New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Death's End IC

1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Death's End IC

Taking hold of the eternal wand she possessed, Seychelles followed behind Soryn. Her other hand hovered over the wand of color spray, in case she needed to draw it at a moment's notice. As for the herb, she had already predicted the gnome wouldn't part with it. She filed this assumption in her mind for later dissection.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Avatar from the NSFW webcomic, Go Get a Roomie.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

The interior of the tavern is in many ways a mirror to the town outside. It is a warm and intimate scene, the interplay of midnight shadows and the lights from the lanterns and fireplace casting a mixed glow about you. There are but four other patrons besides yourselves: a dwarf sits by the roaring fire telling a tale, having since entranced two individuals who seem to be local merchants. As you listen, you catch the words "summit", "fiery breath", "steel", and "mercy". The other patron is a cloaked figure, who sits at the bar and faces away from you. Marius stands on a landing behind the bar with a striking figure who you immediately recognize as having elven blood. Together, they beckon you into one of the back rooms of the Lucky Copper. Once the last party member has entered the back room, Marius takes a seat at the table that dominates the antechamber. He nods to the elven maiden, who then goes outside and closes the door behind her. The cleric turns to the six of you, his face drawn and pale.

"Friends, tonight we find ourselves in murky waters. I'm sure many of you suspect that what happened back on the road was no random raid, and I feel the same way. Those goblins were too well equipped, and they were prepared for us. I find myself in an unprecedented circumstance: that is, disobeying the tenets of my guild. By Sirramar, I hope I'm wrong in saying this, but I believe that someone in the guild set that ambush for us. They knew when we would be coming back, and along what road. I... can also guess why they ambushed us. They did it in order to obtain information of a very sensitive sort. Something I know about our assignment that you can't have known. Something that you must not know if this plan is to work." Marius pauses. His breath is ragged now, a slight glow of nervous sweat marking his face.

"You need to go back to the guild headquarters and be debriefed as usual. I will go underground and see if I can't dig up any clues about what is going on from the outside. Tell them that I died, or am going back to track to goblins myself. If it does turn out that someone in the guild ordered the ambush, then it is imperative that it is made clear that you know nothing other than what happened tonight. I'm sorry, but I really am keeping you in the dark for your protection. If the guild finds out what I know, we may not survive for very long. My friend Falleria is the owner of this establishment, and will act as the middleman for any further correspondence. Quickly now, do you have any questions?"
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #123

"Just the one. Why did you tell us that you know something we can't know? That's incredibly rude. Just, for future subterfuge, keep the presence of your secret a secret." Seychelles studied her nails again and waited to see if anyone else had any questions. Whatever Marius knew, he thought it would get her killed if she knew it. That was enough to quell her curiosity.

And, of course, if the Guild did order it, there was always the potential for money to be made, should they offer a reward for Marius' location...
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

"Rude maybe, but I wanted you to at least have some inkling of what I suspect is going on. I would rather be rude and potentially save you than be polite and doom you to an early grave. Besides, would you have believed me if I just accused someone in the Adventurer's Guild of betraying us for no reason?" Marius sighs softly, hand absentmindedly resting on his holy symbol.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2013-07-07 at 03:22 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #125

Sey nodded. "That's fair. It's still hard to believe, though. With any luck, there will be corroborating evidence in the eyes of whosoever asks about your whereabouts. Would you prefer death or tracking the goblins?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

"We will say death, and volunteer to track the goblins ourselves. If we are refused, it might give us some insight into who is behind this supposed betrayal."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #127

That's one interpretation of what we may do, Seychelles thought to herself. "An interesting avenue for moving forward... should we send a few back to start tracking now, so that the trail won't get cold? There may be evidence in the goblins' camp that could narrow our search."

8. - Top - End - #128

"They may expect us all to debrief," Arran says. "But I have no objection."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

9. - Top - End - #129

"My reasoning was this: would we allow a wounded man to attempt to track down a group of well-equipped bandits on his own? I doubt it. It would lend credence to the lie, is my thinking."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

"Even if we plan to track our assailants, we should all return for debriefing first. The guild no doubt has a handle on how many people are expected to arrive with the caravan, and if we're a few heads short..." Even as he says this, Soryn is already gazing at the door, eager to be outdoors again.
    Caution: Deviance Ahead.
    Sarcasm. Sincerity. Nitpick.

11. - Top - End - #131

"Oh wait. Marius, you introduced yourself at the city gate. Loudly."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

The cleric swears under his breath as he realizes the truth of Seychelles' words.
    "Well then, I suppose you'll need to tell the guild that I'm still tracking down the remainder of the goblin force. This won't work nearly as well, because after a while the guild will necessarily send out teams to try and find out what happened to me. This will allow whoever is behind all of this to discover my whereabouts without suspicion. Time is no longer on our side." Marius rises from his stool, the floorboards creaking under the pressure of his boots as he does so.

"What matters now is that you head directly to the guild headquarters to be debriefed. Answer everything truthfully, except for what we have already discussed. You will need to be above suspicion yourselves if you are to operate within the confines of the guild. For now, just go about your business as usual by taking contracts and fulfilling them as though none of this had happened. Keep an eye out, though. If we can figure this out, we may be able to solve everything." Heading to the door, Marius throws it open and nods to the elf. She ushers you back out into the tavern proper, handing Arran an earring and a folded up note before heading into the back room and closing the door.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2013-07-07 at 03:23 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #133

Touched a finger to her temple, Seychelles uttered, "orase." Having given herself the cantrip of detect magic, she focused on the earring Arran had received. Knowing what it was could prove extremely useful -- and, if it didn't prove to be magical at all, then it would only serve to pique her curiosity further.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic. I'mma focus on it for three rounds, since we're presumably going to be walking out of the tavern. Unless Arran is going to stuff it within an inch of metal before I have 18 seconds to look at it?

And while she had to speak the word to cast it, it may not be obvious to those who don't have spellcraft what it is she's doing.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Noting the earring and note, Soryn continues on his way. What someone else receives is none of his business, so long as it does not affect him. He keeps this in mind, however, in case said business does eventually affect him. Besides, he heard Sey mutter "orase" under her breath - though he may not know what it means, or be able to cast the spell himself, but having spent the last dozen years watching her grow, Soryn knew what Sey intended. Curious as ever, he thought, shaking his head in amusement. He waits outside, just beside the door, for Sey to finish what she was doing, and hopefully catching her on the way out.

15. - Top - End - #135

Walking out of the tavern, Seychelles straightened her robes and moved near Soryn. "It's getting a bit chilly," she commented idly, thinking about the aura and what that earring could mean.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia is uncharacteristically somber, if not exactly frowning, through this tale. She stops Marius as he begins to step out the door, grabbing his upper arm. "One of us, at least, should know," she insists. Her eyes are wide with concern. "If something happens - happens to you, we have to know what to look for." Her expression shifts, worry to some sort of grim determination that fits her better than it should. "I know you have no reason to trust us. Any of us. For all you know, one of us was the one who laid the trap. But please... we can't do this in complete ignorance."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Soryn surveyed the town, noting the locations of the various houses and shops. "Indeed, the weather is growing cold," he says. He isn't sure if Sey had found anything, but if she did, she certainly wouldn't be the type to share it in so exposed a location as right outside a tavern. Standing straight, Soryn begins to walk away. "Arran has certainly asserted himself," he comments, not sure if Sey would pick up on his implications. We will have to set up some code, us two.
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2012-12-10 at 06:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Hearing Calia's request, Lirian pokes her way into the conversation. "If I might make a suggestion, write down whatever you know, hide it, and tell one if us where it is. Then go find some mage to erase it from your memory. That way you can truthfully say that you don't know anything if you get caught, but in the situation that it comes to be important, one of us can retrieve it."
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

19. - Top - End - #139

Arran puts the earring in his ear after showing it to the group and Sey inspects in.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2012-12-10 at 05:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

You'll find no questions from me. Secrecy is natural to these kinds of things.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

21. - Top - End - #141

"Certainly he has," she replied in Elven. "I think that is admirable in a man. He is living up to his potential, unlike so many of our race. Do you not approve of him?"

Spoiler
    Show
    You missed a bit of your dialogue, OhMyGodImOnFire, so part of it is in Seychellespeak.

Palatino Linotype is my default setting for 'elven.' That way, if people only want to read my words instead of the fluff in between, they should be able to differentiate between who can and who can't understand her with ease. I believe only Calia can understand Elven, other than Seychelles and Soryn?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Ben, Calia, Lirian: Marius shakes his head forcefully once, then twice at both requests.
    "No, I can't do that. If any of you know, then there is a possibility that the secret might be pried from you or you might let it slip. There is no way I'm going to take that risk. As far as erasing my own memory goes, I wish that were a viable option right now. I'm a little short of being able to cast those kinds of spells myself, and almost all of the mages around here with any actual talent are guild members. Sirramar be good, I will find shelter and the answers I'm looking for. This is not pleasant business, but I wish you well nonetheless. Now go!" The cleric nods at you before turning and closing the door. This is immediately followed by the sliding of metal on wood as Marius bars it from the inside.

Arran: As you slip the small silver stud into your ear, you can hear a faint noise would seem to fall somewhere between music and static. However, it is very swiftly replaced by a distinctly female voice that seems to transcend all other background sounds.
    "Can you hear me? This is Falleria, please speak the command word and then respond if you can hear this. I've written down the instructions for the Tear of Communication, it should all be there."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-10 at 06:02 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Caught off-guard, Soryn takes a moment to remember his elven, and to switch back to his native tongue. I had forgotten that she'd learned my language, he thought, amused. "I would not say I approve of him - it has not been nearly long enough for me to determine whether or not he deserves to be trusted," he replies. Satisfied that he should now be far enough from prying ears, he continues, "it is, however, a curiosity that he of all people had received that earring. Perhaps you had discerned something from it?"
    Last edited by OhMyGodImOnFire; 2012-12-10 at 06:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144

Dropping to a whisper so faint her throat made no vibration, Seychelles answered, "some sort of divination within the earring. Slightly more powerful than what I am capable of at present." In a regular tone, she continued. "It gives me hope that I can find a worthwhile teacher while we're here. My studies have stagnated for far too long. If it hadn't been for those odious bylaws, I would have moved away sooner. But I didn't ask if you trusted him, just if you approved of him. Did you see what he did to the bugbear? I've never seen so much gore. It made up for the dead horses, but only just. I am still sorrowful at their passing, and that we didn't have time enough to create a funeral pyre for them.

"Do you intend to go tracking the goblins down? I would very much like to hear they have been punished accordingly, but traipsing through the forest... well, you remember. It's not something that I would do willingly."

25. - Top - End - #145

Arran opens the parchment and reads silently.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Arran: The light of the lanterns and the distant fire flicker over the paper in your hands, clearly illuminating the words in Imperial Common as you read them. The writing flows over the page in delicate elven script.

I decided to write this down in case you forgot or strayed out of range. What you have in your possession is one of the Tears of Communication. In the days of the Justinian Empire, it allowed imperial scouts to converse over long distances, and will prove invaluable to our purpose. When you activate a tear, for the next minute you can clearly hear any words spoken by anyone within 1 mile who is wearing another tear to which you are attuned. The volume of the speech and the background noise at either end make no difference; whispers will be audible above even the sounds of combat. Obviously, my tear is attuned to yours, but if you find others you will be able to attune them to our current magical frequency. The activation word is 'quietus'. Would you like to try it out?

Spoiler
    Show
    My go to font for something that is written out is usually Book Antiqua. Unfortunately, it is very similar to Soryn/Seychelles' elven. I might change it later, but for now I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-12-10 at 08:55 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Soryn sighs, contemplating. Leaving the trail overnight meant that it would probably the cold the next morning, but to go now, into the forest in the night... he had low-light vision, not night vision. "I will see what Ben has in mind. As for Arran, I will admit - his skills are quite impressive, and indeed, he is good at what he does." With the important stuff out of the way, Soryn begins to walk in the direction of Fiorne's Adventurers' Guild. "What are your plans for the rest of the evening," Soryn asks, switching back to Common so that passersby would not find it strange, "after we have been debriefed?"

28. - Top - End - #148

"A bath!" Sey said, interlacing her fingers behind her and stretching her arms out. "So many days out in the wilderness -- it doesn't matter how clean your hair may objectively be, until you get soap in there, it just feels wrong. Like when you can see underwater without blinking but you still blink -- habit, I suppose. Or preference. If there's any time after dinner and bathing, I'll probably see about perusing the library and then heading off to bed. I'm a city girl. This whole not being in a city for two weeks thing was definitely unenjoyable."

Cracking her neck, she looked over to her elven friend. "Y'know, I might need to inquire as to whether there's a morgue in town or not. I may as well learn the burial customs of this province, so I don't insult everyone again with my 'outdated' views on cremation."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Calia presses her lips together and watches Marius retreat. She is lost in her thoughts for a moment, but Seychelles breaks her out of her trance. "I don't think it's outdated," she says, perhaps a little more emphatically than necessary. "I don't think it's a northern thing, I mean, but in the south we do that. Well, not everyone. But it's not strange."

30. - Top - End - #150

The mage turned and raised an eyebrow at Calia. "Wow, you are... remarkably sneaky. I hadn't realized you were behind us."