New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

confused Prosthetics vs. Regeneration?

I haven't seen a topic like this one at all but I wanted some advice on getting prosthetic versus regeneration, for a character of mine who has recently lost their arm (from the shoulder down). We're using pathfinder and I was looking at this page for potential Prosthetics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...rt/Prosthetics).

I'm debating the merits between getting a magical prosthetic, like a Mithril arm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...cs/mithral-arm) or just finding a cleric that can cast a regeneration spell (I have mithral but my arm was destroyed)?

All that remains certain is that my character specializes in composite longbows, so I'll have to get an arm one way or another. I just wonder what is the merits and disadvantages of having such a prosthetic limb might be in this case? And if it's even a worthwhile pursuit or if I'm better off taking up regeneration?

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Prosthetics vs. Regeneration?

If you can afford and acquire one, the Mithral Arm would be the best choice.. it's a +4 untyped Strength at a fairly reasonable price. Heck, after a certain point there are a number of characters who would cut off their own arm to wear one of those. Or both arms.

I haven't checked all of the list yet, but it doesn't look like any of the other prosthetics are as good (Grafted Arm is neat if you don't mind having a freaky ape/monster arm, tho), so if you can't get/afford the Mithral one just get a normal Regeneration.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The big question here is whether or not a regenerated arm is likely to be lost again.

If not, it's the obviously superior choice, IMO, since getting a prosthetic means having a sunder target attached to your shoulder. It's a choice between whether or not to give yourself an obvious point of weakness for a piddly +4 str or not.

If, on the otherhand, this is likely to happen again regardless the mithral arm isn't such an unattractive option. +4 is nothing when it comes with a glaring weakness like that, but it's comparable to, and stacks with, a belt of giant's strength, making it none-to-shabby if you're as likely as not to lose that arm again anyway.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

There was a wonderful bit on prosthetics in the 2E splatbook on Drow.
    Their prosthetics were made of the 'black' adamantine they produced (i.e. very hard to sunder), were purely mechanical (no real bonuses), but offered a little flavour.
    People with prosthetic limbs could carry different 'attachments', including dress hands for social occations, weapon hands and utility hands.
    Imagine the look on people's faces when your arm unfolds into an already-strung composite longbow...

As far as rules go, there were some nice ones in a 3rd-party swords & sorcery book, about making prosthetics from different materials or by different methods (including a secret society that practiced full-body replacement)
    Current Character: Pathfinder Tiefling Sorcerer (Abyssal Sorcerer 5, Souleater 1)
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

My last melee character would have happily cut off his own right arm for that mithral arm. Seriously, untyped bonus to strength? I'll sign up for that with my left hand (since i cut off the right one).
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Well that depends: how much to you like the title character of FMA?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Which book is that arm in?

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Be careful with prosthetics. If FMA is anything to go by, it may cause you to be so short you lose a size category.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofCrom View Post
    Be careful with prosthetics. If FMA is anything to go by, it may cause you to be so short you lose a size category.
    "Who are you calling an ant-sized half-pint?!"

Which book is that arm in?
    A third party Pathfinder source. It's up on the d20PFSRD anyway, so you don't actually need the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I personally like 3.5's mithral arm, giving +2 str, +2 dex, and +2 deflection to AC. But yeah, I've made a build based around spending tons of WBL on gaining additional limbs via graft and then cutting them off to put on mithral arms. +100 str by level 20. And a ton of arms for multiweapon fighting.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Although it is not really a prosthetic there are rules in the 3.5 book libris mortis for undead arm, leg, eye etc grafts that could be adapted to pf they give bonuses typically to stats and some give spell like abilities

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    My last melee character would have happily cut off his own right arm for that mithral arm. Seriously, untyped bonus to strength? I'll sign up for that with my left hand (since i cut off the right one).
    Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    There was a wonderful bit on prosthetics in the 2E splatbook on Drow.
    Their prosthetics were made of the 'black' adamantine they produced (i.e. very hard to sunder), were purely mechanical (no real bonuses), but offered a little flavour.
    People with prosthetic limbs could carry different 'attachments', including dress hands for social occations, weapon hands and utility hands.
    Imagine the look on people's faces when your arm unfolds into an already-strung composite longbow...

As far as rules go, there were some nice ones in a 3rd-party swords & sorcery book, about making prosthetics from different materials or by different methods (including a secret society that practiced full-body replacement)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Well that depends: how much to you like the title character of FMA?
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofCrom View Post
    Tsk tsk tsk... You only think about FMA? Let's make it better: there's another guy with a mechanical prosthetic arm, and he's more than 6' tall, wields a wicked blade and the weapon turns into a one-shot handcannon. That's definitely a melee character if I ever see one. Ed? That's for the Enlightened Fist that specializes in transmutation.

On topic: that's what you get when you mix 3rd party stuff with an "anything goes" hypertext SRD. A +4 untyped bonus to Strength borders the nice and the excessive, if only because it's a nice boon, but one that hints of "must-have", much like you MUST have a Belt of Strength because the game was built on those lines. It's just right between "it's a nice thing for melee" and "what the heck were those 3rd party writers thinking of?".

On the other hand: why Mithral? Shouldn't that be the province of Adamantine?
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Thanks for all the responses!

Although I've decided against it, on the grounds that while +4 to STR would be great, it does provide another weakness, I do not need in this campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post

On the other hand: why Mithral? Shouldn't that be the province of Adamantine?
    Mithral because the golems that tore off my character's arm were mithral golems- so we would have the materials to go off of. And for in-game reasons I'm under a vow of poverty of sorts, so gold is in short supply.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

You need to target something specifically to sunder it. Does you character wear a long sleeve shirt? Congratulations, any enemies that haven't researched him know nothing about his weakness, thus making you immune to them sundering your arm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like one, that on a lonesome road
    Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round walks on,
    And turns no more his head;
    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread.
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner -- Samuel Coleridge Taylor

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by White_Drake View Post
    You need to target something specifically to sunder it. Does you character wear a long sleeve shirt? Congratulations, any enemies that haven't researched him know nothing about his weakness, thus making you immune to them sundering your arm.
    Yes, it could be covered, but then when it comes to things like Anti-magic fields and dispel, my character would be rendered completely useless, at least combat wise.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

why not get 'Arms of the Naga' as well for en extra set of hands literally its only 56,000 gp
    (savage species p 55)
    if you enjoy me insanity i have bad news for you.
    YOU ARE MAD MAAAADD MMMAAAAAAADD

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

only 56 thousand? for a second set of arms that explicitly cant be used to give extra attacks (but may hold a shield) forces you to make a dc 19 save in stressful situations or take a -2 penalty to most rolls. this is a terrible choice.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hmm, well a prosthetic limb does make you very distinctive/tons of flavor. However, non-function in antimagic/dead magic zone is totally uncool, especially if you need both hands to wield your weapon. The strength bonus is cool, but only when it works.

I'll ditto the previous comments on how 3rd party stuff can be very unbalancing. Modified a 3rd party PrC for one of my characters, only to realize later that it was massively unbalanced; ended up giving a level adjustment along with the creature type-change capstone.

In a related note, availability of regeneration and other of the powerful healing spells has always made me wonder why there are any crippled/blind/maimed people in the world. Surely some retired clerics and churches would have had "vaccination campaigns" to remove all health ailments from anyone that lived in any kind of population center. Traveling clerics could easily cure all the abnormal people in a village over a couple days' downtime. It's nice to think that people don't have to live with such difficulties thanks to magic, but it also smacks of some kind of dystopian eugenics program that turns everyone into the perfect specimen of race x.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

regenerate is expensive. Depending on your level demographics running around and fixing every one could be impossible. particularly becuase any one strong enough to do that has better things to do with their time like fight evil.

also healing a lost limb does not equal eugenics
    Last edited by awa; 2013-01-05 at 04:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tactfultack View Post
    Yes, it could be covered, but then when it comes to things like Anti-magic fields and dispel, my character would be rendered completely useless, at least combat wise.
    IIRC grafts don't count as magic items, but I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    regenerate is expensive. Depending on your level demographics running around and fixing every one could be impossible. particularly becuase any one strong enough to do that has better things to do with their time like fight evil.

also healing a lost limb does not equal eugenics
    Suggesting that high-level characters/npcs and multinational affiliations like major churches are under any major constraint because of wealth is not exactly in keeping with the amount of money that spellcasters can acquire.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it costs nothing for a divine caster to cast regenerate. If you want to buy it from a divine caster, than yes, that is likely to require a donation, but it any big church devoted to healing/helping people is going to be chock full of clerics that want to help people for free/reduce the suffering of commoners. Some churches might even make going on routine healing of the poor missions part of their member's religious devotion.

Between regenerate and heal, most every common ailment or disability, physical or mental, could be dealt with (though there is some DM interpretation here). And while this doesn't fit the real-world definition of eugenics, this would be a way of turning all the people that are normally weeded out of the gene pool by eugenics into average commoners, a good first step in any eugenics program.

I guess the flip side is just that we need some evil churches going around spreading blight, plague and infirmity. *checks list of existing churches in my campaign world* Mission accomplished.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-01-05 at 04:53 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

That assumes there are large numbers of high level casters who have no requirements on their time other then running around healing people. D&d has the assumption that their are large numbers of dangerous monsters so any one both powerful and altruistic enough that they want to spend their whole day saving people would find his time better spent stopping evil cults and rampaging monsters.

Definition of EUGENICS
    : a science that deals with the improvement (as by control of human mating) of hereditary qualities of a race or breed

healing disease and injuries and increasing the odds of "unfit" individuals survival is anti eugenics like the literal opposite. Also neither heal or regenerate would heal say a club foot or a hunched back and they certainly would not removed the genes for them
    Last edited by awa; 2013-01-05 at 05:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

That assumes there are large numbers of high level casters who have no requirements on their time other then running around healing people. D&d has the assumption that their are large numbers of dangerous monsters so any one both powerful and altruistic enough that they want to spend their whole day saving people would find his time better spent stopping evil cults and rampaging monsters.
    The great thing about high-level casters is that they have absolutely no difficulty stopping rampaging monsters and cults while still having time to call an angel or whatever and get it to heal up a few villages in exchange for more worship for the angel's god.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

The great thing about high-level casters is that they have absolutely no difficulty stopping rampaging monsters and cults while still having time to call an angel or whatever and get it to heal up a few villages in exchange for more worship for the angel's god.
    Moreover, the spells per day mechanic kind of guarantees that, during the days when the evil cult isn't a problem (and these days do crop up), that lots of impact can be wrought on the world of commoners. Even if you go by the mechanics for highest level of npcs in a community by population, you do typically end up with a fairly large number of casters living in a city. Over time, it wouldn't be hard to make an impact on numbers of, let's say, blind people.

The real world eugenics relies on breeding, but mostly focuses on creating a society of perfect people as the goal of the breeding. Irl, breeding is the only way to create such a society, but with magic you don't have to wait for the next generation to get rid of imperfections. It was, admittedly, not a usage of the word approved by Oxford's Dictionary of the English Language.

MAGIC.

Extended Sigbox

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

people wont be perfect they will not be sick/ protected from a small array of physical imperfections. you will still have people born with club feet and and weak constitutions.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

people wont be perfect they will not be sick/ protected from a small array of physical imperfections. you will still have people born with club feet and and weak constitutions.
    Actually, a fair number of congenital birth defects come from disease in the parents (i.e., cure the parents, no sick child...gonorrhea comes to mind). Admittedly, it would be beyond the scope of core spells to ensure that a baby was born healthy, but it's hardly beyond the scope of what magic would be used for in a fantasy setting. I believe such spells actually exist in some 3rd party stuff (BoEF perhaps).

Even "genetic alteration" is possible with magic, though I agree that this would be well beyond the scope of the kind of religious missionaries that would tend to the sickly.

To my original comment, I believe I said "smacks of," which means roughly "tastes like [eugenics]," which shouldn't be construed as "is literal equivalent of [eugenics]."

Anyway, now we venture well beyond the original topic of the thread.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-01-05 at 07:21 PM.

Extended Sigbox

27. - Top - End - #27

For people with Con of less than 5 (who can't be brought up to par by abusing wishes) there's always Reincarnation and hoping that the DM doesn't roll "badger."
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

For people with Con of less than 5 (who can't be brought up to par by abusing wishes) there's always Reincarnation and hoping that the DM doesn't roll "badger."
    DM should always roll badger. At least, whenever it's funny. Which is usually the case. (Where do you think those wildren come from?)

A DM could certainly run some kind of prosthetic as a graft, just refluff the stats for a graft, get someone with high ranks in Heal and Knowledge (arcana) to bolt it on and maybe a spell or two (with instantaneous duration, so no dispel/antimagic suppression), and BAM, mithril-ish arm. I'd still stay away from silly +4 unnamed strength bonus. For fluff, it just runs off the energy of your life force (like other grafts), justifying some small cost in hp perhaps. Now it works in dead magic zones, and you won't have to worry about having a useless lump of metal hanging from your shoulder.

Extended Sigbox

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Anyway, now we venture well beyond the original topic of the thread."
    I agree this particular topic no longer interests me and i believe all pertinent points have been mentioned.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

A mechanical arm +4 seems better, since it costs the same and gives +4 to dex and str instead of just strength. But if your DM doesn't let you use the mithral golem materials to make one a mithral golem arm might be more convenient to get.