New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Side Advertisements

I used to always have my adblock on for this domain (well, every domain) but then I was recommended by Rawhide in Random Banter to turn it off if even to see ads for cool new webcomics (Gaia is fairly decent I found out) but in the past day or two there've been annoying side ads popping up, always on the right side about various different things. 'Objective connect' is on currently. Another I've seen is for 'SpecSavers'.

I thought there was only meant to be the banners and that was it? Could someone please tell me why these annoying ads are there? They pushed the whole forum webpage to the left and take up a few inches on the right hand side unless I close them, which gets to be a chore when they pop up every time I refresh a page (like subscriptions or a fast moving thread at certain times) or just open a new one.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Side Advertisements

You should only be seeing the top and bottom banner ads, always the same dimensions with no animations or scripting of any kind.

If you're seeing more, then you've either caught some kind of ad/malware, or your connection is being routed through a proxy that's adding them to your stream. As you say, it started in the past couple of days, so might want to run a scan.
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2012-11-21 at 04:36 AM.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    You should only be seeing the top and bottom banner ads, always the same dimensions with no animations or scripting of any kind.

If you're seeing more, then you've either caught some kind of ad/malware, or your connection is being routed through a proxy that's adding them to your stream. The fact that you have adblock active everywhere but here probably hid this infection from you, so no telling how long it's really been going on.
    I've had adblock off for about two months or more though, that's the odd thing. And I periodically check my computer via virus/malware/etc scans and my firewall is always up.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, realized the timing wasn't right for a long-term infection. Like I said, the other possibility is your connection being hijacked at the other end. Might want to see if your browser has been set to connect to an unauthorized proxy, and also see if this happens in a different browser with or without the same add-ons.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

There are no advertisements on the side. It is highly probable you have been infected with malware. As this is not a site issue, I will be closing the thread. Feel free to start a new one if you need help removing it in the appropriate forum.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak