New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default So, Disney won't be buying Discworld after all...

...plus some plans for future:

My daughter Rhianna will take over the Discworld when I'm gone

Terry Pratchett plans to hand over the Discworld series to his daughter Rhianna, he reveals in this week's New Statesman.

In an interview with Laurie Penny - who has returned to the NS as a contributing editor - the author, campaigner and "professional morbid bastard" talks about his life and work. They discuss his diagnosis with posterior cortical atrophy, a rare form of Alzheimer's, in 2007. Since then, his health has declined markedly:

He has lost the ability to use a keyboard altogether and can do very little with a pen. His most recent four books have been written entirely by dictation, and with the help of his assistant of 12 years, Rob Wilkins.

"I can no longer type, so I use TalkingPoint and Dragon Dictate," Pratchett says, as Rob drives us to the café in a rather unexpected large gold Jaguar. "It's a speech-to-text program," he explains, "and there's an add-on for talking which some guys came up with."

So, how does that differ from using his hands to write?

"Actually, it's much, much better," he says.

I hesitate, and he senses scepticism.

"Think about it! We are monkeys," says Prat*chett. "We talk. We like talking. We are not born to go . . ." He turns and makes click-clack motions, like somebody's fusty grandfather disapproving of the internet.

Pratchett's assistant of 12 years, Rob Wilkins, also reveals that earlier this month, the author suffered an atrial fibrillation in the back seat of a New York taxi. Were it not for emergency CPR, he would have died.

What happened next is that Pratchett collapsed. “I had to kneel on the back seat of the taxi and give him CPR,” Rob says. “It was fingers down throat stuff. He nearly died.”

The author was rushed to hospital, but recovered swiftly. Doctors told him that he had suffered an atrial fibrillation, caused by the cumulative effect of drugs he had been prescribed for high blood pressure and made worse by his busy touring schedule. He now downplays the incident. “I once heard it mentioned that signing tours can kill you quicker than drugs, booze and fast women,” he tells the New Statesman. “Some of which I haven’t tried.” It’s made him wonder if he should slow down and devote more time to writing and his family, but he enjoys life on the road too much to give it up.

Nonetheless, it has focused attention on the future of his work, as well as on his only child, Rhianna Pratchett (herself an accomplished writer). Penny writes:

[Rhianna] will be a co-writer on the BBC Discworld series The Watch, news of which has had fans like me chewing their cheeks in excitement. Mine may never recover after hearing some particularly exciting casting details that I'm absolutely not allowed to tell you about.

Run by Pratchett's new production company, Narrativia, The Watch will continue the well-loved City Watch saga where the books left off, and Rhianna will be an important member of the writing team. The author tells me that he will be happy for her to continue writing the Discworld books when he is no longer able to do so. "The Discworld is safe in my daughter's hands," Pratchett assures me.

Rhianna has grown up immersed in her father's universe and knows it inside out. Listening to him talking about his daughter, I realise it is the first time I've heard him acknowledge the possibility of not being able to write any more.

Pratchett says that his reaction to this fact is mostly to be "incredibly angry".

“Anger is wonderful. It keeps you going. I’m angry about bankers. About the government. They’re fecking useless.” He really does say “fecking”. “I know what Granny Weatherwax [a no-nonsense witch who crops up in several Discworld novels] would say to David Cameron. . ."

And what is that? Buy this week's New Statesman to find out.
    Now I'm curious, can someone from UK check and quote what he said?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: So, Disney won't be buying Discworld after all...

I know the thread title is a jokey reference to how Disney seems to be BUYING EVERYTHING, but if they did buy the movie rights, I wouldn't mind. There'd at least be a chance for halfway decent Discworld flicks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    I know the thread title is a jokey reference to how Disney seems to be BUYING EVERYTHING, but if they did buy the movie rights, I wouldn't mind. There'd at least be a chance for halfway decent Discworld flicks.
    There are halfway decent Discworld flicks. The Colour of Magic was... odd, but good, and Hogfather was actually pretty entertaining.

I'm intrigued by The Watch, though. I remember hearing rumours a couple of years back, but it seems it's actually a thing that is happening, now? That's cool.

I was surprised to hear he's still doing tours. Hearing about the difficulties of his condition makes me really rather sad. :/
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

What would Granny Weatherwax say to David Cameron?

Sorry was really curious, would also be interested in what Granny Ogg would do to him and George Osbourne and exactly how long before they started running...

Maybe I really don't want to know what Granny Ogg would do to them!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

W-W-Watch....

...based...

...BBC series...?

Continuing Watch story after novels...?

I...

Whu...

HUZZAH!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    HUZZAH!
    WHOOOO!

All I hope is the daughter finds her own additions to the style.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

THe idea of a Watch TV series came out a while ago. But I hadn't heard about it being set after the books. That's interesting, at least.

I wonder if they can get some of the same actors. The woman who played Angua last time was pretty good. And the same patrician. Oh my yes.

You konw what else is their to be excited about? Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie rumoured to play Aziraphale and Crowley.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-11-16 at 06:48 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

So, it looks like no one here reads New Statesman, eh?

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You konw what else is their to be excited about? Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie rumoured to play Aziraphale and Crowley.

What? Where? How? I must know more!
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    So, it looks like no one here reads New Statesman, eh?
    I'm not even really familiar with what that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    What would Granny Weatherwax say to David Cameron?

Sorry was really curious, would also be interested in what Granny Ogg would do to him and George Osbourne and exactly how long before they started running...

Maybe I really don't want to know what Granny Ogg would do to them!
    obviously she'd tell them they are doing a rotten job and they would start running before Granny Weatherwax and nanny ogg would come within a 10 mile radius. and it will be hilarious
    W-W-Watch....

...based...

...BBC series...?

Continuing Watch story after novels...?

I...

Whu...

HUZZAH!
    I'm with you on this one. Can't wait...

they would be so incredibly suited to that, they have gathered all teh experience they need when they played Jeeves and Wooster. (God I loved that series)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    What? Where? How? I must know more!
    I... don't remember. I think it was an older thread on here.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    There are halfway decent Discworld flicks. The Colour of Magic was... odd, but good, and Hogfather was actually pretty entertaining./
    And in addition, Cosgrove Hall did two fairly good animations (Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music). They also did a fairly good adaptation of Truckers.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

14. - Top - End - #14

Going Postal had some weird departures from the original story (letter ghosts with movie projectors), but it was also pretty enjoyable overall.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm not even really familiar with what that is.
    The newspaper quoted in the OP that contained Pratchett's speech several people here were curious about?

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I have to say I'm more... what's the word... wary of a possible Watch series... but maybe I'm just a pessimist.

(I would say I despised the Going Postal movie but one can not easily despise something connected to Sir Terry)

And... really, I gave up all hope of a Good Omens adaption within my lifetime. I would be happy if it happened and with Fry and Laurie it would be hilarious (Though I'm not sure who should have which role)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

A Good Omens movie would probably either be one of my favorite, or one of the most hated moves I ever watch, if I ever do get to watch it. (Damn you development hell, damn you!)

I'd sort of be interested in seeing Benedict Cumberbacth as Crowley. Becuase that would work so well. And Peter Davison as Aziraphale. Although Stephen Fry would also work. I just don't see Hugh Laurie as either one though.

Anyway, did anyone see the Tweet by the journalist who asked him all that? Apparently, she tried to hug him, and warned all other journalists not to try. "He writes Granny Weatherwax that well for a reason,' or somesuch quote.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    I'd sort of be interested in seeing Benedict Cumberbacth as Crowley. Becuase that would work so well. And Peter Davison as Aziraphale. Although Stephen Fry would also work. I just don't see Hugh Laurie as either one though.
    Really? I can totally see Hugh Laurie as a sort of smarmy Crowley.

The problem is that they're both sorta kinda old now. The Good Omens characters are a bit younger, I think. Or maybe that's just in my head.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Really? I can totally see Hugh Laurie as a sort of smarmy Crowley.

The problem is that they're both sorta kinda old now. The Good Omens characters are a bit younger, I think. Or maybe that's just in my head.
    I can't see Aziraphale as anything under 35, at least.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I see Aziraphale as some kind of late forties man, while crowley stick to a more late thirties/early fourties appearance
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

W-W-Watch....

...based...

...BBC series...?
    Oh, you better believe I'm looking forward to these!

Though I must admit, every time I think of a Good Omens movie. my mind is drawn back to this fake poster:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

On the topic of a Watch Tv series...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I would move to Britain to watch that. Well, no I wouldn't, but you get my point. If they don't put that on BBC America soon afterwords... Well, there'll be an awful lot of American Bootlegging of it, then, I guess.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh good, who do I have to pay, lay or kill to get this thing? Tell me and I will do it.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm both a little scared about how it might/will turn out and happy that there will still be new discworld material after the inevitable happens.. and that it stays in the family.
    as for Disney not owning Discworld..
    praise Offler, is all I'm gonna say about that.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I'm both a little scared about how it might/will turn out and happy that there will still be new discworld material after the inevitable happens.. and that it stays in the family.
    as for Disney not owning Discworld..
    praise Offler, is all I'm gonna say about that.
    nonononono, it's clearly due to intervention of The Lady...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    nonononono, it's clearly due to intervention of The Lady...
    you're not supposed to mention her though... ever
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

you're not supposed to mention her though... ever
    indeed, though not directly. Indirectly is ok. since her name is not The Lady, but something other (which I, ofcourse, will not mention) referring to her as The Lady is accepted.
    Last edited by Socratov; 2012-11-23 at 04:29 AM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    indeed, though not directly. Indirectly is ok. since her name is not The Lady, but something other (which I, ofcourse, will not mention) referring to her as The Lady is accepted.
    you're tempting Fate here, is what you're doing...
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-11-23 at 05:01 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

you're tempting Fate here, is what you're doing...
    no, if that were the case I'd allready snuffed it

the only one who can get away (mind you, due to divine intervention from The Lady ) with tempting fate is Rincewind, who seems to have partially polymorphed into some kind of weed since he just won't perish... ever...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

on a sidenote, I googled Drumknott because I wanted to check something.
    the fourth listed weblink is titled "Drumknott has sex with everyone"

I hate fanfic...
    Show