New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [D&D 4E] Threats to the Nentir Vale (IC)

The last week of adventuring has been particularly unrelenting for the party. Happening upon that overturned caravan along the trade road set events in motion. Inside a hidden compartment of the lead wagon was a strange puzzlebox of dwarven craftsmanship. Unsure of what to do with the artifact it is decided that the group should transport it to Hammerfast for study.

Travel along the road was particularly grueling as the party was set upon by bandits, kobolds, and even a family of young drakes.

Upon arriving in Hammerfast the party was instructed to bring the object to the Lore Guild for study. You were rewarded handsomely by the guild's leader, Geld Seekingstone, who promised to share any developments with your group.

The return trip was more exhausting than harrowing for the party. You arrive rather beaten down and in serious need of rest and relaxation. Several days are spent recuperating and soaking up the local atmosphere at the Nentir Inn. On your fourth day back in town everyone wakes up early and files downstairs for breakfast.

It's fairly empty save for a couple of regulars, a handful of dock workers that are eating rather noisily at the counter, and a pair of off duty guards who are nursing ales in the far corner of the room. Serim Selduzar, a tiefling expatriate noble from the south, whom the group has spoken to on several occasions, raises his mug.

The proprietor, Erandil Zemoar, looks up from swapping mugs as the party descends into the taproom. "What can I get for you all this morning?", he calls from across the room.

OOC: Thornin Anvilshield
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you're looking for work you may wish to speak with a pair of acquaintances you met in Hammerfast some years back. The old dwarves Teldorthan and Sergeant Murgeddin may be found at the Blue Moon Alehouse, Wizard's Gate, or Teldorthan’s Arms.

OOC: Lannval Grymfriar
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've heard whispers from close friends in the guard that Captain Nathan Faringray has his men on a rather hush, hush assignment. The Captain will be found either at the town barracks or on the outskirts of town.

OOC: Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to converse amongst yourselves about your previous adventure or about your plans for the day.

OOC: Fallcrest Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-09 at 01:45 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Threats to the Nentir Vale (IC)

Sen, Siren Ranger

Sen already has her armor on and her bundle of javelins strapped to her back when she shakes Jessica awake at the crack of dawn. As the girl goes through her morning routine Sen repeatedly gestures towards the door, as if to hurry her along, but doesn't offer any more explanation until they leave the room. When they meet up with the men of the party in the hallway, and before they head downstairs, Sen opens the green pack that is tied at her waist and produces from it a thin black slate. While over the past week of adventuring she had managed to teach her companions a few simple hand signs--they had worked out quick things that were useful in the thick of battle--she still had to write on the slate to communicate most of the time. Now she held it out to the others, revealing a message that was already written on it.

"RESTLESS," the scribble on the slate reads. "GO SOMEWHERE?"

When they descend the stairs, she stays behind the bigger Lann and Arakai, as if trying to hide from the strangers in the common room. When Erandil calls out to them, though, she perks up a bit, and taps Lann on the shoulder. She takes out her slate again, hastily wipes it clean, and then, fumbling with the chalk for a moment, scribbles a new message on it and holds it up to him. "EGG!"
    Last edited by Rjanag; 2012-11-22 at 09:40 PM. Reason: oops, tense
    Sen, Siren Ranger [D&D 4e] (Threats to the Nentir Vale)
    Enrik, Human Sorceror [D&D 3.5e] (Tavern at the End of the Universe)

3. - Top - End - #3

MonkGuy

With what felt like most of his party behind him, Lannval Grymfriar, or Lann as they know him, is first down the stairs. Tall, brawny and freshly clean-shaven, his presence fills the room like the rays of morning sunshine.

He raises a hand in greeting to the tiefling noble before turning to the barman. "A fine morning, if I do say so myself. It's a good place you run here, Dil." Lann called the barman by his nickname like any old regular. He rubbed his clean jaw. "Needed that shave for a while now."

"As for breakfast, get my friends whatever they want." He feels a touch on his shoulder and stoops to read what Sen had written down on her writing slate. Lann nodded at the request. "That means two plates of eggs. one for Sen here and another for me. Don't forget the bacon and a tankard of small beer!" The grin on his face was bright and brilliant. "Not good to have the hard stuff this early." He turned to the others. "Come now, don't be shy!"

He led his party over to one of the wider tables. The big warlord spotted the pair of guards and thought he recognized them. Lann recalled what he'd heard from a couple of gate guards the other day and gestured for the barmaid. He whispered some instructions to the curvy young woman and slipped her a gold coin. A few minutes later, a refill was borne to Serim and the two guards in their corner. Lann only grinned and raised his tankard when they turned to him.
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2012-11-28 at 09:15 AM.
    I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. It's been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.
    - Shane "Footsteps" Falco

I like my action the way I like my juice; Pulpy!

4. - Top - End - #4

Having travelled and been on the road for almost half her short life, Jessica was used not so tired or overwhelmed by the past 2 weeks of adventuring. She was a girl, for a studious one that is, that seemed to thrive on adventuring. The girl was no ranger but she was at home in the wilderness and could stay there as much as she could stay in an inn. Still she was glad for the warm bed and meal and a roof over her head for the past few days.

Jessica herself was an early riser, although not too early as Sen. She looks at Sen curiously as she hurries up to change. The girl just shrugs at Sen's need to get moving. Although Jessica was starting to get bored. As she headed downstairs she politely asked the barkeeper for some scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and a glass of cow's milk. Then she sits at the table and opens her spellbook to study a new set of spells for the day. She lets the adults decide the next course of action and simply listens in.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Thornin Avilshield, Fighter of the Lost Clan
    Thornin woke up in a haze, as he normally does, and realized he didn't quite make it to the bed the night before. He was propped up against the bed, still in his armor, and rubbed his eyes. He took the pitcher of water from the tables next to him, took a long drink, then splashed the rest over his face and head. He took a towel from the same dresser and wiped up the excess water, picked up his things, and went downstairs.

When he came downstairs he grunted a hello at the others and sat down at the bar. All he said to the question from Erandil was, "Ale". He pulled out some jerky from his pack and munched on that while he wated for his ale to come. When Erandil set the mug down, Thornin get his attention, shakes his head, and says, "Bigger". Erandil gives him a look, takes the ale away, and bring a much bigger one. Thornin nods, and starts drinking on his ale.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Left with neither love nor friendship at home, after his grandfather's death, Arakai decided to leave the tribe and headed toward Fallcrest, in search of his parents and adventures. He had no idea if his parents were still alive but he swore to find them. If not, at least, it was time for him to craft his own path and experienced a world, hopefully, vastly different from where he came from.

The half orc is please so far with the group he has been working with for the past weeks. The first taste of respect, after all those years of disdain from his own tribe, was an addictive experience for him, which interrupted his habitual, withdrawn and rowdy behaviors; he opened up more to his mates. He trusted them- something that he reserved only for his grandfather.

Somethings have changed within him. The half orc sat at the table eating a hearty breakfast, reflecting his recent experiences while waiting for his mates. When he saw Sen, he let off an aloft greeting and invitation, " Goo mornin...SEN...have some good eat... with Arakai?"

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Sen, Siren Ranger
    Knowing by now that Thornin tends to be abrasive (at best) in the mornings, Sen gives the dwarf a wide berth as the group goes about breakfast. While waiting for the food to come she hovers over Jessica's shoulder and peeks at her books, but quickly loses interest when she realizes they're just more of that magicky stuff that she can't read--even though she recognizes all the little symbols, the way they go together just doesn't seem to make any sense. Finally she takes her plate of food and sits with Arakai, nodding at his suggestion to eat--the half-orc's love of food is one of the simple pleasures she can relate to much more easily than Jessica's strange books and Lann's clever conversations with people. Sen hunches over her plate and scarfs down her food loudly, as messy as any of the burliest, beardiest men the innkeeper has ever seen.

8. - Top - End - #8

A while after placing your orders a serving girl emerges from the kitchen carrying a large tray of food and drink. Carefully she sets down plates and mugs for each of you before hastily moving to check on other patrons.

Both guards are shocked by the refill but gladly drink down the additional ale. When Lann raises his tankard the men look over and raise their mugs in appreciation.

The tiefling, Serim slides out of his chair and sidles over to the group. "Despite my wealth I've never been one to turn down a free drink. Thank you kindly, Lann.", he says with a nod of his horned head. "So I noticed you've been hanging around town a bit longer than usual, work must of dried up, eh?

Insight DC 12
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is studying each of you intently, prying for information.

OOC: Thornin, Lann
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are you going to share what I told you with the others? I'm just curious.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-11-27 at 07:20 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

9. - Top - End - #9

MonkGuy

Lann grinned up at the tiefling. Though it was pretty obvious what Serim was doing, the big warrior gave no sign. He took a big gulp of his small ale.

"We're actually in between jobs, Serim," Lann used his given name familiarly. "In fact, I believe we're about to look up our first reference now. 'Scuse me."

With a polite nod, Lann took a bite off a bacon strip and rose to walk over to the two guards, mug in hand. "Watch the table, Sen." said Lann.

If a certain mute ranger had been watching, she might have recognized the following sign as the redheaded warrior brought the tankard to his lips before he left.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Nosy watcher."

Without any preamble, Lann took a seat right next to the guard on the left. "For the record, I did offer to pay for the washing of his clothes after the incident with those seamstresses." He grinned at them. "You boys think Faringray's in a mood to see me this morning?"
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2012-11-28 at 08:39 AM.
    I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. It's been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

Sen, Siren Ranger
    Sen catches Lann's sign as he gets up. She winks, impressed that he's picked up so many signs already. When Lann asks her to watch the table, she nods, and puts her arms around her plate of food protectively.

She looks over at Serim. Lacking Lann's sense of tact, she puffs up her cheeks and sticks her tongue out at the tiefling.

11. - Top - End - #11

Serim rubs his left horn, not quite sure what to make of the mute's gesture. "Well - I suppose I'll just head back to my table.", declares the tiefling while pointing his thumb back to where he had been sitting previously. "If things don't work out I might have an enterprising opportunity for some daring adventurers.", Serim hints with a sly grin as he shuffles back across the taproom.

Both guardsmen set their beverages down, turning to focus on the newcomer. The burly guard leans in close to get a better look at Lann. "Sorry friend, I don't think we've met before.", he exclaims while scratching his unkempt beard.

His hook nosed compatriot cranes his head, speaking in a low accusatory tone. "The more pertinent question is why you're so interested in speaking with the captain?"
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-09 at 01:48 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Thornin Anvilshield, Fighter of the Lost Clan
    After downing 2 more ales, Thornin gets a forth one and walks over to the table with his allies. "If'in we be needin' yer help, we will come find ya', pointy." Thornin then turns to his people, "I be knowin' a couple 'o guys that might be able to throw some work our way. Finish up here, an' we will go an' try to find 'em."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

13. - Top - End - #13

DruidGuy

Sen, Siren Ranger
    As Serim hints about his "enterprising opportunity", Sen looks on wide-eyed, not a glimmer of understanding crossing her face. When Thornin appears and responds to the tiefling, she breathes a sigh of relief, happy to see that she won't be responsible for passing the tiefling's message on to the others.

At Thornin's suggestion of going to find work, she quickly inhales the last of her breakfast and stands up, bumping the table and leaving her plate spinning in little circles for a moment before it settles back down. For a moment it looks as if she's about to head off into the street without even waiting to hear where Thornin wants them to go. Then she pauses and, looking at Thornin, points towards Lann who is still at the table with the guards.

14. - Top - End - #14

Serim looks up from his tankard, giving Thornin a rather sinister smile. "Just remember to keep my offer in mind." The tiefling's attention then turns to his near empty mug. "Serving girl, I am in need of a refill!"
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-09 at 01:48 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

15. - Top - End - #15

Jessica continues eating breakfast and studying her spellbook. She is not one to barge in on others conversations, although she is willing to listen in from time to time. The girl really has nothing to add at the moment.

16. - Top - End - #16

MonkGuy

"Oh! I see you gents aren't part of my usual crowd. I would ask you two to forget any references I made about seamstresses, if you please." Lann grinned at them again. "But let's remedy that. Lann Grymfriar, adventurer. At your service. We are introduced now."

Without waiting, he reached and shook both their hands firmly. "Those are my mates over there," He jerked his head at the table, with the grouchy-looking dwarf, a human in leather armor and a half orc both stuffing their faces... And a little girl with her nose buried in a book. "All law-abiding and evil-smiting adventurers. Anyway, I heard from Cerwin Longstride and Kalas Redsun, good friends of mine from the Third Squad of Nentir Guards, that your good Captain Faringray is organizing himself a very hush hush sort of mission."

"As I have nothing but praise for the skill and might of the Guards," added Lann, taking a generous pull of his tankard. "I would like to offer the services of me and some skilled adventurers to better help him get the job done. Think he'd be interested? And if he is, where would I see him?"
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2012-11-29 at 07:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

BarbarianGuy

The half Orc ate through the short exchanges, preferring to leave the small 'talks' to his mate. When his comrade introduced them, he looked up and uncontrollably snorted, with food full and still chewing in his mouth. His expression locked in a fierce, stone cold cast- his preferred way to tell strangers not to xxxk with him, or at least get them to think twice before such attempt.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Thornin just stares at the Tiefling for a moment, then moves on, answering Sen's frantic pointings, not always knowing what she is trying to say, "Yes, yes lass, we will be takin' 'im too, don't you be worryin'. We will be leavin' as soon as everyone be done here, so herry up!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Rjanag, I think Thornin would misinterpret Sen most of the time, so just letting you know that if it doesn't seem like he understood her....he doesn't

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

19. - Top - End - #19

Gritting his teeth, the hook nosed guard's eyes widen in surprise. He quickly surveys the room to ensure no one is eavesdropping on their conversation. His burly compatriot with the beard begins coughing violently as he nearly chokes on his ale. Quickly wiping some of the spilled liquid from his tunic he raises his index finger to his lips, in an attempt to stop Lann from saying anymore.

"Why those lazy, good for nothing gossips! How dare they betray Faringray's confidence, he wanted no one outside the watch to know until the situation was resolved. I'll have those two louts slapped in irons and left to rot if it's the last thing I do!", the hook nosed man rasps.

To ensure things don’t get further out of hand the guard's coworker claps a hand on his shoulder and tries to diffuse the situation. "Alright now just calm down, Arandel! This fellow and his band of followers might be able to help us out. Look, it has been over a month and we still haven't found a single lead. I believe it’s high time that we set aside our pride and ask for help before more citizens...", he trails off not wanting to say anything further on the subject.

"Alright, Lann is it? You're right we could use some assistance on this one. However should Faringray even consider trusting you he will require "convincing" that you won't betray his confidence, and leak any information regarding our investigation." A long sigh escapes the man as he runs his hands through his matted hair. "It’s still early yet so I imagine he'll be drilling the recruits on the fields west of town. Now I've told you all I could so can we finish our drinks in peace?"

The guard's friend leans back in his chair, angrily pursing his lips, still displeased with the situation.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-06-09 at 01:50 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

20. - Top - End - #20

MonkGuy

Lann's grin narrowed to an apologetic smile as he stood to return to his friends.

"Yes, you've said more than enough. Thank you very much, sirs. Also, for not getting Kalas and Cerwin into trouble. Rather fond of those two, I am, even if the former is flirts too much for his own good while the latter cheats at dice." He tipped his head at them. "A good day to the both of you."

He made his way back to his table. Thornin was there now, apparently trying to make sense of what Sen was trying to say.

"Back now Sen, nothing to worry about. Morning, Thornin," said Lann with a friendly nod. "Got ourselves a job with the town guards. Something about a hush-hush mission that they're having trouble with. Wanna go see their Captain Faringray about what we can do?"

21. - Top - End - #21

DruidGuy

Sen, Siren Ranger
    When Thornin and Lann both suggest pursuing leads, Sen makes a quick series of signs that just leaves the others squinting at her in confusion. Seeing that they don't understand what she was trying to say, she claws at her face in confusion for a moment, and then reproduces the slate from her pack and scribbles something on it for a moment before flipping it around to show them.

The slate shows three stick figures on it. One of them, shorter than the others and with a beard--clearly meant to indicate Thornin--has an arrow pointing off in one direction, and another, taller and with long straight hair, has an arrow pointing off in a different direction. The last figure is holding a bundle of spears in its hand, and an arrow going from that figure points towards a drawing of a head with curved horns coming out of it. As she shows them the slate she raises her eyebrows, which they recognize as meaning that what she's saying is a question or suggestion. To reinforce her meaning she points at Thornin and then squiggles her finger off in another direction, doing the sign they have learned means "Go", then points at Lann and makes the same sign in another direction, and points at herself and Arakai and makes the same sign in the direction of Serim. All the while she is bouncing on her feet, as if antsy to get going.
    Last edited by Rjanag; 2012-12-01 at 10:15 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

MonkGuy

Lann bent down to peer into Sen's drawing board, trying to make sense of what she'd written.

"A fine idea, Sen," the redheaded warrior said at length when he'd more or less figured it out. "But until you can magically learn to talk all of a sudden, my lead can wait." He smiled placatingly.
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2012-12-01 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Wrong Post!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

As the flailing of Sen starts, Thornin immediately loses interest. He finishes his beer while she draws on her board, having already made up his mind as to what he was going to do. He slams the mug down on the table, lets out a large burp, and starts walking in the direction of where he thinks his contacts will most likely be, not waiting for anyone to tag along.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

24. - Top - End - #24

MonkGuy

"Wow. I do believe we're in demand. Wouldn't you say so, Thornin? Thornin?"

Lann turned just in time to see the dwarf amble out of the tavern and into the street. He snorted and shook his head. For all their time adventuring, he still had trouble reading the grump dwarf. He turned back to the table, to where Arakhai was polishing off the last of his breakfast.

He looked at his own as of yet untouched plate and snatched a few morsels. "Maybe one of you ought to follow the dwarf, see what he's up to?" The warlord suggested with the blunt cheerfulness of a prison warden beating sense into convicts. "Not you, though, Jessica." Lann affected that tone of voice he believed was parental authority. It just made him sound like a peevish older sibling.

Turning to Sen, his mouth full of eggs and bacon, Lann said. "Mine can wait, Sen m'dear. I'll talk to Serim with you." He gulped down his food with a swallow of small beer. "But first, breakfast."
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2012-12-02 at 05:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

DruidGuy

Sen, Siren Ranger
    When Lann goes and sits down at Serim's table, Sen stays standing just behind Lann's shoulder. She crosses her arms and watches the tiefling carefully through narrowed eyes, waiting for his response.

26. - Top - End - #26

Jessica may have been concentrating on her studying but it did not mean she was not paying attention to her surroundings. She overheard what the guard said and her interest was peaked. She was used to Lann's somewhat bossy attitude. And to be honest she did not care. The girl too was anxious for some travel time. The time in the town was enjoyable but boring.

"So when do we take the ferry?"

27. - Top - End - #27

BarbarianGuy

Arakai scratched his head, raised a btiw and watched Sen's weird drawings. Then he shook his head as if in confusion and shrugged," SEN, Arakai follow you Where ye go..."

28. - Top - End - #28

MonkGuy

Lann shrugged. The half orc's loyalty was rather touching. But then came Jessica's comment about a ferry. He sat there for a while, ruminating on what she said. "Not today, Jessica. Turns out we got a whole bunch of offers for work. We might be out on the road again by the afternoon or the evening. So it'll either be ferries or the wagon once again." He pulled his plate closer. "Now lemme finish my breakfast."

What followed was the utter demolition of a harmless platter of eggs and bacon. The redheaded warrior wiped the crumbs off his face and dusted his hands. Motioning for the ranger to follow, he went over to Serim's table and helped himself to a seat, ordering another tankard of small ale.

"My good friend here says you too might have work for us?" Lann asked pleasantly. He had his familiar bright smile on his open honest face once again.

29. - Top - End - #29

Serim ignores the adventurer's approach, choosing to finish his drink and consume the remaining morsels from breakfast. Once he is finished eating the tiefling produces a fancy napkin to wipe his mouth, before finally turning to acknowledge the presence of Lann and his mute companion.

"So I take it my offer was too tantalizing for you to pass up, eh?", he exclaims with a hearty chuckle. "The opportunity I'm offering will require clandestine measure that will depend on you not asking questions. This job will pay each of your group one thousand drakes. If you accept you will receive two-hundred coins of your fee up front and the rest upon completion. However should you decide to decline or take time to think about it, my offer will go off the table and we shall not discuss this matter again."

Insight DC 12
    Spoiler
    Show
    You definitely get the feeling that while vague, Serim's offer is very shady.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-12-02 at 06:15 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

30. - Top - End - #30

MonkGuy

Lann was a little taken aback by the stringent conditions Serim had put forward. But then again, given the money involved, the tiefling could impose whatever secrecy he wanted. The northerner caught the impression that the noble was an old hand at this type of dealing.

He gave Sen a rather helpless look. In all their association, it wasn't often the big warrior was caught off guard. He turned back to the tiefling.

"That's a lot of money for an upfront payment," he coached his words carefully. "Tempting as it is, I can't speak for my group. Maybe some minor details about what you want done? As our association has been nothing but cordial, of course."

Diplomacy, Wheedle Information
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[19]
    Last edited by 18th Avenger; 2012-12-02 at 09:09 AM.