New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Please Help With a Character Concept

Hey everyone,

Was hoping you could help me out with a character concept I am working on.

The Current Character:
    In a current campaign I am in my 2 monk 2 paladin 6 fighter - pretty standard AoO/Power Attack Build (Combat Reflexes, Leap Attack, Combat Brute, Shock Trooper) Has been traveling with a Mystic Thurge, which discovered latent magical abilities in me. I took a level of Sorcerer at 11 and have been taking levels in Abjurant Champion.

Where I would like to go:
    I had this pretty cool dream where there was a swordsman that was heavily tied to the earth, he could swing his sword and make walls of stone, block attacks by raising earth to defend, or open the earth below his opponents and seal them inside. If anyone has seen bleach he even had a "bankai" and plunged his sword into the ground making all the earth around me turn to mud and swallow everyone and then turned it back to stone.

I was hoping to take my character in this kind of direction mixing my martial prowess with earth based spells. Is there a prestige class, feat, anything that would allow me to do this more efficiently?

Abjurant champion already lets me cast some spells as a swift action ie Stone Skin

But how would I get things Like Earthquake - Evocation, Stone Wall - Conjuration, Earthern grasp - transmutation, any many others.

My DM said I could take the Arcane Devotee Feat to gain the Earth Domain spells and cast them more then once a day but was hoping for ways to cast these spells either faster, or tied in with weapon swings and make it my character identity.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Please Help With a Character Concept

There's the stonelord PrC from CW, but that's a tad weak.

If the DM's homebrew friendly then you could see if you could go into the Earthbender class from Avatar d20.

I suggest looking through races of the stone. It seems as though that's the best place to look.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshack View Post
    ...or tied in with weapon swings and make it my character identity.
    That would be known as "fluff". Just describe what you do when you cast the spell as being tied to something you do with your sword.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Awesome I'll check it out. Homebrew seems to be my best bet at the moment. I created a simple flavor change to the Abjurant Champion Prestige Class and made the Earthen Champion which utilizes spells with the Earth descriptor instead of the Abjuration School. I removed extended abjuration for tremor sense but pretty much left everything else the same.

The idea was to leave an obvious proof on concept to approach the DM with.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    That would be known as "fluff". Just describe what you do when you cast the spell as being tied to something you do with your sword.
    I was thinking Spell Storing Weapons or Rings or Channeled Spells such as Spellsword When I said that. But thank you for your input :) I do like to add a lot of fluff to my gaming experience to let everyone know how I imagine the combat/spells are unfolding :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshack View Post
    I was thinking Spell Storing Weapons or Rings or Channeled Spells such as Spellsword When I said that. But thank you for your input :) I do like to add a lot of fluff to my gaming experience to let everyone know how I imagine the combat/spells are unfolding :)
    Ah, I see. I'll go check out my list of magic items, then.

Perhaps you could do something with a Rug of Welcome, and dimensional storage inside a sword, reskinned as the ground opening up to swallow them until recalled?

Spoiler
    Show
    A 10’ by 5’ rug of high quality which weighs 15 pounds.
    When activated, the rug will Grapple any creature (up to Large size) that steps on it without saying the password. It maintains its Grapple / Hold until ordered to release the creature.
    The rug is a CR5 Large Construct with Improved Grab, +23 Grapple check, AC of 20, & 71 hp.