Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 108
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    pendell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Buh-bye twinkies

    Hostess is closing its doors forever.

    Nuts. I had a secret zombie apocalypse survival pan based around those little cakes. They have a shelf life of 50 years and so could keep as survival rations indefinitely. Plus, they could double as ammunition in a pinch.

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    "Opportunities to do good are everywhere but the darkness is where the light needs to be".

    -- Eliezer Yudkowski, author of "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality"

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Dallas-Dakota's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    They will be no doubt, be bought by another company. And otherwise It's just a shame that I can't get them here over in the Netherlands.
    Spoiler: Playgrounders about me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    here
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Theory from my coworkers.
    The workers wouldn't take a permanent 8% pay cut. The owners closed the doors, and plan to wait whatever amount of time is legally mandatory, then will open up non-union under a different name.

    And even twinkies go bad after a few weeks, it's just Hollywood hullabaloo that they last forever.
    Check my wife's art out at Deviant Art
    And my occasional motivator or short story.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Hostess is closing its doors forever.
    NO! NO! NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Starwulf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomNPC View Post
    Theory from my coworkers.
    The workers wouldn't take a permanent 8% pay cut. The owners closed the doors, and plan to wait whatever amount of time is legally mandatory, then will open up non-union under a different name.

    And even twinkies go bad after a few weeks, it's just Hollywood hullabaloo that they last forever.
    Maybe outside the wrappers/box, but in their wrappers and box, they really do last as long as people say.
    Avatar is Chaos Devil Dragon from Puzzle & Dragons!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Never really liked them much to be honest, though I've only had them enough times that you could count on one hand of a kid who used to play with fireworks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JustPlayItLoud's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Well, I guess there goes my business plan of launching knock off Twinkies onto the market and calling them Twonkies.

    Today is the day my dreams died.

    But seriously folks, I would be sad if someone didn't buy up Twinkies. I don't eat them all the time (I'm more than fat enough), but I would miss the occasional Twinkie. Everything else I enjoy basically has an analogous product from another company, but Twinkies are just so iconic that it wouldn't feel right to buy the same product but not called Twinkies.
    2e PHB fighter avatar by Kymme.

    Play competitve Pokemon? Wanna earn badges and become a champion? Wanna be a gym leader? Join the Giant League!
    3DS FC: 4785-6164-8724

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    There goes one item on my long list of things I wanted to eat before I turned 50.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oz county
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    There goes one item on my long list of things I wanted to eat before I turned 50.
    Don't feel too bad. You probably wouldn't be living to 50 if you did eat 'em. Twinkies are marketed as "food", but if you've ever had one, you might debate that point.

    I used to eat 'em, but they truly are disgusting things.
    Dioxazine purple.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Montreal! Quebec! Canada?

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    I ate a deep fried Twinkie once. And I had another twinkie once normally. The deep-fried one was palatable because when you get a deep-fried thing-on-a-stick you expect it to be horrible anyhow.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

    "Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus


    Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Hostess is closing its doors forever.

    Nuts. I had a secret zombie apocalypse survival pan based around those little cakes. They have a shelf life of 50 years and so could keep as survival rations indefinitely. Plus, they could double as ammunition in a pinch.

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    Kind of been the writing on the wall for a couple years now.

    Suffice to say, they had issues all across the board with not controlling spending, so it's not shocking they came to a point they couldn't continue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Maybe outside the wrappers/box, but in their wrappers and box, they really do last as long as people say.
    No. They do not. Speaking as someone who worked as a contractor for tech support at Hostess a couple of years ago (and was thus attendant at a few meetings with major execs present), the shelf life of their various cakes was, at that time, roughly 30 days (on average). This is partially due to a lack of dairy product in their construction, which decreases spoilage rate.
    It was seen as a big initiative when they were working to increase shelf life to about 45 days, in an effort to expand the markets in various ways (that would require a longer supply chain, and thus a higher shelf life).
    Please stop repeating "Twinkies last for years" as fact, it's an urban legend.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2012-11-16 at 05:48 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    The company has been in bankruptcy for >10 years, and has been closing facilities left and right. They're pretty infamous around here for incredibly poor labor practices and have had many, many OSHA violations. (For example, maintenance workers were flatly forbidden to lock out equipment while working on it, despite such procedures being federally mandated.)

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    Don't feel too bad. You probably wouldn't be living to 50 if you did eat 'em. Twinkies are marketed as "food", but if you've ever had one, you might debate that point.

    I used to eat 'em, but they truly are disgusting things.
    Eh, I've definitely have had worse things. If I were afraid of that, I wouldn't have a list of things I want to eat before I turn 50!
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    Don't feel too bad. You probably wouldn't be living to 50 if you did eat 'em. Twinkies are marketed as "food", but if you've ever had one, you might debate that point.

    I used to eat 'em, but they truly are disgusting things.
    They're as much food as any packaged good. They aren't made of plastic or styrofoam or some other nonsense; flour and eggs and such go into them.

    They're not healthy, no. But on the flip side, it's all about moderation. Claiming someone who eats Twinkies won't live to 50 is very much hyperbole. Maybe if they ate almost nothing but, sure. But a Twinkie or snack cake now and then won't kill you. Kind of like bacon now and then won't kill you.

    And as for them being "disgusting", that's a matter of opinion and taste. I do myself prefer Zingers, though.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Loving the Smell of Bat Guano in the Morning Administrator
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Huh. I guess you *can* hurt a twinkie.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Never really liked them much to be honest,
    Then you must be a robot! Don't try and deny it! After all, the love and passion one gets from eating a twinkee is the most reliable for of a Turing Test.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oz county
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    They're as much food as any packaged good. They aren't made of plastic or styrofoam or some other nonsense; flour and eggs and such go into them.

    They're not healthy, no. But on the flip side, it's all about moderation. Claiming someone who eats Twinkies won't live to 50 is very much hyperbole. Maybe if they ate almost nothing but, sure. But a Twinkie or snack cake now and then won't kill you. Kind of like bacon now and then won't kill you.

    And as for them being "disgusting", that's a matter of opinion and taste. I do myself prefer Zingers, though.
    That part I bolded? That was kind of what I was going for.

    But in all honesty, there's a certain kind of flavor that all of those prepackaged cake-like things share, which I do think tastes plastic-like. It could just be the cheap plastic they're wrapped in. Or the preservatives, I dunno.
    Dioxazine purple.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    They're not healthy, no. But on the flip side, it's all about moderation. Claiming someone who eats Twinkies won't live to 50 is very much hyperbole. Maybe if they ate almost nothing but, sure.
    I'm currently running an experiment that will prove or disprove if twinkees will grant one immortality. I've yet to become immortal, but I'll keep trying.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    pffh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Well I guess I'll go into the control group considering I've never even tasted twinky.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

    Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

    My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    But, but......... snowballs.

    I love snowballs. Cream-filled choclate cake in a marshmallow shell coated in shredded coconut, what's not to love? They even came in different colors for each of the holidays; pink for valentines, green for st patty's day, orange for halloween, etc.

    Damn you, hostess, for your shoddy business practices! If you'd been run properly I wouldn't be denied the wonder that is snowballs. *sheds a single manly tear*

    (funny thing: I'm not sure just how hyperbolic I'm being in this post. I really do love those things.)
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-11-16 at 11:16 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Gettles's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Maybe outside the wrappers/box, but in their wrappers and box, they really do last as long as people say.
    Speaking as someone who has encountered a 10 year old twinkie still wrapped. No they don't last forever.
    Thanks to Lindorm for the Ziltoid avatar.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Maybe they just don't last like they used to? With the big health movement in the US over the last decade or two, a lot more people are looking at their food labels and companies are using a lot less preservatives than they used to as a result, since people tend to over-react to any hint of a potential health-issue related to preservatives and other chemically produced ingredients.

    The notion that "processed" food is more bad for you than "non-processed" food alternately amuses and annoys me. The only way you get food that hasn't been processed in some way or other is to buy raw ingredients and do the processing yourself. Even then, it's processed by the time you eat it; you processed it yourself.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Maybe they just don't last like they used to? With the big health movement in the US over the last decade or two, a lot more people are looking at their food labels and companies are using a lot less preservatives than they used to as a result, since people tend to over-react to any hint of a potential health-issue related to preservatives and other chemically produced ingredients.

    The notion that "processed" food is more bad for you than "non-processed" food alternately amuses and annoys me. The only way you get food that hasn't been processed in some way or other is to buy raw ingredients and do the processing yourself. Even then, it's processed by the time you eat it; you processed it yourself.
    The basic formula hasn't changed.

    They last long because there's no dairy products (which spoil rapidly). The sponge cake still has flour, sugar, eggs, and such.

    Seriously people there are ingredients on the boxes.

    They don't last properly for years and years. Yes, perhaps occasionally some that are 2-3 times past shelf life are edible, but that's not recommended, and it's kind of annoying how this is trumpeted as fact.

    And while people are scrambling to hoarde Twinkies, thousands of people in cities across the nation are without work. And while the brands will likely be snapped up, the people are a less sure thing.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Does this mean twinkees will become an endangered species? Man, this is just another thing that my future children will never have:

    "Back in my day, we took pictures with an actual camera not a phone which we had to take to a place to get developed and after that we'd rent movies from Blockbuster all while eating twinkees and only nerds owned computers and 64 bits of graphics and game play was considered state of the art."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Zombieland just got dated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    NO! NO! NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    And all day I was arguing with myself "Do you go out in the cold and restock the fridge over the weekend or wait until monday?". Now I have to go because I'm out of sweets.
    Spriggan's Den - Thoughts on RPGs and some of my personal creations.
    Ancient Lands - PF/d20 Sword & Sorcery campaign setting

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-l...s-last-2012-11
    A science teacher in Blue Hill, Maine, kept one in his classroom for 30 years. "It's rather brittle, but if you dusted it off, it's probably still edible,"

    So they last up to 30 years

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Blue Ghost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thulcandra
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies


    Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

    Avatar by azuyomi244.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-l...s-last-2012-11
    A science teacher in Blue Hill, Maine, kept one in his classroom for 30 years. "It's rather brittle, but if you dusted it off, it's probably still edible,"

    So they last up to 30 years
    ""Probably", he hasn't tested it. What kind of science is that?
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-17 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pokonic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Malbolge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Zombieland just got dated.
    Life's little twinkie meter just ran out.
    Well, one time at Bard camp...
    Former avatars & Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Former avatar, had it since I started realy posting here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.

    It involves high fantasy and ponies. Take a look!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •