New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The dice Program.

Hi there folks.
    Long time no see.
    a lot of things happened but not that you really care xD

My friends and i havent played D&D 3.5 for about a year so we decided some weeks ago to run a battle test to remember al the mechanics and abilities of our 19th lvl PCs.
    Everything went smooth.... except the combat lasted only 3 rounds but those 3 round lasted 3 hours of actual play.

the problem wasn't arguing bout rules, but doing maths with dice.
    I throw aprox 10~12 dice + 6~9 modifiers according to the enemy type, modifiers like Knowledge Devotion that are not always fixed.
    Add to this two-handed weapon dervish with a belt of battle and get crazy.

So i decided it was a good thing to make a solution for this, making a program with dice rollers, check boxes, etc for every character in our party (4 people)... but everyone recommended me C++, but i dont know **** bout programing and dont have time or really want to spend time on learning it. So i tried Excel. That didnt work too....

So now, here i am, asking for your wisdom:
    - Do you know a really easy program to solve this matter?

It would truly make combats a lot more dynamic....
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Spoiler
    Show
    2012? =
    Gear of the Universe // D&D Steampunk campaing setting.

...You´re not afraid of the dark, are you?

" Self Defense !!! " - A sneaking Drow.

- Infinite Blades Technique:
    ...One Thousand Cuts -

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The dice Program.

If you Google D&D dice roller, you can get WotC's dice roller which allows you to roll multiple dice and add modifiers. Have I missed what you are looking for completely or does this help at all?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I wrote a program in C++ that does exactly this, but the WotC one (or any online dice roller really) is going to probably be better than mine (and you won't have to compile it for your system).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

WotC's dice roller seems really nice.
    The only problem is that is not that customizable.
    you should open several tabs for it to work.... and thats a bit confusing, something im trying to avoid.

does anybody knows a customizable program or a programing program like C++ but easier to do this? (yeah i know im being picky xD)
    Spoiler
    Show
    2012? =

...One Thousand Cuts -

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loki Eremes View Post
    WotC's dice roller seems really nice.
    The only problem is that is not that customizable.
    you should open several tabs for it to work.... and thats a bit confusing, something im trying to avoid.

does anybody knows a customizable program or a programing program like C++ but easier to do this? (yeah i know im being picky xD)
    I suggest fiddling around with AnyDice's roller features — set up the dice, like this:
    Code:
    output 1d20+8 named "Loki attack"
    output 2d6+13 named "Loki damage"
    Then switch to the Roller section and enter how many of those rolls you want to generate in a batch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Osu Gametable, nuff said.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gametableproj/files/

It is the best program that I have managed to find, ever, for the use in D&D play. It is a whiteboard with a grid-system for easy combat, it allows for making your own dice-rolls easily (Simply write in what the dice roll is called (For example, "Scorching Ray", "Ranged Attack" "Ranged Touch Attack", "Humanoid Bane Attack" , etc), and what the dice is supposed to roll(2d6+10, 4d8+8, etc) and that dice is added to your list of macros, for easy rolling; simply click the dice, and the program rolls it for you), complete with Pogs and obstacles to place and litter the map with graphics.

It is completely free, and it even works as a server, so that you can have several people log into your program, and watch your map, and have everyone's rolls appear for everyone to see, or privately to one or more players, depending on how you set your rolls.

Simple, easy, quick and excellent to use.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

its been few weeks, but thx all people.
    Anydice and OsuGametable where both great!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    2012? =

...One Thousand Cuts -

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

If you have a smart phone dicenomicon works really well and gives you tons of customization.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loki Eremes View Post
    So i decided it was a good thing to make a solution for this, making a program with dice rollers, check boxes, etc for every character in our party (4 people)... but everyone recommended me C++, but i dont know **** bout programing and dont have time or really want to spend time on learning it. So i tried Excel. That didnt work too....
    Although I would not recommend using excel for programming, excel is perfectly capable of doing what you look for. Look at Heroforge, that is certainly 10000000 times more complex than your endeavor.

C++ is a highly complicated and extremely powerful programming language. If you know what you're doing, why not use it - but if you don't know C++ and want to program something as simple as a dice calculator, for the love of God don't start learning C++. If you must program and think excel won't do, and you want something quick and dirty, use Python or other more intuitive languages.