New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: A music request

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default A music request

So I need a very specific sort of music, and this seems like the best place to ask.

I need a track of decent length (ideally 3+ minutes, at least), instrumental, with the sound of a ticking clock. It doesn't need to be constant, though that'd be nice. Having a couple instances with at least some prominence would be enough. Dramatic or slow and calm, I can see either working in different ways. The clock and being instrumental (in other words, singing) are the key parts here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A music request

First thing that came to mind was Riverside's Reality Dream. Clock cuts out after the first minute or so, but it's the best I've got off the top of my head. If I find something else suitable I'll let you know.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Montanita, by Ratatat. It doesn't have a ticking clock, but it meets your other criteria.

EDIT: Actually, found one that's probably better for your purposes, also by Ratatat.

Black Heroes
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2012-11-14 at 09:49 PM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    First thing that came to mind was Riverside's Reality Dream. Clock cuts out after the first minute or so, but it's the best I've got off the top of my head. If I find something else suitable I'll let you know.
    Hmm. The switch to metal and loss of the clock sound is a bit unfortunate. The start was incredibly unsettling, though, as was the end. Which I didn't think of, but it works perfectly for what I have in mind. It's not quite ideal, I admit, but I really like it on its own merits and will definitely use it if I can't find anything better. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    Montanita, by Ratatat. It doesn't have a ticking clock, but it meets your other criteria.

EDIT: Actually, found one that's probably better for your purposes, also by Ratatat.

Black Heroes
    Thanks, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I would explain what I'm looking for a bit more clearly, but I'm awful at this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Time by Pink Floyd (not that much prominent later in the song)

Tictac theme from Trackmania ESWC (loops well if needed)

This theme from For A Few Dollars More
    Last edited by Radar; 2012-11-15 at 03:11 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

There's always Nox's Theme from WakFu. You'd have to find a better version of it, but it's a great piece otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

These two suit most of those requirements fairly well. This first one has a very very clear clock at the start, which fades in and out (mostly out) but is present, at least very subtly, throughout most of the whole thing, especially at the beginning and end.

Swing of the Clock

The second has a very strong and clear clock tick throughout the entire thing, but it is uneven and changes, making more a rhythmic tune than a one-two clock tick. If the clock you are finding music for is thematic/metaphorical, more than it is a literal ticking clock in your story, this may be just right.

The Broken Clock
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2012-11-15 at 03:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Hmm. The switch to metal and loss of the clock sound is a bit unfortunate. The start was incredibly unsettling, though, as was the end. Which I didn't think of, but it works perfectly for what I have in mind. It's not quite ideal, I admit, but I really like it on its own merits and will definitely use it if I can't find anything better. Thanks!

Thanks, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I would explain what I'm looking for a bit more clearly, but I'm awful at this.
    Perhaps if you specify what it is you want to use this music for, that might help give us more of an idea of what would work. At the least, it might let us infer the tone to a degree while saving you the difficulty of trying to put the sort of 'feel' you're looking for into exact words (something I suspect quite a lot of people have trouble doing).
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2012-11-15 at 07:59 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

music like clocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyaT3DsGyQM

music with a clock like quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiENFWr1rS8

Hope it helps.
    Panis et circenses

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps if you specify what it is you want to use this music for, that might help give us more of an idea of what would work. At the least, it might let us infer the tone to a degree while saving you the difficulty of trying to put the sort of 'feel' you're looking for into exact words (something I suspect quite a lot of people have trouble doing).
    Seconded.

I assume you're using this as part of a school presentation?

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    There's always Nox's Theme from WakFu. You'd have to find a better version of it, but it's a great piece otherwise.
    Won't be using it, but that's really good. Never did find a better version, unfortunately. I ought to look later.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Snip
    A bit too energetic and upbeat, in a way, for what I need. Funny, though. I've had you recommending those and two people doing so elsewhere. By far the most frequently suggested tracks.

Okay, yes, that was really stupid of me and I should've done it from the start. Sorry about that.

It's something to play over (part of) the final encounter in a tabletop game I'm running. The clock thing is due to a heavy theme of various fiddly time-related things in the story so far.

Given that the situation's rather hopeless, several tones would work for the track: Dramatic, melancholy, calm, ominous/unsettling, possibly other stuff I've yet to think of. So far, I've found this, which works reasonably well, but any other suggestions would be great. Hope that makes matters a little simpler.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's something to play over (part of) the final encounter in a tabletop game I'm running. The clock thing is due to a heavy theme of various fiddly time-related things in the story so far.

Given that the situation's rather hopeless, several tones would work for the track: Dramatic, melancholy, calm, ominous/unsettling, possibly other stuff I've yet to think of. So far, I've found this, which works reasonably well, but any other suggestions would be great. Hope that makes matters a little simpler.
    Maybe it would almost be easier to find some (dark?) ambient song and just add the sound of a clock on top of it?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    Maybe it would almost be easier to find some (dark?) ambient song and just add the sound of a clock on top of it?
    That may well be true. I wouldn't know how to even begin to accomplish that, though. Suggestions?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Audacity is a free audio editor, and you can Google stock clock sounds to use.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    Audacity is a free audio editor, and you can Google stock clock sounds to use.
    Thank you, I can probably figure out how to use this eventually.

Any recommendations as to what to use for the base music?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Any recommendations as to what to use for the base music?
    Maybe Wizardry 8 soundtrack (they obviously loop well)?
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Maybe this theme from American McGee's Alice?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Maybe Wizardry 8 soundtrack (they obviously loop well)?
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Maybe this theme from American McGee's Alice?
    Thanks! One and four from there are pretty good. The Alice one is almost perfect, but the talky bit in the middle is problematic. Maybe I'll stop before that and loop or something.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman