New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Words of Creation: Pretty Much Useless?

Apart from their value to bards for the IC benefits, are the Words of Creation really worth the effort?

I've been looking at the feat for a cloistered cleric, but I'm having a hard time seeing a broad application here. The Words give a slight bonus to magic item crafting, and you can apply a free Extend Spell to any Conjuration (Creation) spells you cast.

Trouble is, clerics don't seem to have many of those. Apart from a small handful in the Spell Compendium, and two or three in the PHB, there's nothing to work with.

I must be missing something. Is there some lovely benefit for non-bards that I'm completely overlooking?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Words of Creation: Pretty Much Useless?

Clerics do get some Conjuration (creation) spells, but the ones I can find aren't worth spending a feat to extend.

True name actually looks pretty good, especially if you were to go Malconvoker. Reducing the SR of the fiend you want to call or giving yourself a bonus to the opposed Charisma check might be worth a feat. (Unfortunately, this part seems broken. WoC is [Exalted], so you lose it if you commit an evil act. Planar binding an evil creature is an evil act. So, presumably, is imprisoning a celestial and forcing it to work for you. I'd either drop the rule that casting an [Evil] spell is evil enough to make you lose [Exalted] feats, or rule that planar binding never gets an alignment descriptor.)

All in all, it's not horrible, but not great. I'd definitely take it on a Conjurer, summoner Sorcerer or Archivist. Especially if I decided to be a Vow of Poverty Necropolitan Sorcerer/Malconvoker.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep