New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Spell Resistance and You

So, I've been looking at playing a DN with spell resistance. I figure, if I ever want to play something with SR, it's now, since I have a Tomb-Tainted Soul, and I pointedly DON'T want to be affected by the cleric's healing magic, since I have no intention of telling him unless I have to. Likely, he won't appreciate it that the energy that powers his most important abilities is anathema to me. I have an awesome sap story (true, but a sap story from my point of view) about how my mother was inflicted with mummy rot and couldn't be saved, and how I can't help what I am and just have to live with it, but there's no guarantee that'll hold up (true or not) once I start using Animate Dead and roll a 1 on the check to Disguise it, but that's a problem I'll have 1 or 3 levels to think my way out of in advance.

So, there're spells like Vampiric Touch and Death Knell on my spell list. Awesome.

In the description, it says Spell Resistance applies to both, but not with anything indicating it may be harmless. So, if I zap some poor monster with either of these spells, is there any RAW or other reason to think that my SR could apply to the temp HP or +2 Str of these spells, respectively?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Spell Resistance and You

No. SR refers to the targeted creature only. If you targeted something with SR, you would have to roll to penetrate, but you would not have to roll to penetrate your own SR with the effect.

Also, rolling a natural 1 on a skill check does not result in an auto-fail. It just makes your skill check equal to 1 + (whatever bonuses you have).
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

What he said. Also, the description for spell resistance states that "A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities." I wouldn't worry about your spell resistance blocking you from the beneficial portion of those spells.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    What he said. Also, the description for spell resistance states that "A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities." I wouldn't worry about your spell resistance blocking you from the beneficial portion of those spells.
    Don't know how I missed that. Then again, it's been more than 5 years since I've played 3.5 D&D... or any D&D at all.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I just happen to have been looking very closely at the spell resistance entries in the Player's Handbook and Rules Compendium before spotting this thread ^_^