New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5][DMM persist] Help needed - build advice.

Hello.

I wanted to build a DMM persist cleric for a regular D&D 3.5 game. The plan is to buff the party with spells like mass bearīs endurance, mass lesser vigor and other good stuff to ensure party survival.

Allowed sources: All the completes ( complete divine, complete warrior, etc. ) and unearthed arcana, as well as tome of battle.

So, AFAIK this excludes nightsticks ( Libris Mortis ).

How Do I go best about this? Is it really worth it without nightsticks?

My thinking so far:

Human Paragon 1 / Cleric 3 / Human Paragon +2 / Radiant Servant of Pelor X

This hits my spellcasting for a level, but allows me more feats, so I can have enough turning attempts and persist metamagic by level 5 - and have enough turn attempts by level 6 for two persisted spells. Might be worth to take a flaw from unearthed arcana, so itīd be up and ready to go by level 3, but itīs not a necessity, because the good party buff spells come at later levels.

I canīt find a class that grants me a rebuke pool without being evil and itīs a mostly good aligned party, so I figured I might as well go radiant servant.

Also, I figured that a converted cleric from obad hai ( neutral ) could probably rebuke undead, but would probably loose that rebuke pool and exchange it for a turn undead pool as soon as he started revering Pelor. I canīt really find anything on that matter and I donīt want to try any ridiculous attonement shananigans just for the sake of the rebuke undead pool.

So, any helpful input would be most appreciated. I know the limitations in sources are pretty steep, but thatīs what I got to live with. :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5][DMM persist] Help needed - build advice.

DMM Persist really works best when you have more than one turning pool. With the sources you listed, I don't know that it is possible to help you. You are really looking for Death Delver, a PrC from Heroes of Horror (minimum entry at ECL 6), which grants rebuke and can be good. Does not advance cleric casting, but it gives you the rebuke pool that you really really need
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DMM persist does not need to go off that early, mainly because there are very few good targets for its capabilities. Only once mass lesser vigor is available does it become unconditionally practical.

If you have access to the magic item compendium, get the reliquary holy symbol, 1k for +3 turn undead attempts, given you meet all the prereqs (which you should)

Also, with a limited turn undead pool, make sure you select actual good spells to persist, while mass X's Y may seem nice, other effects may be more beneficial to the party.
    Last edited by Xervous; 2012-12-06 at 07:41 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Death Delver... noted.

Thanks for the info. At least you saved me another dozen hours scouring the available material for possibilities.

@ Xervus: Thanks. The item passed by my radar. Noted. Combined with eagleīs splendor it just might net me another persisted spell. :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a note, eagle's splendor won't stack with a permanent + Cha item. Use one or the other.

MIC wasn't on your permitted source list. If it is, great. Any other sources that you care to list?

See the list of stuff (I linked the most updated version I could find).

Cleric 1
    Paladin 4
    Blackguard 3, ecl, command or rebuke only
    Sacred Exorcist 1, ecl 8, Complete Divine, turn only
    Ur-priest 2, ecl 7, Complete Divine, rebuke only
    Divine Mind 4, Complete Divine, class variant (here)
    Dread Necromancer 1, base class, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
    Death Delver 1, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
    Chameleon 3, ecl 8, Races of Destiny, see text
    Master of Radiance 1, ecl 6, Libris Mortin, turn only - unclear whether you gain turning or if it only stacks
    Tenebrous, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic, unlimited use but see text
    Knight of the Raven 3, ecl 7, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
    Apostle of Peace 1, ecl 8, Book of Exalted Deeds
    Soldier of Light 1, ecl 6, Deities and Demigods
    Deadgrim 1, ecl 6, Magic of Eberron - unclear whethero you gain turning or if it only stacks
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-12-06 at 08:01 AM.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks again. Actually, I need to recheck on the MIC to see if it is allowed. I checked it anyway just in case just missed the item. Still, I donīt see the brokenness of it - 2 or 3 turn attempts isnīt something to worry about as a DM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

There's other reasons why a DM might not allow the item. The DM might not have the book or access to it. He or she might be fairly new and want to keep total sources to those they are most familiar with. Allowing MIC for a single item might be opening up the floodgates to other items they perceive as broken. But it never hurts to ask.