New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Death's End IC

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Death's End IC

"I will likely be searching in the direction of Fiorne, regardless." Itching to go, Soryn was hoping to have some alone time, but with the ambush... he would need Marius's approval, otherwise he may face consequences. He had no problem leaving the Guild and going back to the way things were, but he worried about Sey, even if she was more than capable of handling herself. She's still just a crying child to me, he thought. "Letting me go ahead will also allow me to scout the road ahead, so that something like this doesn't happen again."
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2012-12-09 at 02:05 PM.
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia's never been an expert on burials, and she's not entirely familiar with orcish burial traditions. But at Seychelles' comment, she pauses, somewhat irked. "There's nothing wrong with sky burials," she mutters. Out loud she says "We have a job to do," her sentiments echoing Marius' at the moment. "And we need to tell the guild of this. Let's - let's just get these bodies out of the way." She begins moving the bugbear, then the goblins to the side of the road, just out of the way. She helps the others take their weapons. For each one, she gives a few words (Orc, but nothing to be done about that), closes their eyes and crosses their arms over their chest. Sometimes it was the little things.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2012-12-09 at 02:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OhMyGodImOnFire View Post
    "I will likely be searching in the direction of Fiorne, regardless." Itching to go, Soryn was hoping to have some alone time, but with the ambush... he would need Marius's approval, otherwise he may face consequences. He had no problem leaving the Guild and going back to the way things were, but he worried about Sey, even if she was more than capable of handling herself. She's still just a crying child to me, he thought. "Letting me go ahead will also allow me to scout the road ahead, so that something like this doesn't happen again."
    Ben whispers to Soryn: Don't worry, I plan on sneaking out tonight whether it is guild approved or not. I dont like this ambush one bit
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

It is about this point that Lirian, having notices the suspicious lack of commotion, walks back up to the group, still literally licking her wound. Finding herself standing next to Calia, she whispers "What are they arguing about? What happened?"
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia allows her aura to revitalize the clearly wounded catfolk next to her, and her smile is tired when she speaks. "The goblins carry - carried - imperial arms. They had a map too. Arran and Soryn found tracks, on both sides of the bridge. Some want to follow those tracks, some don't. I think we've got a job to do myself."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mnn..." replies Lirian. "Was anyone hurt too badly?"
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia shrugs. "Marius - but he can heal himself. You - I'm dealing with that." She bites her lip and looks away before saying more softly, "One man dead. Four goblins. One bugbear."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Sighing, Soryn concedes. Solitude would have to wait. For now, he walks back to the group, tapping one of the glowing moonstones on his belt, then touching Lirian gently on the wound in her leg. The stone grows dull, and Lirian's wound closes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Healing Lirian: (2d8)[7]
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2012-12-09 at 04:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wah! What ar- you didn't have to do that! I'd be just fine." Lirian rubs the spot where the puncture was. "It was just an arrow wound. You should have saved that."
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

"It isn't a worthwhile effort to start recklessly hunting down assailants alone at this hour. I really would rather not have any more guild members die under my watch. Besides, your job should come first. With some of the horses dead, we will need to walk the rest of the way. The guild leaders would not approve of chasing shadows when night falls." The cleric seems both anxious and determined as he beckons over the two surveyors and the driver from the second wagon. It's obvious that they are all terrified, and not used to such violence. Marius does one last sweep of the site before shepherding them over the bridge and beckoning for the six of you to follow.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-09 at 05:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

"If we're going to be walking the rest of the way, I hardly think an arrow in the leg would have sped things up." Soryn smirks, turning to follow the now on-foot caravan. "Besides, they'll all be recharged by the morrow." Gingerly stepping around all the corpses on the bridge, Soryn makes one last visual sweep of the treeline, using his enhanced vision to make sure that no more surprises will jump out at them.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Nyeh
    Lirian sticks out her tongue at Soryn behind his back, then sets off after Marius.
    I would've been fine...
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seychelles got on the wagon and took the remarkably thick spellbook out. It's nowhere near full, but what spells she had were located within. Running a finger across them, she considered what spells she might need in the coming day -- if they were going to return out and search for those creatures.

And perhaps I will have time to ask questions of whoever calls himself sage at the Guild, she thought to herself.

Casting an eye on the dead horses, her heart gave a little shiver. The poor things, cut down for convenience. And for what? Their deaths did nothing to hamper the group. Senseless. Pointless. The little spark within her flared up. Just proof of their subhuman tendencies, she thought. Still, Seychelles averted her eyes from the corpses.
    Last edited by Lucretia; 2012-12-09 at 04:54 PM.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Avatar from the NSFW webcomic, Go Get a Roomie.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia follows along, on guard once more. She takes position at the left flank of their now-walking group, near the survivors. She still hasn't put away her shield. "I - I'm sorry," she says. And she really is - they should have had people in all the wagons, but they had been lax. This had been an easy mission, to acquaint new guild members with Fiorne branch protocol. There shouldn't have been much danger, at least none that the presence of a few well-armed warriors couldn't have dissuaded. And if anything was going to happen, it would have happened in the mountains, not a scant three miles from one of the largest settlements in Valeria. Reasonable, rational, and utterly foolish. She looks at them again, and decides that she will refrain from saying anything more for now.

Spoiler
    Show

Aura to Senses as soon as everyone is at half health or higher.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

After taking several quick glances up and down the chasm, as well as a few longer looks when nobody was paying particular attention to Ben, he quickens his pace to talk to Marius.

So about our captive. How long do you think it will take for the guild to extract the information we can get from him? I would think that it might be a good idea to send some scouts out as soon as possible to try and track what we can. The goblin might lie until his last breath, and by then it may be too late.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

As he walks with the surveyors and the wagoneer in tow, Marius listens to all of your suggestions. His face is blank now, any previous signs of anxiety having since disappeared.
    "Look, I don't disagree with you. The longer we wait, the colder the trail gets. I want to figure out what is going on as much as you do, but you'll need to talk to Aveline or Caius if you want to track the whereabouts of more goblins." The cleric stops for a moment, his brows furrowing.
    "Speaking of the prisoner, I'll need someone to ride in the last wagon with him and the driver to make sure everything goes smooth. They'll be right behind us." Sure enough, the last working wagon crosses the bridge behind you, the wheels clattering and leaving behind trails of blood as it heads towards Fiorne.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-09 at 05:47 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

I volunteer. I will have my handcrossbow ready in the back. Actually, anyone with a bow should be in a wagon so they can focus on looking out instead of walking.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground

Arran takes point, walking slightly ahead of the group with his bow in hand. "I can handle walking and looking at the same time."
    Last edited by esorscher; 2012-12-09 at 06:29 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good idea," Soryn says, climbing aboard the wagon. He waits for Ben to join him - with scouting ahead by himself no longer a possibility, he was intrigued by the idea of some off-the-books scouting, and the isolation of the wagon from the rest of the party was the perfect opportunity.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Lirian falls in step next to the wagon. With a quick spring, she perches herself precariously on the joint between wagon and harness, below where the driver is sitting. She doesn't want to be in the way of the archers, but she also doesn't want to walk.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Without any further ado, your ragged group sets forward to Fiorne. Arran takes up the front, with Marius and the other three non-combatants making up the heart of the pedestrians. To the left, Calia strides whistling a jaunty tune. This group is followed up by the last remaining wagon, which carries Ben, Soryn, Seychelles and the goblin prisoner, who glares at the trio as they count the pieces of armor and weapons torn from its dead compatriots. Finally, Lirian walks alongside the wagon itself, her cat eyes narrowed and staring out into the wilderness, revealing nothing. The walk is long, the air biting. The landscape darkens as the last rays of the sun disappear: your shadows grow long and distorted on the gravel of a dead empire.

As watchful as some of you are, none of you seem to notice anything untoward about your surroundings and your trip passes without incident. Ahead of you is the outer wall of Fiorne - also known as the Hill of the Three Pines. Stone bricks and mortar make up the bottommost section of the fortifications, offering a solid foundation for the heavy oaken walls that ring the town. Above you glows the torchlight vigil of what seems to be the beginning of the evening shift. One of the figures seems to have noticed you, as he leans over into the darkness in order to call out to you.
    "Who's down there? Identify yourselves!" Marius stands up straight before walking up and replying.
    "It's Marius! We're members of the Fiorne Adventurer's Guild, just like you. We got ambushed, and we need to get in quickly! I can show you my guild ring if it makes you any more certain of my identity." The figures on top of the wall pause to convene for a moment. A shout is raised, a gate opened. The wagon wheels clatter as they ring against the stone tiles of Fiorne.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-09 at 10:43 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #112

"Let's get back to the Guild and debrief as soon as possible," Arran says, relaxing slightly as they walk through the streets of the city. He slings his bow back over his shoulder where it rests next to his greatsword and quiver of arrows.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

23. - Top - End - #113

Seychelles examined her fingernails for any imperfections, putting the morbid sights out of her mind. Basil sat on her feet again, the hem of the robes sheltering him. Across her lap, the spellbook, with pages of arcane symbols and equations scrawled out. No marginalia here -- there wasn't enough room for such nonsense. She would alter the choices she had made this morning tomorrow -- she hadn't been pleased by the effects of her spells in the assault.

As soon as the others had loaded up the equipment of the goblins and bugbear, Seychelles had quickly tallied the price they were most likely to get. One hundred eighty six gold pieces, and five silver. If they were to partition this yield equally, each individual would obtain thirty one pieces of gold, eight pieces of copper, and there would be two pieces of copper left over. Perhaps one to Arran, and another to Soryn. They had the highest kill count.

And that was going off of seasonal averages for merchants. With some haggling -- Calia could most likely charm the merchants -- the total could be increased. And if the sassone was sold, that would be another one hundred fifty gold pieces -- effectively doubling the yield. But getting the forest gnome to part with a potential poison would be difficult, she predicted.

Still. They were nearly home, and while prestidigitation could clear dirt and grime, there wasn't anything in the world that compared to a proper bath.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Seychelles examined her fingernails for any imperfections, putting the morbid sights out of her mind. Basil sat on her feet again, the hem of the robes sheltering him. Across her lap, the spellbook, with pages of arcane symbols and equations scrawled out. No marginalia here -- there wasn't enough room for such nonsense. She would alter the choices she had made this morning tomorrow -- she hadn't been pleased by the effects of her spells in the assault.

As soon as the others had loaded up the equipment of the goblins and bugbear, Seychelles had quickly tallied the price they were most likely to get. One hundred eighty six gold pieces, and five silver. If they were to partition this yield equally, each individual would obtain thirty one pieces of gold, eight pieces of copper, and there would be two pieces of copper left over. Perhaps one to Arran, and another to Soryn. They had the highest kill count.

And that was going off of seasonal averages for merchants. With some haggling -- Calia could most likely charm the merchants -- the total could be increased. And if the sassone was sold, that would be another one hundred fifty gold pieces -- effectively doubling the yield. But getting the forest gnome to part with a potential poison would be difficult, she predicted.

Still. They were nearly home, and while prestidigitation could clear dirt and grime, there wasn't anything in the world that compared to a proper bath.
    Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, good luck getting me to part with that. This stuff does Con damage on contact. As a rogue, you gotta keep a few extra cards in your sleeve for wet work
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

As the sturdy gates close behind you as you walk into Fiorne. The town itself is quite quaint, mostly little storefronts and compact homes in a fusion of elven-imperial style. Streetlights in the form of torches on poles line the cobble streets, gracing the thoroughfare with a warm glow. Across the town and sticking out above the skyline of rooftops are the tips of the three great pines that give the town its name. If you look hard enough, you can also see the dome of the local temple to the Twelve Divinities. Fiorne is quiet now, the majority of its citizens having since retired for the evening. As you pass, you see the road sign marking the gate you just passed through as the 'Thorn Gate', one of the three main entrances into the walled community. Marius is busy settling the last two horses from the caravan at the town stable near said gate - you also take note of him and the driver talking in low tones to the two surveyors, who promptly thank you and rush off. The cleric walks over to the group. His voice is still low, almost conspiratorial."Listen. You all know what happened back there was no accident. Can you follow me for the time being? There's something we need to do before you can go back to guild headquarters." He sets off at a brisk pace, glancing around as if to make sure that no one else notices his passing. Marius doesn't go far, only to the door of one of the open establishments nearby: a tavern called 'the Lucky Copper'. He walks in carefully, closing the door behind him.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2013-08-12 at 07:39 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #116

Arran follows Marius into the tavern.

27. - Top - End - #117

Seychelles glanced at Soryn. She had no intention of following Marius if her elven friend wouldn't be there to shoot people in the face. It was a strategy that had served her well so far in life. If he moved to follow Marius, she would as well.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

To the group prior to Marius' arrival: So I would like to hold onto this herb, as I can use it to make poisons. I know that it could be sold off for a trivial amount of gold, and split amongst the party, but I fancy myself a bit of an amateur poisoner and alchemist. I am willing to forgo my share of the gold from the previous encounter if you guys are willing to let me try and turn this into a poison that we could find useful, as a party, later

and when Marius addresses us: Ah, just what every adventurer wants, a conspiracy plot

Satisfied with the direction things are going, seeing as secret meetings usually involve underhanded deals, Ben waits a moment to seem more conspicuous and heads into the Lucky Copper.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia whistles a few more notes before she answers Ben. "Party?" Her tone seems somewhat doubtful. "I - I don't think we're a team, exactly. At least in Aquinal, they just kind of pull up whoever's available and can do the job. Maybe it's different here. But you can keep the plants, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not really much of an alchemist." She says the last like an admission, with a shake of her head and a small laugh.

Coming back to Fiorne does not feel like coming home, but it feels safer to be inside heavy walls, like a weight has come off her shoulders. She watches Marius bid the surveyors and drivers goodbye, and listens to his somewhat worrying words. "Of course," she replies. She smiles, to put him at ease, and follows the group into the Lucky Copper.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Wary, Soryn slowly approaches The Lucky Copper, hands ready to go for his bow and arrows - indeed, Marius did not seem like the kind of person to divert protocol only to enter a seedy establishment for talks of conspiracy, but one could never be too careful. "Let's go Sey," Soryn says, heading for the door, "if anything happens, get behind me." He realizes that neither Sey would be unable to use either his longsword or his kukri, as her lack of proficiency meant that even if she was given one of these weapons, she might end up doing more harm than good for the rest of the party. We'll have to fix that, Soryn thought, making a mental note.