New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: The Art of Roleplaying OR Why I Hate DnD/Pathfinder [Opinion]

I dunno, write a book or something if you've just got so much imagination. Complaining to people on a forum about subjective problems where the very nature of the forum means that those people's average default attitude (TM) will be disagreement seems like a very counterproductive endeavor and will not amount to much more than "look at this box of ****s oh man there aren't any what gives? not me, because clearly there are no ****s here".

You want to do something different, then run the game. Actually, this can best be summed up with a quote from my raiding days:

"You're right, your $14.87 entitles you to play the game how you want. However, the rest of the raid's $356.88 means know your role and quit ****ing up".

Basically, your group is a group, which means you get to operate under a consensus.

[Edit] Incidentally, Mutants and Masterminds is a pretty great system for making inherently flavorful characters with no base "classes" to fall back on, and it even looks a lot like 3.5 to boot. Fun when I played/ran it, though teaching it is like herding cats.
    Last edited by Hyde; 2012-12-13 at 12:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    So you take the worst flavor, slap a Haagen Das label on it, and it suddenly grows quality? I think not, good sir.

Vanilla is strictly better, even if it were not for the variety you get by varying quality of ingredient.

And I am not talking double chocolate fudge chocolate ice cream versus chocolate variation #26 from the same company. I am saying, outright, that you can not get better chocolate ice cream.

/not even joking
    /chocolate makes cheesecake bad too
    Friend, if you do not like chocolate, then it is fair that you do not like chocolate ice cream. But to say that all ice creams are the same is to be grossly misinformed about the nature of ice creams. That you reference a slightly more costly supermarket ice cream with a fak scandinavian name suggests that you know less on the subject than you should.
    I can do a thousand now.

3. - Top - End - #123

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Friend, if you do not like chocolate, then it is fair that you do not like chocolate ice cream. But to say that all ice creams are the same is to be grossly misinformed about the nature of ice creams. That you reference a slightly more costly supermarket ice cream with a fak scandinavian name suggests that you know less on the subject than you should.
    Heck, Ice creams aren't even the same within the same flavor. Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough (or anything else) is wicked good but Braums (might be a regional store? Kind of like Marble slab except without the marble slab) is not so much.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Heck, Ice creams aren't even the same within the same flavor. Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough (or anything else) is wicked good but Braums (might be a regional store? Kind of like Marble slab except without the marble slab) is not so much.
    Marble Slab is in my experience greatly inferior to Coldstone, which is a shame as the local Coldstone is ages away and the local Marble Slab is just downtown. This is primarily a function of the greater amount of smurshing (that's a word now) that they do at Coldstone, the fact that they have real brownies for mix-ins and that they keep the strawberries hydrated rather than half-frozen.

There's plenty of variance between basic chocolate flavours. I'm unsure as to why someone would pollute perfectly good ice cream by putting it on cheesecake. I'm also unsure as to why anyone would willingly eat cheesecake.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

The difference between chocolates is significantly different than the difference between other flavors made by different brands.

If anything, Spuddles, your comments agrees with me more than it disagrees. The label I mentioned was merely a really frakking appropriate example.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

Snowbluff has derailed this thread into the best discussion this forum has had in months, pastiche or not.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Snowbluff has derailed this thread into the best discussion this forum has had in months, pastiche or not.
    It's the same sodding derail this forum does every time someone gets uncomfortable. Honestly, I'm getting sick of it.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest, it's not my fault. I think someone else brought it up. The verbose and comprehensive manner in which I speak may have something to do with it. Thank you anyway.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

9. - Top - End - #129

DrowGirl

To be honest, it's not my fault. I think someone else brought it up. The verbose and comprehensive manner in which I speak may have something to do with it. Thank you anyway.
    Doesn't bother me, the original topic is self-serving and kind of dumb. I have an extensive working knowledge of a number of other cultures that gets tabled because no one else has a clue nor the inclination to care about what I'm talking about. Ice cream is much better.

Anyway, I think we might live in the same area, because my coldstone is balls far away, and the marble slab is down the proverbial and literal road, person who mentioned those things.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't bother me, the original topic is self-serving and kind of dumb. I have an extensive working knowledge of a number of other cultures that gets tabled because no one else has a clue nor the inclination to care about what I'm talking about. Ice cream is much better.
    Yeah, I wasn't going to mention how awful and offensive I found this topic. Chocolate ice cream is strictly better than this topic. That should speak volumes, considering my conniptions.

EDIT: Thiago, Hyde's comment has made me decide to immortalize the conclusion of this thread in my signature. Never has derailment done such a service to this forum.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2012-12-13 at 01:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131

DrowGirl

Yeah, I wasn't going to mention how awful and offensive I found this topic. Chocolate ice cream is strictly better than this topic. That should speak volumes, considering my conniptions.
    Shamelessly sporting Thaigo's complement, and the thread isn't even cold yet. Or I guess it might be with all this Ice cream.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I for one like this derail. It's better than other derails because it's familiar and appeals to many people, but contains anpot of nuance when you delve deeper.

