Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Seharvepernfan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cydonia

    Default Is this legal? (3.5)

    Could a twfighter use all his off-hand attacks in a full-attack action, drop his off-hand weapon, then use his main-hand weapon two handed for the rest of his attacks? Could he then let go and quick-draw another off-hand weapon at the end of his turn?

    EDIT: Or quick-draw a bow and use his main-hand attacks with it?
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2012-11-19 at 09:58 AM.
    Simple Adventure Initiative:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Kosnark (11hp), Grimm, Risper, Atalayne, Osra (5hp), Magnar, Jaina (12hp)


    Kanok

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mattie_p's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    <<Undetected>>
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    No, but mostly because "If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest." This is found in Full Attack.
    Chairman of Zinc Saucier. Currently judging made from scratch Flayerspawn Psychics. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Grath - Southern Comfort Campaign
    Prizes:
    Eglath - 2nd Place Iron Chef XXXII


    Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium. Adopt an Avatar today.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Darrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Could a twfighter use all his off-hand attacks in a full-attack action, drop his off-hand weapon, then use his main-hand weapon two handed for the rest of his attacks?
    No. The combat rules state you must make your attacks from your highest BAB to your lowest. If both your primary and offhand attack occur at the same BAB, then you can roll for either one first, but your second offhand attack must occur after your higher BAB attacks have been rolled.

    If the attacker wants to drop his offhand weapon after he's completed one or more of his offhand attacks, he could do so as a free action. He could then regrip his primary weapon two-handed (getting a better Str bonus) as a free action (this isn't entirely clear by RAW, but regripping is usually treated as a free action) and then continue with the rest of his attacks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Could he then let go and quick-draw another off-hand weapon at the end of his turn?
    Dropping a weapon (or removing one of your hands) is a free action, as is using quickdraw, so yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    EDIT: Or quick-draw a bow and use his main-hand attacks with it?
    He could, yes. If he has iterative attacks left, he could shoot arrows, or use it as an improvised melee weapon (-4 attack penalty, 1d4 bludgeoning damage).

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diarmuid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    No, but mostly because "If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest." This is found in Full Attack.
    The extra attacks coming from TWF or something like Rapid Shot are not gained "because your base attack bonus is high enough" so I dont see why you're applying this rule to them for odering.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mattie_p's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    <<Undetected>>
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Could a twfighter use all his off-hand attacks in a full-attack action, drop his off-hand weapon, then use his main-hand weapon two handed for the rest of his attacks? Could he then let go and quick-draw another off-hand weapon at the end of his turn?

    EDIT: Or quick-draw a bow and use his main-hand attacks with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    The extra attacks coming from TWF or something like Rapid Shot are not gained "because your base attack bonus is high enough" so I dont see why you're applying this rule to them for odering.
    If he has more than one off-hand attack, the only way to do that is via iterative attacks with Improved two-weapon fighting and higher on the TWF tree (that or more than two hands, but he asked about TWF not multiweapon). All attacks are taken in order from highest attack bonus to lowest, but attacks with more than one weapon at the same attack bonus can be taken in any order.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-11-19 at 10:36 AM.
    Chairman of Zinc Saucier. Currently judging made from scratch Flayerspawn Psychics. It is just like Iron Chef but comes with double the prize money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Grath - Southern Comfort Campaign
    Prizes:
    Eglath - 2nd Place Iron Chef XXXII


    Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium. Adopt an Avatar today.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydnah, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Pretty sure you're wrong about that.

    The TWF/ITWF/GTWF feats grant you an extra attack IF you have an extra attack from BAB. It is not called an iterative in any of the feats. It's an 'extra attack'. As such it would probably be allowed to be taken whenever.

    That said there's nothing stopping this theoretical dude from 2hing his first attack, drawing a shortsword and 1hing his first offhand attack, dropping the shortsword and 2hing his first iterative, drawing another shortsword and 1hing his 2nd offhand attack, and so on and so forth.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Recall that the books suggest placing a reasonable limit on the number of free actions that can be taken in a single turn.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    "What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

    Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydnah, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    There is no way to pursue that argument without ruling that knife-throwers can't throw knives at people using the Quick-Draw feat.

    Or allowing it for knife throwers but not for the other kind of quick drawing. Which is quite deep into houserule territory.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunnydale

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    The extra attacks coming from TWF or something like Rapid Shot are not gained "because your base attack bonus is high enough" so I dont see why you're applying this rule to them for odering.
    The reason mattie_p is applying this rule is because he's following exactly what it says. If you get more than one attack because your BAB is 6+, all your attacks must be in descending AB order. The rule is conditional on having multiple iterative attacks, but not limited in scope to those attacks.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Biffoniacus_Furiou's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Harrisonville, MO

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Save some steps, use a two-handed weapon with armor spikes.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    panaikhan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Save some steps, use a two-handed reach weapon with armor spikes.
    Fixed that for you.
    Current Character: D&D3.5 Illumian Druid 3 / Necromancer 3 / Mystic Theurge 2 / Arcane Hyrophant 5
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ashtagon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hillvale, Isle of dawn
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Could a twfighter use all his off-hand attacks in a full-attack action, drop his off-hand weapon, then use his main-hand weapon two handed for the rest of his attacks? Could he then let go and quick-draw another off-hand weapon at the end of his turn?

    EDIT: Or quick-draw a bow and use his main-hand attacks with it?
    "all his off-hand attacks"? Unless you've been investing in a certain feat chain, off-hand attacks only happen once per round, regardless of your BAB. A 20th level warblade with no specialist feats would get four iterative attacks with his main weapon, plus a single attack with his secondary weapon.

    You could make a single attack with your secondary weapon. You could then drop it (free action), shift your grip on the primary weapon to two-handed (free action if you have Quick Draw), and 2HW with your iterative attacks.

    He could then switch back to one-handed grip and quick draw another off-hand weapon. However, unless you have your spare weapons stowed appropriately, you can't quick draw them (or even draw them; they count as being in a backpack or other inappropriate container, requiring a move action to extract at best). At most, I'd allow a total of two Medium or Light weapons to be stowed on a belt, and a larger number of smaller-than-Light (3.0e Tiny) weapons to be stowed on a bandoleer.

    You could in theory quick-draw a bow. However, I'd normally rule that long bows (or any Large weapon really) can't be quick-drawn because they can't be placed in a suitable holster. Such weapons are normally either carried in hand, or stowed on your back. A shortbow could be stowed on a belt, albeit somewhat awkwardly. And the back is no place to draw a weapon from in a hurry (no more than it is a place to draw a backpack from).

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    No, but mostly because "If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest." This is found in Full Attack.
    That specifically applies to the iterative attacks. It doesn't apply to attacks from off-hand weapons or from having multiple natural attacks, or from flurry of misses, or from Rapid Shot, or even from having Chocolate Flavour Teeth.
    Indigo is a much more appropriate colour for sarcasm, don't you think?
    Blue is strictly for emphasis.
    And grey is kind of like an aside to my main point.

    Avatar by The Succubus

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    gr8artist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Homebrew

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Save some steps, use a two-handed weapon with armor spikes.
    Does that work? Can you use TWF and THF like this?
    Assuming you're a 11th level fighter (Pathfinder) with TWF, I-TWF, G-TWF, armor spikes and a greatsword, could your full attack be:
    sword +11 /spikes +11/ sword +6/ spikes +6/ sword +1/ spikes +1
    and you'd get 1.5x STR on all the sword attacks, and 1/2 STR on all the spikes?
    My Homebrew ~ Criticism appreciated Amazing avatar by Ceika
    The Witherlands Campaign - Survival in a traditional but post-apocalyptic setting.
    Advice appreciated, especially on our houserules. Our recruiting is complete, and we will be starting soon.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rejakor View Post
    There is no way to pursue that argument without ruling that knife-throwers can't throw knives at people using the Quick-Draw feat.

    Or allowing it for knife throwers but not for the other kind of quick drawing. Which is quite deep into houserule territory.
    Well quickdraw says that a character with this feat can throw knifes per attack which could be seen as removing the need for free-actions.

    To the OP, from what I read it does seem completely legal although I am unsure as to how useful it actually is. Also yes you can quickdraw a bow although you will invoke attacks of opportunity if in melee (and get -4 to attack if an ally is threatening) still.

    To summarise, he can do this as long as he has weapons sheathed on himself for it (so there may be a limit to the amount of weapons you can lash onto yourself). Also the DM can set a limit on the amount of free-actions that can be taken in combat, most don't bother as it never really causes issues although I do wonder how many free things you can do in one turn if you stack them all up.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Does that work? Can you use TWF and THF like this?
    Assuming you're a 11th level fighter (Pathfinder) with TWF, I-TWF, G-TWF, armor spikes and a greatsword, could your full attack be:
    sword +11 /spikes +11/ sword +6/ spikes +6/ sword +1/ spikes +1
    and you'd get 1.5x STR on all the sword attacks, and 1/2 STR on all the spikes?
    I don't know about pathfinder, but in 3.5 you forgot the -2 to all attacks. Otherwise it is correct.

    For the combination of a two-handed reach weapon, it would better be spiked chain. Most other reach weapons cannot attack adjacent squares, so you could not use all attacks on a single opponent.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunnydale

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    That specifically applies to the iterative attacks. It doesn't apply to attacks from off-hand weapons or from having multiple natural attacks, or from flurry of misses, or from Rapid Shot, or even from having Chocolate Flavour Teeth.
    Can you cite an actual rule to support this claim? I haven't been able to find one.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diarmuid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Is this legal? (3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Full Attack

    If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones.

    The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.

    If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.
    The first and last paragraphs are separate thoughts. The first discusses how to handle extra attacks other than your iteratives, the third specifies that iteratives have to be taken from highest to lowest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •