New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default (PF)Gun monk special weapon

So, Here is what I want. I want a monk who can use a gun of any type in his flurry of blows. The build doesn't have to be good, but it does need to work. Its more for style points then overpowering mechanical goodness. I plan to intermix unarmed strikes and gun shots. I dont think this would be overpowered, compared to a normal monk. My gun damage deals less then an unarmed strike would by (probably) monk level 4, depending on the gun. The hits touch AC thing is probably going o be seen as OP and removed by my DM, so I have already accepted its loss.

I get to start play at level 4.

The best way I have found so far is the feat "Crusaders Flurry" that will make my deities favored weapon a monk special weapon. It would require a dip in cleric (or some other channeler) and that wouldn't be too bad. My problem with this is no deity I could find has any gun as a favored weapon.

My other idea was take the "Weapon Champion" archetype under monk, but from as far as I can understand, that takes away my flurry and my ki. So, unless someone can clear that up for me (I found the archetype hard to read, probably because it is third party and written to follow their rules or something) that is out.

Any other ideas? I cant think of any, aside from asking my DM for a feat or something. I hope to have access to firearms as monk weapons at level 3, as I will likely have to dip gunslinger to get a gun in the first place.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I made a boo boo, I linked to weapon adept and not weapon champion, like I meant too. Sorry!
    Last edited by Yeturs; 2012-11-19 at 07:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF)Gun monk special weapon

Where does that take away your flurry and your ki?
    Another thought is to ask your DM if you can use a gun with Zen Archer abilities that specify bows.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-19 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If your DM says monks can't fight/flurry with guns, make him watch Equilibrium.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yeturs View Post

My other idea was take the "Weapon Adept" archetype under monk, but from as far as I can understand, that takes away my flurry and my ki. So, unless someone can clear that up for me (I found the archetype hard to read, probably because it is third party and written to follow their rules or something) that is out.
    If a feature is not mentioned in an archetype, it isn't changed. The Weapon Adept says nothing about Flurry or Ki uses, so those remain the same as the standard Monk. It also doesn't solve your problem, as best as I can tell- it doesn't let you Flurry with any unusual weapons or grant proficiencies, it just gives you a few extra features for the existing Special Monk Weapon list.

Your best bets (ie, least homebrew-y) would be to ask your DM to let you take 'Guns' as a weapon group for the Sohei archetype's Weapon Training (as per Fighter, but also lets you Flurry and Ki Strike with the selected weapon group) or turn Zen Archer into Zen Gunner. Both make a pretty big sacrifice of your Unarmed Strike, tho- Sohei has very reduced Unarmed Strike damage advancement, and Zen Archer can *only* Flurry with bows.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh shoot, I made a mistake. I meant weapon champion, not adept. I will edit my original post to reflect that.

From what I can read on it, it replaces the "Ki master" archetype that is built in to normal monks.

"Ki Master: The Ki Master archetype grants a monk the flurry of blows, bonus feat gained at 2nd level, ki pool, wholeness of body, abundant step, and empty body class abilities. A monk that gives up this package never receives any of these abilities, has no ki pool, and cannot spend ki points as part of the high jump ability."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Step 1: Fast-talk your DM into houseruling a diety with Favored Weapon: Pistol or some such.

Step 2: Dip 1 level into Cleric or Oracle of Life for Channel Energy.

Step 3: Take Crusader's Flurry feat. Kick ass.