New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact: Private Conversations

Elthan

Elthan shuffles around the room, taking in what little scenery it had to offer. The blandness of his surroundings reminded him of the meditation rooms that were available to Elthan before he left his home, and that he himself should try to visit one and commune with Shar again. If he was to make any good out of what he had done, he would have to.

Slowly, he settles back into the realization that they were infact being held, as 'friendly' as they may be so. A thought dawns upon him as he returns from his haunting of the room. "You know, Aeroz, now might be the best time to inform us of any of those other criminal misdeeds you have performed elsewhere, so perhaps we might stay well away."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

2. - Top - End - #152

Looking around the room, you see four green marble walls. Four glowing stones set into the ceiling provide the only light in the room. There is no furniture. The only door is made of reinforced oak. A small window set in the door is shuttered from the outside.
    Aeroz shrugs and provides no other information. Your weapons have been confiscated, including Aeroz's talking rapier.

After what seems an interminable wait, the door finally opens and a pale, gaunt man wearing a green cloak and carrying a small wooden stool steps into the room. He places the stool down in the center of the room and sits upon it. The door is locked behind him.

"Well, Master Aeroz, here we are again. This time, however, your companions have changed, have they not?"

Looking down at a piece of paper he addresses each of you by name.

"Elthan Moonshadow, initiate of Shar.

"Trinark of House Tel'von, favored of Eilistraee.

"And Callos ... to what god do you pray?"

The old man looks intently at Callos awaiting his answer.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact: Private Conversations

Callos

"How did you even find out what my name is? I'm neither famous nor have I been to this region before. And isn't it a bit rude to just ask who someone worships? After it might be a touchy subject or a private one, who are you to ask these kinds of questions?" Callos says back just as intently. Sure he was being a bit more standoffish then normal but that might help him get some answers from the other. But it wouldn't hurt to tell him either. "And for your information I don't really pray to anyone, though if it was it would be Mystara, the mother of all magic."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #154

Elthan

Elthan bats an eye at the one on the stool, sympathizing with Callos' assessment. It was certainly a bit of information he was not privy to having known by more people than necessary. Yes, he had chosen that path, but it still felt a bit unclean to be mentioned in the same sentence as her, let alone any god. Religion was the last thing he thought he should be associated with.

He places a friendly hand on Callos' shoulder. "Now there, don't be so harsh to the man. He's only confirming and standardizing a bit of information. I did shout our names out earlier, as well as Trinarks gods of worship."

I do agree with you friend. I'm rather curious how they found out a bit of this information. Though, a bit of tact would be better placed in the situation...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz

"Prozen...it is fantastic to see you again. Really, I do mean it. However, I have to ask: What in the hells is with the interrogation? And please tell me we're not going to get executed. I beg of you."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

6. - Top - End - #156

Prozen throws back his head and laughs. "An interrogation? My goodness, no!"

The amused expression disappears from Prozen's face almost immediately. "On the other hand, the warrant for your arrest is still in effect. And I suppose that your friends could theoretically be charged as accomplices."

For a moment, Prozen's expression is vaguely menacing. A second later, however, a smile returns and his voice takes on a casual, lighthearted conversational tone.

"I am truly sorry about what happened to Wottworte and Lithandrill. There was nothing I could do at the time.

"And I hear that Sedryn met an untimely end, though the Emerald Guard can not take any credit or responsibility for that I suppose."

"You must clarify for me, however, exactly how you caught up with the assassins, and explain why in the Queen's name you did not eliminate them and retrieve the kris as you had promised to do ..."
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-08-05 at 07:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos DeTerran

"Accomplices? To what? I've not done nothing then travel with a man I've assumed was innocent up til this point. More importantly why's this kris so important and why do you want it returned here?" Callos replies a bit indigninatly. After all, there were probably dozens of crimes that he could actually be charged with and this guy was doing them for...ones he didn't even know of which was apparently the crime of traveling with Aeroz. When did traveling with Aeroz become a crime?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #158

Prozen feigns a look of surprise. "What? Master Aeroz neglected to mention that he is wanted throughout the Vilhon Reach for murder?"

"The charge is false, obviously, but it served a useful purpose. We needed someone to track down the three women sent by that Rashemi witch to steal the kris. Of the four that we set on the trail, only Aeroz has survived. He has indeed proven useful however ...

"Elberon, the sword carried by Aeroz, has filled me in on the details of your journey since you surfaced in Telflamm, and has overheard enough to give me some sense of what occurred during your trek through the Underdark.

"How ironic that the Witches of Rashemen, in attempting to keep the kris from the Serpent Queen, have inadvertently delivered the kris directly back into the hands of its original owner!

"Even as we speak, that owner is using the power of the kris to raise an army of undead that will undoubtedly annihilate the East, Rashemen and all - a kind of poetic justice is it not? ..."

Prozen pauses here, as if savoring the idea of Rashemen overrun by an army of undead. Then he shrugs.

"However, as you can see, at this time we find ourselves beseiged by the Army of Darkness. Within these walls we are safe, but outside the walls at night, the drow and demons hold sway. It is only a matter of time before the Emerald City falls, as Myth Drannor has already fallen. With the kris safely with the Queen, the Vilhon Reach would have been secure, but by stealing the kris from us, the Rashemi have signed a death warrant upon our people.

"We need to recover that which is rightfully ours. The kris must be recovered and returned to the Serpent Queen, and time is of the essence.

"We therefore find ourselves in a strange position. If the enemy of my enemy is my friend, then in this case, indeed we find ourselves on the same side as the Witches of Rashemen. Neither they nor we wish for the Army of Darkness or the Undead Army of the East to prevail.

"Strange as it may seem, we need you to help us to help the Rashemi defeat the undead army and to recover the kris."
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-08-10 at 03:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Elthan

Elthan hides a grin; This man was very clever. Use an intelligent weapon to spy for you? Ingenious. This man was more than what a simple word like 'Inspector' let on to.

I wonder if he gives lectures? If so, I must attend once all buisness is finished.

He holds his arms crossed against his chest, holding his head up as he contemplates the situation. "I do not believe any of us will object to helping you retrieve your Queens kris, but our worries are primarily with its current holder, Sethra. Relieving him of the item will most likely not lessen the desire for his goals of domination. If we are to retrieve the kris, we must insure he cannot take it again, or by other means pursue his goals, which as far as I have been able to ponder means the enactment of his death; A task we have seen to be quite formidable.

"I have the among the greatest experience dealing with him. I won't bore you with why just of now, but he cannot be killed by normal means. His soul always stays around and possesses another host. Between Callos, I, and the arcane knowledge of this city, I'm sure we can find a way to put an end to his hostage taking. If you provide us with everything we need to send him to Kelemvor, I can assure the recovery of the kris."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

10. - Top - End - #160

Prozen smiles and produces a small wooden box from inside the folds of his robe.

He hands it to you. When you open it, you find nine rings, arranged 3 x 3. The rings are of different styles and metals. Some have inset gems, others are plain.

"The three of you should each choose one ring, and take the others to your friends. Those that wear one of these rings will be protected from any body snatching.

"Each of the rings also has a power that will be useful in battling the necromancer.

"Our wizards will send you to the heart of the Witches' den. Your friends, if they survive their trek, will certainly be heading there as well. Rendezvous with them there.

"You will act as emissaries of the Serpent Queen, signaling her wish for alliance with the Iron Lord. If you fail to convince him, no doubt your lives will be forfeit, so I trust that you will make a persuasive case on Her Majesty's behalf."

Prozen turns toward the door. Before he reaches it, it is unlocked and a half dozen members of the Emerald Guard enter.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-08-13 at 07:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Three of us? Theres four. We're not leaving someone behind..Hey! Get back here! At least tell us what each bloody ring does before you send us into the frying pan!"

Callos was upset. Of course he had good reason to be upset too. He had just been signed on for yet another mission and one he wasn't particularly fond of since he had no claim in Hlondeth or with this Serpent Queen who sounded like a rather unsavory individual just from title alone. Still glaring after Prozen, the necromancer turned back to the rings and looked over them studiously for some sort of hint to their use. Or more importantly for one that felt...right to him. Thats the one that he would pick for himself and he'd wait carefully for the others to pick their own before closing the case and stuffing it into one of his pockets. Aeroz was....was Aeroz and Elthan...couldn't be trusted at the moment. Once that was done he looked to the guards with a level glare. "Lets get this over with."

12. - Top - End - #162

Aeroz

"Why do I get the feeling I've done this before..." Aeroz mutters as he rests his hands on the hilts of his daggers strapped to his wrist.

"And why do I get the feeling I'm the one who's gonna be left behind"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

13. - Top - End - #163

Prozen stands by the door. "Time is of the essence. You have to go now."

The four of you are shuttled back outside. You are surprised to find that the sun has set. It is dark, and the waning moon offers little illumination.

After a dizzying series of turns, you are whisked into another ornate building.

You are herded down several long hallways and up several sets of stairs before you find yourselves in a large circular amphitheater.

Callos, Elthan, and Aeroz are led to the center of the room. Trinark stands beside Prozen, his hood is down revealing his drow features for all to see.

"We will take good care of Master Trinark of House Tel'von," Prozen assures you. "He will be free to go once the kris is retrieved and returned to the Serpent Queen. Should you fail to return, then he will share the same fate as the rest of the free peoples of the Vilhon Reach ..."

Prozen steps forward, extending a scroll to Aeroz. He exchanges the scroll for the gold signet rings Aeroz has been carrying since his journey across the Sea of Fallen Stars. "Give the scroll to the Iron Lord. Retrieve the kris. You may be our last and best hope. Farewell."

Shadows stir. Thirty robed figures step forward along the upper levels of the amphitheater. They raise their hands in unison and begin chanting ...

14. - Top - End - #164

Elthan

Elthan picks out a ring at random, not caring to make any distinction between them as he slips one of them on his finger. He sighs; There wasn't anything he could do to take Trinark with them. All he could do was ensure they returned swiftly.

"We'll be back for you soon Trinark." he says, standing still as the mages come up. He was sure he heard of this before; Circle Magic, Linda had called it. It was quite a distance, so it did make sense that such a measure would need to be taken to transport them to their destination. Then again, maybe it was just a chant; Eldrich words combined for a single, specific effect. While the casters call upon their power, he closes his eyes and muses over the thought, at a loss for how they would present their case to the Iron Lord.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

It apparently looked like Prozen was one of those close-lipped and quiet people who aimed for the whole mysterious persona. The kind who reeked of trouble to Callos and he eyed the Inspector more then a little bit suspiciously as he was herded out of the room. Now he was standing in the middle of a whole bunch of mages who were all casting a spell towards him, so what divine being had he angered recently?

Still, as much as he wanted to tell the lot of them to hurry it up and get it over with, he knew better then to disrupt the delicate concentration either if they were doing what they said they were. So instead he reached in subtly to the box and grabbed the most ornate looking ring that he remembered seeign and slipping unto his finger with a small whispered prayer of Mystara.

16. - Top - End - #166

As the mages chant, the air seems to thicken around the three of you. Trinark raises a hand in farewell, then everything turns black.

You tumble through space, with no sense of location or time. After seconds or maybe days you decide that you are no longer moving. Slowly you reorient yourself, realizing that you are lying face down on a cold stone floor. After a few more minutes in complete darkness, it occurs to you to open your eyes.

A number of fur-clad heavily armed and armored warriors look down at the three of you with curiosity.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-08-24 at 03:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

Default Tiriel & Callos @ Immilmar

Tiriel & Callos @ Immilmar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Callos

Maybe I acted hastily..

Thwack!

His thoughts were interrupted by having his own hand come soaring back through the air at him to smack into his face. And rather hard at that too, though he was lucky enough to catch the appendage when it started to fall down. Light scratches showed from where he had been hit and a distinctly disgruntled look came to his worn features as he delicately placed the wrist to the bone and turned it from side to side. Soon it was moving around seemingly of it's own violation and he smiled with relief. It wasn't broken, good. Carefully wrapping the towel around the skeletal limb once more he turned his attention back to Tiriel.

"There's plenty wrong with me so you'll have to be more specific angel-kisser. In this particular case I got sick and tired of catching you staring at my arm and wondering what had happened instead of simply giving me privacy, which is all I really want right now. If theres thoughts in that head of yours besides violence then you'll know I gave you plenty of warning about what I was going to do back when we got sent elsewhere and yet you were still curious! Or maybe it was blatantly misunderstanding what I said last night and making me seem like a racist like the half-elf! Oh, wait, I have it! I just don't like you! Get this straight Shiney, I'll work with you, I'll pull your glowing behind out of the fire if need be, I may even put myself in harms way to make sure you make it since your a decent person, but that in no way means I have to or will like you or ever will. Was that simple enough or should I draw a picture for you?"

Sure it was childish. Sure he really had no real reason to toss a skeletal hand at her but he had been ornery and she had made herself a viable target too. Then again did she have to throw it back at him that hard too? It had really smarted!

OOC: Yeah sarcasm!...Yes I know I ignored Grynde but Callos is sorta busy at the moment and'll get to him later...and I know further beatings are probably on the way and accept that.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-09-10 at 08:41 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

18. - Top - End - #168

Default Tiriel & Callos @ Immilmar

Tiriel & Callos @ Immilmar

Tiriel
    Two opposing sides of Tiriel's brain were at war. One part wanted to beat the **** out of Callos (the gods know he deserves it!), and the other, quieter part, feels sorry for Callos because he's obviously either nuts or very close to it.
    In the end a compromise is found.

Tiriel quickly closes the distance between them and grabs Callos by his "good" arm and hauls him back to his room. Damian and Fizahn get out of her way, no doubt the expression on her face telling them that intervening would not be a good idea. She unceremoniously pushes Callos into the room before her. Before she closes the door she turns an emotionless face to Fizhan and Damian. "Excuse us." [hr]
    Tiriel turns and faces Callos. Surprisingly her face is calm and her voice, even. "Get dressed." She says before turning and facing away from the necromancer.

[ooc: okay, that was awkward. But beating the crap out of him while he's still in towels would be worse.]
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-09-11 at 08:47 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

19. - Top - End - #169

Adalmar & Tanner @ Immilmar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Tanner listens to Adalmar with piercing eyes. He replies, "That may be true, but you, Adalmar, are not like them. Why then do you travel with them? What is the truth behind your path?"
    The ranger looks at the stone floor and stays silent for a while. When he looks up, some sadness has entered his eyes. "You ask much." A pause. "Very well. I believe you heard what I said to the Rashemen when we first met them ?

My route started in Lethyr. It was my home, and it got destroyed. I had to give answer ; my first concern was for the safety of other Dalesmen... and on the way to Kront I met the group. More accurately, they... they rescued me.

And the goal that they revealed to me at the time matched my second objective : warn Rashemen of the threat and (in my case) obtain help for the Great Dale. So we travelled together... to find Kront emptied of its inhabitants. There we faced skeletons, and vampires... but you already heard that part.

Being with them has been... troubling at times
    " - and it's a euphemism for him to call the turmoil that followed Evandur's murder 'trouble' - "but the mutual help was invaluable too." He leaves it unsaid that he would have died without them, several times over. "[COLOR]I hope you now understand my path to Immilmar.[/COLOR]"

All the while, his speech was a bit slurred (jhuild-ish) but always coherent.

---

Adalmar : o Bat, will you be my companion ?

Adalmar enquires among the Rashemen where he can find some caves. He is very open about his goal, which is to bond a Dire Bat as companion.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

20. - Top - End - #170

Khazrael

Khazrael walks the streets in fine new clothing--a short black jacket decorated with large silver buttons and a delicate chain hangs open, and no shirt is worn beneath. His old, tattered pants have been replaced with new tailored wool dyed a deep black, and his kohl has been freshly applied. His trusty boots are polished to a like-new shine, and his belt hangs, like always, loosely from one hip.

