession (Hat Shopkeeper) is someone who sells them. Presumably, someone who wants to sell hats that they make will have ranks in both - Craft (Headwear) is for special orders ("I want my hat like so." *takes notes*), while Profession represents your usual sales ("I'm looking for a hat." "Here, let me show you what I have.")

No, it's not a perfect system.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-11-15 at 08:14 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    While a Craft skill represents ability in creating or making an item, a Profession skill represents an aptitude in a vocation requiring a broader range of less specific knowledge
    Craft: Making items.
    Profession: might include making items, but only if that's a minor part of the job.

As for the hat crafter, someone making his life on a business probably have more than one skill related to it
    Craft (tailoring)
    Profession (shopkeeper)
    Last edited by docnessuno; 2012-11-15 at 08:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Creating something is a craft. Profession tends to be for jobs where you don't typically make stuff like medicine, law, etc.

A hatter, since they make hats, should be a craft skill.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Profession is the service industry. Craft is the goods industry. Anything that produces a tangible product, like cheese-making, is a Craft skill. Anything that provides a service, like being a waitress or a cook, is a Profession.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Craft is also *Usually* reserved for expensive or permanent items. For instance, Poison is a Craft, but Brewmaster is a Profession. You can brew and sell alcohol without a Craft check, but in order to make actual debilitating poison requires a craft: Poison.

Basically, anything which is primarilly a good is a Craft, anything that is primarilly a service is a Profession, which is why most food and drink is covered in Profession.

Also, it's worth noting that Craft isn't as guerunteed to net you a steady income, where profession is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Craft is also *Usually* reserved for expensive or permanent items. For instance, Poison is a Craft, but Brewmaster is a Profession. You can brew and sell alcohol without a Craft check, but in order to make actual debilitating poison requires a craft: Poison.
    This is incorrect. Alcohol production is a Craft skill, as set forth in the Arms&Equipment Guide. It's 3.0 edition, but it still applies to 3.5.

10. - Top - End - #10

OldWizardGuy

Oh? I hadn't heard that one before. I thought it was part and parcel of running a tavern. Poor innkeepers need three class skills, now...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Oh? I hadn't heard that one before. I thought it was part and parcel of running a tavern. Poor innkeepers need three class skills, now...
    Not necessarily. You can hire a cook for only 1 sp a day, or have your spouse/children/salvaged golem do it. Alcohol can be bought from a supplier if you're too lazy or stupid to brew it yourself.

12. - Top - End - #12

OldWizardGuy

Cooking is still a profession though, yes?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Cooking is still a profession though, yes?
    Yeah, it's a profession. Presumably because you don't actually create food, you just turn food into other food.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Just echo/paraphrase what's been said:

Profession is more (customer) service, and crafting is more manufacturing type. I'm sure that's not a perfect for every case definition, but basically that's how it looks.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kind of adding to the echos but directly from the craft and profession skills in the 3.5 PHB:
    "A Craft skill is specifically focused on creating something. If nothing is created by the endeavor, it probably falls under the heading of a Profession skill."

"While a Craft skill represents ability in creating or making an item, a Profession skill represents an aptitude in a vocation requiring a broader range of less specific knowledge. To draw a modern analogy, if an occupation is a service industry, it’s probably a Profession skill. If it’s in the manufacturing
    sector, it’s probably a Craft skill."

For a simple example, an architect with Profession (Architect) has knowledge of how structures are made and can design them. However, he/she would be unable to make a structure they designed without the needed craft skills such as Craft (Carpentry,) Craft (Stone Masonry,) etc.
    Last edited by AlchemicalMyst; 2012-11-15 at 11:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In D&D, Profession () exists solely to generate an income for the character, without details about what the character actually does to earn it. Craft () is all about the details of making things.