New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default How to build a blind man?

I am wondering if any viable way to build a blind man besides just doing blind sight/blind fight?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: How to build a blind man?

Find a way to give them blindsense/blindsight, or tremorsense. Or give them a bow with seeking on it.
    Last edited by LTwerewolf; 2012-11-29 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Here are some of the earliest ways to get various obscure senses:

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3090.0

Also, there are some items that give you non-eye based sight methods (mentioned in that link).
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-11-29 at 02:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Blindsight is the best way, but most ways of getting it give you very short range and it's based on one of your other senses (e.g. hearing) that can be shut down or confused.

Psionics has several alternative options. Synesthete for instance is available at first level and lets you see with your skin. This method has the same range as normal vision would. There's also Touchsight, which is nearly as effective as Blindsight but has a very large base range, and you can make it even larger. Finally, there are multiple ways to get telepathy onto a psionic character, opening you up for Mindsight.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

most blind people seem to have somewhat better than average senses to compensate for their in ability to see, they hear better than most of us since the rely on it to help determine some of their surroundings, max out your listen skill, maybe have your dm give you a few extra points in it for being blind, if your really trying to play on the flaw see if your dm would let you roll a listen check with your initiative to determine where your enemies are, maybe at a penalty when combat first starts, and with a bonus from second round on..just a thought..
    "And I looked upon the Thing and I wept tears of blood, for I knew my land, my people, my very world was dead.”
    —Ancient scroll recovered from the Valley of Death

“Too long have we reveled in our wickedness, too long have we sampled the forbidden—now the gods shun us, sealing the gates to heaven and leaving us lost among the dead.”

Both qoutes from WOTC The Elder Evils

Awesome avatar by Kymme...thanx alot

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A high listen modifier is usually just as good as blindsense/tremorsense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...m#invisibility), but not as good as blind sight. Without blind sight you do still need blind fight. I don't know a way around that unless you rely on area spells or other non-precisely-targeted effects.

You can tip the odds in your favor by carrying fog effects such as smoke sticks or an eversmoking bottle (continuous cloud so there's no activation time, DMG). Then your enemy is blind too but you built around it and he didn't.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

The feat method is this chain:

Blind-Fight
    Blindsight 5-foot Radius
    Hear The Unseen
    Wild Talent
    Focused Perception

Yes, if you were arbitrarily given all of those feats... you would still suck at seeing stuff without sight, for the most part... blah...

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Without blind sight you do still need blind fight. I don't know a way around that unless you rely on area spells or other non-precisely-targeted effects.
    Both of the psionic options I presented remove your miss chance completely, and therefore you wouldn't need blind fight.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

If you actually want to leave them blind, though, without any alternate sense to make up for the lack of sight ,there are a few functional builds out there. The most obvious would be to go with a summoner who uses proxies to do the fighting for them.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #10

So either way am going to end up with a huge handicap.....What if we did a bard/blind sense and every time he sings, he gets echolocation

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

A devining wizard/sorceror would be able to contribute. I had an NPC that I thought was really cool because she couldn't see. She relied on scrying her own location, as well as using Prying eyes, and a bunch of other tricks.

Then the PCs bought some spells from a temple, and ruined my fun.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
    So either way am going to end up with a huge handicap.....
    ...Am I even posting?

Be a Psion. Outside of combat, your psicrystal can tell everything that's going on, even if you're Helen Keller. (The link is true speech, not mere empathy/feelings as familiars convey.) When a fight starts or is about to start, manifest Synesthete; now you can see just fine.

Later, get Touchsight... or enter Crystal Master for a permanent, undispellable version.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy