New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Planar Campain Tips

I am thinking of trying to run a planar campaign and would like to know if anyone has any tips for running one. I already have a copy of the Planar Handbook and can get just about any other book that I may need.

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planar Campain Tips

Familiarize yourself with the general theme if each if the planes. Be prepared for you're players to go places you weren't expecting. Especially if they have access to their own means of plane shifting. If they will be primarily portal bound, you have a bit more freedom to control where they go.

Otherwise, come up with plots based on general themes of the planes. Make up your own special unique locations, or expound upon some of the example locations like The Catalogues if Enlightenment or the City of Brass. Also, it might be worth while to consider ways to temporarily survive in areas that are hostile to fleshies, like the Elemental Planes or some of the harsher outer planes like Cania or the Plane of Shadows. Temp warding objects that grant 24 hours of protection introduce timed quests and add drama while allowing your PCs to explore some of the more abstract (and fun) planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the useful advice.

Are there any source books that would really help for this?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd648 View Post
    Thanks for the useful advice.

Are there any source books that would really help for this?
    The best source that I think you can get isn't a book. It's Planescape: Torment.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, apart from the Planar Handbook there is also the 'Manual of the Planes' -which is D&D 3.0 but still has some useful information.

Then there is obviously the AD&D Planescape stuff, not useful for crunch but has the most delicious fluff and artwork. The first title that comes to mind there is 'The Planewalker's Handbook'. For a complete list, see here.

Addendum: http://www.planewalker.com/ = official fansite for Planescape, has material for D&D 3.x and 4.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2012-11-19 at 04:36 AM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Of course, there is always the fun of making your own planes. Or even using ones other people made. I've heard the Semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing is quite fun.
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cranthis View Post
    Of course, there is always the fun of making your own planes. Or even using ones other people made. I've heard the Semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing is quite fun.
    On this note, Libertad's reimagining of the standard planes is quite good, including a nice overview of each plane's characteristics and landmarks, some possible adventure hooks, and correcting various inconsistencies in standard fluff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Two other source books that I think would be worth a glance before starting a planar campaign would be Fiendish Codex I and II. The only deal with two planes, but they're so detailed and varied that they'll give you a lot of good ideas.

9. - Top - End - #9

ElfWarriorGuy

Make sure they have the ability to escape from where they're being sent. This may sound dumb, but if they're say in the plane of fire and don't have a way to get home if they get badly injured, the campaign may be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.