New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Frenzied Berserker

I have a question. If i threw a Crystal of Mind Cloaking in some armor. Would you allow the bonus to affect the will saves to exit or prevent frenzy?

I guess this would be more of a house rule as it doesn't say mind effecting anywhere in the frenzied description.

Would you considered a non-voluntary frenzy a mind-altering affect even though it is self inflicted?

I guess i am asking "Can a case be made?"
    Last edited by Ginger; 2012-11-15 at 10:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Frenzied Berserker

A somewhat related question that may be the answer to your problem; why is it not the case that every Frenzied Berserker ever takes Righteous Wrath (BoED) and totally disregards the PrC's main weakness? Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Paragraph
    While raging, you maintain a clarity of mind unusual among barbarians. You are perfectly able to... distinguish friend from foe even in the heat of your rage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    I have a question. If i threw a Crystal of Mind Cloaking in some armor. Would you allow the bonus to affect the will saves to exit or prevent frenzy?

I guess this would be more of a house rule as it doesn't say mind effecting anywhere in the frenzied description.

Would you considered a non-voluntary frenzy a mind-altering affect even though it is self inflicted?

Alternatively, you could dive into BoED for the righteous wrath feat. Your targets have to make saves to avoid being scared of you when you punch them in the face and the feat specifically says that you maintain your clarity of mind when raging and can perfectly distinguish friend from foe. While it does not list frenzy, it does have that stipulation. Besides, if a case can be for sneak attack/skirmish/sudden strike precision damage transparency you should have a chance to make a case for rage/frenzy/battle fury transparency.

I realize I have not answered your question, but yes, a case can be made for your crystal to help you avoid killing everything in the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gygax;
    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

OK! did not know this existed! Ill have to ask my DM about that feat!!

I was planning on getting Endurance & Steadfast Determination to help before i take even a single level in frenzied berserker. I might skip that path entirely if he OKs BoED... Ill feel a bit cheesy though xD

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Strictly speaking Righteous Wrath wouldn't work with Frenzy because it isn't a Barbarian's Rag
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, Rules as Written, Righteous Wrath has no affect on Frenzy, just Rage.

Additionally, it's a pretty decisive ban because a lot of people rather dislike that Book for many different reasons.

Futhermore, for completely invalidating the class's main weakpoint and gimic, it isn't out of place for a Dm to dislike that feat.

And if you do take it, you're locked into being Good enough to shame Paladins, and if you fall, you're right back to where you started.

Clear all of those issues, though, and enjoy your super strength!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I didn't even think about the alignment restriction. Yeah it won't work then. Back to endurance and Steadfast Determination then. Any other suggestions.

Any other input on the augmentation crystal idea?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If you have a Red Wizard in your party, you could take a level of Thayan Knight and have your Red Wizard buddy cast a charm monster or similar on you (will autofail the save) allowing you to calm down. Just make sure the Red Wizard player isn't a **** and won't lord over your.
    Just call me Dusk

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

How will the save be auto failed? i have to try my hardest to kill people

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Your problem will still be a 1 in 20 chance of failing your Will save on a Natural 1 and TPKing the whole party (unless you have a moderately optimized Wizard, in which case, he will most likely be unaffected by anything you do).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

How will the save be auto failed? i have to try my hardest to kill people
    Thayan Knight level 1 class feature make you autofail your saves against any [mind-affecting] spell cast by a Red Wizard.
    Just call me Dusk

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Your problem will still be a 1 in 20 chance of failing your Will save on a Natural 1 and TPKing the whole party (unless you have a moderately optimized Wizard, in which case, he will most likely be unaffected by anything you do).
    This was one of the reasons i wanted to see if i could use the Crystal of Mind Cloaking. A greater crystal would give me a re-roll on a fail.

Doesn't completely solve the problem but odds are significantly more in favor of not murdering my party. .

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Goblin

Question: Would Indominable Soul feat work against Frenzy?

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Don't start again, please, we tried to explain to you that your idea of FB being walking TPK is wrong lat time, don't make me start again.

Okay, here are some other suggestions:

1) Spread out the party and stay away from FB. What Shneeky worries about so much is possible only if part is all next to each other. During a fight you should spread out. That way if FB will run out of opponents he will have problem attacking you.

2) Have the lowest initiative in the party. Seriously, it saves a great lot of trouble if everybody can move out of your way, making you waste a turn to even get to them, or throw spelsl at you. Especially if you're the slowest guy i nthe group. My party solves my problem by this way - they stay away and fastest member leads me out of the civilians while being slighty beyond my reach.

3) Use bag of tricks. It's written in Frenzy describtion that FB must attack the nearest creature, even if they are not a threat. So make the party throw at you bunch of hrmless animals until you calm down.

4) Take murky-eyed flaw and make others use some form of concealment.

5) Give other party members something to make them invisible.

6) Convince another player to play somebody who can hold his own against you in combat, say War Hulk or Dwarven Defender and make it that he holds you down until you calm down. The roleplay potential for that is glorious.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-11-15 at 12:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Not really, Frenzy isn't a [Mind-affecting] nor a Fear effect (which incidentally are a subset of the former).
    Just call me Dusk

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Not really, Frenzy isn't a [Mind-affecting] nor a Fear effect (which incidentally are a subset of the former).
    Damn, it would solve everything.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Alright so i guess that means the Crystal is not going to work by the book either?

I might still try to bring it up to my DM. I dont think its too unreasonable.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Question: Would Indominable Soul feat work against Frenzy?

Don't start again, please, we tried to explain to you that your idea of FB being walking TPK is wrong lat time, don't make me start again.
    As I recall, you merely delayed the inevitable, declared that 'it couldn't happen' and ignored the problem. Or you declared you would build in weaknesses to the FB which would enable an opponent with an IQ greater than 6 to shut him down completely.

Okay, here are some other suggestions:

1) Spread out the party and stay away from FB. What Shneeky worries about so much is possible only if part is all next to each other. During a fight you should spread out. That way if FB will run out of opponents he will have problem attacking you.
    Pounce really has a way of ruining this. Also, reach-stacking. Large size + Spiked Chain (typical weapon loadout for a charge build focused on area-effect destruction) = 20' radius.

Also, splitting up the party? Always a BAD idea. If you get out of mutual reach of him, you also get out of mutual support range.

2) Have the lowest initiative in the party. Seriously, it saves a great lot of trouble if everybody can move out of your way, making you waste a turn to even get to them, or throw spelsl at you. Especially if you're the slowest guy i nthe group. My party solves my problem by this way - they stay away and fastest member leads me out of the civilians while being slighty beyond my reach.
    Unfortunately, no one knows if the FB is going to try to TPK until it's his turn and he makes or fails his Will save(s). And once he fails that Will save, it's his turn, no one else can do a damn thing.

Also, you're deliberately leaving him open to be neutralized by opponents before he has a chance to act.

3) Use bag of tricks. It's written in Frenzy describtion that FB must attack the nearest creature, even if they are not a threat. So make the party throw at you bunch of hrmless animals until you calm down.
    You won't know if you need to do so. And if you go first, then he will naturally attack these non-allies first. However, that also doesn't trigger the will save, because he hasn't run out of valid opponents yet. Delaying tactic, but doesn't solve the problem.

4) Take murky-eyed flaw and make others use some form of concealment.

5) Give other party members something to make them invisible.
    Go ahead and make him worthless against a good chunk of encounters. I'm sure that'll make him feel REALLY valuable.

6) Convince another player to play somebody who can hold his own against you in combat, say War Hulk or Dwarven Defender and make it that he holds you down until you calm down. The roleplay potential for that is glorious.
    Not gonna happen. FB's deal THOUSANDS of damage a round, with insanely high attack bonuses. NOTHING is going to be able to 'tank that' for one round. Or even one attack
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

It's easy if your DM allows the Frenzied Berserker to willingly fail save against calm emotions. If he doesn't... having your familiar/hireling ready action to use Dust of Sneeing and Choking is expansive but cheaper than resurrection and will buy you time (and more saves). You can use all BFC to keep the FB away from those you don't want hurt.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

I'm first to admit - not familiar with FB.

But couldn't you just buy a couple cheap wands of charm or hold person, and give them to the wizard? That way, sit you in place until the rage wears off.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonnerd View Post
    I'm first to admit - not familiar with FB.

But couldn't you just buy a couple cheap wands of charm or hold person, and give them to the wizard? That way, sit you in place until the rage wears off.
    Works great - if you can willingly fail saves. If you can't then it's not reliable.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am going to agree with ShneekeyTheLost here. Once i start taking FB levels my damage will best be expressed in scientific notation. One charge will most likely kill a party member. This is especially true because the most magical character we have in our party is a Bard.... If i don't limit myself I am going to ruin someone's day.

Oh and i am not stacking reach btw. I am using a Gloiath Greathammer though... I like having a really big hammer...

Marbles will delay me for 1 round maybe if they act first. I am goign to distribute those once i hit the right level. I need to bolster my will though if I don't want to kill everyone. This also helps for preventing others from controlling me. Charge + pounce + power attack + multipliers will still probably kill party members even without the frenzy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Works great - if you can willingly fail saves. If you can't then it's not reliable.
    Actually, if you can get someone some skill in UMD, grab a wand of Stone Shape, and use a charge to build a wall between you, breaking line of sight. Nothing in sight = nothing to mindlessly attack...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I gotta agree with Shneeky, partly because of first hand experience. We had a trap go off on our party that dealt a pitiful amount of damage to everyone (pitfall that rogue hadn't managed to find and also partly plot moving forward). We landed in a heap about 30 feet down, and that pit became our graves very quickly.

And then it happened again. The BBEG had done his research on us and we started facing more and more hit and run attacks. Shoot the berserker and hightail it outta there was a common strategy once enemies knew about it.

Building known weaknesses into your character is dumb. Strengthening your will save is one thing, but why actively gimp yourself just so you don't become the bad kind of murder hobo?
    Always write your character sheet as if you had to give it to someone else to play, and you had to accept and use the character sheet written by a different anonymous player.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Hmm actually grease will stop you - becasue in Frenzy Berserker can't make checks of dex-based skills so you can't move.

Hovewer if I wanted to play FB I'd hope there is some errata out there that would let me move through grease (otherwise I'd be too easy to shut down).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Hmm actually grease will stop you - becasue in Frenzy Berserker can't make checks of dex-based skills so you can't move.

Hovewer if I wanted to play FB I'd hope there is some errata out there that would let me move through grease (otherwise I'd be too easy to shut down).
    There's nothing stopping you from crawling your way out. Sure it'll slow you down a couple rounds, but it's hardly permanent.
    Always write your character sheet as if you had to give it to someone else to play, and you had to accept and use the character sheet written by a different anonymous player.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

While it says "any" dex based skills, it was more than likely intended to be like rage, which does include some of the basic skills, like balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    While it says "any" dex based skills, it was more than likely intended to be like rage, which does include some of the basic skills, like balance.
    Again Frenzy=/= rage, and since the RAW says you can't use any Dex based skills, you cannot use balance while in a Frenzy.
    Just call me Dusk

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Again Frenzy=/= rage, and since the RAW says you can't use any Dex based skills, you cannot use balance while in a Frenzy.
    I enjoy how you've ignored the entire meat of the post, restating something that does not change it at all. Frenzy is not rage, no. They are similar, and yes, I said that it was not rules as written, which you also ignored. I also used the word intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

The Frenzied Berserker who walks a tightrope just to keep killing .

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mari01 View Post
    There's nothing stopping you from crawling your way out. Sure it'll slow you down a couple rounds, but it's hardly permanent.
    It will prevent you from moving untill grease runs out (which can easily be longer than your frenzy)

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details).
    Again - it's RAW, I don't think it makes sense.