New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Fly (The skill from Pathfinder.)

Hi, I'm sort of new to the Pathfinder game. I got a little confused today when I read the description on page 96 of the core rulebook for the Fly skill.

Do you really need a way to fly (like the fly spell) before you can put any ranks in this skill? I mean, it is a class skill for Sorcerers, and they have the potential to fly, and if I were determined, I could practice using scrolls or potions, so I'm wondering why a sorcerer would have to wait until level 6 or so before taking ranks in the skill. Did I miss something?

Thanks as always for the awesome help!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Fly (The skill from Pathfinder.)

No, you can take ranks at any time, whether or not you actually have a way to fly yet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    No, you can take ranks at any time, whether or not you actually have a way to fly yet.
    Thanks for the help, that was the answer I wanted. I just wasn't sure, because of what it says under "Special" in the skill description.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Also, a Cavalier's horse can take ranks in Fly, and it's a class skill for it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

From the Fly skill:

You cannot take this skill without a natural means of flight or gliding. Creatures can also take ranks in Fly if they possess a reliable means of flying every day (either through a spell or other magical manner, such as a druid’s wild shape ability).

So until you have a reliable way of flying you cannot put ranks in it. it would be up to your DM what he would determine as reliable or not. potions and consumable would have to be bought in such quantity and in a way you would have to waste them to gain the ability to put ranks in.

Reason for that is how are you supposed to be proficient in something if you've never done it before-at least that's how i see it.