New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Sarone's Skull and Shackles: The Wormwood Mutiny: IC

Harold does not in the least bit like the idea of working for this giant man in a bloody apron. But he even less likes the idea of Master Scourge thinking he's useless, so he raises a hand.

"Um... I can cook a bit too. Just learning, but I can make stew and things"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[3]
    (1d3)[2]
    (1d100)[37]
    (1d100)[14]
    (1d100)[69]
    Perception: (1d20+5)[18]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

"That's more qualification than I have."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Varya grins at Gareth, "pah, you only beat me because of your height. I'll best you next time." She doesn't like losing anything, but she pushes her disappointment aside. "I guess we'll be working the rigging together - should be more fun than swabbing decks at least."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[2]
    (1d3)[1]
    (1d100)[89]
    (1d100)[89]
    (1d100)[69]

Perception: (1d20-1)[12]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

"I've never cooked, but I can make food taste much better." He quickly casts prestigitation and makes small sparks dance across his fingertips.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[2]
    (1d3)[1]
    I'll take the 100s as is
    (1d100)[24]
    (1d100)[45]
    (1d100)[78]
    Perception roll: (1d20)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    Varya grins at Gareth, "pah, you only beat me because of your height. I'll best you next time." She doesn't like losing anything, but she pushes her disappointment aside. "I guess we'll be working the rigging together - should be more fun than swabbing decks at least."

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]

Perception: [roll5]
    "Whatever you need to tell yourself to make up for your shortcomings." He keeps a perfectly straight face.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cas looks at everyone though they were all upside down, she didn't even make it a quarter of the way up before falling and getting tangled in the rigging. "I know my way around a ship sir, I was born on one... as for cooking well last time I made something only 3 people vomited out of the 4! I am much better at telling stories....

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[1]
    (1d3)[1]
    (1d100)[49]
    (1d100)[1]
    (1d100)[77]
    perception (1d20+7)[17]

Dear jeebus 3 1's well this character might end up like my previous one.... RNG screwed all the way!
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2013-01-01 at 04:41 PM.
    Blarg...

7. - Top - End - #37

Partly amazed, Ezekial quickly puts out his own arguement. "Besides being a chemist and a doctor, I was also a cook," says Ezekial, before shruggin to the others. "Most of my training is of the practical and educational sort, so I can easily work with most if not all ingredients."

Ezekial's Perception Test
    Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d20+5)[15]

Letting the recruits state their cases, Mr. Plugg looks towards Master Scourge then the fat man. "Seems like we have a fewwho can say they can cook and one who looks like he actually might be able to cook." A quick glance at Master Scourge, nods twice, and Mr. Plugg nods backs. "However, since we don't know where your loyalties lie, I can't have a wizard who might try to disguise sewage as a king's banquet," he says, eyes narrowing at Binderal, "be mindful of that when you are on your duties, swab."

Turning to the Qadiran and the gnome, Mr. Plugg frowns at them. As for you two, I was asking for cooks, not Entertainers from Oppara. Besides, I doubt you two could weave a good enough tale to entertain Owlbear." Turning and spitting onto the deck below, Mr. Plugg turns to the last two, Ezekial and Harold. "Which leaves the bookworm and the ranger. Usually we would only have one, but the last one wasn't up to par. In this, though, I believ having two assistants would be worthwhile. Just remember this, though; the punishment for trying to poison the Captain or any of the officers is a triple keelhauling for the cook, and the cook's mates. Have fun with Fishguts."

Satisfied, Mr Plugg look over at a female half orc with the sides of her head shaved and a nasty scare on her neck, nodding at her. In turn, she goes to each recruits with a several keys in hands. "Aye, I be the ship's quartermaster, Grok. I'm in charge of the stors and rum rations." Saying this, she hands each recruit a key, each with a a set of bumps and raised dashes. "When you are finished for the day, you'll be going down to the middlehold. There are several lockers down, goes to the corresponding key. Inside is a hammock. I suggest finding a good place for it."

Done, Grok goes off letting the recruits quickly get seperated; Gareth and Varya are address by Mr. Plugg, Ezekial and Harold follow the fat man named Fishguts belowdecks, and the ramaining recruits are given their duties by Master Scourge.

OOC: Perception Roll of 15+
    Spoiler
    Show

During Mr. Plugg's talking, you notice his accent changes a bit; it becomes more clipped and pronounced, as though he had some higher upbringing or his 'parents' atttempted as such. (Linguistics or Knowledge Local test to figure out where.)

Gareth and Varya
    Spoiler
    Show

Satisfied with the briefing, Mr. Plug moves toward the two of you, though remains on deck. "For you two, you will be here at daybreak. Most of the riggers already have their jobs picked, which leaves ropework." Mr. Plugg points to various bundles. "Move them, coil, stow, and secure the ropes. Get to it."

Work Details
    Spoiler
    Show
    I need either a Profession (Sailor) or a Dex check from both of you.

While you are working on the ropes, you notice a gnome in a purple 'pirates' outfit helping you. A quck guess would show that he is having trouble lifting the rope, which is why the two of you are assigned to help him out.

Ezekial and Harold
    Spoiler
    Show

Taking you below decks, 'Fishguts' Kroop walks you towards the stern of the ship, past the main chained to the mast, who seems to be in a bit falmer mood. "That be ole Owlbear Hartshorn," 'Fishguts' says in a thick Shackles accent as he walks by, "sort of simple, but is one of the strongest crewman here. Be mindful of that."

Dodging the various pigs, 'Fishguts' spots a black chicken eyeing the three of you. Smiling, 'Fishguts' coes over and picks the chicken up, setting on his shoulder. "This be Black-Hearted Bezebel, my favorite chicken. She sometimes speaks to me." Petting the bird's head, 'Fishguts' turns back towards the task at hand and leads you through the door.

Inside, you see a mess of a galley: two worktables and several cupboards, as well as two stoves, are inside, with almost every utensil imaginable being seen and a number meatcleavers that everyone on the ship could be dual wielding and still not make a dent in the number shown. On the ground, walking around and among the galley, are three goats and numerous chickens. A quick look at 'Fishguts' explains it all; with a sigh and a shake of his head, 'Fishguts' walks over to a small enclave holding a pen. '"Seems they broke out again," 'Fishguts' says, "not that it doesn't help."

Standing up, 'Fishguts' look to Harold and Ezekial. "Look, I don't much care to order either of you around. Captain or that black hearted First Mate tell you to do something, you do it. However, you are assigned to me. Apparently Mr. Plugg is getting tired of my cooking, and is probably hoping either of you two will replace me."

Looking up and around, 'Fishguts shakes his head before reaching for a bottle with the word RUM on it and takes a swallow. "Being that as it may, here are your tasks. Decide on how you want to do them between the two of you." Looking at the two of you, 'Fishguts turns to the various stoves and starts cooking. "Captain is celebrating the fact we are underway. Can't blame him," 'Fishguts' says, stiring a pot, "so he wants turtle and pork tonight. The turtle will also be used for the crews meal as well."

WORK DETAILS
    Spoiler
    Show

One person hunts for turtles using nets, harpoons, and treble hooks, which requires either a Profession (Fisherman) or Survival check.

The other has to slaughter a pig and then help 'Fishguts' clean, cut, and prepare the carcass. This requires a Preofession (cook) or a Survival check.

Up to you which one you want, HuskyBoi.

'Lucky' Cas, Qadiran, Binderal, and Rugnar
    Spoiler
    Show

As the others are lead away, Master Scourge approaches you with a pained smile on his face. "Seems we be working together, then," he says, crossing his arms as he says so. "Know this; you start using magic to do your work and I catch you, it'll be three lashes at the bloody hour. And I will find out. This be your only warning."

Turning, he looks at the various swabs doing work, then gazes back at teh recruits. "You," Master Scourge says, pointing at Cas, "you seem nimble enough. I need you to relay messages for the officers. Stay by the bridge and relay messages."

Sending 'Lucky Cas off, Master Scourge looks around, smiles, then turns to Binderal. "So, 'Magic-Ears,' you like to use magic? Let's see how you do with out." Pointing over to an unattended bucket with a mop inside and a sandstone block next to it, Master Scourge jerks his head at it. "Your job is swab the deck. you may use your 'magic' to clean the water and such, but I catch you trying to animate a mop and it'll be the sweatbox for you. I heard what happened the last time someone did that. Didn't look pretty for everyone einvolved." Shuddering at the thought for a second, Master Scourge turns to the Qadiran.

"My pretty, seems you have nimble enough hands. Your job for today is sewing and splicing the sails and ropes. Should be easy enough."

Finally, turning to Rugnar, Master Scourge smiles. "Seems I'm light one member today. You are to head down to the Bilges. Say hello to Mr. Magpie while your down there."

WORK DETAILS
    Spoiler
    Show

Runner: Relay messages for the crew and officers on ship. Requires a Acrobatics Check and a Constitution Check. Two others, both human females, one a redhead with tatoos her arms and a foul tempered woman with big ears, are with you on this job. The redhead gives you a friendly nod.

Swab the Deck: Mopping the deck and scrubbing them with sandstone blocks called 'holystones'. Requires either a Strength Check or a Constitution Check.

Repairs: Repairs to the sails and ropes. Need either a Profession (Sailor) or a Dexterity Check. A young human male and a tall female Mwangi (dark skinned human) are working with you. The female seems to regard you with suspicion.

Man the Bilges: Vile and Sweaty work, it requires a Strength and Constitution Checks. A female human is also there, working on the pump, while a male human in a foul mood is shackled to the portside hull.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    You can interact with the various crew that is working with you. Follow the actions as stated.

Role Play:
    Spoiler
    Show

For those interested in roleplay, I'm game. If, however, you feel you are done, just post.

DONE WITH ROLEPLAYING! MOVE ON!

Or the equivelant.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2013-01-01 at 09:03 PM.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Gareth gets to work with the ropes, trying not to step on any garishly dressed halflings.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cas salutes smartly at Scourge "Aye Aye Master Scourge I will not let you down!" Dear sweet Besmara this isn't going to end well... She scuttles off with the two women looking the more friendly red head "Pleasure to meet you two ladies, people call me Lucky Cas, so feel free to call me Cas or lucky. Also may I say that you hair is positively stunning! I wish I were as lucky as you, ooooo those tattoos look so fascinating you must tell me what they mean!" Turning her head to the slightly gloomier woman Cas beams "I apologize if I am unable to keep up with you, I will take the blame for it, I was a ship navigator... I hope we can all be friends!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Time to persuade the crap out of these peeps! So my ship action is Persuasion!
    diplomacy (1d20+9)[17]
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Varya sets about coiling the ropes. After a few minutes at the task, she finally says to the gnome, "name's Varya, you been aboard the Wormwood long?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession(sailor): (1d20+3)[6]+4=10 for working diligently.

11. - Top - End - #41

Harold, not wanting to be stuck in a small room with Fishguts and his collection of meat cleavers, volunteers to go up on deck and hunt for turtles. And he's going to makes sure he does a blasted good job of it too! (Work Diligently)

This is good, working in the kitchen. I can do this. And maybe tonight, I'll get an opportunity to look around a bit... best play it safe for now though. And see what that alchemist thinks.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival check, including the bonus for working diligently.
    (1d20+9)[21]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

The Qadiran

The Qadiran ponders where she's heard Mr. Plugg's accent before, her face scrunching up a bit at the mention of Oppara. She wouldn't be caught dead in that garishly gilded pretender to the name of city if her life depended on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+6)[17]

Upon receiving her orders, she folds her hands and bows to Master Scourge before heading to the mast to patch up the sails. She gives a sympathetic look to the Mwangi woman.

"Why the hard look? We're all on the same boat here. Literally."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ship action for today will be persuasion. As I can't yet use my Perform check in place of Diplomacy, I'll have to make a plain ol' Charisma check and hope for the best.

(1d20+2)[21]

She then begins sewing along with the other two. It wasn't something she'd had too much experience with, but she was a fast learner, something that invariably came in handy on the high seas.

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession (sailor): (1d20+4)[7]
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

13. - Top - End - #43

Rhyvurg and SanguinePenguin
    Spoiler
    Show

Work goes good for you. Either due to luck or easy ropes, Gareth finds that he was able to get the work done quickly, thought it still was long.

Unfortunately, Varya didn't have as much luck, though working with the gnome in the purple, foppish hat and white silk shirt helps out.

"Pleased to meet such a lovely lady," the gnome says after helping tie down. "My name is Conchobhar Turlach Shortstone, thought you can call me Mr. Shortstone." When he says this, he gives you a very noticeable look as he 'appraises' you.

ArchPaladin
    Spoiler
    Show

Whether it was time at home or time abroad, you quickly catch that his accent reminds you of those from Cheliax or it's colonies and contempories. Hell Harbor, located in the Shackles, is one such location, though you can't place precisely where he is from.

Though your attempt at repairing the ropes and sails has been difficult, the Mwangi female warms to your presence. "My name is Shivikah, and I am used to a hard life. Slaving was never an easy business, even among those who embraced it."

The young man, working better at repairs than you, listens in, though he keeps to himself.

Morbis Meh
    Spoiler
    Show

Barely acknowledging you as you left, Master Scourge goes about his duties. While you aren't used to the running around, the redhead helps you out, introducing herself as Sandra. The big eared woman is less friendly, openly critical of you. "Someone like you woul dbe used as shark bait, shorty," the woman says, openly hostile to you though careful to tread lightly.

"Some of the crew are more than unfriendly, little one," Sandra says once the other woman is out of earshot. "Her name is Aretta, a former harlot from one of the more 'hospitable' regions. My guess her temper caused trouble, not that it isn't uncommon."

HuskyBoi and Sarone
    Spoiler
    Show

Though it was a bit over done, Harold managed to get enough turtles in the first half of the day to get back to the galley with a nice catch: three decent sized turtles and a few fish as well. 'Fishguts' let's out a whistle as Harold displays the catches.

However, it wasn't the only bit of luck for 'Fishguts'; realizing what he was staring at and working with, Ezekial finds that despite the mess, the Galley was easily more than accomodating. Expertly slaughtering, cleaning, and preparing one of the pigs, Ezekial chatted with 'Fishguts' about cooking on land and on sea when Harold walks in.

"You see, 'Doctor'," 'Fishguts' says as he stirs various pots with one hand while drinking from the rum bottle with the, "the one thing to know about cooking while at sea is to be a bit creative. Normally you can get away with whatever for the crew, but Captain Harrigan has peculiar tastes and such. One reason he keeps me around."

Seeing Harold walking in, 'Fishguts' nods at the catch. "Excellent job with the catch. Thought you two might not be much of assistance, but seems I'm wrong." Reaching over, 'Fishguts' holds out his hand in an attempt to shake it. "Name's Ambrose Kroop, called 'Fishguts' by every one else."

Taking a minute to look around, 'Fishguts' waves you both around closer. "You both seem like good lads, so I'll be frank you; it's poison, that's whats Wormwood is. Poison to her core, but don't speak it too loud. The hall listens, y'see, and the Capt'n hears it all."

Taking a moment to look up at the door, 'Fishguts' smiles and nods as Grok walks in and heads to the door, who waves back. "Looks like the new assistants are working out," Grok says, eyeing the turtles and the pig as they are being cooked and prepped. "Wish I could stay, but I need to check on the rations for tonight."

Nodding at Grok, 'Fishguts' looks back at Ezekial and Harold, the former listening intently. "Grok is pretty safe, she doesn't stand much against the Cap'n since he took her in. Though beyond that, you won't find a more dangerous, nasty, and sour piece of work than our Cap'n in all your days at sea, though that's just from my perspective. Most of the crew, those who have been here a while, can be just like him, and the First Mate, Mr. Plugg, is the worse."

Spitting off to the side, 'Fishguts' nods at you both. "Viscious little sod, would sell his own mother's liver to a butcher to make pies out of." Taking a deep breath and shaking his head, 'Fishguts' takes a swallow from the rumbottle. "But they leave me alone for the most part. They know I can't 'arm 'em."

Shaking his head as well, Ezekial goes back to cleaning and cutting the pig a bit more. "Looks like there's more to this place than meets the eye, Harry." Stopping for a moment, Ezekial looks back at 'Fishguts'. "Master Kroop, would it be alright for Harry and I to comeback down here and clean the galley tonight? That way we can get familiarized with its layout."

Taking a moment to think about, 'Fishguts' shrugs. "Suits me just fine, to be honest. Though I better not find half my wares being traded to Grok for more rum."

A smile on his face, Ezekial turns back to Harry. "What do you say, Harry. Ready to figure out how to cook?"
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

"So Mr Short, how badly are slaves treated on this boat?"

15. - Top - End - #45

Harold smiles in response.

"Sounds like a good idea to me!"

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming here that Ezekial is planning we do a little bit of snooping tonight. If so, then Harry's right up for that! He'll spend the rest of the afternoon chatting with Ezekial and Master Kroop, to try and get familiar with the cook and with Ezekial. On reflection, he seems a decent enough sort, though Harry's not exactly feeling encouraged after the terrifying description of the captain.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Binderal's eyes go wide with wonder at the mention of animated mops but he does his best to try and remain focused on Master Scourge and to seem thoroughly intimidated. Truth be told, all this machismo and threats didn't bother him much. Though he couldn't remember where he'd been for the past twenty years, he did remember his training as a lad. Elves live a good long while. With enough patience, any human that bothers you will be dead and gone before too long.

The Elf gives Master Scourge a nod and an "Aye aye" as he moves to the mop and bucket. The act of swabbing the deck comes naturally to him, having done it for years in his previous life. Unfortunately, the body he possessed now was considerably less suited to the task. He sets about cleaning the bucket's water with his Prestigiditation before getting started, whistling quietly as he worked.

Daytime Activity: Work Diligently
    Nighttime: Sleep (rearrange some spells, recover from presumed fatigue). I'm presuming I'm not fatigued with a 21, so I'll go for Influence

With his -2 to strength, I'll take the con check: (1d20+4)[21] (+4 from Work Diligently)
    Last edited by King Tius; 2013-01-02 at 01:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"How long have you been with the crew of the Wormwood?" Varya asks Shortstone again.

18. - Top - End - #48

Rhyvurg and SanguinePenguin
    Spoiler
    Show

Conchobar looks at Gareth, then back at Varya, then back at Gareth. "Mr. Shortstone, though that would be only to those who are under my employ. Not that I employ anyone," Conchobar says. "As for slaves, does it look like we are saves here? I don't see chains and shackles around our ankles and feet. And except for the dwarf,there hasn't been any needless torture."

Helping haul the rope and securing, Conchobar looks around before talking again. "Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact I was drugged and taken against my will at the same time you were, I was going to try and find passage on a ship. Seems like fate decided to help me out."

Tipping his hat, Conchobar, gets back to work.

King Tius
    Spoiler
    Show

Though it's been some time since you last swabbed a deck, it comes back to you. It also helps that you were able to use magic to help clean the water, something that Master Scourge views as unworthy. You notice he keeps an eye on you, talking from time to time with various crewman, one of whom was a big earheard human female.

Your hearing pick up that the lady had a run in with the female gnome, and views her as a unworthy of being on the crew. However, a quick admonishment by Master Scourge indicates she should mind her place. Nodding at him, the human female leaves in a huff.

IRollTwenties
    Spoiler
    Show

Manning the bilges, which is mostly repairing the pumps and ensure that it hasn't rusted up, is long and hard work. But like the people you are part of, it is no different from working a mine. Working dilligently and taking a break every so often, you finished the work in time.

HuskyBoi and Sarone
    Spoiler
    Show

As Harolds speaks, he places his hand on a bottle. Realizing it has something in it, Harold picks it up, only to see a label on it: Devil's Cut Fine Brandy. Sensing movement, 'Fishguts' looks over at Harold, then walks over.

A whistle escapes his lips as 'Fishguts' take a glance at it. "Thought that was sold a couple months back," 'Fishguts' says, before turning around and getting back to work. "Good to see you have a set of eyes on you, Harry. Anything you find, you can keep and use."

Smiling at Harry's luck, a quick glance by Ezekial finds a vial. Picking it up, Ezekial looks at the various symbols, seeing various sunbursts on. "Looks to be a vial of holy water. Useful in case we face undead." Putting it off to the side, Ezekial picks up the bottle of brandy.

Spoiler
    Show

Ezekial's Appraise Check (1d20+3)[14]

Squinting, Ezekial shrugs. "Not sure," he says, putting it down, "can't be a wholelot. MasterKroop, what happened to the rest of the brandy?"

"WHat do you think we did with it," 'Fishguts' says, looking back as he brings up the rum. "We drank it!"
    Last edited by Sarone; 2013-01-03 at 02:50 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sarone View Post
    ArchPaladin
    Spoiler
    Show

Whether it was time at home or time abroad, you quickly catch that his accent reminds you of those from Cheliax or it's colonies and contempories. Hell Harbor, located in the Shackles, is one such location, though you can't place precisely where he is from.

Though your attempt at repairing the ropes and sails has been difficult, the Mwangi female warms to your presence. "My name is Shivikah, and I am used to a hard life. Slaving was never an easy business, even among those who embraced it."

The young man, working better at repairs than you, listens in, though he keeps to himself.
    "Ah. Slaving. A common profession for those in my homeland. I'm a Qadiran. So where did you sail out of? Osirion? Jalmeray? Sargava?"

She pauses for a bit.

"Okenko?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Varya adopts a friendly tone - chatting idly while she works vapidly, though no care is put into the task, it's quite obvious she has done it before."and where did you come from Gareth? Shortstone? I'm a Korvosa native myself, but have been traveling several months now. Like you Shortstone, this Shanghai is a muddled blessing, I was short on funds and needed to get on a ship. On that note, do you know the Wormwood's course?"

21. - Top - End - #51

ArchPaladin
    Spoiler
    Show

Eyes narrowing, Shivikah goes back to work. "I don't know you that well, Qadiran," Shivikah says as se moves on to another sail, "and for someone to not tell me their name indicates distrust. Why should I trust you with more information than you are providing in turn?"

It is dusk before the bell is sound and the crew is brought up on the maindeck, where Mr. Plugg, Master Scourge, and those under Master Scourge are surrounding a disgruntled man who brought up from the bilges, paraded around.

"Just so that you all won't forget," Mr. Plugg says, walking around between the man and the assembled crew, "crime and slothness will be severely punished. However, those who at least try to make themselves useful," Mr. Plugg says, eyeing 'Lucky' Cas and Artazostra in particular, "can find their time easier."

Satisfied, Mr. Plugg looks up at the bridge, Captain Harrigan stands. "Jakes Magpie, you have been caugth stealing from the Quartermaster's Store twice before we reached Port Peril. Though you confessed to the crime, the punishment is still the same." Smirking at the crewman, Captain Harrigan leans forward and grips the rail in front. "Mr. Plugg, keelhaul this piece of filth. I want the barnacles to be scrubbed off my boat. May Besmara accept him in the sea."

Even though Jakes tries to struggle, Master Scourge and his cronies quickly bind the man's hands and feet and is thrown over the starboard side, his screams cutoff when he hits the water. With a nod by Mr. Plugg, Master Scourge and his cronies then grab the ropes on the portside, where the start pulling the ropes quickly.

