New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default The Savage Frontier [IC]

"Trust me, I know a short cut."

Though those weren't exactly the last words of Reyn the caravan master from Everlund they would certainly be fitting to place on his tombstone. That is if he had a tombstone, or even a grave. Harpies aren't known for burying what they don't eat of their victims and Reyn the now late caravan master wasn't in a position to discuss the matter as he stood and let them eat him alive.

The trip from Everlund to Silverymoon usually takes just over two days, depending on how much you want to push your horses. Unwise travelers that seek to shorten the trip by riding hard often find that when trolls wander out from the Silverwood that their mounts are too exhausted to run away fast enough. Taking a slower pace is likewise dangerous as spending more time on the road gives ample time for Orc scouts to report back to their camp and prepare an ambush. Reyn was a clever man and thought he had the problem beat by taking the seldom used right path on a fork that lead closer to the Nether Mountains than most would prefer to travel.

The first days travel had been quiet and while the faded trail through the foothills was lonely that also meant it was safe. It wasn't until the group had camped for the evening when you really began to question the usefulness of Reyn's cleverness. From out in the dark came a sad song of heartbreak and loneliness, the refrains echoing off the rocky hills and inviting you to ease the singer's sorrow, if only for the night. Reyn and two guards were on watch and they were only discovered missing when the other three woke up late for their shift. Reyn was nowhere to be found though three sets of stumbling footprints led east further into the mountains. Leaving only a single man to guard the horses and wagons, the five of you left with the other two guards in search of the missing caravan master. The captivating song found you first.

You're not sure exactly what happened in the darkness but you remember the flap of wings, the stench of rotten meat and the mad cackling of some thing, all accompanied by the song. The guards were taken one at a time and when the song suddenly stopped you found yourself far from your campsite, the wind carrying the echoes of cruel laughter in the moonless night.

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to the Savage Frontier.

The five of you are currently lost in the western foothills of the Nether Mountains. The stars are the only light in the sky and it's well past midnight.

For environmental considerations the land is Rugged Hills. Thankfully it's mid-Summer and the night is chilly but not cold enough to worry about exposure.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2013-02-01 at 10:42 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Frontier

The scraggly Goblin Cleric is startled by the current situation, but because of his background he doesn't want to come to any conclusions until they have absolute proof. That said, this trip is becoming far less than ideal for him, and he needs to take some action. The Goblin says a brief prayer and beams of light come forth from a stone he picked off the ground. He says softly, "Even the smallest object can bring new light to a situation."

With a new source of light, Irun takes a few steps towards the others, providing them with whatever light they need. During this time, he says comforting words and speaks in a calm voice. "Fellow truthseekers, who here has the knowledge we need right now?" Only through order will we get out of this situation in one piece. he thinks to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spells prepared that day(Prepares spells at dawn): The Goblin Cleric has 4 0-level spells prepared, 4 first, and 3 second (including domain spells)

0s: Spark, Light, Create Water, and Detect Magic
    1s: Burning Disarm, Bless, Ray of Sickening, and Shield of Faith
    2s: Status and Silence
    Domain: Disguise Self and Locate Object
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uh-oh" - said Lorest some time after the song stopped, when he was finally able to get his mind together and understand what they have been doing - "uh-oh" - said he again when the goblin turned on the beacon - "we have to get back to camp. Now. Hawkeye," (addressing Gavrid) "you lead."

Lorest was quite sure that horses he commanded to defend the lone guard (and the dogs he commanded to guard the area) are not up to the task of fighting anything supernatural, especially if it has ranged and/or magical capability.
    Last edited by u-b; 2013-01-24 at 11:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Zata nudges his pony forward a bit more, his lame leg strapped down into the saddle to keep it immobile. For a moment he strains to hear the sounds of the songs once more, before shaking his head. "If we find these creatures, we may want to silence their voices to negate their song."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

"We're not likely to be the ones doing the finding. If they want more, they will be back."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fellow Travelers, it seems we have two paths ahead of us. We may either try to find the caravan leader, or try to establish defenses and prepare for the inevitable onslaught. Whatever we do, we should work at it with precision, much like a shortsword made by a master craftsman is more precious than a normal longsword."

The Goblin sits down cross-legged and begins to think about their conundrum, during this time he is focusing on his surroundings, trying to learn whatever he can about the situation. He places his lit stone in the middle of the group and sits back in the shadows a bit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Perception
    (1d20+4)[12]

and Stealth
    (1d20+17)[37]

Last edited by Madara; 2013-01-26 at 01:09 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"Smart of him. The last part, that is." - noted Lorest as goblin left the light and moved into darkness. Lorest did not feel comfortable being amply illuminated, but so far could not think of a way to make it any better, so stepped closer to the glowing stone, turned his back to it and stood there looking outside, trying to be ready to defend himself, and addressed the others. - "That thing took two guys, stopped singing, and left. If anyone thinks there still is our caravan leader... well, good luck, I am not betting on that. I want to get back to the camp, sit inside the wagon, tie my leg to it and wait for dawn. Unless the camp is being eaten, that is. Anyone with me?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

As the others begin to discuss how best to proceed, some shuffling about in the darkness, Gavrid remains both silent and still, first checking himself for any wounds before taking stock of his weapons and equipment.

"Please," he says finally, taking a moment to orient himself with the stars, "the less we all move around, the easier it will be to find our original tracks."

Turning briefly to face the darkness of their surroundings, he quickly realizes that his eyes have adjusted to the light cast by Irun's stone. Taking one long, deliberate step toward towards the center of the group, he turns to address the goblin cleric as crouches down to take the stone in hand. "May I?" he asks.

Assuming Irun does not object, Gavrid then slips the shining rock into the folds of his cloak, and once his elf-blooded eyes have acclimated to the darkness, proceeds to scan the surrounding area for any recognizable landmarks.

Once this search is complete, he removes the stone from his cloak, and holding it low to the ground, begins to search anew, this time for the tracks that would hopefully lead them back to the camp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check to search their surroundings: (d20+15)[26]

Knowledge (Geography) to recognize their surroundings: (d20+7)[20]

Perception check to find their tracks: (d20+15)[28]

Survival check to follow their tracks: (d20+9)[27]
    Last edited by rypt; 2013-01-27 at 09:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

While the night's shadows hide all but Irun's glowing gold eyes the light from the stone keeps interfering with his eyes, unable to fully shift to seeing in the dark. The night keeps its secret from the young truthseeker.

Gavrid has better luck. After waiting a few minutes for his eyes to adjust to the starlight his elven sight can see the ridgeline of the Nether Mountains to the east - though not too far east as the route Reyn choose brought you well into the foothills of the mountains. Though the Sailors Star has passed below the Spine of the World for the evening Corellon's Tears shine bright and the Brow Star among the Cold Crown gives Gavrid his bearings. Your own tracks aren't hard to find and keeping the mountains on your left and the Brow Star behind you Gavrid begins following where the broken grass blades and scuffed dirt lead.

Unfortunately they lead in wide looping circles like someone drawing wheels in the sand without lifting the stick. After walking for close to an hour and following the tracks in three complete turns the campfire is still nowhere in sight, though it might be just beyond the next hill. It might be a trick of the starlight and spell but the Nether Mountains ridgeline appears to have shrunk. A little. If you squeeze your eyes and look at it just right, it does seem like you've moved away from it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Geography (Everyone, no need to roll): If you break from the tracks and travel west you'll eventually cross the Everlund Pass Road, and if you somehow cross over it in the dark without realizing it you'll know you've gone too far when you eventually reach the River Rauvin (about 10 miles away). If you were to break from the tracks and travel due south you'd have roughly 30 miles of foothills to go through before sighting Everlund. To the east is the Nether Mountains, to the north is Silverymoon, another 30 mile trek.

Or you can keep following the tracks (another Survival check needed).
    Last edited by Chambers; 2013-01-27 at 10:50 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorest is helping Gavrid to follow the tracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (aid another): (1d20+7)[25]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Irun finds that its best to leave these tasks to those with the proper skills, but that does not prevent him from providing other services, in this case his advice. "It seems that we have been subject to quite strong magics. You said that the caravan leader is probably already gone. While I prefer to leave no man behind, I think our goal should be to make it to Silverymoon, even if the distance is great. At times like these, it is better to accept loss than to risk what you still have."
    The Goblin talks slowly, trying to show respect towards the lost leader, but also trying to keep a firm hand on the situation, making sure they don't take unnecessary risks.

With his longsword in hand, the Goblin follows behind the others, stowing the light stone in one of his pockets for now.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"If I get it right, that was a harpy... or several harpies - we're in the hills near the mountains, we heard a song and wings flapping, and, after making some circles back our own tracks, we did not cross anyone else's tracks. So, some flying-singing-captivating thing near the mountains. Must ba a harpy. People tell harpies tend to live in marshes, but I think any dificult terrain with free room overhead should do just as well." - Lorest paused for a short time, thinking about something - "So far we've seen no traces of [Name] and [Name] who were with us. Either they were lifted and taken, by which I mean really taken..." - Lorest looks in general direction of mountains - "or we were captivated for additional time of more than half an hour after they were killed. You think these harpies will make a second pass? I doubt it. No idea why we're still alive, but if we are, I think we'll stay this way."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Glancing back at Irun, Gavrid waits for the last bits of dirt to filter through his fingers before rising to his feet with a sigh. "I will concede that we have little chance of saving Reyn. If he and his men are not already dead, they are likely wishing it so. But what of his wagon loaded with trade goods, and the poor soul we left alone to guard it? What of our horses and Lorest's dogs? Would you lay it all at the altar of 'acceptable losses'? Consider that if we are able to recover the wagon and the horses, we should easily make up for any time lost to the effort."

Turning to Lorest, "I wish I could believe that," he says with a humorless chuckle, "but I wouldn't rule out a second pass just yet. Seems to me that they might be thinning our ranks -- trying to separate our group into numbers they can more easily manage."
    Last edited by rypt; 2013-01-29 at 06:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In the event we're just moving on, Survival check to continue tracking: (d20+9)[20]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The Goblin understands the arguments being made, and decides that they should try to negotiate, "I understand material possession and your bonded mounts are of value, perhaps we can agree to find the caravan, but I suggest that we leave it behind and only take living beings and object viewed as valuable. If we do continue with the caravan, we'd just be an easier target than on foot."

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, I'm back
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hmm... I have to see whatever is left of our camp before I participate in this discussion. For now we seem to have agreed to go there, so let's go."

17. - Top - End - #17

Default Re: The Savage Frontier [IC]

Hills of Everlund

Following your own tracks in reverse seems like it should be a popular saying among smug dwarves but none appear in the night to mock you. The footsteps wander over the hills for a few more miles before you get the feeling that you've seen that oddly bent tree before, but now you're approaching it from the north. Finding a familiar landmark at last you climb the next hill and see your campsite below.

The horses are still tethered to the wagon and one of Lorest's dogs wake up and starts bark as you all appear on the hill. The fire has died but Irun's light reaches far enough to make out one of the crates jostling for a moment and then laying still.

Spoiler
    Show
    To be clear, the campsite is undisturbed and is as you left it.

Names!
    - Reyn [Carvan Master] [Missing, presumed dead]
    - Thord [Human Guard] [Missing, presumed dead]
    - Halen [Human Guard] [Missing, presumed dead]

- Staven [Human Guard] [Went searching with you, taken by harpy]
    - Jal [Human Guard] [Went searching with you, taken by harpy]
    - Gilleron [Human Guard] [Remained at campsite, current whereabouts unkown]
    Last edited by Chambers; 2013-02-02 at 09:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorest took three arrows from his quiver and pointed them at the goblin. "Please some more lignt. Three times, just in case." Then he whistled "come all" his animals were suposed to recognize. "Hey, Gilleron! You there?!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Lorest's horses were not tethered to the wagon when he left. In wilderness, Lorest ususlly just commands them to stay. This time when Lorest left the camp he left them defend Gilleron, who could in Lorest's absence leave it that way or command otherwise.

Handle Animal to "come all": (1d20+7)[9] vs DC 10 (if no animal is hurt; DC 12 for those who are)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Gavrid exhales his relief in finding the camp, the wagon and animals seemingly as they left them. But where is Gilleron? At the sight the jostling crate, the forester begins to circle around and away from the rest of the group, slipping quietly in the shadows beyond the light of Irun's stone. Instinct guides one hand to the longbow at his shoulder, the other to a small quiver on his hip as he awaits a response to Lorest's call.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (d20+15)[16]
    Stealth: (d20+10)[13]
    Last edited by rypt; 2013-02-04 at 05:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Everlund Hills Campsite

At Lorest's familiar call both of his hounds start barking and race up the hill towards him, clambering about at his feet and jumping up to greet him. The horses whiny in response and take a few steps towards him but are stopped by their tethers. Gavrid see the crate get pushed aside and Gilleron's head pops up above the boxes and barrels. "Lorest? You're back!" He shouts and knocks crates aside as he scrambles to get up and out of the wagon, an effort made difficult by his refusal to take both hands off the heavy crossbow he's carrying. He manages to get to the ground without falling and waves over you to come over. "What took you so long?" He says and squints to get a better look in the light. "Where's Reyn?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Long gone now - probably dead, along with the others and two that came searching."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Since Gilleron reacted faster than the goblin, Lorest took a moment to pat the dogs - "Good boys. Scary night, eh?" - then put all three arrows back into quiver and went straight past the guy to the horses.

"We were affected by a harpy song short time after we left the camp and it has moved us around for quite some time. Staven and Jal were taken by harpies. Rynn, Thord and Halen still missing. In the end the damn thing just let us live and left. We went back out tracks, but found no bodies. Anyway, I presume anyone taken is, or will be, dead. Unless you want to make a more extensive search during daylight..." - Lorest makes a pause letting Gilleron express his opinion about a more extensive search during daylight - "... the way to go is to finish the journey and notify the heirs. ... Erm, Gilleron, did I tell you not to tether my horses? These are not just pull-your-cart horses, these are warhorses, and well-traied at that. It's not like they are going to run from combat, they gonna fight for you. You coud have hobbled them if there was a reason, but... really, Gilleron?" (patting and un-tethering them both)
    Last edited by u-b; 2013-02-06 at 02:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Everlund Hills Campsite

"Dead? They're all dead?" Gilleron shouts and then cringes at the sound of his own voice. He whirls the crossbow around and points it towards the darkness while pushing his back against the side of the wagon. "Why wait til daylight? Let's leave right now!" He says and lets the crossbow hang to his side as he starts tightening up ropes on the wagon that are already tight. "See, if I hadn't tied them up they might've run off and then you'd be stranded." He forgets the ropes and goes to the dead campfire and kicks even more dirt over it. "Come on, lets get out of here!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"Dead? I think they are, just cannot prove it until the morning." - Lorest just shook the head as this guy apparently did not get it about the horses, then he continued - "To be sure, I am not a big fan of being a moving shiny beacon while not seeing ****, and nights are universally more dangerous even without that complication, but if you are willing to take the risks involved and nobody minds, then sure, let's get ready to roll."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Gavrid steps back toward the rest of the group, leading his horse, Elda, by the reigns. "I'm not sure we should concern ourselves so much with darkness. Irun and I can see well enough by the stars; we can always conceal or extinguish the lights. Hells, for what we know is out there, we'd be better to close our ears than open our eyes." Furrowing his brow, the forester seems suddenly taken by an idea. "Actually..." As his voice trails off, he begins to search along the ground, inspecting various weeds and shrubs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature) to know of any plants that can be ground, chewed, or mixed with water to create a paste: (d20+7)[24]

Knowledge (Geography) to know if any of those plants grow in this area: (d20+7)[20]

Perception to find them: (d20+15)[27]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorest shrugs - "Actually, presence or absence of the lights makes quite a difference. I always camp without any fire when I travel alone or in small groups. At the very least I put the fire down when it darkens so the camp is not easily located from a distance and no one is attacted to investigate it. Never operated wagons in the dark, but then again, I do not see as good as you do." - Lorest took something small wrapped in a scrap of oiled paper from his pocket, unwrapped, broke off a quarter of a small piece of red sealing wax and gave it to Gavrid (10 grams or thereabouts, should be enough for several persons who want to plug their ears), wrapping and putting the rest away - "I thought about it, but do not think that today we are going to need it. Anyway, feel free to be on a safe side."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking up, Gavrid regards Lorest quizzically as the latter begins to describe his campfire procedures. "There isn't a whole lot to operate," he says, shaking his head. "The horses can see just as well as I can. Really, we're all just along for the ride."

He moves to continues his search then, but it is only a moment before he is up again to inspect Lorest's offer. "Hm?" He does not immediately recognize the resinous substance, but as soon as he touches it, he grins knowingly and exhales a short chuckle through his nose. "Thank you. That should do just fine."

Taking the wax in hand, he begins to parcel out smaller portions to each of his companions. "Once we're underway, you can use this to plug your ears. If those harpies decide to make another pass, hopefully this'll give us the edge."

When he gets to Irun, he adds, "keep a light handy, but covered. Use it to signal the group in the event you spot anything suspicious."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Meanwhile, Lorest starts to prepare to depart. He folded his tent and saddled the horses (Amber - military riding saddle, quivers with arrows; Bella - leather barding, pack saddle with camping gear and all other stuff), relocated one of his five sunrods from packs into pocket and decided he's ready to leave and might as well help Gilleron with folding the rest of the camp and preparing the wagon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what type of bridles are prevalent in the region. Lorest nominally uses a hackamore for the horse he's riding (actually employed almost exclusively for stunts; normally Lorest guides the horse with knees and/or voice). He also has an extra hackamore for his second horse, but usually it is left in the packs.