New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Optimized Pathfinder Fighter

What are some ideas for optimizing a Pathfinder fighter between levels 5-7? My character idea is of a high interlligence sword user, possibly with a focus on one or two CMs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Optimized Pathfinder Fighter

I have little experience with Fighters in general (in 3.5, I was a ToB guy myself).

HOWEVER. Rogue Eidolon has an excellent guide here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/commu...de-to-fighters

Moreover, don't concern yourself with Intelligence overly much. If you're going Combat Expertise (if I recall correctly), you don't need more than 13 or some such. If you're worried about being a BSF from an RP standpoint, don't play your character that way (12 is above-average intelligence anyways).

Look into archetypes for what you want to do.

Previously, fighters did really well with specialization. They still do. Try looking into a trip, sunder, or two-handed specialization build. From a creation standpoint, there are a lot of options for specializing into something as a fighter, such as tanking, damage, and combat maneuvers.
    Last edited by Lazij Scalesong; 2012-12-22 at 04:21 AM.
    Current 'Bold characters: Tik-Tak, Pathfinder Magus, level 5
    Iskilix, Sorcerer 5

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If you do go high int, I suggest also going with decent dex, and choosing the Duelist PRC(though You can only take one level at seven, it's better than a level of armour training), and the Dervish Dance feat, which allows you to use a scimitar for the Duelist class features.

As for combat maneuvers, the ones generally focussed on are Trip or Disarm, though It might be interesting to see a feinter.

All that said, the Magus might be a better fit for a high-int swordsman, and there is an arcana to make up for his CMB/D failings.

4. - Top - End - #4

BardGuy

Well for knocking things down...

The Dwarven Foehammer racial Fighter variant that is fun to play.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-r...-fighter-dwarf

Hammer to the ground and groundbreaker are just fuuun.

Really the pathfinder fighter is on the same level as the 3.5 fighter, he may have more toys but those toys don't bump his effectiveness by to much.

Now if they made Fighter Bonus Feats on par with Rage Powers and Rogue Talents (and boosted those two as well) you could make all three of those classestier 3 and no need to optimize that much.

5. - Top - End - #5

The Lore Warden archetype sounds perfect for you. More focus on Int, and very nice bonuses to Combat Maneuvers and easier access to the corresponding feats.