After a minute of pulling the ropes, Jakes Magpie, or what's left of him, is pulled up. One of the ship's officers, a male human with carpenter's tool in his belt, approaches the remains, as does Ezekial, who breaks ranks from the crew. Even though it was obvious the man was dead, it was better to be sure. Both men look at each other, with the carpenter shaking his head.

"Let that be the lessen to you all," Mr. Plugg says, before nodding at the carpenter and Ezekial. "Throw the carcass over board."

As Ezekial and the carpenter untie the remains, Sandara comes over and says a prayer over the body, with the hope that Jakes' remains be undisturbed and restful. Putting the body on the rails, Ezekial intones a prayer to Pharasma as well, praying her judgement be lessened by the punishment brought forth by the Captain and his First Mate.

With it said and done, Ezekial and Harold then go back down to the galley with 'Fishguts' Kroop, heading back up with two pots of stew and ship's biscuit while Grok brings up pails of rum. As each person gets a bowl and a biscuit, Mr. Plugg ensures that each pirate fills a half-pint of the rum.

Rum Rations
    Spoiler
    Show

Used mostly for keeping the crew sated and docile, rum is key for most pirate crew to be kept from mutinying.

While most fo the crew willingly drinks the rations, some do not. A crewmember must make a stealth check to spill the rum overboard.

If drank, a character must make a Fortitude save in order to prevent becoming addicted as well as take 1d3 points of Con Damage from drinking the rum as well as be fatigued for 1d8 hours. The benefit is a +1d4 Alchemical bonus to Charisma. (Make the Fortitude Save before rolling for Con Damage)

Taking additional actions while fatigued adds to the DC for being fatigued the next day (4 hours or greater from the fatigue check from the rum; stacks if your get fatigued during the day).

Ezekial's Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Fortitude Save: (1d20+3)[7]
    Con Damage (1d3)[2]
    Fatigued for (1d8)[8] hours
    Alchemical Bonus to Charisma (1d4)[3]

Though Ezekial feels good, he realizes his original plans, taking the remains of the stew and biscuits down to the galley to start cleaning up. He comes up every so often to get dishes and a break.

Ezekial's Nighttime Action: Clean Galley

Cleaning the Galley
    Spoiler
    Show

Cleaning the Galley requires time, patience, and a know how of what needs to be done. A Profession (Cook), Survival, or Intelligence check is required for each half hour of cleaning. A Survival check is required to get the goats caged up again.

Perception can be made every so often with the above checks as well.

During this time, Grok shows the recruits the lockers to the keys down in the crew deck. While each locker has a hammock, some rope, and a light blanket,there are additional stuff that either was ignored or left behind.

ArchPaladin
    Spoiler
    Show

Under the rolled up hammock and blanket you find bullseye lantern and a fancy peacock feather. Picking up the lantern reveals it isn't empty but it isn't filled with oil; a quick check reveals 6 gold pieces the oil compartment, probably hidden there by the previous owner.

MorbisMeh
    Spoiler
    Show

As you lift up the blanket, you noticed that is is a bit heavier than expected. Taking precautions, you go off to the a corner to see what you find and discover that this person clearly wasn't searched to well; in addition to 17 gold pieces, you find a gold earing and 2 small hematites woth about 10 gold each.

King Tius
    Spoiler
    Show

As you move the hammock around, you notice a vial with sunburst symbols sitting on top of the blanket, under the hammock. lifting it up, you notice a small silver ring worth about 5 gold and and a small agate worth about 10 gold. Under the blanket you find 2 gold pieces.

HuskyBoi
    Spoiler
    Show

Sitting on top of the hammock is a wooden flute, probably used by the previous occupant for entertainment. Under the blanket is 3 gold pieces and a green flask with work acid etched into the glass.

IRoll Twenties
    Spoiler
    Show

Lifting up the hammock, you notice four pieces of gold lying among the blanket and chest. You also find a well crafted needle used in working with either leather or cloth objects, though it is only part of a set.

Sanguine Penguin
    Spoiler
    Show

Opening the locker, you find a small xylophone on top of the hammock. Picking both items up, you find a bottle of wine, Andoran White, on top of the blanket and 2 gold pieces.

Rhyvurg
    Spoiler
    Show

Picking up the hammock, wrapped object with a finely crafted, curved needle holding the cloth in place. Unwrapping it, you see a stone covered in runes along with 16 gold pieces in the wrapping, which has been destroyed, and in the chest. The curved needle looks to be part of a set used for both leather and cloth objects.

Sarone
    Spoiler
    Show

Opening the locker, there is a carefully sealed pouch with with splotched of tar on it. Carefully putting it aside, a quick glance shows finely crafted needle in the blanket, while lifting it shows four gold pieces and two hematites worth 10 gold each.

OOC:
    (I'm going to hold off moving forward until Sunday/Monday night unless majority says otherwise.

Note: While the needles aren't worth much seperately, together the various needles count as masterwork tools for leatherworking and tailoring. The can also be used to give a +1 bonus to taks involving sails and such, but only as a whole (only one person can benefit from the set at a time).

Hope you enjoy the update.)
    Last edited by Sarone; 2013-01-04 at 01:37 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

22. - Top - End - #52

Harold gives a cheer as the rum ration is handed out. This might not be an ideal voyage to be on, but if there's rum, he'll be a happy man for now! He happily takes his share.

Fort save for drinking
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[8]

After having his share, he gets down to help Ezekial cleaning the galley.

Rolls for cleaning.
    Spoiler
    Show

Survival check to round up those blasted goats: (1d20+5)[24]

As he works, Harry keeps an eye out for more odds and sods about the galley.

Profession: Cook (1d20+5)[8] Perception (1d20+5)[8]
    Profession: Cook (1d20+5)[15] Perception (1d20+5)[12]
    Profession: Cook (1d20+5)[24] Perception (1d20+5)[11]
    Profession: Cook (1d20+5)[20] Perception (1d20+5)[21]

Profession: Cook (1d20+5)[11] Perception (1d20+5)[13]
    Profession: Cook (1d20+5)[10] Perception (1d20+5)[16]
    Profession: Cook (1d20+5)[17] Perception (1d20+5)[7]
    Profession: Cook (1d20+5)[21] Perception (1d20+5)[8]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Gareth stows these items in his pockets and finds the quartermaster, holding out his rum. "Drink?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sarone View Post
    Eyes narrowing, Shivikah goes back to work. "I don't know you that well, Qadiran," Shivikah says as se moves on to another sail, "and for someone to not tell me their name indicates distrust. Why should I trust you with more information than you are providing in turn?"
    "It sounds more dignified than Artazostra bint Rusmanya. And I don't want to go spreading it around in case someone on board might know of my father. He was sailing through the Shackles to Sargava about a year ago when he disappeared. I came here looking to find him...and to escape marriage to an odious Kelish sheikh."
    "Just so that you all won't forget," Mr. Plugg says, walking around between the man and the assembled crew, "crime and slothness will be severely punished. However, those who at least try to make themselves useful," Mr. Plugg says, eyeing 'Lucky' Cas and Artazostra in particular, "can find their time easier."
    "Note his mangling of slothfulness?" The Qadiran whispers to whoever is standing next to her.

"He only pretends to education."

Her snide smile fades quickly when she sees Mr. Plugg's efficient brutality, though. She tears into her food and rum like she's starving, desperate to get the image of Jakes' mangled body out of her mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude Save: (1d20+2)[9]
    CON Damage: (1d3)[3]
    Fatigue: (1d8)[2]
    Alchemical Bonus to CHA: (1d4)[4]

After slurping down the last of her rum, she belches and tries to find an open space to dance.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2013-01-04 at 05:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

After a dull day of pointless beatings, draconian keelhaulings and mindless labor, Varya takes her rum ration eagerly. "Bottoms up!" she briefly raises her cup in a toast to rum.

RUM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude: (1d20+3)[5] edit: Oh man, more awful rolls... that just means her luck is about to turn!!!
    Con Dam: (1d3)[3]
    Fatigue: (1d8)[5]
    Cha bonus: (1d4)[4]

Upon receiving her locker, Varya admires the wine, pockets the gold and stares quizzically at the xylophone. She chimes it with her finger once, rotates it before her eyes, sniffs it cautiously. What in the nine hells...

Rather inebriated and slightly bored, she approaches some of the other pirates with a grin, adopting a roguish countenance, "know of any games of chance to pass the time?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Varya will gamble with her 2 gold!

26. - Top - End - #56

HuskyBoi and Sarone
    Spoiler
    Show

Though it takes a few hours, the galley is noticeably better looking; trash and half rotten food has been taken care of, the three goats are back in their cage which was further secured by Harold.

Unfortunately, for as much effort was put in, there was still more work needed. Roughly half of the Galley has been cleaned, with Harold being able to clean an additional surface to Ezekial's; however, Ezekial's luck held through, with a the growing bounty items and weapons that he has found.

Ezekial's Discoveries
    Spoiler
    Show

3x Daggers with sheaths
    3x Waterskins
    2 Silver Pieces
    Bottle of Magnificient Rum

Searching next to a clogged basin, Harold finds a number of items.

Harold's Discoveries
    Spoiler
    Show

2 Silver Pieces
    Handaxe
    2x Pounds of Soap
    Bottle of Chelish Brandy (Devil's Cut Fine Brandy)

Stretching after cleaning, Ezekial looks at the goods he found and scratches his head. "Not bad for our first night on the job," Ezekial says, still feeling the rum from earlier still coursing through his veins. "And looks like we can arm ourselves as well, in case any one tries anything. What do you think, Harry?"

Rhyvurg
    Spoiler
    Show

When you hold your mug to Grok for the rum, the half-orc laughs. "You have lots of guts, young swab," the hal-orc says as she turns to go. "You just take it from the pail."

Doing as she says, you notice that not everyone drinks the rum. Your time in Port Peril reinforces what alot of people know; rum is used to sedate and calm a crew, particularly ones that can be mutinous. It also causes damage to the body, though it does cause people to get more loose. Considering what is going on, it has it's drawbacks and benefits.

(OOC: Going to need to know what you do with your rum ration as well as your action for tonight.)

ArchPaladin
    Spoiler
    Show

From Earlier
    "If someone seeks you," Shivikah says as she continues working, "then luck must be on their side to find you here. Otherwise, as long as you keep your head down, you should have little to fear, Arty."

As the last bit of rum hits you blood, you feel loosen and start to dance, letting the noise of the ship, the sounds of the breeze, and the variety of voices to speak into you. When 'Lucky' Cas starts spinning a tale of the see, you use it's story to further augment your own dancing.

(OOC: With your roll of 14, +2 from the Rum, and assistance from 'Lucky' Cas, you managed to get the attention of several of the male sailors on Wormwood. Unfortunately, a practiced eye at these situations mean that several of the female crew are a bit put off by the attention you are getting. While there is no shift tonight, you gain a +2 to influence checks with male sailors and -2 to influence checks to female sailors for the next 24 hours.)

Morbis Meh
    Spoiler
    Show

(OOC: I need to know what you are doing with your rum (spill it or drink).)

After dinner, 'Lucky' Cas starts speaking, spinning a tale of the sea. Unfortunately, few sailors pay attention to it, though it does help with Artazostra's performance, providing a rythm and words to her hypnotic dancing. Though she might notice the scowls from the various female sailors, the female human called Aretta, her arms crossed over her chest, is staring with seething anger at the Qadiran while the two male sailors, one human and another half-orc, stare wistfully at and the way she moves. Another female human, sitting across from the group, eyes Qadiran with a mixture of anger and fear as well, her hand on a dagger that she is sharpening on whet stone.

Sanguine Penguin
    Spoiler
    Show

(OOC: A xylophone is a percussion instrument wooden bars that are struck by mallets. Each bar corresponds to a different note. The one you have has about nine bars on it.)

As you state you desire for games of chance, a quick scan reveals a few sailors arm wresting on top of a barrel with caltrops on top of it, another group lobbing what looks like bar down the deck, and a few trying to out drink each other. Very few seem to be looking for more mundane games of chance.

Favorite Merc Maxims

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Varya sighs disappointedly at the boorish pirate games. This crew didn't seem terribly fun overall. Looking about, she finds the half-orc, Grok. Varya smiles and introduces herself, "name's Varya. As quartermaster, you must have a deck of cards, right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, gambling doesn't look fun to Varya - so let's use this new found charisma to persuade.

Diplomancy: (1d20+2)[20] - about time I get a decent roll

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

"Drinking got me into this mess, don't see a reason to repeat old mistakes." He sets the mug aside, not really caring what happens to it now. "So, what exactly made the captain so desperate for crew he'd resort to press-ganging?"
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2013-01-05 at 03:15 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Sanguine Penguin and Rhyvurg (though every one except HuskyBoi and Sarone sees this)

When Varya asks Grok about a deck of cards, the half-orc gives a toothy smile. "Actually, I do have one that I normally keep around," Grok says, opening up a pouch and pulling out a worn deck, "though I believe we should just play with out money. Very few people like to play if they wind up being a sore loser."

As she moves to an unoccupied barrel with two boxes nearby, Grok starts shuffling the cards. "While I do like the armwrestling and Hog Lob, and heave is nice when I'm in a drinking mood, cards is a good way to blow off steam as well."

Before she takes her seat, Gareth walks up to her, setting the mug on the rail. When he states his question, Grok's face turns a dark gray and her eyes flare as a snarl forms on her face. Grabbing the mug, she then splashes it in his face. "Rigger, I suggest you be mindful of who you ask questions about and to whom you expect an answer. I am not some lowly swab that must bend over backwards for you." Shoving the mug into Gareth's chest, she pushes him back a step. "Now, go get another rum ration. The crime for being caught dumping or selling it is six lashes. Do you want to end up liek your dwarf friend?"

Sitting down, Grok sets the deck on the top of the barrel and looks at Varya. "Deck check."

Favorite Merc Maxims

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The magus fails to suppress a smirk as the half-orc rebukes her fellow rigger. She was right to chat with Grok - seems more like her sort than the bulk of the crew. Varya checks the deck as she says, "a friendly game with no money is fine by me. Go ahead and deal..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming a few rounds of cards, then to bed.

EVENING ACTIONS COMPLETE