New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: The Newest Warlock Handbook [3.5]

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    It's still better to shoot as a standard... it's a touch attack that way.
    Probably, I'm just pointing out that Hideous Blow is not entirely terrible. IF, for some reason, you wanted to do a 'Belmont' build taking advantage of Scout and Warlock combined to add a ridiculous number of d6's of damage to attacks with an enchanted whip, Hideous Blow is an option to increase the damage on your chosen weapon.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicVitriol View Post
    Probably, I'm just pointing out that Hideous Blow is not entirely terrible. IF, for some reason, you wanted to do a 'Belmont' build taking advantage of Scout and Warlock combined to add a ridiculous number of d6's of damage to attacks with an enchanted whip, Hideous Blow is an option to increase the damage on your chosen weapon.
    The bolded part is the only redeeming quality here. Ghost Touch is one that comes to mind that triumphs over the regular shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

You could, but keep in mind that it also eats an invocation slot.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eloel View Post
    The bolded part is the only redeeming quality here. Ghost Touch is one that comes to mind that triumphs over the regular shots.
    I like the ones that force subsequent saves as well. Lightburst, Cursespewing, etc.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You could, but keep in mind that it also eats an invocation slot.
    As does Eldritch Glaive. My only point was that EG is not UNIVERSALLY superior, only MOSTLY superior. There is a spot in some build for HB, rare and situational as it may be.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

AH-HA!

I saw 2 Warlock handbooks on the front page, opened both to compare them, became thoroughly confused, then noticed ThiagoMartell is banned (pity, that; I liked him).

Anyway. I've always liked Warlocks. Looking forward to updates.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    AH-HA!
    Looking forward to updates.
    If you want update, argue with this man. I'll update based on the results.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you want update, argue with this man. I'll update based on the results.
    Ah. I just noticed a few things were blank, and there's no mention of gear, for example. I don't mean changing things already in place.

Pity there's no official Totemist/Warlock PrC (to my knowledge).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

One thing the handbook does have incorrect about hideous blow is this:
    With Concentration checks to avoid attacks of opportunity being as easy as they are, this somehow manages to be worse than simply using an unshaped Eldritch Blast at point blank.
    Concentration can only eliminate the opportunity attack provoked by spellcasting; it doesn't help you if you're making a ranged attack. An unshaped eldritch blast provokes an attack of opportunity even if you cast it defensively. Hideous blow doesn't.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2015-04-07 at 07:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post

Concentration can only eliminate the opportunity attack provoked by spellcasting; it doesn't help you if you're making a ranged attack. An unshaped eldritch blast provokes an attack of opportunity even if you cast it defensively. Hideous blow doesn't.
    Are you suggesting one provokes two AoOs from an enemy with Combat Reflexes, just for shooting an EB?
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ah. I just noticed a few things were blank, and there's no mention of gear, for example. I don't mean changing things already in place.

There is not. Which is a shame, because both are excellent classes for 1- and 2- level dips.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

By that logic, a sorcerer defensively casting a Scorching Ray would still provoke an attack of opportunity. I don't think it quite works that way. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

You can get into Anima Mage with early entry cheese. With the CL=EB ruling from the writer, you don't miss out on much.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicVitriol View Post
    By that logic, a sorcerer defensively casting a Scorching Ray would still provoke an attack of opportunity.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Concentration skill
    You can use Concentration to cast a spell, use a spell-like ability, or use a skill defensively, so as to avoid attacks of opportunity altogether. This doesn't apply to other actions that might provoke attacks of opportunity.
    You can cast a spell defensively to avoid provoking an attack of opportunity, but if you then make a ranged attack (or unarmed attack, or disarm attempt, etc.) as part of the spell, you still provoke.

Are you suggesting one provokes two AoOs from an enemy with Combat Reflexes, just for shooting an EB?
    That seems like a poor tactical decision. One should probably take a five-foot step first, to get out of their threatened area.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You can get into Anima Mage with early entry cheese. With the CL=EB ruling from the writer, you don't miss out on much.
    I believe Ur-Priest is another easy early-entry from Warlock. Too bad the Eldritch Disciple's entry requirements preclude Ur-Lock Disciple synergy

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

That seems like a poor tactical decision. One should probably take a five-foot step first, to get out of their threatened area.
    Because enemies with combat reflexes never have reach.

You do not "cast a spell" and then "make a ranged attack". The touch attack is part of the spell, which means if the spell is defensive, you don't get AoO'd.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

You do not "cast a spell" and then "make a ranged attack". The touch attack is part of the spell, which means if the spell is defensive, you don't get AoO'd.
    I mean, can you quote a rule that explicitly says this?

I'll concede that it's not written clearly, but I think most DMs would rule it my way.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I mean, can you quote a rule that explicitly says this?

I'll concede that it's not written clearly, but I think most DMs would rule it my way.
    Touch Attacks
    Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.
    Rule 1- Touch attacks do not provoke AoO.
    Rule 2- Touch attacks come in two flavors, melee and ranged.
    Combined: Ranged touch attacks do not provoke AoO

This is my reading of it, either way.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of rules lawyering, where does it say that EB is an invocation? The text in CArc indicates it's an ability and not an invocation (which are mentioned seperately). Nowehere does it say that EB's trigger AoO's, as opposed to Invocations, which are explicitly stated to trigger AoO's. Now all you need is PBS to eliminate the melee range penalty and you're golden.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

20. - Top - End - #290
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rule 1- Touch attacks do not provoke AoO.
    Rule 2- Touch attacks come in two flavors, melee and ranged.
    Combined: Ranged touch attacks do not provoke AoO

This is my reading of it, either way.
    By that reading, attacking with a bow should not provoke either, because you are clearly armed. No, that makes no sense - ranged attacks provoke, touch or no touch, and so does using an SLA.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    By that reading, attacking with a bow should not provoke either, because you are clearly armed. No, that makes no sense - ranged attacks provoke, touch or no touch, and so does using an SLA.
    Attacking with a bow is clearly not a ranged touch attack. There are cases where it targets touch AC, but it doesn't make it a ranged touch attack.

22. - Top - End - #292

Attacking with a bow is clearly not a ranged touch attack. There are cases where it targets touch AC, but it doesn't make it a ranged touch attack.
    Irrelevant - your quote above about not provoking is due to being armed. This implies that being armed with any ranged attack will not provoke, when that is not the case. But since you're looking for the phrase "ranged touch attack" - by your reasoning, throwing a net should not provoke either.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Irrelevant - your quote above about not provoking is due to being armed. This implies that being armed with any ranged attack will not provoke, when that is not the case. But since you're looking for the phrase "ranged touch attack" - by your reasoning, throwing a net should not provoke either.
    The said text is under the Touch Spells in Combat header. Net was not a spell the last time I checked, so that paragraph is irrelevant to nets.

24. - Top - End - #294

The said text is under the Touch Spells in Combat header. Net was not a spell the last time I checked, so that paragraph is irrelevant to nets.
    EB is not a spell either, so it is equally irrelevant to your header.

EB in melee provokes twice - once for being an SLA, and once for being a ranged attack.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

EB is not a spell either, so it is equally irrelevant to your header.

EB in melee provokes twice - once for being an SLA, and once for being a ranged attack.
    A SLA, by definition, is like a spell.

26. - Top - End - #296

A SLA, by definition, is like a spell.
    Indeed, and SLAs provoke, as do ranged attacks (touch or not.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Ranged touch spells don't require you to touch the opponent. If they did, they'd be melee touch spells.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Indeed, and SLAs provoke, as do ranged attacks (touch or not.)
    Noone is saying you can't houserule it that way.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

It's a guide, so I can't.

With that in mind, does something in the guide need to be changed?

30. - Top - End - #300

Ahh, the passive-aggressive "your stance is a houserule" post. GitP bingo!

Tell you what - when you find a page reference that contradicts DMG 290, RC 8 and PHB 24/135, do get back to me.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy