New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default "Dark Magic" Class?

I'm working on creating a character that specializes in some kind of dark magic, be it necromancy or demon summoning, or just some kind of fluff-based forbidden knowledge type thing. I know Dread Necromancer and Warlock, but our party already has a Warlock, and I am trying to see if there's anything I overlooked. So far I've considered Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Dread Necro, and Cleric, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a class that has the feel of what I've described, and where I could find it. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: "Dark Magic" Class?

Have you looked into Binder?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hexblade is the big one that you missed. There's also binder and shadowcaster. Other than that, there might be a few prestige classes out there for that kind of stuff, like Alienist, Acolyte of the Skin, Nar Demonbinder and Fleshwarper.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Binder (Tome of Magic) is definitely my choice for a base class.

Other good base classes, aside from those you listed.... Sha'ir (Dragon Compendium) would be pretty good if you refluffed the genies as fiends. Archivist (Heroes of Horror) is more like a paranormal investigator, but could definitely work with his Dark Knowledge class feature.

For Prestige Classes, a spellcaster could go into Malconvoker (Complete Scoundrel) for great fiend summoning. If you're Divine, there's always the Thaumaturge, which is not awful.

Warlock could go into Hellfire Warlock (Fiendish Codex II), or for a fairly underpowered option, Demonbinder (Drow of the Underdark, or from the excerpt). Possibly even both.

The Fiendbinder (Tome of Magic) does exist, but it's pretty weak. Then again, calling fiends is often a high-power tactic so that might be appropriate.

Nar Demonbinder (Unapproachable East) is good at summoning, but kinda weird to enter. Wizard or (better, if you'll allow it) Sha'ir and then using Ultimate Magus for progressing both your prepared casting and Nar Demonbinder's a pretty good schtick.

Ur-Priest (Complete Divine) is another one that's somewhat awkward to enter, but it's much more obviously potent. It's also very appropriate. A Binder/Ur-Priest/Tenebrous Apostate just oozes flavor.
    Last edited by Answerer; 2012-11-17 at 05:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Hexblade, Jester, Binder, Sha'ir, Archivist, Wizard, Cleric, Conjurer (don't ban necromancy), Dread Necromancer...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Be a wizard/dread necro/whatever you want, wear a lot of black and angst about the demon slowly taking over your soul.

Also, +1 to binder. It's a fun class, very versatile.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

A wise man once said: "There is no light or dark magic. There is magic wielded by good people and there is magic wielded by complete b******s."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Binder, Shadowcaster, Dread Necromancer, Ur-Priest, Red Wizard of Thay, becoming a Lich, Sandshaper, pick any casting PrC from BoVD ...

9. - Top - End - #9

Anima Mage is another good one, and offers the Binder (already a good class) a potential giant upgrade in power.

For an extremely flavorful and less (potentially) OP build, work with your DM to make Anima Mage advance binder and warlock instead of binder and arcane spell caster. IMO in makes for a more synergistic build, since the full casting side of the anima mage can make the binder side rather redundant.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With enough re-fluff you could use Wu-jen or also a Psion (or other Psi class).
    Just say that there is only one place in the multiverse that is darker then the negative energy plane, more twisted then Limbo and more terrifying then the entire Abyss. And this is the place you draw your power from.
    My mind! Muuuuhahahaha [evil laugh]
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Amazingly, a malconvoker works, if you ignore or switch out the abilities dealing with deceiving fiends and staying Good while doing so. After all, the class is still about summoning fiends.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cancer Mage, because nothing says evil like giving people cancer.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Jester
    ? Was is das?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    ? Was is das?
    Pretty sure it's from the dragon compendium, but don't quote me on that.

Hexblade fits the fluff, but it may be a bit weak. It's a fairly quick entry into suel archanamach though.

I'd say more, but all the good suggestions are already taken.

There is one bad suggestion (read; horribly overpowered) though; Heroes of Horror's tainted scholar PrC. It absolutely reeks of a caster partaking of forbidden knowledge and power. It also reeks of cheese, though.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    There is one bad suggestion (read; horribly overpowered) though; Heroes of Horror's tainted scholar PrC. It absolutely reeks of a caster partaking of forbidden knowledge and power. It also reeks of cheese, though.
    It also requires use of an optional rule that's not in effect in most campaigns.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    It also requires use of an optional rule that's not in effect in most campaigns.
    This makes it less of a bad option, how?

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You can do anything with Wizard, Cleric or even Sorcerer.

How about a Dark Bard - aiming for Sublime Chord? This is a late flowering Sorcerer version, but you're Alice Cooper.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

This makes it less of a bad option, how?
    I was in fact impying that that makes it an even worse option. You know, because "not possible" generally equals "not good."
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    A wise man once said: "There is no light or dark magic. There is magic wielded by good people and there is magic wielded by complete b******s."
    dresden?

Pretty sure it's from the dragon compendium, but don't quote me on that.
    jester actually is in dragon compendium.

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    You can do anything with Wizard, Cleric or even Sorcerer.

How about a Dark Bard - aiming for Sublime Chord? This is a late flowering Sorcerer version, but you're Alice Cooper.
    take doomspeak, never look back. an absolutely brutal debuff that will ruin your enemies' lives

if you're not very high-op, demonologist can work. its spell list has some cool stuff, including the greatest spell level discount ever: bestow greater curse. normally 8, 4 for you.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Where do I find doomspeak ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I agree with this. Magic is gray. It's uses and applications can be Evil, just as it's uses and applications can be Good. The fact any spell has an alignment descriptor is disturbing to me. My personal favorite application of normally Evil magic is to planar bind an Evil Outsider, Use a Binding Spell to permanently seal it (getting a Caster level of 38 is child's play) if it says "No", and order it to willingly fail the next spell that attacks it. Cast Mind Rape. Order it to serve you for the rest of eternity. Have it wander the plane building orphanages and slaying Evil creatures (except himself).
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Where do I find doomspeak ?
    champions of ruin, page 20

agree on magic is a tool, how you use it is what makes you good or evil.

escalation mage is a fun option for this vein. it's in faiths of eberron. worship the shadow and get free metamagic a bunch of times a day
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Maho-Tsukai from Oriental Adventures is the classic "regular caster being drawn to the great power of the dark side" blood magicky stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Maho-Tsukai from Oriental Adventures is the classic "regular caster being drawn to the great power of the dark side" blood magicky stuff.
    It's also the original incarnation of the tainted scholar.

It went maho-tsukai (OA) -> tainted sorcerer (UA) -> tainted scholar (HoH), and now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.

.Showing my age with that one, huh?.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also the original incarnation of the tainted scholar.

It went maho-tsukai (OA) -> tainted sorcerer (UA) -> tainted scholar (HoH), and now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.

.Showing my age with that one, huh?.
    Eh. But the Taint rules from OA are different, and much less cheesy. Also the SpC is 3.5 and talks about adding spells to the Maho-Tsukai list. I wouldn't necessarily say it was updated, it has it's very own weabooy flavor!
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The taint mechanics got tweaked a little in all three incarnations too, but it really doesn't matter.

All three versions of the class are inherently, horribly overpowered and utterly reek of power-gaming cheese.

I only ever brought the thing up for completeness' sake.

Who knows? the op's DM might be willing to work with him on incorporating a house-ruled to functional version of the class into the game. Kind of a long-shot, IMO, but what the heck.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The taint mechanics got tweaked a little in all three incarnations too, but it really doesn't matter.

All three versions of the class are inherently, horribly overpowered and utterly reek of power-gaming cheese.

I only ever brought the thing up for completeness' sake.

Who knows? the op's DM might be willing to work with him on incorporating a house-ruled to functional version of the class into the game. Kind of a long-shot, IMO, but what the heck.
    True. I like the flavor of all of them and all of them being the sort of forbidden great power, but I don't think it's really meant for a PC. Maybe a BBG of ridiculous power but... no not a PC.

28. - Top - End - #28

NinjaGuy

Tainted Scholar from Heroes of Horror is a prestige class that may work very well.

Swordsaged/ or is it Monked now??? Sorry Kelb_Panthera, I only saw Hexblade in that post, I read too fast.
    Last edited by Talionis; 2012-11-19 at 04:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    Tainted Scholar from Heroes of Horror is a prestige class that may work very well.
    You done been Monk'd.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

For the whole 'dark magic that man must not know' thing, Binder wins basically hands down.

I personally like Binder/Wizard/Anima Mage, as that gives off the 'dark magic' feel the very best. Keep in mind, though, that your character's attitude and personality will make the magic, any magic, be 'dark'. Without it, even the darkest of foulevil magic comes off like a saturday morning cartoon.