New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Sarone's Skull and Shackles: The Wormwood Mutiny: IC

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    "You are going to be there a long time, I will have to bathe eventually."
    Cas smirks and tightens her grip "I am glad you bathe, remember I prefer lavender scented soap and bubbles lots and lots of bubbles!"
    Blarg...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

The Qadiran chuckles as Gareth's dignity is undercut by Cas' stubborn insistence on being friendly.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Gareth stares at the bulkhead, a twitch developing under his right eye, and says nothing.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Smirking at what is going, 'Fishguts' finishes his dinner. "Like I said, that's the plan. As far as Captain Harrigan is concerned, if he doesn't have to get involved, he won't."

"I'm getting done in here," Grok calls out to the rest of the group as she completes reorganizing. "And there are a few magic items in here as well, though I doubt any one can afford any of it."

"I'll take a look," Ezekial says. "I have a few things to trade in. Would I be able to get a loan of gear, as well? I'll pay you back as soon as I get paid. Well, if I survive long enough to get paid."

"Depends on how much. Though you being a cook assistant, I'm sure you can whip something up that is tasty." Grok says as she considers how much the cook assistant might be worth. "For now, though, I'd say 150 gold pieces might be enough."

"Excellent. We also found this barrel of wine as well. I figured we can keep it safe if you take it in."

"I'm fairly certain the Captain would like that. Even if it's a poor quality, it can still be a nice distraction."

Helping getting the barrrel in, Ezekial looks for a minute, asking to see the thieves tools, the flasks of alchemicts fire, acid, and holy water, and the various potions and scrolls.

"Hey Binderal and Varya, you two want to check out the scrolls?" Ezekial looks over at the elf and swordswoman, seeing if they were interested in the information. Looking through the thieves tools, Ezekial notices that one set has more and better tools. "I don't think this is a regular set of theieves tools."

Looking over at the set of tools, Grok shrugs. "I'll remember next time. They'll be regular price for you this time."

Nodding, Ezkial sets aside the thieves tools, potion of cure light wounds, a flask of acid, a flask of holy water, and two flasks of alchemist fire. "Never know when we might need some help with various situations."

(OOC: Last call for getting gear and such. Next move update will be in 22 hours or so.)
    Last edited by Sarone; 2013-01-26 at 02:13 AM.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"I would, but I'm basically broke," Varya announces. As a longshot she asks, "how much is this tiny xylophone worth to you?"

6. - Top - End - #156

MINOR UPDATE: 10 Hours til move on

Looking at the instruement, Grok shrugs. "25 silver for it," she says as she takes down how much and what kind of gear Ezekial was taking out as a loan. "Though you can take a loan out. Aren't you one of recruits who use a spell book?"

Spoiler
    Show

OOC:

Diplomacy/Charisma check:
    DC 5 for getting a simple loan of 150 GP
    DC 15 for getting a major loan of 300 GP (if Grok gets audited, she could get keelhauled for theft)

As always, it's based on my interpretation of the dice rolls and how well you roleplay (that means being nice and not being a pain in the rear, Rhyvurg ).
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Varya smiles as she hands over the xylophone, "alright, I'll bite, what scrolls have you got?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20)[9]

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

The Qadiran rummages through the arms and armor, hoping to find some proper protection.

"Grok, what would it cost if I traded in my leathers for one of these chain shirts? I can be quick when I have to, but my figure doesn't exactly lend itself to catlike combat reflexes. I'd prefer to have as much protection as possible without messing up my spells. I may also want to look into this crossbow here."

She hoped to Calistria that the armor wouldn't need refitting. Even before she'd arrived in Port Peril and feasted herself into being press-ganged it had been getting tight, and while she wasn't ashamed of her body, being too fat to wear armor was kind of an embarrassment for an adventurer.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2013-01-26 at 02:28 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #159

Nodding, Grok places the scrolls on the counter. Looking through it, you see the scrolls for the following:

scroll of cure moderate wounds
    scroll of mage armor
    scroll of magic missile
    scroll of scorching ray
    scroll of summon swarm

Spoiler
    Show

Scrolls cost at the standard rate for magic items.

As Varye looks through the scrolls, Grok stands nearby, keeping an eye on them.

Hearing Artazostra's request, Grok shrugs. "The chain shirt can help you, especially if you trade in the leather armor, though the crossbow is a bit out of reach. Unless you can get someone to get loaned to them, and then for you."

Spoiler
    Show

5 Gold for the leather amor. Need a Diplomacy/Charisma check in order to get the Chainshirt/crossbow.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2013-01-26 at 02:35 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Varya looks through the scrolls, pausing only on the scorching ray. "I might come back for that one," she says as she slides them back to Grok.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Binderal looks at the scrolls carefully, deciding which would be best to add to his armament. He offers up the holy water and other items he found in his bunk as possible trade-ins for a scroll.

"Here's a deal for you: This vial of holy water, this agate, this silver ring, and 10 gold for the scrolls of Magic Missile and Scorching Ray."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Varya says to Binderal, "don't worry about magic missile. I'll let you copy that from me."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

"I happen to have at least a little gold on me. It was in a lantern I found wrapped up in my bedroll on my first night here, apparently left behind by its previous owner. And I found some more money in the bilges the other day when I was working them with Aretta. If I were to sell you the lantern and my leathers, as well as hand over the money I've scraped together here, would it be enough for the chain at least? Forget the crossbow for now, I'm better with my scimitar anyway."

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma: (1d20+2)[16]
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2013-01-27 at 12:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Binderal turns to Varya, pocketing his items as a huge smile of wonder spreads across his face. "I...I had no idea there was another magic user on board! We MUST compare spellbooks! Where are my manners. Binderal Sellen, at your humble service." He bows low, quickly getting back up and drawing closer to Varya, the scrolls all but forgotten. "Where did you receive your training? I've not met many other practitioners of the Art since I left the academy."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

15. - Top - End - #165

Pursing her lips, Grok considers, then writes down something on the pad. "What's your name," Grok asks, looking up at Artazostra. When Artazostra says her name, Grok gives the half elf a blank stare, then writes down a shorter name. "Do you mind if I call you Arty? You all go by long names it seems."

Looking back up, Grok walks over to Arty. "I'll take the Leather armor off you, but I'll put it on your tab. That way you can pay me back when we hit port. Or before then."

Done with talking with Arty, Grok looks at Binderal and Varya talking. "Seems like you two are getting along. Fact you two use a spellbook is good. Just remember, the scrolls should be here if you need them."

As the three recruits talk and barter, Ezekial is going through his formulae book, taking various components out of his kit and mixing the substances together.

Spoiler
    Show

Bomber's Eye
    Shield

Hearing Varya and Binderal, Ezekial speaks up. "Though you might not be able to use my book, I can use your notes and help make additional potions and extracts to help us in battle. At least, that's my view of it. What do you think?"

As the group finish with the stuff, Grok closes shop, though she stays in to rearrange her shop. Likewise, 'Fishguts' starts cleaning the skillet and utnsils he used. "You all head back, ok. Don't want Master Scourge to get suspicious."

Nodding, the recruits head out of the Galley, though Ezekial grabs a small plate and puts some food on it. When 'Fishguts' looks at him, Ezekial smiles and does his best evil laugh. "As the ship's assistant cook and resident mad scientist, I have two words for the crew: Guinea pigs. Muahahaha."

Turning to the others, Ezekial quickly readjusts his statement. "Ok, maybe not that mad. More like a few screws loose." He then quickly gets his gear setup for being taken out, but leaves the armor and crossbow there. "You all can leave it in here. I'll be coming back here to clean up again anyway."

As thr group head out the door, 'Lucky' Cas and Harry stop when they hear movement. Taking a lamp, they shine in the direct of a set of bales of barley, seeing a group of large rats between the bulkhead and the bales. The light and movement cause the rodents to stop...

Turning, the group of rats hiss, their red eyes glittering as the light hits them. Clearly, these rats don't scurry and hide when faced with intruders.

(ArchPaladin, Morbis, Husky, and Sarone)
    Spoiler
    Show

The rats are dire rats. You know that though Wormwood has rats and such, it didn't have dire rats. This means they gotten on the ship somehow, probably though cargo or such.

Untamed Dire rats also have filth fever from their bites. There are numerous cases and stories of whole crew dying to the rodents. And if there's one, there's probably more.

(OOC: Morbis Meh and Husky Boi have initiative and can act in the surprise round before the dire rats. There are six dire rats among the boxes and other cargo. Morbis Meh and Husky Boi, please have your actions for surprise round, then it's be the rats. After that, the rest of the group can act. Except for Morbis Meh and Husky Boi, everyone else is flatfooted.)

Favorite Merc Maxims

16. - Top - End - #166

Harry wastes no time- if anything, he probably reacted slightly out of panic- and hefts his newly-returned battle axe in two hands, takes a few steps forwards, and brings it smashing down on the nearest rat!

Spoiler
    Show

Move action to head forwards, draw the axe, and make an attack holding it in two hands:
    Attack: (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12]

Crit confirmation: (1d20+5)[25]
    Crit extra damage: (2d8+8)[19]

17. - Top - End - #167

Cas shrieks with disgust and lets go of the disgruntled brawler "Oh gods, I hate rats, especially rats big enough to swallow me whole!" The little gnome begins chanting and moving her fingers conjuring forth a... bird? "Eat this and leave me be you foul rodents!" The eagle lashes out at the rat closet to lucky

Spoiler
    Show
    ...So summon monster 1 which summons an eagle which will attack and disappear right after but at least it gets three attacks!
    Talon (1d20+3)[17]
    damage (1d4)[2]
    Talon (1d20+3)[11]
    damage (1d4)[4]
    Bite (1d20+3)[4]
    damage (1d4)[2]
    Blarg...

18. - Top - End - #168

With a bit too much strength, Harry brings the battle axe down on one of the rats, cleaving it in half, before the oversized rodent realized what had happened.

Sensing urgency, 'Lucky' Cas quickly tries and summon an Eagle. Able to cast with out too much trouble, 'Lucky' Cas keeps conjuring the spell when the rodents move to each of the PCs, though another rat died by Harry's hand when it went too close to him.

Quickly, each rodent tries to attack another recruit, trying to stay out of Harry's reach.

Drawing his dagger, Ezekial tries to stab the rodent that squares off against him.

Spoiler
    Show

Ezekial's Attack Roll (1d20+1)[8]
    Ezekial's Damage if it hits (1d4+1)[2]

In event of 19 or 20 (20/21 for the result) (1d20+1)[8]
    If it confirms, (1d4+1)[2]

Favorite Merc Maxims

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Falling into a dueling stance, Varya draws her recently repossessed cutlass. With the blade in hand, she concentrates a moment to force some of her magic into the edge. When an opening presents itself, she lashes her blade at the rat encroaching her.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Draw cutlass
    Swift: Arcane Pool
    Standard: Attack
    Attack: (1d20+4)[16] Damage: (1d6+4)[7]

Buffs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Pool: +1 weapon 9/10 rounds remaining

Summary:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Varya
    HP: 12/12 AC: 16, 13 Touch, 14 Flatfooted.
    Saves: +3 Fortitude, +2 Reflex, +1 Will.
    Spells:
    0th: Acid Splash, Daze, Detect Magic
    1st: Color Spray, Hydraulic Push
    Arcane Pool: 3/4

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Gareth sends up a silent prayer to finally be free of the clingy gnome and unslings his shield, mentally kicking himself for stowing the armor. Thankfully, he wasn't one of those people who used weapons that had to be put away. Closing a spiked, leather-wrapped fist, Gareth throws a haymaker at the rat in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[20] Power Attack (-1)
    (1d4+4)[8] Damage if he hits

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

The Qadiran draws her scimitar, its familiar weight comfortable in her hand. She swings at the dire rat nearest to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+1)[10]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

22. - Top - End - #172

Cas backs away from the rat and waves her fingers while blubbering loudly, bringing forth another eagle which tears into the threat.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 ft step then summon monster I eagle will full attack and disappear again.

Talon 1 (1d20+3)[8]
    damage (1d4)[2]
    Talon 2 (1d20+3)[6]
    damage (1d4)[2]
    Bite 1 (1d20+3)[9]
    damage (1d4)[4]

Blarg...

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Rugnar

Drawing a small hammer the dwarf moves in and strikes the nearest rat.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[7] to hit
    (1d4+3)[7] damage

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Binderal quickly steps about as needed to find the optimal position to unleash his spell. When he's sure he can get most of the rats (and hopefully not too many allies) he casts Sleep.

If effects 4 HD of creatures with a DC 16 Will Save to negate.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2013-01-31 at 07:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

25. - Top - End - #175

As the Dire Rats move to strike, the magic from Binderal's spell causes the hostile rodents to fall unconscious at the recruits feet. Looking at each other and at Binderal, then back at the rats.

Seeing this was as good of a time as ever, Ezekial sticks his dagger into the oversized rodent at his feet.

As the others do what they will to their rodents, 'Fishguts' Kroop and 'Cut-Throat' Grok storm out of the galley, weapons drawn. A quick look around by 'Fishguts' indicates his displeasure. "Zeke, Harry, what in the seven seas happened here? Where did these oversized critters come from?"

After looking at the other, Ezekial shrugs. "I don't know, Master Kroop, Master Grok. We were walking out when Harry and 'Lucky' Cas saw them, then the rats attacked us. They were along that wall behind the bales." As he speaks, Ezekial points in the direction of where the rodents came from.

Favorite Merc Maxims

26. - Top - End - #176

"We should check, in case there's more. There might be a whole nest of them back there"Harry says.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Agreed!" Varya dashes forward, sword drawn, eager to dispatch more vermin and stretch her martial muscles.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Gareth is fast on her heels, there might be a lot of them.

29. - Top - End - #179

Cas looks incrediously at the eager pair "Well ta ta, have fun stabbing parasite ridden varmits... I am going to go over here and sterilize myself, oh how I hate the big rats!"
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

"Finally, a chance to use my spells! I'm probably better suited to hunting rats instead of working the bilge, so I'll tag along."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing