Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 144
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Finishing Strike (IC)

    Map: The Northwest Gate

    Map: The Rosewolf Library

    The City of Finishing Strike is alive and active today.

    Your arrival in the city was surprisingly unremarkable. Apparently, the city is used to housing the occasional adventurer or mercenary, and the city's reputation has made it a popular destination for some of the less-popular races. You did have to have a bit of entrance paperwork filled out, and the guards demanded those of you with weapons (ie, all of you) to fill out an agreement of non-aggression. This essentially gives you a license to carry weapons, but a member of The City Guard will have authority to arrest you if the weapon is outside of its proper sheath/the blade is unwrapped/you appear to be ready to use it within city limits. However, during your stay in the city, you pick up that it may be a good idea to keep away from the City Guard when you have weapons on you regardless. Or if you could possibly appear to be hiding a weapon. Or if you don't have weapons, even. In fact, just stay away from the City Guard. And keep a few extra coins in your pocket, just in case one of them starts talking to you, if you know what I mean. The human, they'd probably ignore him, but if you're green/scaly/feathery/possessing a tail? Yeah, keep your distance. You'll know 'em by the fancy armor and haughty look.

    One of the nicer spots in the city is the Northwest gate. The reason for this, alongside the fact that there's less of the bloody Guard, is that the northwest gate connects the city to the road that leads to the caves. Here, friendlier Cave Dwellers enter the city with wares to sell or gold to spend or just stories to swap. Merchants set up stalls and call out to people of every race crossing by. Along with that, there is the Feather on the Scales Inn, one of the city's simpler but cozier taverns that won't ban you for life just because you started a brawl that one time, and the resident Temple to Pharasma. This was set here to cater to the Cave-Dwellers as well as residents of Finishing Strike. In truth, most cave-dwellers might have preferred a temple to Gorum or Calistria, but the empire of Tholoro doesn't typically smile on their worship. The temple to Pharasma is roomy and elegant, but not quite as well-adorned as the temple to Abadar uptown.

    What brought you to this corner of the city...is your own business. Perhaps you were looking to buy, or looking to find work at the inn, or looking for a drink at the inn, but however it goes, you're here now. And my, is it lovely out. Sun shining steadily, wind moving but not too hard, the bustle of the people on the streets interrupted only by the bellowing cry of a high-pitched voice...

    ...wait a minute...

    "Help! They're coming! Help!"

    The voice is coming from a kobold just outside the gates, who should probably be complimented for getting such small lungs to muster up such an impressive volume. It's probably from the same aerobic training that's allowing him to run so fast away from the four or five skeletons that are chasing him down.

    Choose your starting location on the map and roll initiative!
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-12-13 at 12:37 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    It was a beautiful day, the kind of day that would go well with an apple. Or so the merchant in front of her was trying to convince her.

    It been a good month since Liresha arrived in Finishing Strike. Getting settled and used to the somewhat curious routine of the city had taken time, especially getting used to the guards. She had had various scuffles with city watches in various cities and these seemed initially little different, strong men in fancy parade armor, sheltered with haughty attitudes. The major difference was their insistence on proper papers – permits for weapons, armor, gear, whatever they felt like issuing that day. They kept the peace with a good blend of competence and thuggery.

    She had been asked for hers enough to work out a routine of smiling, nodding and paying them off with a few coins. By now, weeks in, her funds were running low and she had been forced to seek lodgings at a tavern – the Feather on the Scales – located near the Northwest gate. There were fewer guards here, more non-humans coming through to blend in with and a better atmosphere. Fewer shakedowns. Even the inn was enjoyable, so long as one didn’t mind the occasional bar brawl.

    But now, something was happening, the crowd was shifting. And in the background there was some kind of noise, like a tiny person screaming. Or a dog wheezing.
    Strange.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    C.W.R.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    It was a day, just like any other. There were a few clouds, but nothing that suggested rain. There was a breeze, but it was light, and whatever relief it gave was cancelled out by the beaming sun.

    The world was in perfect balance, equilibrium. It was like the calm before the storm, a point in which things are so normal, that they had to start swinging.

    This was what battlefields felt like, before the battle. The air was mystic. Most everyone knew that the battle would take place soon, so the entire place would be abandoned. The grasses of the field were alone, rustling in the wind.

    Until the horns sounded...

    This was Halphax's fourth day in town. He had entered through the Northwestern Gate. The guards left him alone enough, they'd jeer occasionally, but they hadn't let approached him for a donation to the town's security.

    It was almost sad. Sad how those who had power would squander it so. Halphax shook his head, rustling his cloak. Ultimately power was for the sake of power, for the sake of legacy. Yet these guards' lives were ultimately pointless; they would no more be remembered then the hunched burghers they harrased.

    Halphax had stayed in the inn since his arrival. He spent most of his time at the inn in his room, meditating. Alcohol just didn't do much but make him dizzy, and he had to desire to spar.

    He really hadn't done much since arriving. He'd walked the city, absorbing his surroundings. He'd lurk on the roofs, watching people mill around, finding patterns in the apparent chaos. The human idiom of "go with the flow" was almost literal, he'd learned. People definitely moved like water, flowing through the streets and avenues. Yet, philosophy didn't pay the innkeep.

    He'd seen a poster on tavern's wall when heading up to his room, and had decided to take a look. It was a male human's portrait, nobody special, but the poster said there was a reward. Halphax had spent the next day tracking him down, and turned the criminal into the authorities. It was easy money, but unsastifying. He never even got a chance to learn the man's name.

    Oh well, soon, soon, destiny would...

    Hmm...

    Perhaps there it is now.

    Halphax didn't believe in altruism, it made everyone weaker, but the temptation was too much to resist. To really make his name.

    Would it break his axioms?

    He'd be making the kobold reliant on him, but only temporary, and it would be more of a personal gain then anything.

    Yes, it was time to make himself a name in this town.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    I arrived in the morning that day. I spent most of the morning doing nothing. Well, I spent what I had left of it after I had to file all that paperwork. I swear the guard with the mustache had been giving me the evil eye the whole time I was doing it.
    Oh well, at least he didn't just outright refuse to acknowledge my existence. The ones back home did that sometimes.
    I wasn't in any big rush to get a job on my first day and my rear was still sore from the wooden bench on the caravan, so I just relaxed, sampled some of the food vendor's stalls, and watched the crowd come and go. If anyone from the Inn disliked me leaning against their building, they didn't say anything.
    And then some poor sap starts yelling for help.
    Well, this looks like a job for...
    Well, actually I've got no idea what it looks like, since I can't see it. But the people who can seem rather worried, so I assume it isn't good. I sigh as I leave my place at the wall.
    I'd best take a look and do something; I'd hate for some bloke to get himself killed when I was right here.

    (On my turn: double-move to U14)
    Last edited by LordDeathkeeper; 2012-11-17 at 10:50 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    C.W.R.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Halphax dashed forward, ducking past the merchants and commoners. His hood fell, and his revealed visage startled some of the humans.

    Pushing through the shoppers and stall-owners, Halphax rushed out towards the gate.

    It was time to show the world what he was made of.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Double Move to T14.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Nihilarian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Abe stares up at the sky.

    He'd been to the temple of Pharasma today. Over the past month, he'd been all over the city, in fact. He'd thought of joining the guards, convinced they were just in questioning the monstrous folk of the town more often. Yet he kept seeing coin exchange hands, and the monstrous folk didn't seem any different from the humans, and he wasn't really sure what to think. The thought of getting on a ship made him seasick, so he passed up the Sea Blades. He was still searching for something, and he wasn't really sure what. When he joined Wolfram Lane Unofficial, he thought that he would be helping people, yet it seemed they didn't trust him enough to set him to work yet.

    Pharasma's priest had been fairly dry. Nothing had struck a cord today either. He accidently bumped into a woman, and was apologizing when he heard a scream. He whipped around and saw the commotion. He wasn't sure about the kobold, but the undead were not here to go to market.

    Abe draws his crossbow as he moves, firing off a shot at the T3 skeleton.
    Attack: (d20+1)[19](20)
    Damage: (d8)[5](5)

    On a critical threat (19-20)
    Crit Confirm: (d20+1)[20](21)
    Critical Damage: (2d8)[5][5](10)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    It was Kizziar's second day in Finishing Strike. The first had mostly been spent convincing the more nervous villagers that he meant no harm, and although most people still shied away from him, those who'd taken the time to talk to him realized that he'd never hurt anyone who's time had not come. Today he stood outside the temple of Pharasma, preaching to those who would listen the values in death. He still had been able to make a few coins doing odd jobs, but anything he did make went back into food to eat. He spoke to a civilian by a mechant's stall.

    "And those who would seek to make the dead walk, to defy the judgement of the Lady of Graves, shall be judged most harshly when they meet her atop the spire. Those men are the-"

    He heard a scream come from outside the walls, and ran to see what was happening.

    Move 30 ft from M18 to R17

    Kizziar saw a Kobold, with several undead chasing him.

    "The undead must be laid to rest."

    He noticed a Paladin, that had moved up to the same area he had, but ignored him. Kizziar's focus was on the undead, and destroying such a being so disrespectful to his goddess. He draws his greataxe, weapon cord linking it to his arm, and prepares to fight.

    Draw Greataxe, end turn.
    Last edited by BTB; 2012-11-18 at 12:27 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    The screaming seemed to originate from beyond the gate As Liresha looked away from the merchants stand, half eaten apple frozen in the air, she spotted several people seemingly responding to whatever threat lay beyond the walls.
    The crowds were falling back and guards reaching for their weapons.

    And the half orc who had been preaching outside the temple earlier was striding forward while drawing his axe just a someone in a hood rushed towards the gate.

    Clearly something was happening.

    The professionals seemed to have it well in hand, so there was really no call to join in and be heroic. Besides, she had promised not to use her weapon within city limits. And she didn't exactly have enough gold on hand for any sort of treatment, or come to it, burial. All good reasons to run the other way.

    She didn't.

    move from AB 17 to V 14, using two move actions

    Instead, she ran forward before to join the line of (what she hoped was) warriors forming near the gates, dropping her apple behind her as she went.

    Whoever they were, they were not armed or armored like professionals. They looked a motley group next to the standard uniforms of the guards, but at least they had weapons. And they were looking out at an approaching group of what momentary looked like emaciated humans. Except humans generally had skin and organs. No wonder someone was screaming.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    "Gangway!" shouted the reddish kobold, sprinting for all his little legs were worth past the guards and into the city. Behind him the skeletons were in full pursuit. The guard atop the wall gave a shout to his companions, and they quickly mobilized.

    Citizen's reactions were mixed. Some fled the scene. Others got a bit closer, letting their curiosity get the better of them. Others moved slowly into one of the buildings. Merchants either took their time to secure their wares or continued with business as usual, figuring the guards would take care of it. One merchant, standing in front of the Feather on the Scales, unfazedly began shouting "Maces! Fine maces on sale now! Four gold each!"

    Halphax quickly ran forward and took position in the gate. A bit too fast, unable to quickly take his bow off his back. Reaching for it, he noticed his hood had fallen back, revealing the ophiduan's thin, scaley face. He noticed the guard next to him gave him a look, but only briefly. It's hard to be too concerned about a scale-skinned thing not attacking you when there's a skinless monstrosity that is.

    Behind him, Kizziar ended his preaching to deal with more important matters, like hitting things with an axe. He was unable to reach the gate fully, but was close, and hand his weapon in hand.

    Then the skeletons began to hit.

    A few of the animate bone piles were charging for all they were worth, which looked rather silly, but covered the ground in between well enough. Others shambled behind at half the speed of their kin, but were closing in. None of them were armed, nor did they wear so much as a scrap.

    The first one charged at Halphax. It was unarmed, but having all the skin removed from your fingers leaves you with reasonably sharp phalanges, as Halphax found out firsthand as the skeleton dug its pointy fingers into his leather armor.

    Attack: (1d20+2)[11]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[4]

    Another skeleton, this one barely four feet tall, also charged up and began scratching away at one of the city guard. Despite catching him off-guard, it barely managed to scuff his shirt. The guard replied by whipping out his shortsword, but his swing went high.

    A third skeleton, this one normal sized, ran up and brought its bony hands down on a third guard. He tried to block it, but the fingers dug in and left a few small but bloody gashes along his arm. The guard cried out in pain. "Screw this!" he shouted, dodging another blow as he turned and fled, barely noticing the felspawn and Tengu running up to take his place.

