New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Need help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Need help

Ok guys I need help. In our dnd game (3.5) I just died I was a level 5 sorcerer and now I have no idea what I should reroll and she said I cant be sorceror again. My team is A Monk, A rogue, a cleric, a druid, an elf archer, and a dwarf all around the level 6 area. I am thinking that my team should have another major spell slinger but on the other hand my dm said I should be what I want to be. So I am just so lost there is so much cool stuff out there but I just dont know so some ideas would be greatly appericiated. I always thought a necromancer would be cool but there is not a base necro class. Also I thought a fighter like a Knight would be fun for the game just to annoy the other characters being lawful good "No littering citizen thats against the law" lol I think it would be a blast. PS no bards my monk says he would kill anyone who rolls a bard. thanks guys

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Need help

There are in fact two base necro classes - the Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror, and the Death Master from Dragon Compendium. Either of those should allow you to be an arcane caster again. And when you have a giant zombie ogre following you around with a greatclub, you won't have to take the Monk's threats seriously.

You could also just be a Necromancer Wizard if you wanted to do other things besides necromancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    There are in fact two base necro classes - the Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror, and the Death Master from Dragon Compendium. Either of those should allow you to be an arcane caster again. And when you have a giant zombie ogre following you around with a greatclub, you won't have to take the Monk's threats seriously.

You could also just be a Necromancer Wizard if you wanted to do other things besides necromancy.
    I like you psyren you cracked me up i can imagine that ogre going after him. lol. Which would be more powerful over all? I dont mind if the necro can do other stuff like mage armor or something like that as long as they can hold their own

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Dread Necro is probably stronger since it only needs Charisma (i.e. its spells and rebuking both rely on Cha; compare to the Death Master, who needs Int for spells and Cha for rebuking, and even has an ability or two that need Wis.) The Dread Necro also gets Advanced Learning, which lets it pick up nice necromancy spells from other books, like Avasculate. Finally, the Dread Necromancer automatically knows every spell it can cast, whereas the Death Master must study a spellbook like a wizard.

The Death Master's advantage is that it has a bit more magical variety. While Dread Necro spells are almost universally necromancy, Death Masters get handy non-necromancy spells like Unseen Servant, Gaseous Form, Web and Solid Fog.

So which one is better depends on your playstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

2nd the dread necromancer. Take the corpse crafter line, and then go into the fleshwarper PrC. Lots of fun.

6. - Top - End - #6

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    2nd the dread necromancer. Take the corpse crafter line, and then go into the fleshwarper PrC. Lots of fun.
    Im a little lost Corpse crafter line? Fleshwarper?

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

In the book Libris Mortis, there's a line of feats that are just amazing, that all have the prereq of Corpsecrafter, also a solid feat.

Basically, you undead minions will be more powerful, faster, deal cold damage, and explode with negative energy when they die

I sent some PCs up agains a corpsecrafter DN BBEG once. They didn't make it past the first wave lol.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Im about to be going against a level 15DN and a15 sorcerer/AotS/Fleshwarper In a vally full of undead he has made over 300 years. Oh wait and the giants fell to him first. Lucky for me I have three different turning abilities and all of which will always hit at least a cleric level, normally roll cleric level +3 though so I will be good. My fellow party members though will be having fun trying to keep up. Basically they can make a weal human skeleton in to a force to be reckoned with if equipped properly. And when in large numbers....they go boom when they die hurting you and healing them. SO tuns of fun.