What kind of derail to you prefer, something about pop culture?
    I can do a thousand now.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Thiago, Hyde's comment has made me decide to immortalize the conclusion of this thread in my signature. Never has derailment done such a service to this forum.
    Ice cream, for great justice!

14. - Top - End - #134

DrowGirl

Whatever derail distracts from how soul-crushingly hollow my life is that I can spend it on a forum.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Banned

Whatever derail distracts from how soul-crushingly hollow my life is that I can spend it on a forum.
    Do you need a hug, man? I think you need a hug.
    *hugs*

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    It's the same sodding derail this forum does every time someone gets uncomfortable. Honestly, I'm getting sick of it.
    In all fairness, I've only ever seen this particular derailment used as a way to mock both parties whenever a "which game is objectively better" argument starts up.

Frankly, I think that anyone foolish enough to think that fun can ever be objective deserves to be mocked.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, Spuddles.

Ice cream, for great justice!
    Take off every zig.

Yeah. Distractions are good. /hug

18. - Top - End - #138

DrowGirl

Man I need all the hugs. Thank you.

Everything is just trying to murder me today... it's been pretty awesome. Seriously, it's like... if Final Destination were kind of boring. It's like "oh look out, some guys brake lights down work and he's gonna stop for no reason!" and "man, that tortilla chip is kinda sharp and now you're gonna choke on it!" and "geeze, why did you have to hold up this bank while I'm at it, you jackass? Also, this is Texas and I think like, fifteen of these people have guns, what are you thinking?"

Okay. I may have made that last one up. There was really just another guy making an illegal u-turn into my passenger seat. It was pretty awesome.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Maybe we should give this its own thread... but I think the entire "chocolate vs. vanilla / intrabrand vs. extrabrand" issue becomes moot when the subject of Talenti is raised; because everything they make blows every other brand and flavor out of the water. But technically it's gelato... so, the real question becomes, is gelato considered "non-core" or "third-party?" We'll leave out the "homebrewers" who make their own ice cream, because that would just be silly.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Banned

I was all like "holy crap, they allow guns inside banks in Texas" but thankfully that didn't happen

21. - Top - End - #141

DrowGirl

I was all like "holy crap, they allow guns inside banks in Texas" but thankfully that didn't happen
    Oh sure, as long as you have a CnC permit (kinda pricey). Really the only place you can't take them is a school.

And the kinds of people that get CnCs probably don't care where they can't take them anyway.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    In all fairness, I've only ever seen this particular derailment used as a way to mock both parties whenever a "which game is objectively better" argument starts up.

Frankly, I think that anyone foolish enough to think that fun can ever be objective deserves to be mocked.
    I just don't like it in particular because I hate ice cream.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I just don't like it in particular because I hate ice cream.
    Fair enough.

I like it, but I can't eat it very often because my teeth don't. When I'm in the mood for ice-cream, I say you can't beat a good ice-cream sandwich. A neopolitan ice-cream sandwich.

...... disturbing realization: just as I can't read necropolitan without thinking of ice-cream, it seems I can no longer read neopolitan without thinking of undead......
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly the best thing here would be for ice cream to have stats in DnD, with different bonuses for flavour and higher bonuses for higher quality.

Fruit-flavoured ice creams get better the fresher the fruit, for one. I may prefer high-quality chocolate most of all, but if a store sells ice cream made with fresh fruit, rather than faking it or such, I'll take it over any other flavour any day of the week.

Vanilla is always a good flavour to fall back on, but sadly I've never encountered some that was very much above all other vanilla ice creams.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Vanilla, or real vanilla — there is a difference.

Besides there is Ice Cream and then there is Phish Food.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

26. - Top - End - #146

I think we should all pause for a moment to remember Zaq's sacrifice. His service to the community left him unable to participate in this particular thread.
    *strokes chin*
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I think we should all pause for a moment to remember Zaq's sacrifice. His service to the community left him unable to participate in this particular thread.
    Who? I didn't know J-pop girl bands were masculine.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Who?
    You do remember Zaq, right? Though the famous quote is by Doc Roc.

29. - Top - End - #149

HalflingRogueGuy

He lost the ability to taste ice cream when he wrote the Truenamer's Handbook.

<Moment of Silence>

/moment of silence

At any rate, Kardar233, I'm afraid that you are missing one of man's greatest accomplishments when you abstain from cheesecake. coconut chocolate cheesecake is the best desert I've eaten.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like one, that on a lonesome road
    Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round walks on,
    And turns no more his head;
    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread.
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner -- Samuel Coleridge Taylor

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by White_Drake View Post
    At any rate, Kardar233, I'm afraid that you are missing one of man's greatest accomplishments when you abstain from cheesecake. coconut chocolate cheesecake is the best desert I've eaten.
    I do not mourn my lack of partaking in your cake-facsimile dessert. Especially as I detest coconut.

True cake consists only of chocolate and chocolate-related items. However, honey cake is an honorary cake.
    *strokes chin*
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*