He searches for a summoner. His dream has opened his mind to new possiblities, and though the warnings were grim, he feels confident that he is skilled enough to take the risk.

I will be the stronger of the two. My blood will be my tool, not the other way around.
    ((OOC: Moved here and taken out of the IC thread. I know we're dealing with Grynde, but I figured I'd put it here to speed things along once his dragon situation is settled.))

21. - Top - End - #171

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Tanner listens intently to Adalmar, soaking in the meaning both said and unsaid by the ranger. He replies, "So, you will remain with them out of loyalty, I take it. However, do you think the same could be said of your companions? Would they stand by you in the Dale? Or would they use your loyalty against you for their own ends?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Tiriel & Callos @ Immilmar

Callos

"You better let go of me Shiney!" Callos growled out as she grabbed hold of him and dragged him back into his room and tell Fizahn and Damian to leave in not so many words. What on earth did this clearly unstable woman have in mind now? He thought about it for the moment...but nothing really came to him.

Every other time he had managed to enrage Tiriel she had threatened or tried to beat him so if this time was the same...

"I am not going to get dressed merely so you have the comfort at night that you didn't beat a shivering man wrapped in towels. If you can't man up enough to do beat me like this then your not woman enough to do it in the first place." He said flatly though mini alarm bells rang in his head. He had meant for that to be more...placating but it had turned out a little insulting...okay more then a little. He did give her an apologetic shrug though....not that she'd notice in her current state of mind even if she had been looking at him.

23. - Top - End - #173

Default RE: Tiriel & Callos @ Immilmar

Tiriel

"Shut up Callos. And get dressed. You've already made a big enough fool of yourself parading around the hallway.
    "Fine you don't like me. You haven't given me any reason to like you either. In fact, you seem bent on giving me more reasons to not like you. And it's working. But what you're also doing is acting like a child. So while I may not be woman enough to beat you half-naked, I am going to tell you stop acting like a prick and start acting like a man.
    "I've tried to give you some respect. I expect at least a little of that in return until this is over with. After that, do whatever you want, but until Sethra's good-&-gone stop dragging other people into your personal problems!
    "

Tiriel's exhausted by the time she finishes. She's still angry, in fact very angry at Callos but something he said earlier made her hold back. Something about how he thinks she's a decent person or something. And, looking back on it, he had done things to help her... then again, she'd kept him from falling out of a tree so maybe that was just so he'd be "even." Take that and add what she knows of his past and she's starting to get an understanding that what Callos is upset about isn't really her, but something she reminds him of...

Tiriel's train of though is derailed by the re-entrance of Fizahn into Callos' room. She's about to correct him about a certain misunderstanding before he moves on (gnomes talk too fast).

"WHAT?!?" Forgetting for a moment that a) she was still mad at him, and b) He wasn't dressed, Tiriel turns and faces Callos. When she sees that he hasn't moved and is still in the towels, she scowls at him. "What are you doing! Hurry up, this could get ugly. Fizahn, wait here, I'll be back."
    Tiriel leaves and dashes down the hall and retrieves her sword from her room. She considers getting her armor but doubts that it'd make that big of a difference. In fact the sword won't do much either but having it makes her feel better.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

24. - Top - End - #174

Fizahn In Callos's Room:

Fizahn looks back at Callos. "Wow. I never did think that throwing your hand at her would be a turn on. Way to go." He turns and sees Tiriel pause on her way out. Maybe I said that a little early and a bit too loud. "Anyway, I don't think I completely explained what's going on. You should come with me to the dining room. That's where it happened; I'll fill you in on the way." Fizahn begins walking towards the dining room, but pauses when he remembers Callos is still in his robe. He closes the door gently. "Actually, why don't you get dressed first? I will be here with the door cracked open ever so slightly, and shouting what happened really loudly, so everyone within earshot hears. It began- never mind,"" Fizahn mumbles grasping his head. "Just get dressed quickly."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-09-11 at 10:08 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Tanner listens intently to Adalmar, soaking in the meaning both said and unsaid by the ranger. He replies, "So, you will remain with them out of loyalty, I take it. However, do you think the same could be said of your companions? Would they stand by you in the Dale? Or would they use your loyalty against you for their own ends?"
    Adalmar shakes his heads. "Loyalty is not it. Not that I am not loyal... Ah, it's hard to explain - I'm not sure I really know myself. There's duty, but where mine lies is hardly clear. There's... a desire for revenge." Clearly, he has trouble admitting that part. "And a sense of destiny... but I am not sure you would get that." He searches Tanner's face for a hint of understanding. An angel among us...

He seems puzzled at the thought of his companions using him. "I believe they would stand by my side. The ones that matter anyway." He shrugs. "Or you could say the ones that matter are the ones who would stay." He seems delighted by his own clever 'play on words', simple as it is - the alcohol is still very much potent.

He grows serious again. "Listen, you better keep quiet about all that. I said much... and didn't ask for anything in return... except this."

26. - Top - End - #176

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post

Adalmar shakes his heads. "Loyalty is not it. Not that I am not loyal... Ah, it's hard to explain - I'm not sure I really know myself. There's duty, but where mine lies is hardly clear. There's... a desire for revenge." Clearly, he has trouble admitting that part. "And a sense of destiny... but I am not sure you would get that." He searches Tanner's face for a hint of understanding. An angel among us...
    Tanner Gondsman

Tanner listens to the Dalesman intently and his stern face relaxes at the sound of destiny. He thinks to himself, Destiny...yes, I suppose one could call it that. We must all face trials, and what we are is due to the tempering of these experiences.

He seems puzzled at the thought of his companions using him. "I believe they would stand by my side. The ones that matter anyway." He shrugs. "Or you could say the ones that matter are the ones who would stay." He seems delighted by his own clever 'play on words', simple as it is - the alcohol is still very much potent.

He grows serious again. "Listen, you better keep quiet about all that. I said much... and didn't ask for anything in return... except this."
    Tanner smiles at Adalmar and says, "Friend, your words have been an inspiration to me, and I appreciate your candor. I am not sure if what I do would matter, but I think that as long as my actions matter to me and to my friends, then they are right." Tanner rests his hand on Adalmar's shoulder and says, "I'll have you know, that I shall be by your side until the end of this."

With a final smile and a slight squeeze, Tanner makes his leave and is off to the best night's rest he has had.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

27. - Top - End - #177

Adalmar : o Bat, will you be my companion ?

Adalmar enquires among the Rashemen where he can find some caves. He is very open about his goal, which is to bond a Dire Bat as companion.
    This occurs after the events regarding the wyrm ring ...

Adalmar rides south and east, as directed by the Rashemi, toward the coast, where he has been assured large caves filled with bats can be found. Though the bats are either hibernating or sleeping, Adalmar hopes he can find a companion to replace Kir.

The memory of his loyal hawk causes him to raise his face to the sky. A small black dot circling high above catches his attention. The bird circles lazily in a way that seems uncannily familiar to Adalmar's trained eye.

Could it be ...?
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-09-14 at 01:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178

Adalmar

Not daring to hope yet, he stands up in his stirrups and whistles, several times. The sound may not carry all the way, but he has got to try.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was actually looking forward to bonding a bat, but I suppose Adalmar will be happier if it's Kir...

29. - Top - End - #179

The bird drops like a stone, skimming across the surface of the icy Lake before pulling up into a controlled stall and landing gently on Adalmar's extended hand. Somehow Kir has managed to fly across Lake Ashane and has found his master.

30. - Top - End - #180

Adalmar

A large grin spreads on the bearded face of the Dalesman. He takes a bunch of (dead) small insects from a pouch in the saddlebagds and feeds them to the hawk. It's not as good a meal as he'd like to offer to his companion - it was meant for the bats - but it'll have to do for now. Petting Kir's head lightly, he turns his horse around and begins to ride back to Immilmar, narrating to Kir what happened since their separation. He's aware the bird cannot understand the actual meaning of the words, but it seems natural to him anyway.