New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Planet Outrun

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Default Planet Outrun

A delegation of peaceful alien lands on earth bringing terrible news for humans: earth's life cycle is set to its limits, within three months of life on earth will not be sustainable.
    A new international body, the EISC (Earth's international Scientific Community) was quickly established to do targeted researches which eventually confirms the terrible prediction
    The aliens offer to to rescue a small number of humans letting other by their own to find way of salvation.
    Planet Outrun is about a number of humans and their efforts escape the impending disaster

last update ~ read it from the beginning ~ check from the archive

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Planet Outrun

I like the concept, it kind of reminds me of an Arthur C Clarke short story (the name of which alludes me at the moment). And I love that promo image you're using in the thread.

The artwork in the comic itself could use a little work, though. There are some anatomical issues that if fixed could make a world of difference (some are very small issues, such as the elbow bend in panel 2, page 14). But what stands out to me the most is how the foreground art does not always match up very well with the background art (page 14 and the cover are the most notable examples of this from what I could tell). The figures seem to be placed into the backgrounds in the same manner as animation cels. This is pretty common in webcomics, but it needs to be a little more seamless. It's mainly an issue with the color tones not matching, and some of the line width around the figures are often too bold, or too thin.

In any case, it seems very interesting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Planet Outrun

Quote Originally Posted by AndToBeLoved View Post
    I like the concept, it kind of reminds me of an Arthur C Clarke short story (the name of which alludes me at the moment).
    Clarke and P.K.**** are some of my favourite authors, so I guess this mean I am deeply influenced by those legendary writers... well, guess I've no enough skill to honour their works, but it's anyway nice to see, at least, that's enough to shine through what I do like to read.

And I love that promo image you're using in the thread.
    Thanks, that's was what make like with mypaint software: it's brushes are way too much cool (combined with bleeding effect). Only the circle is made in gimp... everything else only with manual smooth and blending. I <3 mypaint app.

The artwork in the comic itself could use a little work, though. There are some anatomical issues that if fixed could make a world of difference (some are very small issues, such as the elbow bend in panel 2, page 14). But what stands out to me the most is how the foreground art does not always match up very well with the background art (page 14 and the cover are the most notable examples of this from what I could tell). The figures seem to be placed into the backgrounds in the same manner as animation cels. This is pretty common in webcomics, but it needs to be a little more seamless. It's mainly an issue with the color tones not matching, and some of the line width around the figures are often too bold, or too thin.

In any case, it seems very interesting.
    I know that, together with grammar, proportions and background are big issue for me. I try to be slightly minimalist with my drawings, in which usually results in a big mess.
    Usually I do bold lines when the subject it's closer to the camera and thinner when far away. I am aware this make look character like cardboard on stage but this is needed me of sort of reminder of my original plan: make my art as minimalist possible.
    this is the actual (today) update without ballons&stuff to make easier to notice it.

My original plan with this webcomic is, indeed, experiment and improve: surely I'll try to better blend everything with background in future. Thanks for all the advices!