Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optimize Monk

1. Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Optimize Monk

Ok, similar to before but I am changing around some levels and what you are using them for

Monk1/Crusader2/Half Orc Paragon 2/Monk1/Crusader2/Runsecarred Berserker 10/Crusader 2

I am not as great with multiclass ToB, normally just straight-class that stuff, but that looks like 13 IL, Antimagic Field, Lots of Rage, Greater Rage, More bonuses with Reckless Rage, and work up your Unarmed Strike damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    Characters: Newest are Obaben and Maha'oi, and the rest are here

2. Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    They don't need anything from out of core. All that Monk optimizing stuff from every possible source out there doesn't even come close to what a T1 can do without any book trawling whatsoever - and most of the reason that Monk is better with outside sources is that the more stuff you have, the more levels of not Monk you can take.
    There is difference between Tier 1 and tier 5 obviously. Still doesn't mean that Monk needs all these sources, as I said, which you had completely ignored, you can do well with only SRD and one, 2 books.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    anything that goes into Epic levels, let alone Level 30, without 9th+ spellcasting is not 'Ultimate' anything.
    If you take in account only one style of roleplaying, plus this is an Epic-level psionic build, consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    And that's why friends dont let friends use Dandwiki!
    Yes, because that some people might not like the name of the build that obviously proves Dandwiki is completely and absolutely worthless.

In all honestly, disregarding something only because it came from D&D wiki is ad hominem,just because you don't like the source doesn't mean it's bad build.

3. Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Tashalatora does not make monk good. It just means Psychic Warrior is good. Psionic Fist is basically the same as Tash. Enlightened and Sacred Fist aren't monks, they're gishes, and make monks good the same way Abjurant Champion makes fighters good.

All of the good monk builds you listed (besides Ultimate Monk, which is a questionable build, and not just because it's on Dandwiki) follow the rule of "monk 2 or 6, something that synergizes with monk for every other level".

4. Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    There is difference between Tier 1 and tier 5 obviously. Still doesn't mean that Monk needs all these sources, as I said, which you had completely ignored, you can do well with only SRD and one, 2 books.
    If by "do well" you mean "replace as many Monk levels as possible with those of a PrC that doesn't suck" then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Frankly, a Wizard can suck even more than a Fighter could ever dream of sucking. A Fighter can stab himself to death, but only a Wizard could Plane Shift to some horrible far realm to be tortured for an eternity of insanity.

5. Top - End - #35
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post

If you take in account only one style of roleplaying, plus this is an Epic-level psionic build, consider that.

Except it's not an epic-level psionic build, because it doesn't have Epic-level psionics either. Psionic Fist caps at 5th level powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

6. Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    All of the good monk builds you listed (besides Ultimate Monk, which is a questionable build, and not just because it's on Dandwiki) follow the rule of "monk 2 or 6, something that synergizes with monk for every other level".
    So? PrC was intended for Monks, then Build combining Monk with it IS a Monk build. I don't think you do any pure builds in this game at all really. I mean, okay, Teir 1 can, but even they can get advantages from getting PrC. What, are you gonna tell me that Monk ceases being Monk because he gets Fis of the Forest or Kensai Levels? Thats ridiculous. Would you say that Barbarian stops being Barbarian because he takes Frenzied Berserker and War Hulk levels? Or that Paladin stops being paladin if he takes levels in Gray Guard? That wizards ceases beign wizard because he takes levels in Archmage or Loremaster? And up to 6 is a legetimate number of levels to take of base class in a good build, regardless of that class - hell, show me how many builds that do straight 10 base/10 PrC rather than up to 6 base/PrC/Other PrC/different class dips. If a PrC was clearly intended for a class, build using that PrC is a legitimate way of optimizing that class. Maybe you should accept that there are ways to play a good monk rather than making such silly excuses?

If by "do well" you mean "replace as many Monk levels as possible with those of a PrC that doesn't suck" then yes.
    No. I meant "combine Monk with good PrCs intended for him".