New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Morality, Paladin in the Party, help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Maybe he's shooting for sacred fist. Cleric would be better than paladin mechanically, sure, but mechanics aren't everything.
    They are if they're the source of the problem and I believe that to be the case here. If he'd just cut the goblin down in a reasonable amount of time we wouldn't be here.

Incidentally, I too got the impression that he was "choking" the goblin as a matter of poor rolls on the grapple. Actually choking out an opponent takes a feat (choke hold; OA) or PrC (reaping mauler; CW) and a single full round of keeping the enemy pinned. Same thing goes for RL, a choke-hold executed by an expert grappler will have you unconcious in a matter of seconds.
    If your poor rolls are consistent enough and bad enough then you shouldn't be playing a class or build that depends upon rolling and should instead be the one forcing others to roll.

That and if he's not good enough at grappling to kill something he's got outclassed in a grapple in a timely manner, it should really make him rethink his build because he's not going to always outclass his opponents like that.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-11-17 at 11:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't see a problem with the paladin's action. I say this with one caveat, however; was this "well armed" goblin the only one left? If he had an ally around to beg for quarter, then the whole situation changes. If not, then it was a conclusion to a combat. Good marks mercy, but evil doesn't mark its absence. Evil marks intentional cruelty.

The paladin killed an evil creature to prevent it from comitting further acts of evil (presumably, he did detect evil, right?).

You can do a paladin that's more lawful than good, but he'll be walking a fine line.

Bottom lines: the paladin didn't grossly violate the CoC, and he didn't commit an unquestionably evil act, though it certainly wasn't an act of good. Far more importantly, the DM didn't have a problem with it, so neither should you. Your character can think as good or ill of the action as you choose, but whether the paladin should've fallen is none of his, or your, concern.
    From what I see of the situation, the paladin did nothing but walk over and start a fight without warning, while his teammate was attempting to negotiate.

Furthermore, not only did he start a fight, but he started a fight with a group that seems to have had a legitimate grievance, not one who's trying to waylay the party for any nefarious means. There's no indication that that goblin party was evil, especially in a world that is described as "Having concrete Good and Evil, but by and large the species aligned with Evil are only doing so because it's how they were raised and can be redeemed".

Furthermore, the idea that "killing Evil people is not an evil act" is simplistic in the extreme. It's basically saying that people who detect as Evil do not have the right to live. Which, in a D&D cosmology that is pretty much predicated on the existence of both good and evil, is pretty definitively not true.

Personally, in my game the Paladin likely wouldn't have fallen immediately, but he'd know that this is not acceptable behavior for a Paladin, and might be hit with some penalty the next time he attempted to use one of his class features. I don't like doing immediate falls unless it's a grossly evil act, and while I think this particular one was fairly repugnant, it was a situation in which combat was very likely, and it was a situation in which his opponent likely would have tried to kill him or his friends in the future. But Paladins are not about taking the easy way out, in my mind, at least.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I think the discussion here on whether what he did was evil or necessary proves that you shouldn't simply impose an external morality, because some players are bound to disagree. But you should discuss the morality in the group, and make sure the Paladin engages with that issue. No matter how you turn it, a Paladin has to engage the issue of morality. You can't simply be completely amoral (which is probably the default behaviour of adventurers). And saying it's necessary in order to meet your strategic goals is amoral.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    They are if they're the source of the problem and I believe that to be the case here. If he'd just cut the goblin down in a reasonable amount of time we wouldn't be here.

If your poor rolls are consistent enough and bad enough then you shouldn't be playing a class or build that depends upon rolling and should instead be the one forcing others to roll.

That and if he's not good enough at grappling to kill something he's got outclassed in a grapple in a timely manner, it should really make him rethink his build because he's not going to always outclass his opponents like that.
    We not only don't, but can't know if the goblin's lingering death was because of average-ish rolls not being good enough, or if it was simply an anomolous string of low rolls. Monk and paladin both get a bum rap around this forum, not because they're completely incapable, but because, barring serious optimization, many other classes outperform them in their typical roles. I also think the fact he chose to fluff his grapple checks to do damage as a choke-hold may have a bit to do with why this thread was started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    From what I see of the situation, the paladin did nothing but walk over and start a fight without warning, while his teammate was attempting to negotiate.

Furthermore, not only did he start a fight, but he started a fight with a group that seems to have had a legitimate grievance, not one who's trying to waylay the party for any nefarious means. There's no indication that that goblin party was evil, especially in a world that is described as "Having concrete Good and Evil, but by and large the species aligned with Evil are only doing so because it's how they were raised and can be redeemed".

Furthermore, the idea that "killing Evil people is not an evil act" is simplistic in the extreme. It's basically saying that people who detect as Evil do not have the right to live. Which, in a D&D cosmology that is pretty much predicated on the existence of both good and evil, is pretty definitively not true.

Personally, in my game the Paladin likely wouldn't have fallen immediately, but he'd know that this is not acceptable behavior for a Paladin, and might be hit with some penalty the next time he attempted to use one of his class features. I don't like doing immediate falls unless it's a grossly evil act, and while I think this particular one was fairly repugnant, it was a situation in which combat was very likely, and it was a situation in which his opponent likely would have tried to kill him or his friends in the future. But Paladins are not about taking the easy way out, in my mind, at least.
    I never said killing evil creatures was never evil. I will however, repeat the actual alignment system rule; killing an evil creature to prevent further acts of evil is not an inherently evil act, it's morally neutral at best.

There's a huge difference between an act approved by good and an act that's simply accepted by good. The former would be called a good act and the latter a neutral act.

The goblin's death was acceptable, though not laudable, because the paladin acted in self-defense. Evil or not, that goblin was almost certainly there for blood, unless the OP's DM has written an entirely different culture around the goblinoid races. He could've spared the creature, sure. It might even have been a good act if he had, but it also likely would've opened him and the rest of the party up to later attempts at repraisal. Even if the goblin wasn't evil, this is true.

Like I said before, it's not fall worthy, IMO, because though it certainly wasn't a good act, it almost certainly wasn't an evil act either. The paladin's code requires that he never do evil, not that he must only do good.

One of the biggest hurdles the alignment system runs into, IME, is that people get into a binary mindset; either an act is good or its evil. The alignment system has three bands on that scale though, not two. Not only can an act can be neither good nor evil, most acts don't inherently fall into either category. You combine this with people making rulings based on actual morality rather than the game's morality rules and you get into all kinds of unpleasant discussions. The fact that morality is such an emotionally charged subject doesn't help matters either.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-11-18 at 04:06 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #35

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    "I choked a guy unconscious and then cut his throat to be nice about it."
    I believe I've found a new signature quote...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I never said killing evil creatures was never evil. I will however, repeat the actual alignment system rule; killing an evil creature to prevent further acts of evil is not an inherently evil act, it's morally neutral at best.
    You want to talk about the system, alright. Let me go grab the book (of Exalted Deeds)... One of the traits outright stated as a marker of good is mercy.

There's a huge difference between an act approved by good and an act that's simply accepted by good. The former would be called a good act and the latter a neutral act.
    No contest here, acts can fit any of the 9 slots or anywhere in between.

The goblin's death was acceptable, though not laudable, because the paladin acted in self-defense. Evil or not, that goblin was almost certainly there for blood, unless the OP's DM has written an entirely different culture around the goblinoid races. He could've spared the creature, sure. It might even have been a good act if he had, but it also likely would've opened him and the rest of the party up to later attempts at repraisal. Even if the goblin wasn't evil, this is true.
    Wrong! It was self-defence right up until the moment the goblin hit 0 hit points. Now then, I know death happens, and I'm not saying that killing your foe in battle is an evil act in and of itself. But, I am saying killing someone after you have knocked them out (i.e. removed them from the battle), that is CE.

Like I said before, it's not fall worthy, IMO, because though it certainly wasn't a good act, it almost certainly wasn't an evil act either. The paladin's code requires that he never do evil, not that he must only do good.
    In conclusion, that Paladin should have a fall on the way, or a warning from their god at the least.

One of the biggest hurdles the alignment system runs into, IME, is that people get into a binary mindset; either an act is good or its evil. The alignment system has three bands on that scale though, not two. Not only can an act can be neither good nor evil, most acts don't inherently fall into either category. You combine this with people making rulings based on actual morality rather than the game's morality rules and you get into all kinds of unpleasant discussions. The fact that morality is such an emotionally charged subject doesn't help matters either.
    No contest here, as before. I just say the act in question falls into evil.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63
    You want to talk about the system, alright. Let me go grab the book (of Exalted Deeds)... One of the traits outright stated as a marker of good is mercy.
    Book of Exalted Deeds is not in play at all tables, and presents several concepts of morality that don't fit into the paradigm of general D&D Alignment. Remember, the behavior described in BoED - assuming you subscribe to its tenets - is not just Good, but "Exalted." Characters adhering to those morals are transcending the morality of the majority by design.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Book of Exalted Deeds is not in play at all tables, and presents several concepts of morality that don't fit into the paradigm of general D&D Alignment. Remember, the behavior described in BoED - assuming you subscribe to its tenets - is not just Good, but "Exalted." Characters adhering to those morals are transcending the morality of the majority by design.
    True, but Paladins are supposed to be morally above others anyway, so I thought it fit. I know not everyone uses the book, but it's what I had to read from, c'est la vie.

Really, the act a normal player would ever do that I consider evil enough to ping on the evil-o-meter is "Killing a defenseless sentient", and the Paladin in question is guilty as charged. (Please note, I do have other acts that ping, but most players don't go near them, as they are even more clearly evil and can't really be discussed here.)

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

9. - Top - End - #39

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    The BoED isn't that great, but it gets a lot more hate than it really deserves. There really isn't anything new about the idea that Good characters are expected to show a reasonable amount of mercy to their enemies, and that section (like most of the BoED) is not specifically for Exalted characters but describes Good in general.

Now does that mean your CG Ranger with Favored Enemy Goblinoid is going to get kicked down to Neutral for killing a few surrendering Gobos? No, of course not; Good characters can commit occasional Evil acts without an alignment check, as long as their overall behavior is consistent with the ideals of Good. The Paladin, on the other hand, is held to a higher standard as a living ideal of Lawful Good behavior and would likely fall for the same behavior.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It all comes down to the nature of goblins really. If goblins are irredeemably evil, then you are basically dealing with something on the level of a talking animal. Yes, they can use tools and hold a conversation, but attempts at punishment or imposing justice are as futile on them as they are on a pack of wolves or tigers or rabbits.

The morality of killing it in this scenario registers on the same level as killing a helpless animal, which means you measure it by the effect it has on the person committing/witnessing the act, rather than the effect it has on the goblin itself. This was a clean kill, no undue suffering on the part of the goblin that might disturb other party members or inure the paladin to the suffering he causes, so a neutral act.

If, as you stated before, there is nothing that is irredeemably evil in this campaign, and evil is instead a choice, then justice could be imposed on the goblin. As the goblin was helpless, he was not an imminent threat to the party and was at the paladin's mercy. The moral nature of the goblin and the circumstances of its death makes this murder. Paladin falls.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post
    Wrong! It was self-defence right up until the moment the goblin hit 0 hit points. Now then, I know death happens, and I'm not saying that killing your foe in battle is an evil act in and of itself. But, I am saying killing someone after you have knocked them out (i.e. removed them from the battle), that is CE.

The question is still, "What should he have done in this situation, then, to not be evil?" Is breaking the goblin's neck really any worse than leaving him out in the sun to slowly die (assuming the coyotes don't get him first)?

12. - Top - End - #42

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It all comes down to the nature of goblins really. If goblins are irredeemably evil, then you are basically dealing with something on the level of a talking animal. Yes, they can use tools and hold a conversation, but attempts at punishment or imposing justice are as futile on them as they are on a pack of wolves or tigers or rabbits.

The morality of killing it in this scenario registers on the same level as killing a helpless animal, which means you measure it by the effect it has on the person committing/witnessing the act, rather than the effect it has on the goblin itself. This was a clean kill, no undue suffering on the part of the goblin that might disturb other party members or inure the paladin to the suffering he causes, so a neutral act.

If, as you stated before, there is nothing that is irredeemably evil in this campaign, and evil is instead a choice, then justice could be imposed on the goblin. As the goblin was helpless, he was not an imminent threat to the party and was at the paladin's mercy. The moral nature of the goblin and the circumstances of its death makes this murder. Paladin falls.
    Goblins (and other Goblinoids, and Orcs, and Kobolds, and...) are Often Evil; in the terminology of D&D 3.5 that means that ~45% of their population is Evil, and it outright states that culture and religion are the key factors in that. DMs are free to change that, like any other rule, but it should be clearly indicated and Players are to assume RAW (within sensible limits).

Surrendering Goblins are, by RAW, entitled to the same degree of mercy you'd show anyone else. Killing them is an Evil act, and thus if a Paladin kills them they're looking at a potential fall. Anyone else, I'd say cut them a break, but Pallies are supposed to be above that.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Goblins (and other Goblinoids, and Orcs, and Kobolds, and...) are Often Evil; in the terminology of D&D 3.5 that means that ~45% of their population is Evil, and it outright states that culture and religion are the key factors in that. DMs are free to change that, like any other rule, but it should be clearly indicated and Players are to assume RAW (within sensible limits).
    And, in the context of this thread, the DM has made a ruling that was clearly indicated to the Players, so RAW doesn't enter in to the discussion.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

We not only don't, but can't know if the goblin's lingering death was because of average-ish rolls not being good enough, or if it was simply an anomolous string of low rolls.
    We can and shall know!

The lingering death was due to minimum damage being rolled over 3-4 rounds*.

We use hit locations for narrative fluff, and he originally rolled a head. I believe, according to the Paladin's player's description, he was attempting a head lock/death by noogie - basically, grappling and doing damage to the head/head area.

It should probably be noted that the well quipped Goblin had 2 character levels*

Goblins (and other Goblinoids, and Orcs, and Kobolds, and...) are Often Evil; in the terminology of D&D 3.5 that means that ~45% of their population is Evil, and it outright states that culture and religion are the key factors in that.
    You know, that's kinda.. horrible.. in its own right. Even assuming all characters are equally exposed to the same varieties of Goblin life experience, less than half of the Goblin population is 'Evil' and even then, if what you state is accurate, they're essentially conditioned by their religions and social systems.

To my mind, that would make the 'Good' character who slays all Goblins because they're 'Evil' the exception, one working on a gross assumption.

However, we could argue that all the non-Evil goblins aren't likely to be the one's out mugging adventures.

Kinda like humans I guess..

Still again, context trumps all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks all for the input - lots to think about. Personally I agree with the sentiment that, once the Goblin had been rendered unconscious, snapping its neck, in the face of appeals from other party members, was not GOOD, but not likely to cause an instant fall.

Instead, a possible continuation of a slow and slippery fall into EVIL.

Caps GOOD and EVIL represent ideals, personified and presented within the campaign. Personal alignment can be rationalised endlessly - it's all about who/what's attention you're attracting and the consequences of such attention.

Characters can seemingly argue what constitutes 'Good' to GOOD at their leisure. Characters arguing what constitutes 'Evil' to EVIL are likely to end horribly horribly.. ..dead'ed.

Last edited by O.L.Scudmungus; 2012-11-18 at 11:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Orcs are Often Chaotic Evil- which means less than 50% are Chaotic Evil. However, an unknown proportion of the remainder will be Neutral Evil or Lawful Evil, and we cannot know for sure how many are Not Evil. One of the later MMs- I think MMIV- does say that the most common alignment after CE is CN- so the proportion that are Not Evil may actually be quite high.

Goblins, by contrast, are Usually Neutral Evil- which means that more than 50% will be Neutral Evil, and an unknown amount will be the other alignments.

In both of these cases, "culture" may play as much, or more, a part, than "inborn tendencies".

BoED does suggest that killing prisoners is inappropriate for Good characters- but it also states that Execution does not qualify as evil- so a case can be made that if the character has "the power to condemn"- then they may judge the victim, impose a death penalty if appropriate, and carry it out, without violating the normal principle of Not Killing Prisoners.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    "I choked a guy unconscious and then cut his throat to be nice about it."
    I believe I've found a new signature quote...
    I think this is one of those cases where I'd rather not have attribution, please.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by O.L.Scudmungus View Post
    We can and shall know!

The lingering death was due to minimum damage being rolled over 3-4 rounds*.

We use hit locations for narrative fluff, and he originally rolled a head. I believe, according to the Paladin's player's description, he was attempting a head lock/death by noogie - basically, grappling and doing damage to the head/head area.
    Death by noogie? That is awesome.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by visigani View Post
    I agree. The Paladin was in no danger. He didn't just kill a foe. He murdered him. he caused undue and unnecessary pain and suffering. Killing the last guy in a fight is one thing, strangling the life out of him with your bare hands while he's helpless is quite another.

That Paladin went over to the dark side in a hard way. He had a perfect opportunity to show mercy, and instead he murdered a helpless victim.
    I third this. Everything the Paladin did was all well and good until the strangulation part. At that point, he slipped to the dark side. If I were DM, I would probably have penalized the paladin with an XP loss and suggested atonement.
    "I drank what?"

--Socrates

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    BoED does suggest that killing prisoners is inappropriate for Good characters- but it also states that Execution does not qualify as evil- so a case can be made that if the character has "the power to condemn"- then they may judge the victim, impose a death penalty if appropriate, and carry it out, without violating the normal principle of Not Killing Prisoners.
    Not having the book, does it suggest that Execution, capital E, is a formal process?

I can see a good case being made for Execution, as punishment metered out by a ruling body, to be 'not EVIL' - possibly not GOOD, but still, far more tolerable* than a simply 'killing', at least to a society so 'civilised' by said ruling body.

Granted, it would also reveal insight into the writers influences.

*for a given value of 'tolerable'.
    Last edited by O.L.Scudmungus; 2012-11-18 at 04:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

NecromancerGuy

We not only don't, but can't know if the goblin's lingering death was because of average-ish rolls not being good enough, or if it was simply an anomolous string of low rolls.
    If it's a string of low damage rolls it should give the man pause to consider how he'd have still managed to kill it more quickly if he'd been using a suitable weapon and been rolling low on damage with it.

If it were a case of average rolls not being good enough, then that's a teachable moment for him to learn how to build a character that's not rubbish at its job. Because, seriously, if you're doing about what you should and you're not performing at a certain baseline level of competence, that's not fun unless one is out to play an incompetent character, which is a bit rude to do without consulting with one's fellows.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-11-18 at 04:58 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

If it's a string of low damage rolls it should give the man pause to consider how he'd have still managed to kill it more quickly if he'd been using a suitable weapon and been rolling low on damage with it.

If it were a case of average rolls not being good enough, then that's a teachable moment for him to learn how to build a character that's not rubbish at its job. Because, seriously, if you're doing about what you should and you're not performing at a certain baseline level of competence, that's not fun unless one is out to play an incompetent character, which is a bit rude to do without consulting with one's fellows.
    OP clarified that it was in fact an anomolous string of "minimum" rolls. This goblin's lingering death was just bad luck.

As for the whole, "once he was unconcious he was a prisoner" nonsense, the goblin was at negative hit-points and dying since the monk had been making grapple checks for lethal damage. Snapping his neck prevented him from spending up to a minute bleeding internally before dying at best, or possibly days of exposure to the elements and predators if he'd had the misfortune to make a stabalization roll. The coup de grace was a mercy, if anything, not an execution of a helpless prisoner.

The player's (or perhaps even the OP's) choice to describe it as choking the goblin is causing some confusion here.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

OP clarified that it was in fact an anomolous string of "minimum" rolls. This goblin's lingering death was just bad luck.
    Bad luck, maybe. Or possibly good luck to get him to explore and consider other options than choking a *****, which I've only ever seen to be a bit of a poor technique with very little return on time and sweat invested in getting it up to snuff.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-11-18 at 05:37 PM.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

IHS "Paladin CoC". problem solved.

(sorry, I just discovered Iron Heart Surge last night I it's my favorite poorly worded thing ever :)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Bad luck, maybe. Or possibly good luck to get him to explore and consider other options than choking a *****, which I've only ever seen to be a bit of a poor technique with very little return on time and sweat invested in getting it up to snuff.
    Grappling can run into problems if the DM likes to use as much of the massive variety of opponents that are availabe as he can reasonably explain, but in a campaign with an emphasis on interactions between humanoids, something an emphasis on morality certainly suggests IMO, it can be quite a powerful option.

Again, we have too little to go on to make heads or tails of whether this is, or is not, a poor choice.

As for the "choking" thing; this whole thread probably would've been much clearer (if it came up at all) had the player or OP fluffed the attack as cranking the neck until it snapped instead, or if the player hadn't been pidgeonholed, by an unnecessary roll of the dice, into fluffing the grapple checks for damage as an attack on the creature's head.

The goblin could've been making quite a fuss (making the unfortunate discussion with the crusader difficult or impossible, since the monk could've claimed "I couldn't hear you over his goblinoid curses in my ears") or even offered a surrender instead of just gagging until it went limp.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianBlade View Post
    I third this. Everything the Paladin did was all well and good until the strangulation part. At that point, he slipped to the dark side. If I were DM, I would probably have penalized the paladin with an XP loss and suggested atonement.
    Wait, grappled made him fall or coup de gracing after guy was dying?

26. - Top - End - #56

I don't see a problem with the paladin's action. I say this with one caveat, however; was this "well armed" goblin the only one left? If he had an ally around to beg for quarter, then the whole situation changes. If not, then it was a conclusion to a combat. Good marks mercy, but evil doesn't mark its absence. Evil marks intentional cruelty.

The paladin killed an evil creature to prevent it from comitting further acts of evil (presumably, he did detect evil, right?).

You can do a paladin that's more lawful than good, but he'll be walking a fine line.

Bottom lines: the paladin didn't grossly violate the CoC, and he didn't commit an unquestionably evil act, though it certainly wasn't an act of good. Far more importantly, the DM didn't have a problem with it, so neither should you. Your character can think as good or ill of the action as you choose, but whether the paladin should've fallen is none of his, or your, concern.
    The Paladin initiated combat with a group of people who were negotiating with the Crusader. He "challenged" the goblin to single combat by grabbing it in the middle of a conversation, choked it unconscious and snapped it's neck. All because the goblin had accused the party of murder and may have sought it's own brand of "justice" if the Crusader failed negotiations.

We don't have any information about how any negotiations that were dealt with, were going. The Paladin attacked during parley a Chaotic act and killed his "opponent" who so far hasn't been revealed as attacking. It was self defence up until the point where the Paladin decided he'd rather people fight and die, than talk.

Party walks into a city and find a group of goblins sleeping nearby, said goblins have set themselves up as traders, are armed and there are children there. Pally kills them all because, well, they're goblins and we know goblins are evil, right? Young uns would only grow up and be evil goblins, so best prevent them from ever doing more evil than they may have already.
    No problem here.

Nothing was mentioned about whether the group of goblins the party encountered were actually evil. Killing a group of people because they may be evil and may commit evil acts, is at worst, Neutral?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    The Paladin initiated combat with a group of people who were negotiating with the Crusader. He "challenged" the goblin to single combat by grabbing it in the middle of a conversation, choked it unconscious and snapped it's neck. All because the goblin had accused the party of murder and may have sought it's own brand of "justice" if the Crusader failed negotiations.
    Show me where the op said this, exactly.

All I remember reading is that the goblin said he was there because someone in the party killed his brother. I don't remember the crusader saying a thing until after combat was already begun. I do remember the OP saying that the paladin issued his challenge as he was taking his first shot, but for all we know he took that first shot because the DM called for innitiative and he won. Short of the OP giving us a much more explicit description of events, we don't know how exactly it went down.

We don't have any information about how any negotiations that were dealt with, were going. The Paladin attacked during parley a Chaotic act and killed his "opponent" who so far hasn't been revealed as attacking. It was self defence up until the point where the Paladin decided he'd rather people fight and die, than talk.
    We don't know that there were negotiations to break down. You're making an assumption here. Paladins can take chaotic actions with no penalty, until they've taken enough of them that the DM says his alignment changes.

Party walks into a city and find a group of goblins sleeping nearby, said goblins have set themselves up as traders, are armed and there are children there. Pally kills them all because, well, they're goblins and we know goblins are evil, right? Young uns would only grow up and be evil goblins, so best prevent them from ever doing more evil than they may have already.
    No problem here.
    That's a completely different (nevermind irrelevant) situation that has nothing to do with what actually happened. That would, of course, be an evil act based on racism. A paladin definitely should fall harder than a comet in that situation. However, by the morality of D&D killing isn't an evil act in and of itself. Whether a kill is good, evil, or neither is dependent on its circumstances and motivation. Killing someone so they won't kill you in a fair combat is neutral. Unless the OP actually says the goblin tried to parley first, there's no reason to assume he did. For all we know the goblin pulled an Inigo Montoya; "You killed my brother, prepare to die."

Nothing was mentioned about whether the group of goblins the party encountered were actually evil. Killing a group of people because they may be evil and may commit evil acts, is at worst, Neutral?
    Not what I said at all. Killing someone who was there to kill you is neutral. His alignment and motivations for that desire are irrelevant.

We're both making assumptions here. If there was an actual parley, then I'll happily concede that you're right. If there wasn't then what I've said holds. Until the OP gives us a clearer picture, we're a couple of schroedinger's cats.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Honestly, ya'll have provided more than enough feedback and have really helped produce some insight into the situation, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm done here.

For final clarification sake: Yes, the Paladin started the fight, in as much as he walked up to the leader of the Goblins and attempted to strike it.

Of course, having a pretty shocking BAB, the Paladin/Monk missed - which he then claimed later wasn't an aggressive act, because he would have appeared 'unarmed' and failed to connect with the strike.

SO YES....

thanks all.

29. - Top - End - #59

That's a completely different (nevermind irrelevant) situation that has nothing to do with what actually happened. That would, of course, be an evil act based on racism. A paladin definitely should fall harder than a comet in that situation.
    It could be argued in that situation I created, however, that the goblins were preparing for some evil act and that it is better to kill the children while they're young, so they don't grow up to be evil, or plot some revenge for their evil kin.
    Scorched earth is a very effective strategy for dealing with evil, when there's no life or even undead, can there really be any evil?

We're both making assumptions here. If there was an actual parley, then I'll happily concede that you're right. If there wasn't then what I've said holds. Until the OP gives us a clearer picture, we're a couple of schroedinger's cats.
    For final clarification sake: Yes, the Paladin started the fight, in as much as he walked up to the leader of the Goblins and attempted to strike it.
    So here we go, the thread isn't about a Paladin, it's about Miko Miyazaki as a player. Someone who appears to believe playing as a Paladin, makes everything they do, both Lawful and Good. As evidenced by this little gem.

Of course, having a pretty shocking BAB, the Paladin/Monk missed - which he then claimed later wasn't an aggressive act, because he would have appeared 'unarmed' and failed to connect with the strike.
    So, the same city, with the same goblin traders and children. Pally walks in and starts making a lot of noise about how they're "evil goblins" and he's going to kill them all. Traders pick up their weapons to defend themselves and Pally kills them all saying it was self defence because they were armed.

Both situations are more similar than they appear. Both involve goblins who are usually Evil. In both cases the Paladin starts the fight, unprovoked. The Paladin kills a defenceless sentient in both scenarios. And the Paladin's justification is pathetic, marginally better than "it's Lawful and Good because I'm a Paladin, and Paladins are Lawful Good."

O.L.Scudmungus, I want to know this Paladin's future. His fall, the actions that lead to the fall and his eventual destruction. Could you please update me about any future adventures?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    O.L.Scudmungus, I want to know this Paladin's future. His fall, the actions that lead to the fall and his eventual destruction. Could you please update me about any future adventures?
    Sure mon - as and when, you got it.