1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default AD&D2 I was a transmuter and I became an elf, what will happend to me?

Hello,

I was a level 7 transmuter (wizard specialized in Alteration) which requires to be human or half-elf. For some fluff reasons (mainly related to life span) I became an elf. The magical effect that cause this change cannot be dispelled even by a Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

Can I still be a transmuter?
    Do I become a generalist wizard?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AD&D2 I was a transmuter and I became an elf, what will happend to me?

Since the DM invented something to make the character an elf, the DM will also have to invent something for what happens now.
    Something happened that isn't covered by the rules, so the effect also isn't covered by the rules.
    Spriggan's Den - Thoughts on RPGs and some of my personal creations.
    Ancient Lands - PF/d20 Sword & Sorcery campaign setting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: AD&D2 I was a transmuter and I became an elf, what will happend to me?

Eh. I'd say the restriction on Elves becoming Transmuters would be more based on cultural focus than actual biological limitation.

I mean, Elves are more often than not generalists because they have centuries to study every part of the arcane lore. You aren't an elf, you are a human trapped in an elf body.

Means you will still live with a short-sighted view of time until you reach your 200nd birthday.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, thanks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Since the DM invented something to make the character an elf, the DM will also have to invent something for what happens now.
    Something happened that isn't covered by the rules, so the effect also isn't covered by the rules.
    Well this can happen with Reincarnate or Polymorph Other, but it's still a DM call.
    p = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Don't bring it up.

Just play the character as a normal Transmuter and let the DM go in ignorance of the elf/transmuter issue. He probably won't care one way or the other, but if he does, it's harder to say "You can't be a transmuter" if he changes his mind three months from now.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Eh. I'd say the restriction on Elves becoming Transmuters would be more based on cultural focus than actual biological limitation.

I mean, Elves are more often than not generalists because they have centuries to study every part of the arcane lore. You aren't an elf, you are a human trapped in an elf body.
    I agree with this opinion. But if the DM disagrees, he might simply give you an XP penalty (e.g. you need to earn 10 or 20% more than the normal amount of XP required to gain levels).

Get the free PDF of this OSR/OGL role-playing game, in the download section!