New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

tongue Vampire: Undeath

Vampire Undeath.

... Wow. Just wow. Words cannot describe how I feel right now. This is hilarious and amazing. I don't really want to reward theft by buying the game, but I'm tempted.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vampire: Undeath

Holy plagiarism, batman!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you go to rpg.net and white wolf, you can find several threads about this. What's even more fun is when the creator decided to chime in. He was banned for sockpuppeting and trolling in both cases.
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I...really don't know what to say. Seriously, the author didn't even bother with changing the name.

Is there something to this story that I'm not seeing?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    I...really don't know what to say. Seriously, the author didn't even bother with changing the name.

Is there something to this story that I'm not seeing?
    No. There isn't. Its like he plagiarized Vampire: the Masquerade, and then made an effort to make it worse.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Geostationary View Post
    If you go to rpg.net and white wolf, you can find several threads about this. What's even more fun is when the creator decided to chime in. He was banned for sockpuppeting and trolling in both cases.
    Can you provide links?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

There's a review of it up on RPG.net.

Spoiler
    Show
    The reviewers weren't impressed by anything except Mykal Lakim's sheer gall.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2012-12-14 at 02:27 AM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

From the front page:
    Vampire: Undeath is not a storytelling game.
    Sure.....

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

They mostly just respell the names:

Instead of Caine from the bible like in VtM, they use Kaiyne.

He told RPG.net he would sue them over there comments

They have another game:
    Cthulhu: Mysteries in Darkness
    Spoiler
    Show

is a Conspiratorial Horror/Survival LARP game created by Mykal Lakim and published by Dark Phoenix Publishing. Cthulhu uses the L.I.F.E System and is a part of the G.A.M.E roleplaying series. At its' core is the complete irrelevance of everything in the face of horrors that exist in the universe. Mythological creatures exist causing panic and nightmares and have a severe impact on everything from mortals to other supernatural creatures. One of the greatest elements of Cthulhu is when the minds of characters deteriorate when afforded a glimpse of what exists outside of their percieved reality. Cthulian elements are to be a source of anxiety for existing characters on a subconcious and concious level.

However, they say:
    Spoiler
    Show

Cthulhu is not about H.P. Lovecraft's monster/god/deity Cthulhu, but instead about a collection of monsters which predate human understanding and civilization who allegedly used to walk the earth. In this Corebook you, the player, have the option of adding "Cthulian" elements to your game to add extra elements of conspiracy, mystery and intrigue to bring horror up a notch. Unraveling everything a character knows is only topped by adding something unexpected.

Although, they freaking mention the name in the title.

He says it is a coincidence: "People will find similarities where they want to find similarities"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Cthulian ? I think I lost Sanity just from reading that
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WAIT!!! I think I've got it. This has got to be the biggest trolling in the history of trolling.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2012-12-15 at 11:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Their facebook page is a gold mine of hilarity. Apparently someone called them "the pathfinder of OWoD", but they cannot link to that comment. Almost as if they don't exist. They also have an alleged message from one of their freelance writers. I searched the name, and found the only page facebook gave me. Their listed occupation? A dishwasher at a store. So either this writer doesn't exist, or she does and just happens to think that listing dishwasher as a profession is more dignified than admitting to having worked for DPP. Also based on the dates, this freelance writer first started working at the company 7 years before they graduated high school.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

13. - Top - End - #13

Here are some of the links:
    White Wolf
    One of the RPG.net ones (couldn't find the big one riffing it)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Okay. I am not one to have any claim to being original. My Grimoire of the rift campaign has literally nothing original about it, save for the stupid stuff.

But here's how I can defend my stealing.

1. I don't claim it as my own creation. Ask me where I got the map from and I will flat out tell you "Sengoku Rance".

and

2. I don't try to bloody profit from it. I run these games for free.

This is just...sick. I don't like the crazy patent and copyright laws. Like WOTC patenting "tapping" a card, but this kind of stuff is just..just..UGH! It undermines every argument people try to make about how "Art should be open source and shared not hoarded as licenses."

Stuff like this is actively harming the industry and people's creativity. I can only hope when the lawsuit comes around they lose it.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    Stuff like this is actively harming the industry and people's creativity. I can only hope when the lawsuit comes around they lose it.
    Yeah, if you'd notice, a careful read-through of the threads is less about "stealing is wrong" and more about "just admit that you stole it, we've all done it."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Is it even worth White Wolf's time and lawyer fee's to shut this down. I can't imagine its ever going to make any money ( certainly not enough to publish the oh-so-orginal other games they have in mind)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Is it even worth White Wolf's time and lawyer fee's to shut this down. I can't imagine its ever going to make any money ( certainly not enough to publish the oh-so-orginal other games they have in mind)
    It unfortunately is. With the way that IP law works, if they don't actively defend their property from others making a profit from it, they lose their rights to the copyright. If WotC decided to copy and sell Vampire the Masquerade or Vampire the Requiem, not even changing anything at all, after WW didn't try to stop Vampire:Undeath. WotC could use that as precedent in a court of law, and argue that WW's copyright was invalid. So any attempt by somebody else to profit from your IP must be brought to court by any company that's serious about their property.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Only trademarks have to be so vigorously defended, and Vampire: Undeath doesn't seem to use their trademarks. Copyrights just straight up last, until they hit public domain; given that White Wolf is younger than Mickey Mouse, the latter will happen never.

