New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact: Private Conversations

Sethon

The grey elf, no longer on fire, surveys the trees quietly. "Indeed, we would be best find a way back. It would be a waste to be stuck here for a day while Valentine is elsewhere... I must have my vengeance.

I wonder where the other platforms might lead?" he adds. "If we could reliably use and trace them all, they would be a valuable asset."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Damian

"Well, we already know where several of them lead, in any case. But if everyone agrees with Khazrael, and we need to get to the Medusa tower, everyone get into the chamber, and I'll see what I can do."

When everyone arrives in the chamber (assuming everyone agrees), Damian looks around the chamber, his eyes flashing blue for a moment as he calls up his own arcane sense.

Wandering around, his fingers brush over the platforms, starting with the medusa platform, as he mumbles various arcane words of power.

Remembering that Elthan was the one who activated the towers in the first place, he tries to recall exactly the sense of arcane flow that he felt when Elthan did it, and mimic that as best he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic, last one. Obviously not really necessary, but from Damian's point of view it is. He's going to look for any hint of excess magic which might be a trigger or activation mechanism, using Use Magic Device's "activate blindly" feature (DC 25)

He's also going to try to emulate whatever Elthan did to activate the towers, using the "emulate class feature" ability (DC 20).

(Note: I'll roll once, but Damian will keep trying until something happens. Use Magic Device allows you to retry unless you roll a 1.)

Use Magic Device - (1d20+13)[23] (activate blindly, DC 25)
    Use Magic Device - (1d20+13)[29] (emulate class feature, DC 20)
    Last edited by barawn; 2008-04-13 at 10:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Damian tries his best to emulate Elthan's connection to the shadow weave. He is unsuccessful at first, but after several disappointing attempts, he manages to trigger the Medusa platform.

The walls vanish revealing a moonlit pine forest. The four of you cluster onto the Medusa platform and rematerialize in a different chamber - one with a dark, dried bloodstain in the center of the floor. An open trapdoor above lets in a bright sunbeam. The air is warm and humid. Tropical birds or insects screech outside.

The chamber is empty. Stairs lead downward.

OOC: Please continue to use this thread for now ...
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2008-04-15 at 08:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

Satisfied that no one is in immediate danger of dying, the priestess follows the group outside and then back to the platform. Standing on the platform, she grips her holy symbol and prays for Damian's success.

While doing so, she tries to remember if she had learned anything about this place or these towers in her Rashemi history lessons.

Knowledge History - (1d20+4)[14]

5. - Top - End - #215

Damian

A brief look of shock crosses Damian's face when the tower activates, but it quickly vanishes with a brief shake of his head. "That is how they work, then."

Looking around at the empty chamber, he quickly draws a dagger and the paltry wand he had been using as his only weapon once he spots the blood in the center of the room. "So where are they? And whose blood is that..."
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

Khazrael

Why is it daytime here?

"Valentine couldn't have gone into that sunlight. Let's get downstairs and see if there's any sign of her."

Khazrael waves the others along and heads down the stairs, knife and mirror still ready.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

Nodding to the tiefling, Tryntha moves down the stairwell with her shield leading the way.

"Stay close, my spell of protection is still in effect and will shield anyone within ten feet of me. The blood is dried, so let's hope it is not from anyone we know."

8. - Top - End - #218

As you move cautiously down the stairs, you hear the footsteps of many boots climbing upward towards you ...

OOC: OK to move back to the main thread ...

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha and Callos

Her eyes are sunken with dark circles underneath them, their youthful shine dulled for the moment. Her hair is matted with grime and sweat as she pleads with him.

"Why wont they listen to reason? These things must be destroyed! If we are made to suffer taking that one along with us, at least we must take the others to the sunlight. Though I dont wish it to come to this...I will help incapacitate them if necessary"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos & Tryntha

Callos observed her silently for a long moment and his heartless facade cracked a bit at the lost shine of the hathran's eyes. When he spoke it was with a sigh and a shake of his head, sounding unbelievably weary.

"They each have their own reasons for not destroying them Tryntha and as much as I hate to admit it, if they did just do away with them as they should then each would lose something of themselves along the way. Except for Retay, I don't know why he supports the continued existence of that monster...but don't do anything..We are all tired and worn, attacking each other now merely dooms any efforts we might take in the near future to have your countrymen."

Raising a hand up he patted the woman on the shoulder but shook his head.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #221

Goblin

Retay & Grynde

The tall warrior steps up to Grynde, looks down at him for a moment, and then offers, "Thanks for defending the vampires. You're a good fighter, it was good to have you on board.

"I'd like to give you something in return for their lives - well, one of their lives," he adds, slightly bitterly. "I'd like to give you a skill."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde & Retay

The half-elf sits after the argument cools down, his story untold, quietly nursing a receeding hangover, until the barbarian begins talking to him. Having zoned out from the running conversation entirely, he misses the first few sentences, but manages to catch the last bit.
    "Skills? Like what?"

13. - Top - End - #223

Goblin

Retay & Grynde

The Nar pauses, wondering how to explain the phenomenon. "My people call it rage. It's... It's a sort of way to turn anger into strength. Raw strength. Remember that ice-worm thing in the mountains? I cleaved its skull open in a rage." He doesn't brag, he merely states.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde & Retay

"No kidding? I thought you were just really strong. So that's what you're doing when you go all angry and don't say anything?"
    He considers this for a moment. This could be some sort of plan to harm me. He's a human, after all. Best be cautious.
    "...So, you can teach me to fight like you?"

15. - Top - End - #225

Goblin

Retay & Grynde

"Yes, that's what I'm doing when I... go all angry and don't say anything. I go into-- into a sort of 'zone', right, where everything is a foe, and I have to kill the foes - no matter what. Pain becomes irrelevant. It lets me fight on even when I should be dead.

"And yes, I can teach you the rage. You just have to accept your anger - nourish it - and focus it all outward: make everything a monster. And you have to pour all of your anger and hatred into every blow. Don't hold back at all - give it everything you have and then some more. It's exhausting,"
    he adds, "but noone can match the power."

Deciding there is no more that can be taught with words, the towering berserker tosses his axe aside, activates the iron ring, and, with the short growl of "stab me," begins to teach the little half-elf the Secrets of Barbarism.

16. - Top - End - #226

Letter

Sometime during the groups time off, Fizahn is approached by a courier who promptly identifies the gnome and makes his delivery before dashing off. Fizahn is left back to what he was doing with a plain parchment scroll sealed by an Arcane Mark bearing resemblance to a quarter-moon beside and above a stylized 'E'. Breaking the seal is as simple as breaking one of wax, and inside is written,

"Fizahn,

I'm not sure if we've done anyway with that fancy chess set we had, but I've managed to borrow one of the Iron Lords for a short time. I've set up a room for us to play a game, and drawn a map to it. If you wish to play, please come by today after noon."

Beneath the note is a rough sketch of the main hall and a few branching corridors, leading to one of the many guest rooms of the castle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

17. - Top - End - #227

Fizahn:

Fizahn is surprised to see a courier with a letter for him. The gnome looks the letter over and laughs when he sees the stylized 'E.' What is he, some sort of bigshot noble now? Why waste money on a courier and letter when he could just ask me in person. Or is it meant to be intimidating? The gnome chuckles to himself as he heads back up to his room. After digging the chess set out of his new pack, he sets off for the room where he's to play Elthan. Outside the door, the gnome stops for a second. He makes sure his dagger is in plain sight and mutters the activation word for his ring before stepping in the door. "Hello Elthan. I'm ready to play and I do still have the set from the boat. Do you think you can beat a gnomish grandmaster? Although I'm not actually a grandmaster, but I am gnomish."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2008-06-26 at 12:45 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #228

Elthan

Elthan opens the door and greets Fizahn with a grin. "Grandmaster is it? Well, let me tell you I'm no Grandmaster, but I had quite a reputation south of the Sword Coast for playing a good game. Or, at least I think I did.." The half-elf pauses over this, ushering the gnome inside. "I'm glad to see you brought the board, I think I like it better then the one I found. I'll play Black, if that's alright."

The opening moves are made, and the sorcerer settles into his seat. "Interesting choice; I haven't played many games opening with the Queens Pawn." He waits a moment and lets Fizahn make his move before continuing "We've been a part of this from the beginning, haven't we? All the way from The Dragon Coast to the edge of Faerun. I remember Philodus, Ephiliastokles and his hunting dogs, Taern, Linda, Graevic and Thokk. We did so much together, it's hard to believe they're gone now, and you and I are the only two remaining. From the beginning, we've been companions through this. We both battled Odens Dragon, witnessed Sethras wakening, defeated a Demon of far greater power then we possessed, traveled through the Underdark, dealt with Formain, Drow, Driders, Liches, Oozes, Illithids, Wights and Werewolves, and traveled thousands of miles together, yet I can't help but feel we've never really gotten to know each other. Maybe it's simply how hectic our travels have been, but I feel that now that we have some breathing room perhaps we could get to know each other a bit better?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The game can be found here for all interested
    http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=7641767
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

19. - Top - End - #229

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at Elthan as he moves his pawn. "You're right. We are the only ones left, unless Thokk comes back from the dead again. And that stubborn dwarf will do it too! That's one of the reasons I drew from the deck. I heard rumors about it giving people the ability to wish people back from the dead. I was either going to wish back Thokk or Sherya. I hadn't decided, and I guess I don't need to." The gnome sighs as he removes Elthan's pawn from the board. "Thokk and the druid were the only ones I got to know well. They're both gone. And then the other you was fried by Sethra. Ha. If I got to know you better, you'd probably suffer the same fate. That's what happens to all my really good companions at any rate. Although some of the people I grew up with might still be alive and adventuring. Not a good fit for them, actually. Despite all his skill, Erikkin's a complete bonehead. I wonder how many people he's killed through his actions." Fizahn pauses for a second as he realizes Elthan has no idea who he's talking about. Oh well, I didn't stop to explain who anyone was in my story about Sethra. "I'm going to be blunt, Elthan. There's a reason not many people are trying to get close to you. You're power hungry. That's not really a bad thing, I mean take me, I'm wealth hungry. It hurt my soul when they cut me out of the treasure just because of my luck with the deck. I was risking life and limb when I drew from that thing! You know that. Anyway, the problem with you is that you sacrifice others in your lust for power, and at the most inopportune moments! That's the part they don't like. It makes you seem like Sethra. But I'm sure they'll forgive you once we defeat him. Anyway, how do you plan to handle the wraith? I don't think I can actually help, at least not directly."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2008-06-26 at 02:24 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

20. - Top - End - #230

Elthan

Elthan is unphased as his pawn is taken, now moving his knight out from the danger of the bishop and gaining control of the center. "As far as I'm concerned about my ghost, I've done as much preparation as I can hope for considering I cannot gain direct help." He reaches down and pulls up a thin, plain leather-bound book. "I've copied one of Callos' spells from memory, and for the past three days, I've been printing out Explosive Runes onto this book. There are now thirty-five in this small book, making it the most dangerous piece of literature around. I doubt it will read itself to death, but if it were in its proximity when I just so happen to fail to disarm it from a range, I do believe there is no force on Toril that will save it." Elthan opens up the book and adds one final rune, using up the last spell available to him for the day. As an afterthought, he adds, "Oh yes, I wouldn't recommend reading from it. Ever."

The sorcerer takes a long look at the board, aimlessly making moves in his head while he continues to think aloud. "I remember the druid. In fact, I think he also trusted you with his name, did he not?" He stops and ponders morbidly for a moment, "So many in our company have died we should start selling funeral plots to the others, don't you think? It's not the fault that you knew Ssathiya or Thokk that they are dead, but rather the dangerous things they were dragged into. I think at least that much is clear. They sacrificed themselves, Thokk multiple times, so that we might live. Evandur too would have made that sacrifice for the group, or as our friend would have said, for the pack. I admit I was stupid; I let that lust take over then and risked my sanity, but thanks to him, I now have a new understanding of the Weave. I've only let myself do such a thing once, and to everyone, that seems more than enough... "

Elthan breathes in, catching his breath from his own windedness. " 'One who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster,' as they say. Look at our concerns; Wealth and Power. Don't you think, after a whole year of seeking this one foul man, we just might be transforming into such? I seek to end Sethra because I am not like him, but here, as you said, I seem like him. If we were truly the same, I would quickly lose hope. It's what makes us different from him, from the monsters we battle, that lets us continue on. What then is it that separates us from them Fizahn?" The question seems to be as much for his benefit as for the conversations. I haven't figured it out fully yet, my mind is still blurred. Perhaps he has an answer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

21. - Top - End - #231

Fizahn & Elthan Chess Game:

Fizahn continues with his opening as he ponders Elthan's question. "Well, the obvious answer for many monsters is our cognitive abilities. However, that doesn't exactly set us apart from Sethra. Sethra's cognitive powers equal those of all of our group. I know what sets me apart from him, but I'm not so sure about you. I'm a lot prettier than he is. But, joking aside, which is hard for me to do, so I hope you understand how much it takes for me to say this, I suppose it would be our self-restraint. Our guilt. Our conscience. I'm not actually a philosopher. It's the moral boundaries we draw for ourselves. I'm not a monster because I don't kill unless I have to. If something's threatening my life, or working for someone threatening my life, or a soulless undead abomination, I will kill it, but I won't kill someone just because I want his woman, or she's the child of the woman I loved and another man. I doubt any of that helps. As I said, I'm not a philosopher. You should probably give that book to Callos. He likes blowing himself up."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

22. - Top - End - #232

Elthan and Fizahn
    Chess at Immilmar

The half-elf grins and retorts, "Prettier? Sethra inhabits the body of a young girl Fizahn, I'm sure he's feeling very pretty right now." He plays the game for a bit, watching both sides willingly sacrificing pieces until a handful of pawns remain on his side, with Fizahn in the advantage with a rook and a bishop. "It seems neither of us make great philosophers, but good enough. Tell me though, what are you planning to do after we confront Sethra?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

23. - Top - End - #233

Fizahn and Elthan Chess:

The gnome smiles back at Elthan's retort. "That is true, but he cheated. He's just using Sherya's beauty. It still counts as Sherya's, thereby nullifying his beauty and making me the prettier one." Fizahn continues playing the chess game. The insufferable gnome is cocky the entire game as soon as he goes up a piece. Fizahn is caught slightly off-guard as Elthan asks about future plans. "Well, I've never been one for long term planning. It's too unpredictable with factors I can't control. Thokk and I had some plans... Anyway, if I'm rich enough to retire, I will, though I doubt it. Maybe I'll associate myself with a thief's guild somewhere. I suppose you'll continue your studies?" Fizahn looks back at the board. "You've stopped moving pieces, Elthan. Does this mean you resign before my superior onslaught? And I so wanted to get three queens... Ah well, it was a good game. Perhaps another time."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

24. - Top - End - #234

Elthan and Fizahn
    Chess at Immilmar

Elthan nods his head slowly, "Yes, I resign. Not much I can do with only a king, is there? I suppose yes, I'll continue studying, though honestly, I want to continue adventuring as it were. I've gotten so caught up in it, I can't imagine stopping now. Maybe I should pick up an apprentice of some sort? That's in the future, I suppose. We should play again sometime."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

25. - Top - End - #235

Adalmar - A new beginning

Like most of the group, Adalmar leaves the fortress the day after they arrived. He has avoided jhuild the night before, instead taking the time to put together all the bits of information and of wisdom that he's collected throughout the trip. Some pieces of the puzzle still don't fit, but he sees the way ahead more clearly and that is no small victory.

He finds a shrine to Mielikki, but it is in disrepair. He then decides to leave the city to go to Ashenwood - he feels nudged in that direction. Borrowing a horse from the Iron Lord's stables, he rides hard to the forest.

The first motion he spots is a hawk circling over the forest. Adalmar narrows his eyes, and observes it in silence for a time. He can soon confirm that it is of the same species as Kir. The hawk alights on a branch 50 meters away from the ranger and looks in his direction fixedly. Then it soars again and disappears farther in the forest.

Adalmar leaves the horse to feed and steps into the forest. He enjoys its quiet peace, and soon his steps lead him down not-quite-forgotten paths. He came here years ago - and a Ranger rarely forgets a trail.

He stops when he reaches a dense grove of trees. This is the most sacred place in the forest, he was told. He goes in confidently. This is the demeasne of his Goddess, untouched by the flame of the demons or the rot of undeath, and it is also his home. Almost his home - the scents are subtly different from Lethyr's.

He walks and walks, Kir on his shoulder, among all sorts of trees. He spots a fox in the distance, then a deer and robins in the tree watching him pass by.

At some point he realizes he cannot quite recognize the place. And he seems to have gone a distance bigger than the size of the grove. Undaunted, he walks on.

It begins with a whisper, like a breeze rustling the leaves. There is the sound of a distant river, the flapping of wings, a screech, a twig breaking under his boot. The symphony seems to resolve into a voice in his head.

The voice neither commands nor asks, it is simply there. It is a strange dialogue - about berries, the feeding of the young, the curve of a plant, a branch shooting upward so fast !/taking decades to reach the sun.
    About what could come to pass, but shall not. About him, as a human and as an arrow. As a living being and as a shadow.

The next thing he remembers, Adalmar is waking up seated against a trunk, his eyes blinking slowly at the sunlight shining through the canopy. He feels different but in ways that he cannot explain.
    Blessed Mielikki spoke to me... or did she ? Why would she come to me ?
    The Necromancer. The huhrong said some gods were meddling. She wasn't mentioned though.
    Perhaps it was this forest.
    Or maybe I dreamt - an echo of Lethyr that traveled like a shooting star.

He calls Kir to him with a whistle, raising his hand for the hawk to land on. "Little buddy, I have a task for you. It's going to be hard but... we'll be apart. I'm counting on you."
    Kir may not understand but he remains perfectly still - his eyes looking into Adalmar's eyes.

The ranger sighs then intones a prayer. First he unbinds Kir - a tremor shakes his small body and he lets out a cry - then the human lays a spell on the hawk. He ties a small capsule to his leg. "I need you to bring this to the Ranger's Circle in Lethyr." He pauses, then adds for his own benefit : "I can't be the only survivor. Someone will be there. They will receive word that there is hope, that I and others are doing everything we can. That the demons won't return, even if the undead are still a threat. Let the reconstruction begin !
    They will hear of that vampire, too. And then they will take care of you - until my return.
    "

He walks to the center of the clearing then his arm shots upward, and Kir soars like an arrow towards the sky, with one long-lasting cry as a goodbye to his master and friend.

Seating himself in a patch of grass under shade mixed with sunlight, Adalmar devours a meal ravenously - he has no idea how long it's been since he entered the forest. It is not over yet, he has a long ritual to perform.

Somewhere along his dream, he must have been warned because he knows precisely what will happen...

And it does happen. His call has been carried far by the forest, and to answer it a majestuous creature comes. It is a dire bat - one Adalmar knows was the companion of the druid who used to live here. After Kir's fierce focus, it feels strange to "dance" with the bat's ponderous flight. The link is forged through the offer of food, and the first contact, then a bolder contact. All the while he steps forth, then back, forth, then back. Crooning, smiling, singing, laughing - the experience is exhilarating.

The proud beast is free to refuse, but somehow he knows it won't. The bonding goes on for many more hours until they both go to sleep, the bat hanging upside down above the shape of the ranger curled in his sleep. Perhaps it feels protective of him already.

There is much to be done the day after. Adalmar visits the rangers of Ashenwood, asking about the care of the bat, telling of his vision to his admirative colleagues... When he leaves the forest, moved by a sudden inspiration he sends his horse galloping by itself towards Immilmar. He takes a longer but much more satisfying path: he comes a-flying on the back of his new companion. He misses Kir but knows that he made the right choice.

From then on he re-enters the turbulent bustle of the city. He has new armor to acquire and some magical items to help him in the hardships to come. He feels a new man - there is much he still has to discover about the Goddess' gift.

Spoiler
    Show
    He used the Animal Messenger spell on Kir.

Also, I didn't proofread the text so just ignore the typos and mistakes !
    Last edited by namo; 2008-06-27 at 08:41 AM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

26. - Top - End - #236

Tiriel - Illimar (sp?)

Tiriel heads back to her room where she dumps the contents of her bag of holding on to the bed and floor only replacing the box holding the kris back into the bag. After a few moments of sorting she steps back and then adds her elven chain and sword to the collection. She stands there, staring at mess she'd made. She finds herself biting her lip as she looks at the armor that up until a few days ago had been Valentine's.

That whole fight had been frustrating. She'd barely managed to land a hit even after Callos had enchantment her, for better or worse, and the armor was one reason why. Tiriel's own had been badly tarnished after she'd tackled the acidic demon, and was nowhere near as good as the platemail before her. She knows all this but still doesn't like the idea of wearing the vampire's armor...
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos & Tiriel

And there she was...Callos remained silent as he stood in the doorway, watching as she stared at the armor and waiting until the moment seemed right to noisily clear his throat. The large silver mirror was carefully and painstakingly strapped to the inside of his backpack though hints of light caught it every now and then to send off a bright glare for a moment.

"I need to borrow the kris for a moment." He said gravely though there was more then a hint of excitement in his eyes as he stepped into the small room and gazed around absently for a long moment. "I'm going to try and find Sethra but I need the kris...otherwise theres a good chance he'll resist the intrusion and my effort will be for nothing. I'll return it the moment I'm done and your free to watch."

It was a...reasonable offer or at least he thought so as he took a cross-legged seat on the ground and pulled out the ornate mirror from his backpack and laid it flat on the ground in front of him. Reaching up a hand for the implement in question Callos would wait silently until Tiriel either denied his request or handed him the blade before laying it flat in the center of his chosen scrying tool. Once he had...well he closed his eyes and began to chant softly, painstakingly going over the phrases that were burned into his mind. Finally at the end he could feel the arcane energy burning at his finger tips and reached down to spin the kris on the mirror's surface, the dagger picking up more and more speed until one couldn't see it clearly and dark gray smoke began to fill the bright silver surface below.

"Show me the one who steals the form.
    Envelop he who brings naught but death.
    Treat his image as he treats his puppets.
    Have it brought before my gaze.
    Render him who has Sheyra in this mirror.
    And hold his shape so I may know where to find him.
    "

He chants softly before his eyes open, looking like naught but the empty eye-sockets of an animated skeleton as he leans down and blows a chilly breath across the mirror's surface that leaves it frosted.

"Sethra."

He says once more as the smoke froze in place...if it worked then the smoke should clear and show him whom he sought but if not...well perhaps he'd still be able to glean some useful piece of information from this desperate attempt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, forgot this part. Sethra gets a Will save at DC 17. I don't know which conditional modifiers that Callos meets for pluses and minuses but I'm hoping Callos at least counts as Firsthand knowledge (no change to DC) and the kris counts as a possession of his meaning a -4 to it. Up to you Dr. B...Or you can just use this for plot fulfillment.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2008-06-28 at 06:02 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

28. - Top - End - #238

Tiriel

Tiriel startles at the sudden noise and turns to see Callos standing with a ridiculously bulging backpack. She listens to his request, nods and retrieves the kris. She hesitates before handing it to him. "Be careful, I guess." Then she steps back to watch Callos, and the kris.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

29. - Top - End - #239

Adalmar

Keen-eared as ever, the ranger has located Tiriel by the sound of her voice. He steps into the room. He exchanges a few quiet words with Tiriel - asking about armor then about what Callos is doing. He grimaces briefly when he understands what is happening, but otherwise simply observes the proceedings.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

30. - Top - End - #240

Tiriel, Callos and Adalmar huddle over the mirror as the mist clears ...

A demon sits at a small table. Her face is beautiful, with large blue eyes. Two small horns protrude from her forehead. Bat-like wings sprout from between her shoulder blades. She is unclothed, except for cascades of raven-black hair that fall to her waist. She has flawless white skin and a voluptuous body. A reptilian tail curls around one of her shapely legs.

She is carrying on a conversation in abyssal with an empty chair across from her. "We should be arriving soon. The wards appear to be holding, however."

A disembodied voice floats from the empty chair, "When the time is right, the wards will fall."

The demon twirls a lock of hair around her fingers, "And Valentine? You have had no contact?"

The raspy voice replies. "No ... But I have no doubt she has succeeded in her mission. She is nothing if not reliable."

The demon rolls her eyes, then stretches lazily. She rises, then opens a small window allowing you a glimpse of the open sea outside. Sunlight streams into the room, illuminating the far wall.

A young woman lies on a narrow cot. She has chestnut hair, tied back in a ponytail with a yellow ribbon. Sleeping, she looks like a little girl, perhaps 12 years old.

Tiriel whispers, "Sheyra ..."

The demon at the window transforms into Sheyra's twin. She pouts toward the empty chair, "I'm bored. Let's play ..."

The vision fades and the mirror shatters with a pop!
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2008-06-29 at 02:21 PM.