Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 168
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    "The sky is vast, and beneath it, the earth. Such is the truth from times long ago, and in present, and in times long from now. But this story starts in the past, as all true stories must, and it is the tale of the 4 warriors, ancient and wise, who took on the shapes of beasts and fought in the stars." Beginning of a Msitu Mkaazi tribal origin story.

    The jungle is large, and hard to move through. The men and women chasing you, though, seem to have no problem with it. They wear Msitu masks, and though most of them are human, they jump from tree to tree in a way that suggests the supernatural.

    Tree-shaker: You seem to have no problem outrunning most of them, save one man. A Dwarf, his skin pale as a ghost from time spent underground, pops from tree trunk to tree branch and back again like gazelle leaps across flat ground. Also, unlike the others, he seems to carry no weapon. You would turn and attack him, but the last time you tried, he moved so swiftly he became a blur, and gave you a nasty crack on the head. Better to hope for some opportune circumstance. Or so you have thought up until now.

    Calamvir: You have taken the most ignoble insult a dragon should ever have to suffer. They caught you unawares and threw these satchels of gunk at you. A quick reaction mean that your legs were not caught, but your wings were stuck together, and have been for a while now. You feel that the crud has begun to harden, and then crack under your wing muscles. Any second now, you should be able to fly, and gain the advantage on this pitiful group of mortals. But for now, their mobility and seemingly perfect skill at their spearwork keeps you smashing through the forest. It really is quite shameful.

    Gwylan: They can see you. That was the first thought when you saw their heads turn from across the clearing, something shiny flashing behind the holes of the masks. That they pointed at you after they saw you made you want to run. The brandished crossbows made you want to run faster. The hematite crossbow bolt thudding into the bark of the massive tree next to you made you fly faster than you ever had before. But they chased after you, and you were more focused on fleeing the deadly Cold Iron than you were with attacking back.

    Tak: They can't see you. Yet. Oh, they were prepared to fight you, with spears that they wielded with skill. But they didn't expect you to run. And now, in a tree above a babbling brook, you calm your heartbeat and watch them come closer, and closer. Soon now, one of them will find you. This is not the ideal place to hide. You let your telepathy take over, to sense when they come near enough for you to strike...

    Sy'Aldreth: You are quite interested in a peculiar specimen of insectoid creature in a tree across the stream, hiding from some more of those goons you killed earlier. They were prepared for the gas, but not the spines. Didn't do their research properly, tut tut. It seemed that whatever this thing across the river was, these people wanted it dead. And that was enough, for the moment at least, for you to take an interest.

    Blue: You would have killed them. You could have ended them easily. But that big elf up front had something around his neck. It made your head hurt and the space between your ears go all fuzzy. So you ran, checking yourself as you nearly tripped and slipped over seemingly a million different obstacles. You ran long after you thought you'd lost them, finally splashing down in a stream of some sort. Nervously, listening for sound of pursuit, you wade down it hoping to find civilization.
    Last edited by Conor77; 2012-11-26 at 05:05 AM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rhyvurg's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Blue moves quickly, faster than most humans despite his small size. They'd pay, they'd all pay! Damn that elf and his...whatever that was. He dismisses his mindblade, it's glow would only help them find him sooner. But Blue was skilled in all manner of things, arts both martial and mental. They would regret attacking him, yes they would. He pauses to roll in the mud, hiding the metallic shine of his armor.
    Ten point three-four-two cubic inches of soup.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Draken's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Southern Wildlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Ah, mortal men, so scared of what is stronger than they are, so eager to take arms against their fears, they sometimes should know better.

    But still, they seemed quite prepared. These ones also seem quite prepared for their intended prey, and what prey it is, perhaps you will stalk it yourself afterwards, yesss...

    Sy'Aldreth looks for a bush or small tree (a low obstacle that can grant cover) and takes root behind it, the river will be quite useful he thinks.

    Once he is set, his first volley flies out against the Msitu hunters. His bias showing, he targets any men first.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably free rounds until I reveal myself and even then, a forest with a high dex character is place where you get all the tricks to use.