    Halphax noted one of the guards who had been resting along a wall run up behind him, and heard him draw his weapon. Then he felt a small wiff of air move past him very quickly. In front of him, the skeleton that had attacked him jerked. Abraham's crossbow bolt shot true, going in right between a pair of ribs and striking the thing's spine. A spinal disc and a few loose fragments of rib flew out behind the monstrosity, and it quickly collapsed, making one last grab at Halphax. The scaled man brushed it off and prepared to take a shot himself.

    However well the shot had been made, it was received less well by the guard running up behind Halphax, who had also felt the gust from the bolt. "Watch it!" he shouted at Abraham. It was an off-hand insult, without another glance, the guard drew his blade and prepared to join the fray.

    Above, a note rang out as the guard on the wall ran into the tower and banged on the warning bell. The group noticed that there was a mechanism in the towers on either side of them. If things got sticky, perhaps the gate could be closed, if the controls could be found.

    And sticky things could get. Somewhere up ahead, they noticed another skeleton approaching. This one was shambling, not sprinting, and was small, but was moving closer as well...
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-11-18 at 05:53 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    I see the guard running away.

    "Well, so much for hoping they'd help."

    A paladin and a guard are in front of me, one of the larger skeletons with them. I notice the gate can be closed, but pay it no heed. The undead must be brought to to their final destination, and it will be my job to bring them there. I step forward and raise my axe to bring it down upon the skeleton in front of the paladin.

    (1d20+2)[10](12)

    I can think of no use for my move action, so I end my turn. On the off chance that attack actually hit.

    [rollv]1d12+3[/rollv]
    Last edited by BTB; 2012-11-18 at 07:18 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    For some reason I can't get that roll in my last post to work. Let's try it again.

    (1d12+3)[8](11)

    Once again, that's damage on the very slight chance I actually hit them.
    Last edited by BTB; 2012-11-18 at 07:28 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    C.W.R.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    That, was close.

    The skeleton's sharp claws had failed to do more that scratch the leater, but still, it had been a while since he'd been this sort of danger.

    He'd like to say that it was exhilirating, but he believed he was a just wise enough to say that it was merely a physical response.

    His mind was his own, and he did his best to push all emotion from it.

    Focus, he needed focus.

    His reptillian eyes darted around. Around him, others were fighting the monsters, a few guards, and some strangers.

    He looked at the man who assisted him using the crossbow. It was a bit aggravating, he could have dealt with it himself, but at least no one would blame him for the Kobold.

    Time to focus.

    Halphax breathed in deep, drawing his bow, nocking the arrow with mechanical percision. He swung around his arms, throwing his body into a half-crouched stance. The arrow tip found itself pointing itself towards the skeleton to his left, engaged with the guardsmen.

    Halphax breathed, made a few adjustments, and released the arrow, letting it soar.


    Spoiler
    Show

    Move action to draw bow, free action to load arrow, and standard action to attack the skeleton at R14.
    Halphax recieves bonus from Point-Blank Shot.
    Attack: (d20+4)[23]
    Damage:(1d8+1)[3]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    There was a bird near her, a bird armed with swords and wearing armor. This was not something she had quite experienced before - although, supposedly, if the dead could walk, it did not seem a long shot for avians to develop martial needs.

    The guardsman fleeing left a hole next to the birdman though, and there was little to do now other than to step up. Out to the far left, a skeleton shattered as someone shot a bolt through it. So they were fragile, probably as a consequence of lacking tendons and muscles to hold their structure together.

    Well, then.

    Heart pounding, she let out a hiss and attacked, trying to deflect the attention away from the bird creature.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Skeleton, V 14.
    Full attack, two claws.
    Left hook
    Attack: (d20+3)[5]
    Possible damage(1d4+2)[5]
    Right hook
    Attack: (d20+3)[12]
    Possible damage: (1d4+2)[6]

    If destroyed, 5 foot step into the gap at V 14
    Last edited by Fibinachi; 2012-11-18 at 07:55 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Blast it, I've been careless.
    The things moved way too fast for not having any muscles. I'd just wanted to see what was going on, and they'd swarmed me The Lady wasn't doing me any favors today.
    The fact that the guards were barely helping brought some satisfaction, although it was mostly just annoying. Why, I bet this woman-
    wait, when did she get here?
    And why is she clawing the skeletons to re-death?

    Spoiler
    Show
    If adjacent skeleton is destroyed:
    Not bad, Ma'am. Not bad at all. But more incoming.
    Move action: Draw Short Sword->Standard Action: Defend Self

    Else:
    This isn't working. Did that man mention maces? A blunt instrument might work better, considering sharp things aren't. All that stands in my way is one successful duck.
    Free Action: Speech. Be right back, Ma'am, need weapon.
    Move Action: Move at full speed with Acrobatics check to avoid AoO. DC is CMD+10. Final square X19. (post exploded from editing a grammar mistake. The roll was a 1...)
    Standard Action: Retrieve item from pocket (4 gold)
    2nd Free action: Speech: Give me a light one, Sir!

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by LordDeathkeeper; 2012-11-19 at 12:09 AM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    With masterful foucs of eye and limb, Halphax pulled and loosed his bow in rapid succession. The arrow found the small skull and struck it. The small skeleton flinched a bit, but quickly found it's footing. In spite of having an arrow sticking out of it's temple, it seemed none the worse for it. Kizziar stepped up and swung his axe at the small bonepile as well. The skeleton barely ducked, and the axe went high, cleanly slicing off Halphax's arrow but nothing more. Despite the blows it was being showered by, the small skeleton focused its blows on the city guard it had been attacking before. It's swing was deflected off the guard's shortsword.

    Another skeleton worked its way up to Halphax and took a swing at him with gusto, but also with no more success than its predecessor.

    Next to them, the tiefling hiss and spread out her fingers, revealing a set of sharp claws on each hand. She wildly began swinging them at the skeleton in front of her. Her first one went wide, however, and her second just glanced off the shoulderbone. Her sparring partner replied with a swipe of his own fingers, with a blow that found a gap in her leather armor. Lose three hit points.

    Yet another shambling excuse for a corpse worked its way up to the Tengu and swung. Klen Moore found it easy to dodge, but the call of the mace-seller was hard to resist. He tried to perform a quick doge to back out, but his talons slipped on the pavement, and he wasn't as graceful as he'd hoped. He felt a pair of bony hands grab out at him. The first didn't connect. The second one ripped a piece of skin loose. Lose three hit points.

    The catfolk merchant had been startled by the presence of skeletons, but his greed had outweighed his fear, and he had refused the opportunity to lose a good sale, or his entire wares if he fled. As the wounded tengu ran up to him, he quickly reached out a mace and took the money. "There you go! If you survive, do come back! I have a friend who can get you some healing on the cheap!" As he is handing it to you, equipping the mace will be a free action.

    Off in the distance, a pair of smaller skeletons shambles forward, moving closer, but not rushing. An arrow is fired from overhead, probably from the guard on the wall, and it strikes the one furthest back. The skeleton visibly stumbles, and a bit of bone crumbles off it. However, it continues shambling forward. A perception check of DC 14 may inform you that the guard is using punching arrows.

    The guard in front of the short skeleton tried to strike it with his short sword. It would have been a fine blow...if there had been some flesh between those ribs the sword rattled around in. However, the guard that had come up behind Halphax drew his falchion and brought it down on the three-foot skeleton, breaking through its collarbone and ribcage, finally dropping it. Seeing a gap, Abraham stepped over the deanimated bones, dropping his crossbow to pull out his hammer. Reaching another skeleton, he swung. The bones tried to dodge. They failed, and another skeleton went down in a pile of brittle bone bits and dust.

    Two down. Four left.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Kizziar mutters something under his breath as he misses his target, but notices an arrow shaft that the blow did hit. He finally notices the rest of the group around him, the lizard-like being whose arrow he'd just destroyed, and some kind of avian creature running back. To his right he saw a fiend-like creature, but it was fighting on the same side as him, so he paid it no heed.

    "Strike hard and true! Those who aid in battle against the undead now shall have health repaid later."

    With that he rushed up to meet the skeletons, and energy flowed through him and was released.

    Channel energy to do damage all undead within 30 ft (They all are by my math)

    (1d6)[5]

    Each skeleton can make a will save of 15 to half

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Four skeletons suddenly stretch out their arms and lean back, their heads facing the sky and their mouths open in what might have been a scream if they had lungs. A white mist begins to evaporate from their bones, and soon, three of them collapse. The fourth one is shaken, but still moving.

    The remaining skeleton is the small one at T5. Sorry to skip over Halphax's turn, but I figured you'd appreciate this more. I marked the location of the fallen skeletons with dashes, in case you wanted to make your turn as normal, otherwise, we can act as though you delayed your action. Since everyone else goes after Kizziar, I figured that this would make the next turn easier on everone.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    All right, now I can-aaaaand most of them disintegrated. I know this is a good thing, but I was really hoping I could actually be useful. Which is, you know, why I bought a large smacking-stick. I'm going to use this thing, darn it!
    I moved as quickly as I was able, shuffling past the obliterated bones and still-standing fighters. I set my sights on the last one.

    (Double-move to V10.)
    The man with the battle-axe stood nearby, right in front of it.
    (Free action: Speech)
    Allow me to offer assistance.
    Last edited by LordDeathkeeper; 2012-11-19 at 04:16 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    The avian creature appears at my side, mace in hand. Apparently retreat was not on hid mind when he ran back.

    "If you wish to strike I will not hinder you. Those dead should remain that way."
    Last edited by BTB; 2012-11-19 at 04:38 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    C.W.R.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    OOC: I'll delay

    Halphax blinked.

    Well, it wasn't exactly a blink, he had no real eyelids, but it had the same connotation.

    The stranger had just obliterated the monstrosites in a burst of light.

    Just like that.

    It, was, impressive...

    Well, there was one left at least.

    Halpahx ran forward again, nocked his bow, and took a casual shot at the skeleton.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Move to U9
    Free Action: Nock Attow
    Standard Action: Attack the Skeleton at T5 (Point-Blank Bonuses).
    -Attack: (1d20+4)[9]
    -Damage: (1d8+1)[5]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    There is a brief flash of pain as the skeleton finds a kink in her armor, strangely cold phalanges raking across her skin. That same skin, more scales than flesh these days, takes the worst of it.

    And then, while she dodges back, there is a flash of something, four skeletons crumpling to the ground with whatever animating force breaking free of its bonds and heading skyward. For a moment, she feels dizzy - so someone (the tatooed half orc?) is definitively channeling energy straight from some nebolous divine realm. Lovely. Now she'll have an unfounded an urge to sneeze all day.

    It's impossible to the deny the effectiveness of the magic, however, as most of the creatures have fallen to the ground and become little more than an assorted collection of bones. Well, an assorted collection of bones not
    animated by dread forces from beyond the keen of mundane sentients.

    The worst of it seems over or will be soon at any rate. Liresha, shaking her head and rolling her shoulders (no, nothing seems too mangled), casts a glance around for the kobold.

    If spotting the kobold lower is a free action, wonderful! If not, Perception check:(d20)[8]

    That done, she tucks her hat a little lower and kneels down to inspect the boneyard debris in front of her.

    Move action to adjust widebrimmed hat and scarf so it's more difficult to notice the visibly fiendish features of scale and skin and move action to kneel down and have a closer look at the skeletons.
    Suite of checks
    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception: To notice anything in particular about the bones, even if its just that they're brittle
    (d20)[8]

    Spellcraft: To detect any obvious influences of magic in the animation of these skeletons
    (d20+7)[25]
    Knowledge Arcana: To analyze any clues about the former discovered in any given way (Signs of divine influence or arcane trickery)
    (d20+7)[9]



    Spoiler
    Show

    Everybody’s got a scary monster trapped inside
    Grinning ear to ear revealing teeth so smooth and white
    Is it any wonder that we’re all so terrified
    In the middle of the waking night?


    Skeletons

    Apologies if I am misusing the skills. If so, simply ignore the checks and assume Liresha spends some time adjusting her hat and scarf so it's less visible she's not quite human and people stop refering to her as felspawn.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Nihilarian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Abe lumbers forward, hammer in hand, and charges the skeleton. He swings his hammer at the thing, letting his momentum carry him forward, as he wordlessly roars.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (d20+7)[11](18)
    Damage: (2d6+6)[4][3](13)

    Critical Confirm: (d20+7)[11](18)
    Critical Damage: (2d6+6)[4][1](11)

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Halphax fired one more shot at the final remaining skeleton. Unfortunately, at the last second he twitched, and the arrow flew harmlessly past the skeleton.

    Lirisha took a moment to adjust her clothes, and took a second to look around her. The kobold how had ran through earlier was long gone. However, a few more members of the city guard appeared to be running up behind them. Ignoring them for now, she took a second to look down at the bodies, or what had once been bodies but were now very literally piles of bones. Well, she figured it might have been a little odd for skeletons to be wandering about without a necromancer or something to direct them, but maybe not. Turning a skull over with her foot, she thought for a bit, but couldn't see anything odd about the bones. She was sure that the half-orc had used some sort of positive energy channeling to drop them, though.

    Spoiler
    Show
    For future: a spellcraft check is only useful when you can see the spell being cast. Or so I understand it.


    The final skeleton, angered by the half-orc's spell, ran forward and began scratching like crazy at Kizziar.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1(1d20+2)[19]
    Damage 1(1d3+2)[3]


    Abraham charged up to the last skeleton and swung his powerful hammer. The blow connected. The skeleton, already weakened by the spell, was unable to withstand the mighty force of the paladin's hammer, and fell to the ground, most of it's bones broken and the rest no longer moving.

    In the city behind them, things began to quite down as the threat began to be resolved. The city guards who had been fighting earlier now sheathed their weapons and stared out at the warriors.

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-11-21 at 08:45 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Machinekng's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    C.W.R.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Halphax gazed over the strangers around him.

    The one who had destroyed the skeletons in a burst of light, a half-orc.

    The warrior who destroyed the skeleton attacking him, a human.

    The other warrior, a female tiefling.

    And finally, the Tengu, a lowlife of sorts.

    Most of them had contributed more than him, it was a bit annoying...

    But also intriguing.

    Halphax walked up to the one closest to him.

    "Hello," he said, a bit unsure of himself, "I am Halphax of the Ophids. Thank you for your assistance with this threat."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll assume you're talking to me, since I'm closest on the map.


    "Kizziar, formerly of Orc lands. I'd be more inclined to thank you. The return of the undead to death is my duty, but you risk your life because you want to," Kizziar replied. He looked down at the cuts the skeleton had given him. "Though my duty means keeping the living from death until their time comes as well. Tell me, are you injured?"

    He then looks around at the others who helped, the human who struck at the skeleton that attacked him, the fiend-like creature and the avian who had fought as well. He speaks loudly, and his voice carries well through the air. "If you were injured fighting with the undead, come to me and you will be healed."

    The weapon cord from his greataxe is now removed, and his weapon returned to it's sheath. He smiles. His job was done well today.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Nihilarian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Abe nods at Kizziar. "My name is Abraham, and thank you for the offer, but I'm unhurt." He slides his hammer back into it's straps and begins to turn around before pausing. "Ah, my next action might have consequences for you, so you may wish to leave, quickly." He picks up his crossbow and puts that away as well, before moving to the closest guard, "Sorry, I broke the agreement." He holds out his hands as if expecting to be arrested.
    Last edited by Nihilarian; 2012-11-22 at 10:45 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Klen sheepishly raises his hand, which is dripping blood from the cut in his arm.
    Uh, yeah, I think I'll take you up on that offer. I think they got the lady over there,(gesturing in her direction with his good arm)
    He looks at Kizziar but doesn't make eye contact, and quickly begins fidgeting with the pretext of finding a spot on his belt to slide the mace.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    "Very well, I shall simply pray for the health of you all."
    Channel energy to heal all living creatures within 30 ft (All of you). This includes myself, as well as any NPCs who happen to be within range.
    (1d6)[6]

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Old bones, some a little brittle but otherwise not in any particular way different from how old bones should be. Curious, given that a minute ago these same bones had been trying to kill everyone. Liresha stands up and shrugs in the same motion. More for her own benefit, given the stranger and stranger nature of the day so far.

    "... got the lady over there."
    ""Very well, I shall simply pray for the health of you all."

    The rolling motion provokes a brief wince of pain from her chest, brief because it is washed away in a soothing wave in almost the same instant. Liresha shudders, twitches and when she can't resist any further finally breaks into a sneezing fit.

    Liresha healed 6 HP.
    Foremost guard healed 6 HP.


    While her sneezing and adrenaline fueled pulse abates she casts a glance at the two guardsmen to the left. They heave sheathed their weapons, so they can't be expecting any more trouble. That, or they assume the group up ahead can handle any other wandering collections of bones. Both guards look a little pale but otherwise seem fine, although the comrade of theirs who ran away is probably up for relentless mocking at the barracks later.
    Oh wait. The moment the two of them recover from the shock of fighting skeletons, they'll start to ask questions and shout. Probably want to make sure no one is questioning their authority, like, say, a group of seemingly competent and heavily armed people who just proved themselves a little more on top of things that the guards.

    She didn't draw her sword nor do anything any more conspicuous so if she just manages to say thank you to the group up ahead with grace and bow out, she can be back in her tavern room soon enough and indulge in as much self recrimination for the shameless heroics as she wants. And not have to escape from another prison cell. That would be great, she could keep her ten month streak going.

    Liresha steps across the bones and walks 15 ft to U 11

    So, how to accomplish this gracefully?

    "It did get me, albeit I am better now. Thank you. Would this be because of you, Sir Priest?"The words are accompanied with a smile only almost blocked by her scarf. She nods first at the shifty looking avian - is he nervous? Why? - before attempting a half-bow, half-curtsey at the remnants of the group.
    There, smooth.

    "That was a bit of a scuffle, eh? Everyone unharmed? Rather impressive showing of abilities. I do not recall witnessing anyone ever keep their wits about them quite so well with a bow in melee before. And thank you for distracting the assailant, Sir... Bird. Uh. Sir. It might have drawn more blood if you had not. "

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Komodo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunny Florida

    Default Re: Finishing Strike (IC)

    Now, who is this girl coming up to talk to them? The group recognized it as the girl who had fought with claws not long ago, but she had done a pretty good job of covering up her more unusual features. Her hands were tucked safely under just-long-enough sleeves, and a scarf and hat covered any odd features on her face without looking overly suspicious. Had the group not seen what she was firsthand in battle, they would have likely not suspected anything out of the ordinary about her.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (rolled a disguise check for Lirisha, suffice to say she did well)


    Meanwhile, Abraham approached the guard and offered himself up for arrest. The guard had clearly not been expecting this, and had his train of thought interrupted by the orc's healing spell. He did not have to react to the situation, however, as he was soon overtaken by a newly approaching guard, who was apparently high-ranking based on how his armor was decorated and how he shouted every other word. Behind him, he was flanked by two guards, one of whom had a scratched forearm.

    "WHAT is going on HERE!" The official began, startling the other guards at the gate to attention. "I've got FOUR guards posted at the northwest gate, whose ONE job is to STOP the rabble that comes out the CAVES, and APPARENTLY that's too HARD for them! A few piles of BONES comes walking up, and APPARENTLY we need to start hiring FOOLS off the STREET to come and save our hides! And if that wasn't ENOUGH, we apparently INTEND to stand around with our THUMBS in our EARS while an ORC sprays magic all over the place! YOU!" He shouts at the wounded soldier, the same one who had run away before. "START picking up those bones! And YOU!" Here he turned to the group of four off to the side. "I expect you THREE to report to Silas here to check your papers and lay down your arms! You are officially UNDER ARREST for unauthorized use of WEAPONS!" As he says this, he points in a strong but controlled manner toward Kizziar, Halphax, and Klen Moore. He was apparently ignoring Abraham and Lirisha.

    Behind the guard, Abraham saw two men, a half-orc and a tengu, run up. He recognized their vestment as that of the Wolfram Lane Unofficial, vestment he hadn't quite earned yet. He didn't remember the tengu's name, but the half-orc was Grazzom, the captain ("Captain" being a misnomer, as no-one in the Wolfram Lane Unofficial had any actual military rank, but its what most of the others called him.)
    Last edited by Komodo; 2012-11-23 at 06:09 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •