New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Buh-bye twinkies

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Cream-filled choclate cake in a marshmallow shell coated in shredded coconut, what's not to love?
    Consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Zombieland just got dated.
    Interestingly enough, while Twinkies are sold in Mexico, there's an identical alternate brand that's most likely still gonna be made there. You know what it's called? Los Submarinos.

.....yes, I'm being serious.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Interestingly enough, while Twinkies are sold in Mexico, there's an identical alternate brand that's most likely still gonna be made there. You know what it's called? Los Submarinos.

Not that weird. Submarine sandwiches, AKA Subs, Heros or Hoagies, among other names and variations, are another somewhat similarly shaped food that takes its name from the Silent Service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #33

Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2012-11-17 at 01:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm not bothered by losing twinkies, I never cared for them much. What bothers me is that Hostess owns Drakes and Drakes makes Funnybones, which are one of the best snack cakes ever made. I'll miss fruit pies as well if nobody buys Hostess and continues production. Sad days.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Well, here's a recipe for homemade twinkie . It's probably not identical to Hostess' recipe, but hey , how many different ways are there to put cream-colored filling in a yellow cake?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    The basic formula hasn't changed.

They last long because there's no dairy products (which spoil rapidly). The sponge cake still has flour, sugar, eggs, and such.

Seriously people there are ingredients on the boxes.

They don't last properly for years and years. Yes, perhaps occasionally some that are 2-3 times past shelf life are edible, but that's not recommended, and it's kind of annoying how this is trumpeted as fact.

And while people are scrambling to hoarde Twinkies, thousands of people in cities across the nation are without work. And while the brands will likely be snapped up, the people are a less sure thing.
    That's true now, but it wasn't always the case that the ingredients were on the label. The FDA hasn't always been a thing either. It's entirely possible that type and amount of preservatives in twinkies has changed dramatically since their introduction in.... what was it, the late 60's or early 70's? or are they older still? Sure, modern twinkies won't be entirely edible after a few months, but a twinkie manufactured in 1969..... who knows?
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-11-17 at 08:09 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

8. - Top - End - #38

Not to mention making your own isn't quite as appealing as seeing one at a store and thinking maybe a Twinkie would be nice right about now.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hostess also makes Wonder Bread, among other things.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a "wonder" people eat ate it. It was definitely bread shaped, but whether it had actual nutritional value is debatable.

I imagine (1) the company will incorporate under a new logo, (2) sell their product / factories / distribution to another company, or (3) someone else will fill the "void" that is "created".

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That's true now, but it wasn't always the case that the ingredients were on the label. The FDA hasn't always been a thing either. It's entirely possible that type and amount of preservatives in twinkies has changed dramatically since their introduction in.... what was it, the late 60's or early 70's? or are they older still? Sure, modern twinkies won't be entirely edible after a few months, but a twinkie manufactured in 1969..... who knows?
    I think that, considering the bakeries were running on equipment that was about that old (the "servers" that they used to coordinate the day's orders and such were seriously 30 or more years old), yeah, the formula's probably almost exactly the same.
    I don't think it's actually possible to make a product like that last "years", and frankly it's annoying how insistent some people are about completely untrue statements.

Quote Originally Posted by DabblerWizard View Post
    Hostess also makes Wonder Bread, among other things.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a "wonder" people eat ate it. It was definitely bread shaped, but whether it had actual nutritional value is debatable.

I imagine (1) the company will incorporate under a new logo, (2) sell their product / factories / distribution to another company, or (3) someone else will fill the "void" that is "created".
    Hostess Brands encompassed quite a few brands.
    Also consider that at least some stores (as in Price Chopper, Walmart, etc) likely used Hostess to provide "generic" food products (breads, snacks, etc). I mean, do you think Walmart actually runs its own bakeries and such?

Wonder Bread is no worse than any other comparatively cheap shelf brand. It was, in fact, bread.

As for the company's fate, it's actually pretty clear. 18,000 and change people have no jobs. The brand names, and presumably the formulas to go with them, will be sold off to various bidders. The plants themselves will be sold, but it's hard to say if many/any will be re-activated.
    In a year or two, Twinkies, Ding Dongs, and so on will be produced by (most likely) Little Debbie or Grupo Bimbo (the latter's apparently actively trying to acquire the brands). This will be done in those companies' plants, meaning most of the fired people will have to look elsewhere.
    Twinkies won't go extinct.
    People will still make thoughtless jokes about "eternal Twinkies".
    And so on.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not really a big fan, but had to go out and buy a box this week. Unsurprisingly, the store was nearly sold out.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

this is like if they stopped selling those valentine candies. sure no one likes the horrid little things, but they're an institution!
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I don't think it's actually possible to make a product like that last "years", and frankly it's annoying how insistent some people are about completely untrue statements.
    Why are you getting so worked up about this? It's a joke, a long running gag actually, based on the perceived shelf life of a nutritionally dubious foodstuff. It may not be factually correct, but there is absolutely no reason to react the way you have.

People will still make thoughtless jokes about "eternal Twinkies".
    They are far from "thoughtless".

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Why are you getting so worked up about this? It's a joke, a long running gag actually, based on the perceived shelf life of a nutritionally dubious foodstuff. It may not be factually correct, but there is absolutely no reason to react the way you have.

They are far from "thoughtless".
    I just...I worked there for a year. I got to know people who'd been at that company for 2 decades, or at least several years.
    The mother of one of my best, closest friends (a guy who's a brother in all but blood) has worked at that company since like forever.
    It was by no means a perfect company, but it was a company, and it was a workplace-home for many people.
    They are all, to a one, jobless. I myself have been jobless repeatedly, being a guy in the tech industry who entered the workforce less than a decade ago. I mean, I had another workless period just in the last year. So I know all too well the frustration and pain that comes with that.
    Add onto it the fact that I've got the unconscious desire to correct erroneous facts, and that people are repeatedly presenting the "eternal twinkies" thing, not as a joke but as a fact, and it's adding a bit of frustration.
    I think some of my irritation springs from seeing what seems to be a lot of half-baked ideas and facts about what was under that company name and so forth.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I feel your pain, fella. I too have had (and continue to have, unfortunately) periods of non-employment.

If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't putting forth my suggestions as facts, merely as possibilities.

On that note; just because they were using the same machines for 30+ years doesn't mean they never changed the formula. Those machines can be calibrated to add different amounts of various ingredients, pretty much on the fly, and many ingredients come from their producers already mixed. It's not at all outside the realm of possibility that the number and amount of preservatives has changed drastically over 30+ years, even if the amounts of flour, egg, and whatever the cream is made of have remained largely the same.

I'm not saying anyone should just mindlessly chomp on any 20+ year old twinkie they should happen to find, just that the actuall shelf-life of the product may have changed over the years, and that given the general movement towards a "healthier" lifestyle and the demonizing of chemically produced ingredients in food, that change was most likely a decrease.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, the only reason I was putting it forth as truth is because literally just two nights ago when they were talking about it on the news, someone on the news was talking about how it was true that twinkies really could last forever. So I was just repeating what I heard. Obviously you shouldn't always believe what you hear on the television, but when it's the news, you tend to trust that a little bit more. I apologize for making a thoughtless post, but you did(and have been) honestly over-reacting to it just a little bit to much.

17. - Top - End - #47

I just...I worked there for a year. I got to know people who'd been at that company for 2 decades, or at least several years.
    The mother of one of my best, closest friends (a guy who's a brother in all but blood) has worked at that company since like forever.
    It was by no means a perfect company, but it was a company, and it was a workplace-home for many people.
    They are all, to a one, jobless. I myself have been jobless repeatedly, being a guy in the tech industry who entered the workforce less than a decade ago. I mean, I had another workless period just in the last year. So I know all too well the frustration and pain that comes with that.
    Add onto it the fact that I've got the unconscious desire to correct erroneous facts, and that people are repeatedly presenting the "eternal twinkies" thing, not as a joke but as a fact, and it's adding a bit of frustration.
    I think some of my irritation springs from seeing what seems to be a lot of half-baked ideas and facts about what was under that company name and so forth.
    Jokes or misconceptions about the staff that worked there, that's something to get upset over - about the product... not so much. By all means, correct someone if they make a genuine mistake, but there is no need to get upset over such jokes about an inanimate product.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Honestly, the only reason I was putting it forth as truth is because literally just two nights ago when they were talking about it on the news, someone on the news was talking about how it was true that twinkies really could last forever. So I was just repeating what I heard. Obviously you shouldn't always believe what you hear on the television, but when it's the news, you tend to trust that a little bit more. I apologize for making a thoughtless post, but you did(and have been) honestly over-reacting to it just a little bit to much.
    Wait, are you talking about American news? I dunno about your area, but I consider the news I see on tv about as reliable a source of facts as the internet (not very).

I do know for a fact that twinkies are edible (maybe not fresh, certainly not good tasting, but edible) for at least five months after buying from the store and sitting in a fishing vessel pantry* all summer. Considering that everything is shipped by barge to my hometown, that's at least another two months from the factory. "Best by" dates are just a rough guideline as to how long you have until the food stops being enjoyable to consume, not until it becomes poisonous. Expiration dates, on the other hand, often seem overly optimistic about such things.

As to the former Hostess workers, I'm certain they did the best they were allowed to within the confines of company policy.

*This "pantry" is essentially a covered cubby hole with NO climate control or insulation other than the wood and fiberglass of the hull.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

biggrin Re: Buh-bye twinkies

I can think of ONE particular zombie slaying, banjo playing, Bill Murray lovin' badass who isn't going to react very well to this whole topic....
    Spoiler
    Show

It's only a matter of time before Woody Harrelson releases a youtube video (as Tallahassee of course) condemning Hostess for letting twinkies be taken off of the shelves
    'Aside from getting rescued what is it you do?'
    'I provide much needed sarcasm'

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grom the mighty View Post
    I can think of ONE particular zombie slaying, banjo playing, Bill Murray lovin' badass who isn't going to react very well to this whole topic....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it a blank image? 'Cause that's what I see when I click the spoilers: a blank image.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post

Made by Bimbo, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Made by Bimbo, no?
    Technically. The Bimbo company owns Marinela, which is the name of the brand they're sold under.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Grupo Bimbo is already being named as one of the likely buyers of the brand, for the record.

RE: Eternal Twinkies. The following anecdote is based on my own experience, and technically involved a similar product from a competitor. Having said that? When my father had to retire for medical purposes, he left the job that day without having eaten his lunch. My mother, being sentimental (I am, for the record, worse) put his lunchbox up with the lunch still in it -- and forgot about it.

A few years later we went searching for an odd smell that had appeared in the basement and found the lunchbox. The sandwich was the culprit and was rapidly thrown out. The bag of chips was left in the box though it was rather obviously stale. The (not exactly) Twinkie, however? Still looked perfect. I went to squeeze it and it did not give -- it was rock hard, despite looking almost identical to a fresh one. It was also left in the box.

Years later, we had another occasion to open the box. The bag of chips had burst and was thrown out. The (not exactly) Twinkie? Still looked fine, but had shrunk visibly. We put it back in the box.

Not two weeks later, we noticed a strong odor in the basement. I didn't even think twice, I went straight for the lunchbox and, you guess it, what used to be a (not exactly) Twinkie was now one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. Yeah, it was thrown out.

Now, from having dealt with food service in my lifetime, I wouldn't have eaten that (not exactly) Twinkie three months after purchase. I can't emphasize that it might have looked fine but was rock hard when we discovered it.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Well, someone believed the myth . In 1999 twinkies were added to a time capsule intended to be opened in the year 2100. It was later removed for fear of rodents getting into the capsule.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    RE: Eternal Twinkies.

*snip*
    I wouldn't eat a Twinkie past expiration date no matter what it looked, smelled or felt like...

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Well, someone believed the myth . In 1999 twinkies were added to a time capsule intended to be opened in the year 2100. It was later removed for fear of rodents getting into the capsule.
    Silly fool.

...should have put a Big Mac in.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Silly fool.

...should have put a Big Mac in.
    I don't know about years, but a girl I knew did that for a science experiment and the Big Mac did not, in fact, spoil after three weeks. That being said, I would STILL not eat it. Gross.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Is it a blank image? 'Cause that's what I see when I click the spoilers: a blank image.
    It's actually a picture of Woody Harrelson crying.....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...bmylo1_500.jpg

^that
    'Aside from getting rescued what is it you do?'
    'I provide much needed sarcasm'

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

i for one hope Hostess brands continue to get made. i dont know what would happen if Chocadiles went extinct...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Good news everyone! Twinkees may live after all! Other companies are buying the rights to their snack foods, so we may yet keep the twinkee alive! YAY!