Page 1 of 46 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The end of Ctrl-Alt-Del

http://www.cad-comic.com/

Tim Buckley has announced that the Ctrl-Alt-Del webcomic is ending, in its current format at least. And unlike the LFG thread that popped up recently (and got my hopes up) this is actually true.

For those that don't want to go to the actual site: the main storyline, with Ethan, Lucas, Lilah et al, is finished, and no longer the main focus of the comic. The characters will reappear, but any 'story' comics will be collected into a 22-24 page comic book and released all at once. The weekly comic is returning to the more topical game related gags he started with, mostly focussing on the 'gamer' characters he's used in the past.

CAD has come in for a lot of flak over the years, especially during the miscarriage storyline: I was someone who stopped reading around that time (mostly as I don't find entertainment in character's suffering), but eventually went back. Like many comic artists I think Tim has been criticised for trying to write a print comic in a webcomic format. Unlike some, it appears he agrees, hence the restricting story comics to 'books' to be released in one go. It will be interesting to see where this goes from here.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

I'm a world builder, but have no worlds of my own. If you have a basic concept and want ideas to flesh it out, I can help! Pm me!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The end of Ctrl-Alt-Del

'Here lies a
    wretched corse, of wretched soul bereft:
    Seek not my name: a plague consume you wicked
    caitiffs left!
    Here lie I, Tim; who, alive, all living men did hate:
    Pass by and curse thy fill, but pass and stay
    not here thy gait.'
    'I shall be pleased and proud to have been the first who completely enjoyed the fruits of his writing, just as he wished, for my only desire has been to have people reject and despise the false and nonsensical histories of the books of chivalry, which are already stumbling over the history of my true Don Quixote, and will undoubtedly fall to the ground.' -Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote (Edith Grossman)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't really have much to say about this comic. It was kinda bland and I lost track of it shortly after the miscarriage storyline. I won't miss Ethan. He was kinda a jerk and his jackassery didn't bite him in the rump enough.

Treats customers like crap, still gets customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Why are you guys combining DD and Logic anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogotoo View Post
    In the hope that we can neutralize DD in the same way that a base neutralizes an acid?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    I didn't really have much to say about this comic. It was kinda bland and I lost track of it shortly after the miscarriage storyline. I won't miss Ethan. He was kinda a jerk and his jackassery didn't bite him in the rump enough.

Treats customers like crap, still gets customers.
    It's nice that his actions caused a horrible apocalypse that he was blamed for though. Oh, and he causes the end of the universe.

It came a little too late though.
    'I shall be pleased and proud to have been the first who completely enjoyed the fruits of his writing, just as he wished, for my only desire has been to have people reject and despise the false and nonsensical histories of the books of chivalry, which are already stumbling over the history of my true Don Quixote, and will undoubtedly fall to the ground.' -Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote (Edith Grossman)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I read it a bit years ago, but I lost track of it way before it garnered the controversy that it is currently known for.

Personally, I found Ethan to be a pretty okay character, and the "serious" parts of the storyline added to the whole. Of course, I don't know what he did with it later; checking the last page now, I can see why he might have gone a bit overboard with it.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, i think the hate spiraled out of control. Yeah yeah miscarriage, blah de bloo, one bad arc does not a comic strip ruin. I think the main problem was pretty much exactly what he said in his post, he started the strip as a gag a day silly thing, and then when he tried to turn it into a story, he kept hitting the brick wall of how his characters personalities had already been developed. It was a decent comic overall, nothing awesome, but not that bad. I am looking forward to seeing where he goes from here.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Huh, I may go back to reading this comic then. His one off gamer joke comics were always his best work.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always read the comic. I think the miscarriage arc as well done (if you didn't know, it was right around the time when Tim and his wife had a similar experience, sor therapuetic in that regard). Geenrally the comic is slightly snarky (Lukate paring anyone?) but then it changed tone and IMO really showed that the comic was capable to probe some more mature topics as well. it amazed me even. On ethan being a jerk. yes. yes he is, however, I know a lot of people who apart from actually making it known to the customer, think it all the time. Customers are the biggest jerks around. they have in their the notion ow entering a shop and thus being entitled to wear a crown and treat shop owners and attendants worse then they'd treat the crap under their shoes. BTW I especially liked the winter-een-mas stories and the story about little boy starting here. It was just heartwarming.

On the other hand I think it's a good moment for a reboot since at the moment the stories were becoming very far fetched. Anyway, I'll see what happens.

Debater of the Tyrion Lannister fanclub

“The gods help those who help themselves, and my word, didn't I help myself.” - Avatar by the awesome Grinner

Old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Original Tyrion by Smuchmuch:

Pony Tyrion by Elemental:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    On ethan being a jerk. yes. yes he is, however, I know a lot of people who apart from actually making it known to the customer, think it all the time. Customers are the biggest jerks around. they have in their the notion ow entering a shop and thus being entitled to wear a crown and treat shop owners and attendants worse then they'd treat the crap under their shoes.
    Thing is, Ethan's customers are little more than naive, stupid and inexperienced. They only start being jerks when Ethan refuses to help them and starts insulting them. IIRC, only the weird goth chick that stirred up controversy for supposedly being a ripoff was actively jerkish toward him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Why are you guys combining DD and Logic anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogotoo View Post
    In the hope that we can neutralize DD in the same way that a base neutralizes an acid?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Thing is, Ethan's customers are little more than naive, stupid and inexperienced. They only start being jerks when Ethan refuses to help them and starts insulting them. IIRC, only the weird goth chick that stirred up controversy for supposedly being a ripoff was actively jerkish toward him.
    No, teh goth girl was challenging the system like a DnD optimizer (if you cant that jerkish, ok). For the rest the customers are as developed as Blandy McTasteless

Debater of the Tyrion Lannister fanclub

“The gods help those who help themselves, and my word, didn't I help myself.” - Avatar by the awesome Grinner

Old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Original Tyrion by Smuchmuch:

Pony Tyrion by Elemental:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the comic could have had a better ending than this. Stupid and irritating though the characters could be at times, I did actually grow to like them and the various storylines.

"Existence ends, everyone dies" is a crap way to say goodbye to characters that people have been following for years. =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Succubus gets grongratulatory cookies from me. You have stepped into the realm of puns that only the likes of Death, Your Friend the Reaper have seen.

Posting schedule likely to be erratic for the next few weeks - sorting out some personal stuff.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The end of a mediocre webcomic is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for readers to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the fans than on the creator. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

13. - Top - End - #13

SolithKnightGuy

The man can't write a serious story to save his life.

Seriously, the biggest complaint people had about CAD was the miscarriage story line, not just because it was randomly depressing and out of place but because it was just poorly written.

So how does he decide to end his 'story'? With another serious arc, death, and depression. That's... great Tim. Just amazing.

So, at least some good will come out of this - the main comic will now be about gags and jokes. No more serious attempts at story. For anyone who had any interest in the other characters though I feel like the 'resolution' we've been handed so far is a mess.

A few years ago Spider-Man did a reboot in which Loki just randomly undid a bunch of stuff and the resolution was essentially, "Hey, some stuff is different and some is the same. Keep reading to figure out what the hell happened". If I recall correctly it was one of the most hated story arcs of all time when it was finalized. And Tim is doing the exact same thing (though on a much smaller, less interesting scale).

I'm sure the comic will continue to thrive, and the main comic should actually improve from here, but I feel that in a lot of ways this is in spite of his attempts at storytelling, not because of them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    ... , I did actually grow to like them and the various storylines.
    I am so sorry to hear that.

I have no feelings one way or another on the storyline ending. I am as apathetic toward it as I had been prior to the controversy, and I have no opinion one way or another on Buckley's gag comics.

However, I am extremely disappointed that Tim Buckley is still producing things and getting money from that website. I hope to hear it shuts down shortly afterward, but I'm too cynical to do more than wish for a better tomorrow.

15. - Top - End - #15

This is the webcomic that never ends
    It miscarriages on and on my friends

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Ctrl-Alt-Del was a webcomic that defined a generation of gamers and has earned a dear place in all of our hearts. It will sorely be missed.

*bursts out laughing*

Okay, I'm sorry, I just couldn't say that with a straight face.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, I now feel like a bad person for enjoying Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Succubus gets grongratulatory cookies from me. You have stepped into the realm of puns that only the likes of Death, Your Friend the Reaper have seen.

Posting schedule likely to be erratic for the next few weeks - sorting out some personal stuff.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buckley
    Doing a "happily ever after" ending just didn't feel right for the comic strip... it didn't feel right for Ethan, as much as I wanted it to. Ethan has spent the last ten years doing incredibly stupid and dangerous things, with very little consequence. The end of him had to be, ultimately, a result of his own doing. And this was the grandest way possible I could think for that to happen.
    Self-awareness. Huh.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

For the most part CAD itself is harmless and bland, and you shouldn't feel bad for liking it. Most of the vitriol directed at it is because Tim Buckley is by all accounts a pretty terrible person.

Despite being mostly harmless however, the comic has had some pretty serious problems in the past including racism and sexism, even ignoring meta-issues like plagiarized character designs.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, anyone up for some good old-fashioned "Ding dong, the witch is dead!" rejoicing?
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    So, anyone up for some good old-fashioned "Ding dong, the witch is dead!" rejoicing?
    That is a very odd way to type a 'b'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I think the comic could have had a better ending than this. Stupid and irritating though the characters could be at times, I did actually grow to like them and the various storylines.

"Existence ends, everyone dies" is a crap way to say goodbye to characters that people have been following for years. =/
    In fairness I think Ethan successfully shut down the machine, saving both timelines. I kind of liked the ending, but I wasn't a regular reader. I stopped reading a while after the miscarriage arc, not because I had a problem with it, but because the strip finally stopped being amusing. But I regularly checked back to see if there was anything interesting going on, so I read the Scott/Penguin arc and this last one. I kinda wished there was more Space Archaeologist stuff, but whatever.

Not really a fan of his gamer characters, but we'll see how the new incarnation goes I guess.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    'Here lies a
    wretched corse, of wretched soul bereft:
    Seek not my name: a plague consume you wicked
    caitiffs left!
    Here lie I, Tim; who, alive, all living men did hate:
    Pass by and curse thy fill, but pass and stay
    not here thy gait.'
    This is pretty much the best possible response. Tim Buckley of Assens is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Self-awareness. Huh.
    Too bad he couldn't have shown that, oh, 10 years ago!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    This is pretty much the best possible response. Tim Buckley of Assens is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays.
    Thanks. I was going to go for Timmy of Asbath but it was a bit too clunky. Assens is much better.

Did you know that Hamlet was a CAD reader? It's true.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-11-23 at 05:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    It's not dead, it's being rebooted to center around the Players. So, no rejoicing.
    Learning Inkscape - An Order of the Stick Guide
    Spoiler
    Show

Some of my Avatarist Awards: (click the award to go to the image!)

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    It's not dead, it's being rebooted to center around the Players. So, no rejoicing.
    Yeah, I bet the Players will allow Timbo to spread his artistic wings and make a good webcomic for a change, free from horrible punchlines and

Ohhhh right

28. - Top - End - #28
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

That's half the point, if you read the essay. Now that Ethan+Lucas are retired, he can go back to using the Players for gaming jokes (that E+L were soaking up) instead of the random gory violence that had become their niche.

Anyway, I'm with the casual minor majority (can't be bothered to count). It was a decent to mediocre webcomic, enough to keep me following but not upset if one was missed, and since I never interacted with the creator, his character or lack thereof isn't an issue (and really, if the comic deserved the sheer volume of its haterate, there'd be more material to snark than the miscarriage arc).
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-23 at 07:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikialev View Post
    Yeah, I bet the Players will allow Timbo to spread his artistic wings and make a good webcomic for a change, free from horrible punchlines and

Ohhhh right
    I dunno, this lot seems a lot more sympathetic and relatable than the usual cast of protagonists.
    Quick link for Forum Emblem Rules

Megaman 9: Mr. Perfect Challenge
    I DID IT!!! I FINALLY DID IT!!!

Megaman 10: Mr. Perfect Challenge
    I DID... Ya know what? It's not nearly as hard as 9 was...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow. The hate...

I love CAD. It and 8bit Theatre and Bob and George were my first webcomics, and I've been reading CAD regularly since , maybe year 2? My wife and I found out we both read it while dating, and in fact told people we met on their forums and found out we were local to each other (it was actually a more adult related group we met through, people don't need to know that about our personal lives)

I thought that many of his "story" story lines, including the miscarriage one, were very realistic. He brought real world scenarios, and let his characters react to him. The writing is relevant and thought provoking. I do miss the gag a day format, so part of me looks forward to the Players coming to the fore, but I will be more interested in the issue comics with the main group and storylines.
    Last edited by leakingpen; 2012-11-23 at 08:08 PM.
    Hey everyone! Dyluth and I have a new project coming up, a steam/diesel punk webcomic. Please take a look!

Self published writer, editor, publisher.

Pinch Writer for the long running OOTS fan comic, anti-Heroes

Hope to be a writer? read this. http://www.writing.com/main/view_ite...3-Show-Vs-Tell