New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What are the advantages of being Tiny?

I've almost finished helping my friend with her Petal Psion, and she wanted to know what are can being small do for her?

She's new to 3.5.

I can think of the obvious things in RAW, but what can you think of?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: What are the advantages of being Tiny?

Less likely to draw attention, can sit on ordinary people's shoulders. And of course the major AC bonus.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Getting into and out of otherwise impossible spaces.

I recall a previous game where my petal cohort and the party rogue duked it out with a lich. The rogue slammed an antimagic cage around them both, and the petal just sort of slipped out between the bars. She was also useful for investigating a small secret-area tunnel full of...well, the DM hadn't come up with the area yet.

Also, Mage Hand carries around objects up to 5 lb. Petals weigh 3 lb. of course they can fly naturally, but still, wheeeee!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Cover and total cover become a lot easier to make use of when you're the size of a potato. Your human comrades need a 4 foot stone wall or something to crouch down behind, you can just lay prone in a deep footprint.

Also, use a soup bowl and a spoon as an improvised kayak.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

There are a number of modifiers in the table here (you need to scroll down a little).

The main things are +2 to hit, +2 AC, -8 Grapple, +8 Hide and Reach 0'.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Having a strength and load capcity so low that your clothes and a gold piece will imobilize you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

If you're using a Rogue-ish build, Confound the Big Folk & co. trigger with creatures 2+ size categories larger than you. With Tiny, that means anything Medium or larger is subject to sneak attacks from Knee Striker.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    I've almost finished helping my friend with her Petal Psion, and she wanted to know what are can being small do for her?

She's new to 3.5.

I can think of the obvious things in RAW, but what can you think of?
    Pretending to be the "wizard" or other magical person's familiar always makes for a fun encounter, especially when the petal decides to slam down one of her psionic fists on an annoying noble who won't shut up.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glarnog View Post
    Having a strength and load capcity so low that your clothes and a gold piece will imobilize you.
    But clothes made for smaller characters weigh a lot less. For instance, small characters can carry ¾ of what medium characters with similar strength can, but their armour and weapons (as a rule) weighs only ½ as much, and a large part of their equipment, such as food, waterskins, blankets, backpacks, and clothes weighs only ¼, so small characters are usually more than compensated for their lower strength in regards to carrying capacity. I haven't looked it up, but I can't see why the same shouldn't be the case for tiny characters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

something else you might find useful when using a tiny creature

Tiny Creatures with Reach Weapons

As noted earlier, using a reach weapon doubles your natural reach. If your natural reach is 0, your reach is still 0 when you wield a reach weapon. As a variant, allow Tiny creatures a reach of 5 feet when they use reach weapons.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCat View Post
    But clothes made for smaller characters weigh a lot less. For instance, small characters can carry ¾ of what medium characters with similar strength can, but their armour and weapons (as a rule) weighs only ½ as much, and a large part of their equipment, such as food, waterskins, blankets, backpacks, and clothes weighs only ¼, so small characters are usually more than compensated for their lower strength in regards to carrying capacity. I haven't looked it up, but I can't see why the same shouldn't be the case for tiny characters.
    Tiny armor is actually 1/10th as heavy, not 1/4 like it would be if the progression was more logical. So their clothing and gear should be even less than that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Tiny armor is actually 1/10th as heavy, not 1/4 like it would be if the progression was more logical. So their clothing and gear should be even less than that.
    If it were "logical", it should be 1/64th of the weight. Size /2 = weight /2^3
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    If it were "logical", it should be 1/64th of the weight. Size /2 = weight /2^3
    Unless its made of material of the same thickness, which — for armour — might be reasonable.
    In which case its ( size / 2 = weight / 22 ) so 1/16th
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

This is all kind of academic, since worn clothing is weightless, and anything else like a backpack is going to hold so little that you may as well not bother. You could put like, a single coin into a tiny backpack probably.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

This is all kind of academic, since worn clothing is weightless, and anything else like a backpack is going to hold so little that you may as well not bother. You could put like, a single coin into a tiny backpack probably.
    Unless it's the most common backpack, a handy haversack. Incidently, due to the reduced size of their gear, the backpack's fixed capacity holds a lot more.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Unless it's the most common backpack, a handy haversack. Incidently, due to the reduced size of their gear, the backpack's fixed capacity holds a lot more.
    Only if you can get stuff into it. Aren't you limited by how large the opening is? Or can you put an entire baby grand piano into a traditional haversack?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Only if you can get stuff into it. Aren't you limited by how large the opening is? Or can you put an entire baby grand piano into a traditional haversack?
    Simple solution. Give your Tiny HHH to your Medium sized ally. Because magic items auto-size to the weilder/wearer, the bag becomes medium sized. Have your ally stuff your loot in there. Take it back. Boom. Just hope you don't have to take any of it out quickly.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Spamalot in the Playground

Tibbits are a Tiny race (in cat form) that can avoid most of the equipment issues. Some of their gear morphs into cat-shaped gear (e.g. a necklace becomes a collar) and remains useable, while the rest simply melds into their form. When you need to fish something out of your bag, pick up more loot etc., you can simply revert to Small size to do so. They also make great psions and psychic rogues.

A Petal Wilder would be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I've never found anything that indicates size issues with the haversack. I've always ruled that if it's under the weight limit, it fits, "because magic."
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I had my players wake up almost naked in a goblin-crafted dungeon, a voice booming in their ears over a speaker system that they were now a part of a trial experiment for a new piece of magitech.