New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default OP request for a None-Combatant

This might sound a bit odd, but does anyone have a Optimized build for a Character that will not do ANY fighting.

- Level 20 gestalt (no epic stuff allowed)
    - any and all books, settings and (most)dragon mags (
    - no 3rd party or homebrew
    - no flaws.
    - High OP, up to and beyond broken (basically RAW as written)
    - no PunPun or divine ranks, or all things that would make you more powerful then AO.
    - be able to do anything he/she wants to. (i.e. cast the most spells)
    - will not do any fighting, will not do any supporting, or ever see a level appropriate opponent.
    - main purpose is to have a nice, easy, relaxed live (or unlive if you go that way)
    - and to mess with the world as a hobby, but in a way that no one will know what happened or that he/she was involved.
    - Should be somehow Immortal; either Elen, undead, wedded to history, etc...
    - not sure f possible but if time travel can be in the mix, why not.
    - preferably Lawful Neutral or True Neutral, as this would make more sense from a RP perspective; detached, uncaring, but with the occasional interest in the world to see 'if things are running right'. Think Doctor Manhattan with a bit of boredom and humor.

The question is: Why?
    I am currently building a new setting. A modification of plain old grayhawk with some aspects of Eberron. The gods don't really bother to help/hinder the common people very much and it is very rare to find anyone above level 5 or 6.Magic and Tech use is not on the Level of Eberron (yet) but definably farther then FR.

The Character should be some kind of "watchdog" or "guardian" of the world. Even though if the world screws itself over that might or might not be of interest to this character. Even if he/she could change the world to the better or worse, there is no interest in playing god or being worshiped as one, simply curiosity and "lets see what happens next" (even if he/she has already been there or see it)
    He/she might show up on occasion and "do stuff" to/against/for/with the PCs. The agenda that he/she has will never really be explained, but it is definably there. This will NOT be the BBEG, more of a random Character that gives flavor to the world. No npc will know anything about this character or will ever have heard about him/her.

Why make this Character so Op?
    first of all, why not??? I am sure a wizard20//cleric20 can do it, but that would so... lame.
    second, as a little bit of flavor this character will understand D&D for what it is. A table top game with a set of rules that can be bend, abused and sometimes broken.
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OP request for a None-Combatant

This sounds like something that doesn't need stats.

It's also not something I would like to see in a game I am in, but that is really none of my business.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

1) Grab infinite feats (multiple ways to do it by RaW)
    2) Be a spellcaster
    3) Get turn undead
    4) get into RKV

Infinite feats mean, among other things:
    Infinite spell slots (extra slot)
    Infinite spells known (extra spell)
    Infinite swift actions (extra turning + RKV)
    All existing metamagic for free (extra turning + divine metamagic)
    Infinite HPs (toughness)
    Infinite actions if he ever needs them (Celerity + infinite swift actions)
    Last edited by docnessuno; 2012-11-17 at 10:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    This sounds like something that doesn't need stats.
    I second this. Just some sorta outsider with spellcasting whatever you feel like casting as the DM would work. It doesn't even have to be real spells.

You can look in dieties and demi-gods or the ELH or some epic spell casters if you need other ideas, but I wouldn't really sink time into making this a legitimate character.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmm, how about a Wizard 1/Druid 3/Mystic Theurge 3/Arcane Heirophant 10/Mystic Theurge 3//Erudite 5/Thrallherd 10/Erudite 5. Use Precocious Apprentice for MT early entry. You have 9th level arcane and divine spells, 9th level invocations, an Animal Companion with the stat boosts of a 17th level Wizard and a 13th level druid, and a Psicrystal equivalent to an 18th level psion.

He created his own demiplane using Genesis (the 9th level spell, sadly he can't learn the psionic version as it's a 9th level discipline ability) a few hundred times, using a Thought Bottle to escape exp costs, then brought it to life with his Druid spells. Every time he approaches venerable he crafts a contingent Reincarnation and kills himself, then is instantly reborn into an adult body to take advantage of the endlessly stacking mental stat boosts.

The Thrallheard levels are his main method of interacting with the Prime Material. He uses Divination spells to watch the Prime Material when it interests him, then nudges his thralls in the direction he wants them to go to manipulate events and should they die, they die. On the off chance he decides to actually get involved, he usually just sends a Simulacra of himself to take care of it. If he decides to appear personally, there's the endless layering of contingent spells (if you can think of it, he already has at least 3 ways to escape it), the scrying prior to avoid any unforseen difficulties, the Astral Projection, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Grendus; 2012-11-17 at 11:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Grendus: That's not a legal gestalt build...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Killoren, from Races of the Wild: never die of old age.
    Druid 20, use spells to help plants grow, possibly make a hobby of restoring deforested areas.
    Gestalt levels are Unarmed Swordsage 7/ Apostle of Peace 2/ Paragnostic Apostle 5/ Contemplative 3/ Unarmed Swordsage 3, focus on Setting Sun and Shadow Hand for maneuvers and stances.
    This involves Vow of Poverty, Vow of Peace, and Vow of Nonviolence, which is probably extremely fitting for this type of character. Also take the feat Darkstalker (LoM), max Hide and Move Silently, and even give him the Dark Creature template (ToM) for Hide in Plain Sight (+1 LA bought off). With Child of Shadow and casting Camouflage nothing will ever even know he's there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grendus View Post
    Hmm, how about a Wizard 1/Druid 3/Mystic Theurge 3/Arcane Heirophant 10/Mystic Theurge 3//Erudite 5/Thrallherd 10/Erudite 5. Use Precocious Apprentice for MT early entry. You have 9th level arcane and divine spells, 9th level invocations, an Animal Companion with the stat boosts of a 17th level Wizard and a 13th level druid, and a Psicrystal equivalent to an 18th level psion.
    Nice, but why would it not be legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Killoren, from Races of the Wild: never die of old age.
    Druid 20, use spells to help plants grow, possibly make a hobby of restoring deforested areas.
    Gestalt levels are Unarmed Swordsage 7/ Apostle of Peace 2/ Paragnostic Apostle 5/ Contemplative 3/ Unarmed Swordsage 3, focus on Setting Sun and Shadow Hand for maneuvers and stances.
    good going, I like the idea about reforestation.

Those are very close to what I was having in mind! Great ideas and thanks for the help. My op-fu is too weak to come up with stuff like that.
    I found a build in an old thread that might work as well. Any advice on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Domain Wizard 3/Sorc 2/Mindbender 1/Ur-Priest 1/Mystic Theurge 8(adv wiz/UP), Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 4(adv SC/Wiz)//
    Marshal 1/Human Paragon 2(adv wiz)/Bard 1/Human Paragon 1(adv wiz)/Sorc 1/Wizard 1/Sorc 9/Wiz 1/Erudite 1/Sorc 1/Wiz 1/.

Feats: Able Learner(1), Iron Will(human bonus), Lucky Start(HP Bonus) Scribe Scroll(wiz bonus), Invisible Spell(Wizard bonus 5), Spell Focus(evil)(traded familiar out for it), the feat I need for the erudite shenanigans(3), Mindsight(6), Spell Focus(Abj)(9), G Spell Focus(Abj)(12), Make Your Own Luck(15), Tempting Fate(18) Sanctum Spell(Flaw-Noncombatant), Skill Focus(Spellcraft)(Flaw-Shaky).

Also:
    I understand why someone would not what a character in the world that is labeled "Hi I am the DM and need a reason to mess with you" It is a bit of an odd build I know, and he will not be a constant character in the game. He will not help or hinder the PCs in any way shape or form, unless it is in alignment with his agenda. Which is at this time still under-development.

In games I run I do not have things that don't have states. Sometimes i don't have them right there and then, or they are not always necessary (like stating every single red shirt commoner) but even those will have hp and other major things (thy might just all be the same).

I find it respect full to the player not to railroad or to create situations were you know the outcome before the season even starts. Every PC shold have a shot at everything They want to do; as long as it is within the Rules (RAW, RAI and House). What the players do is what the players will do; the world will run around them. A lot of times outside of the players 'view'. There are plots and wars, peace treaties and sports contests. Most of them will go on without the players intervention or participation; or sometime with out the players being aware of how they influenced events.

It may sound like I become very attached to my settings, but this is not really the case. If the players blow up the world or something I either backtrack o an earlier stat (i.e. load a save) or make up a new one. Over time I have become exceedingly efficient at it.
    I find it very fun the "run the world". The players run themselves, I run the world around them. I give them a world to do stuff in, they need to figure out what it is they want to do. I try my best to incorporate their background into the world but after that I as a DM cannot simply say, "well, you died, rocks fell on your head" there needs to be an in-world reason why that is the case. I find the game more fun (as a DM) then the rules of D&D also apply to me.

That being said, I play with very mature people, unfortunately not as often as we like. We try to play together so that all can have fun and do what they like to do; and we usually don't take things to seriously anyway . It is not the DM versus the players and it very rarely happens that I have to say 'sorry, no-go, that would ruin the game'.
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kobold

You can't use mystic theurge and similar in a gestalt character. Mystic theurge is specifically called out as not being available in the gestalt rules.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    You can't use mystic theurge and similar in a gestalt character. Mystic theurge is specifically called out as not being available in the gestalt rules.
    It looks like the Mythic Theurge is combining the Wizard and Druid from the same side. On the other side is the Erudite.
    As far as I always understood, you cannot use a PrC if you combine two classes from both sides into one side.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kobold

"A gestalt character can’t combine two prestige classes at any level, although it’s okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class. Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations-such as the arcane trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight-should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the game master is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it’s available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters."

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...Characters.htm

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Question: why are pun-pun and godhood off the table for this character? I can kinda see godhood being a problem, the other gods might expect you to actually do something godly, but pun-pun is the quintessential "I can do anything, and I can do it better than you," build. He doesn't -have- to take any divine ranks. Hell, he doesn't even have to take any class-levels (except of course the first level to make him a character), but nothing's stopping him from doing so.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

For some reason an ancient gnome lich of sorts comes to mind.

A caster that became so poweful that he is only driven by mischief, curiosity and his own whims and thrills, no longer caring about power for the sake of being powerful. No longer trying to control the world or becoming more powerful, just having fun in his own eternal (undead)life span.

"Now, what would happen if i [insert mischievous plan] in [insert area or organization]...?" *giggles madly and rubs his hands together*

As far as build goes, i'm not too good in this kind of setup, but i'm thinking Wizard//Archivist maybe? Just to not be directly tied in with any god(s).

--

Sounds like a fun idea for a NPC you have there by the way.
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie-ranger View Post
    - main purpose is to have a nice, easy, relaxed live (or unlive if you go that way)
    So he shouldn't have levels in classes that require a ton of work.

Please, everyone, put the prepared casters down and back away slowly.

Sorcerers and Wilders just kinda give you powers without your own input. Binders require about 10 minutes to get all supercharged for the rest of the day, and make conversation during that time. A Meldshaping class is kind of a pain when you need to meditate for an hour, but after you do that, the soulmelds are as permanent as your body until you decide to change them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    "A gestalt character can’t combine two prestige classes at any level, although it’s okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class. Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations-such as the arcane trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight-should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the game master is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it’s available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters."

Notice the should, it is therefore specifically up to the DM. As in, if your DM will let you gestalt a class combo prestiege, they have every right by RAW to allow it.

Current Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Mikael Firebrand II, Lost Nobility
    XM-001, Warforged - Personality + Psionic = ?
    Kurtec, 4e Kobold? Anagram much?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Question: Why are pun-pun and godhood off the table for this character?
    Pun-Pun requires the Sarruhk. Those do not exist.

And the character cannot be a god, because of a setting specific reason why the gods (anything with divine-level or equivalent) is bared from affecting the material plane directly. They can only do it through their clerics and such.
    They also do not care much for the material world or at least as we see it. Again, setting specific the gods are not actual beings, they are more ideas and concepts that have developed a Consciousness. Unlike the Greek-Style gods of standard D&D. They exist only because the idea or concept exist; simply because they are the idea. If a certain concept would vanish, so would the god for it. They still have names, but they are given by the people that worship them, not by the gods them self, they don't care for these mundane things.
    They are very focused on spreading this idea, as this would spread themselves, and therefore guarantee their survival. The gods in this setting are more primal/philosophical forces that exist simple to exist; it is very instinctual and simple. I.E. the god of grows, the circle of life and cultivation exists because things grow, if nothing would grow, he would not exist. He would not 'die' because as soon as something would grow again he would reappear.

I did this for a few reasons:
    They don't have stats. Yes, yes, i know what i said before, but hear me out. They don't have stats because they do not have a body and no single form.
    The standard gods in D&D are FAR too easy to kill. This way it is still possible to "kill" a god, just very very hard. i.e. if you want to kill the god of undeath you would simply have to kill every single undead on the planet, or at least in a VERY large area, like the whole continent. If this would happen clerics that draw their power from the idea of undeath would have a very hard time to cast spells, and would lose power rapidly.
    On the same line If there is a lot of on "idea" present and condensed in a reasonably small area, clerics of that concept would have an easier time casting spells (auto applied mm or reduced mm cost if they have that mm feat)
    This would also give clerics of that 'faith' a reason to spread it. 1st it would give them more power; 2nd it would guaranty that they have power; 3rd it would give a reason for clerics to have conflicts with other clerics. For example: between the church of the god of unlife and the clerics of the god of the natural circle of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Norin View Post
    For some reason an ancient gnome lich of sorts comes to mind.

A caster that became so poweful that he is only driven by mischief, curiosity and his own whims and thrills, no longer caring about power for the sake of being powerful. No longer trying to control the world or becoming more powerful, just having fun in his own eternal (undead)life span.
    "Now, what would happen if i [insert mischievous plan] in [insert area or organization]...?" *giggles madly and rubs his hands together*

As far as build goes, i'm not too good in this kind of setup, but i'm thinking Wizard//Archivist maybe? Just to not be directly tied in with any god(s).
    Sounds like a fun idea for a NPC you have there by the way.
    That's the vibe i was going for!