New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Total Concealment = Invisibility (?)

I was thinking about an encounter with a medusa rogue, and was wondering the following:
    One can shut one's eyes in an effort to avoid having to save against the medusa's petrifying gaze- but does the total concealment that the medusa then gains act like invisibility would? Does it deny the medusa's target the dexterity bonus to AC and allow for the sneak attack dice to be rolled? I think it does, but the total concealment entry on the SRD doesn't specifically mention it.

In case the first questions too easy what about this: will shadows on the plane of shadow effectively always be invisible- I think their entry says they get total concealment in absolute darkness. What does that mean for adventurers on that plane or for shadow society?
    Last edited by vartan; 2012-11-16 at 10:46 PM.
    Long time reader and lurker turned poster

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Total Concealment = Invisibility (?)

If a person has their eyes shut, they count as being blind. You then follow the rules for blindness.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD Blindness
    The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There is also that averting your eyes thing that you can do. I read it in the Rules Compendium, but forgot how it works. Your players may do that and keep their dex bonus. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    There is also that averting your eyes thing that you can do. I read it in the Rules Compendium, but forgot how it works. Your players may do that and keep their dex bonus. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
    Averting your eyes has two effects:
    - the thing you're trying not to look at gains concealment (20% miss chance) relative to you.
    - You have a 50% chance of not having to make a saving throw vs. the gaze gaze attack of that creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)