Vampire: Undeath was pretty funny though, in a terrible way. If you're worried about rewarding theft, just steal the book from them, also XD

Seriously though, I did feel a little uncomfortable tingle at some of the stuff they saw fit to steal. In that sort of "This is how other people see something I like and possibly me" way. But mostly, it was just frickin' hilarious.
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2012-12-15 at 07:59 PM.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I would like to take this time to formally apologize to Monte Cook. At one point in time, I though this was the worst thing that could happen to World of Darkness, and cursed him for creating it.

Now, it looks like I have been proven wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

20. - Top - End - #20

I think the saddest part is that the sockpuppet dude on White Wolf actually uses decent spelling and grammar. Whoever this is, the guy is taking actual time and effort to defend his (her?) poorly disguised copypasta.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    I would like to take this time to formally apologize to Monte Cook. At one point in time, I though this was the worst thing that could happen to World of Darkness, and cursed him for creating it.

Now, it looks like I have been proven wrong.
    Now, that's not fair. If you've ever looked at the New World of Darkness and thought, "What this thing could really use is plot elements taken from Neon Genesis Evangelion and/or RahXephon," then it's worth looking at for the fluff bits.

...I don't even know whether I'm being sarcastic or not there. Sorry.

21. - Top - End - #21

I really want to get this book and put side by side with V:TM and see how much he copied exactly. Is it word for word except with names changed or did he at least try to change it up a little by formatting differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    I really want to get this book and put side by side with V:TM and see how much he copied exactly. Is it word for word except with names changed or did he at least try to change it up a little by formatting differently.
    Same number of bloodlines/families, each family same archetype, etc.

1) Nicolai: necromancers who rule Central America
    Closest match: Tremere?

2) Lyhin: Lyhin are creations, created via Thaumaturgical Ritual using a mixture between Fae blood, raw magic and vampire blood
    Cloest Match:

3) Lilian vampires whom I believe you said resemble Setites and Nosferatu are a Bloodline of "advisors" due to their Dark Gift of Mentalism (the ability to peek into minds and glean information).
    Closest Match: Toreador?

4) Liliiana are succubae.
    Closest Match: ?

5) Daemoni:

6) Cherche: Brujah?

7) Eligiere: Ventrue?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

"One of the more popular legends tells the story of the Biblical Kaiyne. Cursed to be immortal he sets up the first city, Enoch and raises his family."

I'd say that's pretty much word for word. Except for the most hilarious spelling of Cane/Kane/Kain/Cain I've ever seen.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Same number of bloodlines/families, each family same archetype, etc.

1) Nicolai: necromancers who rule Central America
    Closest match: Tremere?
    Giovanni.

2) Lyhin: Lyhin are creations, created via Thaumaturgical Ritual using a mixture between Fae blood, raw magic and vampire blood
    Cloest Match:
    Kiyasid. Actually, the Lyhin are among the best pseudo-original things in there.

3) Lilian vampires whom I believe you said resemble Setites and Nosferatu are a Bloodline of "advisors" due to their Dark Gift of Mentalism (the ability to peek into minds and glean information).
    Closest Match: Toreador?
    Close enough.

4) Liliiana are succubae.
    Closest Match: ?
    Daeva. They're like "teh sexay" vampires.

5) Daemoni:
    Straight-up Tzimisce.

6) Cherche: Brujah?
    Brujah-ish, but again one of the few pseudo-original ideas in there.

7) Eligiere: Ventrue?
    Totally.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geostationary View Post
    One of the RPG.net ones (couldn't find the big one riffing it)
    Found the big one!
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    YESSSSSS! The best one; with comments by the creator no less. He gets banned halfway through.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Which page?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

My favorite part? At one point he claims to have had a copyright going back at least a decade. Of course, US copyright liscenses are open to public perusal. Three guess to pick who and what aren't in the official government database.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

You know, if the guy would just come clean, admit his influences, this might become a decent Pathfinder version of WoD (as Parhfinder is lik 3.5 but different as well).

But the way it is, I feel he might be sued if he tried to get too big.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

You kinda have to admire his confidence ( assuming this isn't a massive troll) he's already planning the Mage, Fae and Shapeshifters books