1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Star War and Star Trek Popularity by country

This thread stemmed from my childhood and my home country of Burma? When I was a boy, I know about Star Wars before Star Trek. My parents, except my mother, knew about Star Wars in their childhood. The popularity of Star Wars than Star Trek in my country is that Television did not come to Burma until late 1980s when Knight Rider and A-Team becomes more popular. Then, I read an article that the Syrian King was a Star Trek fan which showed that Star Trek is well known in Syria. I was wondering on whether there are countries where the people are more familiar with either star wars, or star trek.
    Pony Minecraft Avatar by Dirtytabs
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Star War and Star Trek Popularity by country

Well, let me first say that I have absolutely zero data to support anything I'm about to say, so grains of salt for everyone.

My guess is that Star Wars is better known than Star Trek. Star Wars was a special-effects driven trilogy with a pretty universal story that could be enjoyed on a lot of levels. Star Trek was much more a product of US culture in the 60s and 70s, dialogue heavy, and with nowhere near the same visual impact.

From that, I extrapolate that Star Wars would translate more easily to a foreign market than Star Trek would. Also, Turkish Star Wars
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Here in Germany, Star Wars is known even to large parts of the general population (even if they haven't seen it), while Star Wars is by no means unknown, but it's a bit more of a niche, and the "man on the street" will rather known Darth Vader than Jean Luc Piquarde.

Also, look at the number of Star Wars parodies vs. the number of Star Trek parodies or parody scenes. If I bring the line "I am your father" it will likely be understood, if I talk about the Prime Directive, or about "Space.... the final frontier..." I likely won't be understood.

This, however, is pretty general and largely not backed by any data.

Eakin, I see your Turkish Star Wars and raise my Turkish Star Trek
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

4. - Top - End - #4

It's kind of weird here in Israel...
    Neither are well known. At all.
    However, more people know Star Wars than Star Trek.
    THAT SAID, nerds are generally more into Star Trek than Star Wars, from what I've seen. I can get more people to quote "Live long and prosper" than I can "I find your lack of faith disturbing". The Star Trek movie came out to far more enthusiasm than any of the Star Warses.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person and I have a deep crush on him/her. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.
    Mostly only post on weekends.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting. Any idea why that might be?

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Interesting. Any idea why that might be?
    Midichlorians?
    I dunno...
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person and I have a deep crush on him/her. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.
    Mostly only post on weekends.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Here in Germany, Star Wars is known even to large parts of the general population (even if they haven't seen it), while Star Wars is by no means unknown, but it's a bit more of a niche, and the "man on the street" will rather known Darth Vader than Jean Luc Piquarde.
    Okay, first off... "I find your lack of proper spelling disturbing." The man's name is Jean-Luc Picard. Even if he is French, you can spell his name normally.
    And it would help your post a little if you wrote Star Trek when you meant it

That said... I think it's really mostly a matter of one's... overall interests. Yes, Trek is much more of a nerd thing and Wars more main stream but then again "I am your father" is about the one really iconic line from the show. So many others that are part of the geek culture are not as well known, like "I find your lack of faith disturbing," "when you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could ever imagine", "you were the chosen one" or pretty much everything Palpatine said in the original trilogy.
    Sure, there are lines people might know, like "These are not the droids you are looking for" or "I love you! - I know" but there are Trek lines that are kind of well known, like "He's dead, Jim" or "Live long and prosper". (Or such words like warp engines, phasers, transporters... People know that stuff at least somewhat)

Anyway... yeah, in general I guess Wars is much more well known especially if the tv landscape isn't as broad as in the US or Germany. But the much more important point is personal preference, not what yountry you are from unless you have little contact to either if the two.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, first off... "I find your lack of proper spelling disturbing." The man's name is Jean-Luc Picard. Even if he is French, you can spell his name normally.
    And it would help your post a little if you wrote Star Trek when you meant it
    Damn, it WAS late last night. You're right of course.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Here in Romania I'd give Star trek a slight edge against Star Wars among the older segments the edge is more pronounced.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Canada is pretty much the same as US (although Star Trek is perhaps slightly more mainstream than down South, with regular people watching it too).

In Russia/ex USSR? Star Wars is pretty well known, but mostly as a major Hollywood blockbuster along the lines of Die Hard or Terminator, nothing more and nothing less. There's probably more people who can quote the Matrix than anything Star Wars. Star Trek is barely known at all, you'd have to look really hard to even find people who've heard of it. That might have changed since the 2009 movie, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Last edited by Don Julio Anejo; 2012-11-19 at 06:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Here in Mexico Star Wars is far more popular than Star Trek, I am not sue of why; but I'd guess it is because Star Wars was in the cinemas while I am not sure if Star Trek was broadcasted in TV outside of Cable (and even then from what I can tell, cable TV wasn't that popular or widesperad here till the late 90's early 2000's).
    Just call me Dusk

Spoiler: Iron Chef Trophy/Characters
    Show

Stephan & Artorias sigatars by CoffeeIncluded, IC thropy by Savannah