    Cover and rooting increases Sy'Aldreth's AC by +6, to 27.

    Cover also allows him to hide immediately after firing! Except... He would do that roll at -15 modifier. So lets not even bother trying.

    Spine volley! Range increment of 80 feet, so apply the proper penalties if they are further away than that distance. Sy'Aldreth will focus one target down and move to the next when it dies.

    Attack 1: (1d20+14)[15] Damage: (1d8+4)[5] + (3d6)[14]
    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[19] Damage: (1d8+4)[6] + (3d6)[11]
    Attack 3: (1d20+14)[20] Damage: (1d8+4)[5] + (3d6)[13]

    Possible crit confirmations (double damage)!

    Attack 1: (1d20+14)[24]
    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[28]
    Attack 3: (1d20+14)[16]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

    Homebrewing

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Tree-shaker growls to himself and keeps running. Very unfortunate, fast dwarf would probably dodge most magic. Find water, break in trees so dwarf forced down.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Using knowledge, nature & survival to figure out which way to a nearby creek/river area. I'm assuming the dwarf is a monk with Evasion, and most of my spells are Reflex saves.
    Knowledge, Nature(1d20+12)[20]
    Survival (1d20+13)[32]

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Gwylan scowled as she flitted from tree to tree. Whoever these humans were, they were ready for her... They must have taken note of that little incident at the bridge... Silly humans, can't take a joke... It's not MY fault they couldn't fly.

    She keeps moving, trusting her superior speed to keep her away from her pursuers... As she moves, she calls upon her fey powers to slow her pursuers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gwylan will move 60 feet away, pausing when trees block her pursuer's view if her, using fly by attack to use her Entangle SLA behind her, hoping to catch the crossbowmen in the area. She'll then continue away, at best speed.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A chaos corrupted planet
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Calamvir hisses, angered by the humans essentially clipping him. He'd come here in search of a story, well, looks like he got one. Hulking about he slides around the mud and dirt, smacking into tries as he strains to free his wings. He was a dragon damnit! He wasn't going to be taken down by some savages. Trning his head back he lets his Thuum loose, the most common one Black Dragons used "Withering Breathe" or Acid as the humans called it. It streamed forward, like a deadly spray of death, and he aimed it to hit as many of the hunters as possible. The sound of it shook the leaves and grass around him, the words innately powerful in and of themselves. Retracting backwards he continues to run, scampering about in the hopes of finding a river or some lizards for him to hide/charm.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Acid Breathe Thuum Damage:(7d6)[29]
    Recharge:(1d4)[2]
    Reflex Save DC for half:16

    Search (For rivers or lizards):(1d20+1)[13]
    Strength Check (To free wings):(1d20+4)[6]
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2012-11-26 at 11:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Previous Avatars


    All Spoiler Images made by SmuchSmuch and Emperor Ing and Kasanip

    THE DRAGONS BACK BABY

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Tak hissed softly as she glanced around, looking for a better spot to hide. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to do with the people following her, but she figured if she could get the jump on one, maybe two of them, she'd be okay. She looked around to see if there were any better hiding spots on the ground, so she could charge them.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Maintaining the Hide check
    (1d20+12)[14]

    rolling a search to see if I can find a better spot on the ground to ambush my followers. Or spot, if that's the skill I need.

    (1d20+1)[21] Search
    (1d20+7)[13] Spot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.


  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Blue is marching down the river, armor covered in mud, when he sees/hears three projectiles whistling through the air above him. He flattens himself, and then looks up to see some...thing, apparently launching it's own spines at some target he couldn't see above the banks of the river. He can hear the thud of spines hitting tree trunks, but also shouts of pain. Or at least fear. He also hears, from somewhere, a huge booming voice shout a few words in a strange language, followed by more screaming. This jungle apparently contains more dangerous wildlife than he thought. And more pursuers.

    Sy'Aldreth is grinning. His first spine broke in his hand, but the other two found their mark in the unsuspecting men across the river. He was aiming for the one, but the other tried to shove him out of the way and both of them got hit. Idiots. Both, one human and one dwarf, let out cries of pain as their allies jump from the sudden assault. A female with a bow stares across from where the spines came from and sees the abomination quickly. With practiced stance she draws and fires in a single, fluid motion, as her comrades duck behind trees, tending to the wounded. It doesn't look as though you killed either of them.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[24]


    And, thanks to your roots, merely sticks the arrow into flesh, doing nothing more than superficial damage.

    The jungle calls to Tree-shaker. He will have his river, even if it is only a stream. He leaps and bounds between trees, almost reaching the river before a huge shout nearby makes him turn. He sees some kind of green mist fly into the air a ways upriver, but he doesn't have time to stop. As he splashes down into the creek, he hears the dwarf jump down with him. So he turns. The dwarf's scrawny chest is heaving, his mask slightly askew. He holds his fists high in a typical boxer's stance though, as if his fatigue meant nothing.

    Gwylan's plan was solid, but the execution left something to be desired. The Elven woman up front got smashed in the face by a groping branch, and was soon entangled in the mass of foliage. Both the humans that were with her though, stood aside and took their chance to shoot at the tiny fairy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls borked. Real rolls in OOC. 1 crossbow hit and did 11 damage.

    And one hit. It was somehow the most painful experience the Pixie had ever experienced, and yet also very, very familiar. The Cold Iron went through her, giant crossbow bolt tearing a gash in her side. Where it hit blazed with ice, and her head felt like it was going numb. Limply, she flew around to the other side of the tree, and came face to face with...something. It was big, it had a ton of spikes, and it had just been hit with an arrow. (It couldn't, of course, see her)

    Calamvir's Thu'um did its job, which was of dual purpose. The green mist that flew from his jaws withered plants, fried trees, and made tiny mortals jump backwards with its force. Three of them fell on the ground, overcome by their injuries. Most of the rest hid behind trees. One didn't. The Orc ripped off his mask, and wiped his face and eyes, tears streaming from the caustic assault. Then he looked at Calamvir and with bloodshot eyes said in Draconic, "Come here, Dragon. Fight me not with your words, but your body, for it is that which I mean to destroy"

    Tak would have jumped behind a tree from where she was, except that she saw something across the way start throwing sharp objects at her pursuers. They were distracted. Excellent. One man, apparently badly wounded from how pale he is, is being tended to by a woman who doesn't look like she knows what she's doing. Oh my! She rips the needle out. (very bad idea, even Tak knows that) And then puts her hands over the wound... Oh. It would seem she has a healing magic of some sort. Neither bother to shield their thoughts from the Xenomorph, and you catch glimpses of their emotions. Fear, is evident, as well as excitement. Tak realizes, as she catch snippets, that they were looking for some other monster in these woods when they found you. Something, glittery. Either way, no one is looking at them right now. It is the perfect opportunity...
    Last edited by Conor77; 2012-11-26 at 01:40 PM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rhyvurg's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Blue runs up (literally straight up) the side of the bank, mindblade in hand. "If you are an enemy of the humans, you are a friend of mine! I-ulp!" He stops short when he sees the bug-thing.
    Ten point three-four-two cubic inches of soup.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Gwylan veers to the left as a bolt strikes true, letting out a small whimper. She keeps her head, however, calling upon the powers native to all fey, as she rockets upward into the forest canopy, which expand, thickening and blocking sight from the ground below.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gwylan uses permanent image, creating an illusion of the tree canopy thickening to to block sight. I have proof it's not real, so I disbelieve and see through it, but others should have to interact before getting a save.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-11-26 at 01:56 PM.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A chaos corrupted planet
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Calamvir smiles at the orc, perhaps this wasn't a waste of time? Standing on his haunches Calamvir chortles and says "You have a string heart to stand up against a dragon by yourself. Perhaps your people will remember your futile efforts." He backs up to the nearest tree, rubbing his back against it to further break off the gunk from his wings. In the mean time he needed to keep the Orc distracted while he recuperated his Thuum "So, tell me, aside from the great glory that killing a dragon brings," he drips with sarcasm like it's the acid he breathes "Why did your tribe decide to assault me? I've done you no wrong." After the rubbing he'll go back on all fours and take up a fighting stance, ready to duel the Orc "Let us fight in single combat, Orc, and see who is greater..."
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2012-11-26 at 02:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Previous Avatars


    All Spoiler Images made by SmuchSmuch and Emperor Ing and Kasanip

    THE DRAGONS BACK BABY

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Calamvir:
    The Orc just smiles as his eyes stop watering, showing off his impressive lower canines. "You've done my tribe every wrong I know how to describe. But that is unimportant. Revenge does not motivate me. Nor does it fuel me. Duty does. I have sworn to protect those who cannot protect themselves", he begins. You feel the bile begin to return to your throat. He's providing his own distraction. This just could not be more perfect. "And no one can protect themselves from a dragon. Well, present company excluded of course. Which is of course why I must be the one to destroy you. To protect others". As your Thu'um returns to you, you notice, the tiny sores on his body and discoloration as a result of the acid are, shrinking? He couldn't be healing, could he? He readies up, and just as the acid regenerates fully, he charges at you spear-first.

    Gwylan:
    They take the bait. Or, that is, they can't see through the dense canopy. So they rush up the trunk of the tree, trying to catch a glimpse of you, both reloading. But you are spiraling up in the air, away from them. You reach the actual tree canopy height, and burst through the leaves into a dazzling sunlight. It would take them a while to climb up the trees long enough to realize the extra canopy is an illusion, which you realize looking down on them from above. That being the case, you have some time to look around.

    You see green stretching all around you, which is no surprise. Neither is the sky, which is a radiant blue, only just beginning to show the brightest lights in the starshows. You clutch at your side. Iron that has yet to be worked by man, still full of the burning hatred of the earth when it was first created, is the only kind of weapon that can damage you. But they knew that, and they brought it along. But why? They also had some kind of device to see through invisibility, which meant they were expecting a pixie, not some other fey. You are also smart enough to know that they aren't Msitu. For one thing, they were too pale to be ethnically from the region. For another, they showed a little too much skill in how they wove through the branches. Locals would step around them, but these people used the natural obstacles as braces to propel themselves forward faster. They were also climbing awfully fast. You will just have to deal with them somehow, unless you can just slip away.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Draken's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Southern Wildlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Just remembering, Sy'Aldreth has tremorsense 60' so he always knows when someone walks up to him in that range!


    Sy'Aldreth turns one of his eyes down on the blue, an exasperated expression forming in his face.

    Blue will certainly notice a heavy vine settling on the ground once more, apparently he spoke just fast enough to avoid being mauled.

    "I would not ussse the word friend ssso liberally, goblin."

    One of Sy'Aldreth's hands reaches out for the arrow and pulls it out of the velvet cover of his carapace. There sure is a feisty one with that group.

    The Defiler Vine readies another hail of spines, better shoot them down and hope they survive the wounds than risk it, after all. One spines is aimed at the archer, while the other two are shot towards the fallen hunters.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack rolls, of doooom.

    Attack 1: (1d20+14)[23]. Damage: (1d8+3)[11] + (3d6)[9] acid.
    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[16]. Damage: (1d8+3)[4] + (3d6)[12] acid.
    Attack 3: (1d20+14)[28]. Damage: (1d8+3)[6] + (3d6)[10] acid.

    Crit 1: (1d20+14)[27]
    Crit 2: (1d20+14)[30]
    Crit 3: (1d20+14)[27]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

    Homebrewing

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A chaos corrupted planet
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Calamvir grins as the Orc charges at him, Calamvir unfurls his wings and begins to flap upward, his mouth opening up to release another Thuum, this one more magical in nature, and it weakened everything that it come in contact with "RONAAZ LIIV!" (Ray of Enfeeblement, or Arrow of Wither).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a move action to move 40 feet into the air, or as high as Calamvir can manage.

    Ray of Enfeeblement:
    To Hit:(1d20+11)[13]
    Strength Damage:(1d6+3)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Previous Avatars


    All Spoiler Images made by SmuchSmuch and Emperor Ing and Kasanip

    THE DRAGONS BACK BABY

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rhyvurg's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    "Friends for today at least." Blue turns to face their attackers, summoning his weapon.
    Ten point three-four-two cubic inches of soup.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Calamvir: Your spell hits the man, but glances off him as if it were no more than a ray of light striking a mirror. He runs forward, unheeding of your steady rise, until he gets within about 20 feet, at which point he screams "SMITE-". The tip of the spear shines blue-white, blindingly, like a flare or an open welding flame. "-EVIL" he finishes, as he throws the javelin-spear overhand, into the air towards you. You have barely more than a second to move as it comes towards you.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Note: You are of Good alignment, but the Orc believes that you are an evil dragon, and therefor his Smite attempt is going to increase his attack rolls. Not damage, just attack. It's a small change I make to Smite that makes it useful when you aren't only battling the worst demons from the very depths of hell.

    (1d20+11)[30]
    Potential damage: (1d8+4)[12]


    It strikes true, though the blinding light disappears when it leaves his hands. You feel the point break your scales and the shaft shove it into the region just underneath your ribcage. You didn't know a mortal could throw that hard, especially with a kind of weapon invented millenia ago, and not much advanced since.


    Sy'Aldreth: you grin and unleash a new volley, unheeding of the little muddy goblin. The woman with the bow sees it coming and only has time to widen her eyes before a spine hits her right in the stomach. The other two are safely hidden by trees, not that your spines don't give them reason enough to keep their heads down. The bowwoman gives a gasp of pain, and then another as the acid starts to work. She falls to one knee, but then raises her bow and reaches for another arrow. This one has a tip made of some yellow material. It doesn't look friendly. She grunts in clear Confederate, "F--k You", before loosing the projectile.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+13)[20]


    It too, thunks uselessly against your carapace, as she ducks and tries to roll behind a tree, but ends up stumbling over behind it instead, dripping blood along the ground. You almost resist the urge to laugh. Almost. However, the laughter you feel is cut short too early, because the arrow she used was indeed, not a normal arrow. You feel flames there. You are being set on fire.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Take 1 point of fire damage. Ooooh, spooky, right?
    Last edited by Conor77; 2012-11-26 at 05:00 PM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rhyvurg's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    "I see you..." Blue throws his hand forward, the sheer force of his will rippling the underbrush in an expanding wave in front of him. The water in the stream blasts aside, trees shudder, and the three humans have but moments to try and resist his terrible power before they're hurled into the trees around them.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Full-augment telekinetic thrust, Will DC 18 to resist, 375 pound total limit but that should be enough for all of them. He's throwing them straight up, a total of 60 feet if they don't hit something. If they go all the way up, they take damage when they land:

    If they hit something on the way up:
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[2]

    Also, they may take damage from falling back down. If they all go the full 60 straight up, they take this falling damage instead:

    (6d6)[32]
    (6d6)[21]
    (6d6)[17]

    Ten point three-four-two cubic inches of soup.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Draken's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Southern Wildlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Oh the pain, the horrid, horrid, burning pain.

    No, wait, Sy'Aldreth's roots draw nutrients from the ground, healing the tiny little burn mark as quickly as it happens. He's ok.

    "My, oh, my. And here I wasss thinking you were not interesssted... Maybe I will take the invitation, dear."

    He reaches out for the arrow with one hand and rises to his full height, clearing his throat and singing a hypnotic tune.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Captivating Song. DC 18 to resist.

    Everyone within 100 feet would have to do the save, or start moving towards Sy'Aldreth to the exclusion of any other action. Anyone within 60 feet takes a -2 penalty to this save (which includes Blue, for the record, but I am sure he can resist the allure of tentacle siren man).
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

    Homebrewing

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Blue: The only person you manage to effect is one of the healers, a dwarf woman, who flies up, halfway up the canopy, before falling back down and breaking her neck. She is dead.

    EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright everyone, make a Will save. That is, Blue, Tak, and every enemy on the other side of the creek needs to make a Will save. No one else needs to, I don't think. Unless I missed someone who's closer than I thought.
    Last edited by Conor77; 2012-11-26 at 05:35 PM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A chaos corrupted planet
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Calamvir hisses as the spear lodges into him, he groans as he releases another Thuum, this one en wrapping him and allowing his wounds to close up and become reinvigorated "Kodaav Rii". Even so he continues to go upward and try to grab a hold of a tree, staring down at the Orc with disdain. This was no longer amusing. To further this he rips the spear free of it's closed wound and snaps it in half, throwing the shattered pieces away.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving up to the top of the tree line, grabbing ahold of the biggest branch he can.

    Casting Bears Endurance, giving him +4 to Con so his HP increases by 14 and his AC increases by 2.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Previous Avatars


    All Spoiler Images made by SmuchSmuch and Emperor Ing and Kasanip

    THE DRAGONS BACK BABY

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Gwylan smiles at the predictable mortals, and dives, eager to show them a trick not common to her kind...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dive 30 feet, closing to within 35 feet.
    SLA: shatter, targeting the crossbow on the back of the closest. If unattended, destroyed, no save. If attended, will DC 19 negates, but if it fails, creature must make fort dc 19 or be dazed for a round.

    After turn back around, going 45 feet up with the remainder of my movement.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Gwylan: You go into a dive, and sail down behind the man who was climbing up the nearest trunk. With a word and a wink, you place your will upon it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[4]


    The crossbow breaks into a thousand pieces, cord snapping forward and clipping the climbing man in the back of the head. He is so surprised by the maneuver that he is stunned, falling off the trunk of the tree, collapsing to the ground heavily. The woman gives a shout as she looks over, and then un-slings the crossbow. She tries to take aim before you get back above the canopy... but fails, as you swish through your illusory leaves.
    Last edited by Conor77; 2012-11-26 at 06:47 PM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Tree-shaker gives a fanged, feral grin as the dwarf lands on the wet ground of the creekbank. "Stone man, have mud!" The area around the dwarf turns from wet ground into thick, gloppy, sticky mud instantly, and the dwarfs legs begin sinking in.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Soften Earth & Stone, under & around the dwarf, and between him and Tree-shaker and him and upstream. I can effect 7 10' squares (28 tiles).

    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sof...thAndStone.htm

    The creekbank is probably wet and soft, so it may turn into some really nasty mud that could be as high as the dwarf's head (4').
    Reflex save DC 18 to avoid being caught for (1d2)[2] rounds. If he saves, he can only move half speed.


    "Why chase me, I do nothing to you. Nature says I'm right." Jumping to the other side of the stream, Tree-shaker heads into the woods and upstream as far as he can without losing sight of mud-covered dwarf... then turns and raises a hand, closing his fist and bringing it down to the ground in a punching motion that's echoed by the earsplitting crack of thunder.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Posting a second round of actions to keep things moving along at this very fast pace. First round was cast & move. Second round (full round action) is Call Lightning.
    Damage: (3d6)[9] Reflex save DC 19 to avoid, and I bet the dwarf gets a penalty for being wet and covered in mud.
    I have 6 lightning bolts remaining, and 7 minutes minus 1 round to spend them, each as a standard action.

    Tree-shaker runs upstream through the trees to see if he can figure out what is going on.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Gwylan giggles from above, her voice ringing out through the area...

    " You should not be here, youngling. This forest is not yours, and you have not the wits to last here... Run home... And you should really hold on to the trees!"

    With that, Gwylan dives again, this time focusing her mischief on the elf's footing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    dive down, 40 feet, and Shatter the branch that the remaining elf stands on.

    After, move 40 feet back up.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    The eerie plant-song rings through the forest, far and wide. It's magical effect may only effect those within 100 feet, but for about half-a-mile's distance it can still be heard, ringing from rocks and trees. Its direction is evident throughout listening range.

    Tak, oblivious to the danger once posed to her, crawls out of her tree, downwards, and begins to cross the river. She is joined by the ones who were hunting her earlier, for they are mesmerized as well. Though her queen howls into her mind, she is heedless to all but the song of the strange one in front of her.

    Sy'Aldreth is pleased with the results, even as the goblin next to him plants himself in the grass and stares, cross-legged. A good 4 of the 7 warriors remaining were clambering over stones in the river to get to him, and one of those was the last healer, leaving the wounded with no care. The only one who resist your siren call are the archer (annoyingly), the wounded human male, and one other person who hid behind a tree at your first volley, that you have not identified.

    Calamvir finds a good steady limb, and crunches it's base underneath his claws. The spear is smashed, so the Orc demands one from another. Reluctantly, the Orcish woman hands her spear over, and he readies it in his grasp, snarling at the dragon higher than his reach.

    Gwylan dives beneath the trees, only to find that the Elvish woman has a Readied Action to shoot with the crossbow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[25]
    (1d8+1)[3]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d20+8)[12]


    Her eyes widen, but she cannot dip up fast enough to avoid being hit by the special bolt. This one, too only grazes her, though it causes a lot of ice damage. Her vision blacks out for a moment, and she finds herself flying crooked. The woman below calls back "Hah! I was born before you were, 'old wise pixie', and the Long-thought has been good to me!". She begins to set another bolt in the bow, but is stopped by a creaking in the branch below. It snaps, sending her tumbling earthward. Her compatriot is just getting up, rubbing his neck and counting his broken ribs, when she falls to the ground. She falls farther than he did though, and takes more damage. It appears as though her back is broken, her mask fallen sideways across her head. Her companion, his mask lying broken on the ground some ways away, suddenly looks upward. Somewhere in and among the leaves, there is a Pixie, and somewhere, it is probably planning mischief. He gives one hop, and then another hop, and then sprints into the distance, calling "MARTHA, MAAAAARTHAAAAA!" as loudly as he can.

    Meanwhile, Treeshaker tries to deal with a jumpy dwarf.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Mud Ref. Save: (1d20+11)[14]
    Lightning ref. Save: (1d20+11)[27]


    The man is caught by surprise as the muddy riverbed suddenly grows even muddier, his feet being swallowed rapidly. Despite this, as a summoned lightning bolt shoots downwards, he somehow leans backwards and jumps, out of the water, just as the lightning bolt touches the water where he was, spreading through it. Though closely, he takes no damage. He starts to wade through the deep mud towards Tree-shaker, ever implacable.
    Last edited by Conor77; 2012-11-27 at 12:15 AM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tychris1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A chaos corrupted planet
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Calamvir chortles as he looks at the angry Orc. This wasn't the heroic and amazing duel he had hoped for, but Black Dragons were nothing if not pragmatic. And that spear chucking smiting shenanigan would not he tolerated again. Opening his mouth he roars one last time, 4 balls of acidic force flying forward to smack their way into the Orc as he shouted "Do Dwiim Ahrk Faal Vith!" Each of the orbs striking unneringly in the hope of sending the Orc reeling back enough to properly engage him. From their Calamvir will go up past the tree line, flying free as he surveys the lay of the land around him to better asses what to do next. If nothing else presented itself he would just sneak up on the Orc and try to finish the job.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile: Strikes Unneringly so no need to roll for that

    All 4 Orbs are hitting the Orc, Damage:(4d4+4)[14]
    Spot:(1d20)[19]
    Search:(1d20+1)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Previous Avatars


    All Spoiler Images made by SmuchSmuch and Emperor Ing and Kasanip

    THE DRAGONS BACK BABY

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Tak slid through the water easily, her body able to handle the water with no issue, until she reached the large creature and stared at it. She wasn't sure what it was, or why it was so facinating, but she couldn't help notice it was near and large. Somewhere in her head, she could hear screeching and roaring, as something tried to get her attention back away from the plant creature.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll] 1d20+6[/roll] will save just in case I get one to break free this round, if not, ignore this roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    That's what they all say, then when you go to sleep, bam! Face full of alien wang.


  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Gwylan swoops down quickly, inspecting the corpse for anything useful. The soul seemed to have departed, and the things she would take were certainly nothing that would be of use to the forest.

    After salvaging anything that looks light and useful, she shatters the remaining crossbow, and perks up at the sound of the unearthly song wafting throughout the trees. Wondering if more younglings were about, she travels that direction.

    Spoiler
    Show
    This will likely occupy about 2 rounds of time, gathering and leaving.

    Enroute, she will draw and use her wand of cure light wounds:

    DC 20. If fail, and not a 1, try again. If fail, and a 1, draw 2nd wand and try. Repeat until succeed, or until all wands are unable to be used, or Gwylan is healed to full.

    UMD: (1d20+15)[19]
    UMD: (1d20+15)[22]
    UMD: (1d20+15)[28]

    Cure: (1d8+1)[4]
    Cure: (1d8+1)[2]
    Cure: (1d8+1)[3]

    Edit: 6 hp healed. Close enough.
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-11-27 at 12:33 AM.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

    Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Draken's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Southern Wildlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Sy'Aldreth sings until the googly-eyed masses form a small circle around him, entrnaced by his eldritch voice, he is quite please, and his tentacles twist eagerly about the ground besides Tak and the healer woman. And then he stops, launching two deadly volleys at the three warriors at his feet before they can recover from the hypnotic song.

    "Well, well, well... Ladiesss. Fear not, for I plan you no harm, yesss. There are ssso many more interesssting thingsss we could do together."

    Spoiler
    Show
    The song ends with Sy'Aldreth taking no action to sustain it, and lasts for one more round after he finishes chanting, so he basically gets to act twice before the warriors can recover, this means they are pretty much toast.

    He also gets a whole bunch of AoOs if the healer tries to escape his AMPLE reach, she probably won't escape due to the stand still feat.

    Anyway, attacks.

    Voley 1. One shot per warrior.
    Attack 1: (1d20+14)[26] damage (1d8+4)[7] + (3d6)[11]
    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[27] damage (1d8+4)[10] + (3d6)[15]
    Attack 3: (1d20+14)[25] damage (1d8+4)[9] + (3d6)[15]

    Crit 1: (1d20+14)[28]
    Crit 2: (1d20+14)[17]
    Crit 3: (1d20+14)[25]

    Voley 2. One shot per warrior.
    Attack 1: (1d20+14)[30] damage (1d8+4)[9] + (3d6)[15]
    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[17] damage (1d8+4)[8] + (3d6)[14]
    Attack 3: (1d20+14)[32] damage (1d8+4)[5] + (3d6)[13]

    Crit 1: (1d20+14)[21]
    Crit 2: (1d20+14)[31]
    Crit 3: (1d20+14)[25]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

    Homebrewing

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: !Monsters and Mayhem in Laterr [3.5] IC

    Tree-shaker continues north towards the odd song, using the trees to obscure his passage. As he nears the source of the sound, he heads up a tree and makes himself hard to spot so he can figure out what's going on.

    Knowing that the dwarf will continue pursuing him, he casts Spike Growth along the path he had taken.

    Spoiler
    Show
    70' move, double or triple that if running, and/or 30' climb. Some combination of the two, ending up 15-20' off ground.
    Hide (1d20+5)[11]
    Spike Growth affects one 20' square per level. I can cover 80' back towards the way Tree-shaker came, with 3 20' squares left to the sides.
    Any creature moving on foot into or through the spellís area takes 1d4 points of piercing damage for each 5 feet of movement through the spiked area.

    Any creature that takes damage from this spell must also succeed on a Reflex save or suffer injuries to its feet and legs that slow its land speed by one-half.

    Reflex Save DC is 18.
    Last edited by J-H; 2012-11-27 at 08:11 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •