New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Bring me your unusual, bizarre and exotic weapons.

That entirely depends on what you're trying to imagine.

In most RPGs, it works just as well.

In actual reality, or more 'realistic' RPG, shields are neither cowardly, "bulky boards to hide behind" nor combat has anything to do with LARPS.

Instead shields were pretty much basic and ubiquitous mean of fighting since most of human recorded history.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Dwarf Bread
    That's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    That entirely depends on what you're trying to imagine.

In most RPGs, it works just as well.

In actual reality, or more 'realistic' RPG, shields are neither cowardly, "bulky boards to hide behind" nor combat has anything to do with LARPS.

Instead shields were pretty much basic and ubiquitous mean of fighting since most of human recorded history.
    Yes, LARP-fights are not accurate but the ones I fought were full contact and you could swing your weapon as fast as you could because all weapons used were soft and didn't injure you. Sure, the weight of the weapons was off and the damage rules weren't completely accurate (solid hit to torso: dead, solid hit to limb: can't use it, head:no effect, so don't aim to it) but I think it's good enough if you want to avoid actual bloodshed. It was still about reaction speed and instinct. Sword fighting principles worked there. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck but is actually a goose, it still makes as good meal.

Also, even in 'realistic' RPGs or reality, I wouldn't pick a shield, if I could have a two handed sword... unless there were a lot of archers on the other side.
    Reach is just that good, just like TheThan's first shield-fighting video showed us. As is more strength.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2012-12-28 at 03:40 PM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Dueling shield: an oblong, shield usable in one or two hands, with spikes all around. Gives you a bonus for not moving outside of your 5-foot-square

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9VG4ClQcJk

You already know meteor hammer, but here's a video any way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLoE6zTZyyU

Star Trek Bat'leth
    you could also call is "Sun Moon Kin Quan Dao" like the gentleman in this video does. I don't know what his deal is, but he does lots of martial arts and seems to have enough money around that he can order custom weapons based on (I believe) his own designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-UVcI_uaxI

Killing Pen of the Hell Judge, which actually is more or less a masterwork "plank with a nail through it".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQHBv_Q3cE

"Gold hard ring" - like a blunt chakram with some weight in it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMG-b_dfdns

Heaven and earth rings - the above blunt ring as a light weapon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pac9FEVJ5FI

Wolf teeth staff - it's one of those weird fantasy weapons with too many spikes except that it existed in medieval China:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCVhIYE00_s

"crutch jian", or a sword that slashes when it's thrusting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl5xteB_Mfg

Or just check Google book preview on "Ancient Chinese Weapons: The Martial Arts Guide" by Jwing-Ming Yang

http://books.google.be/books?id=SBEN...sec=frontcover

The illustrations aren't that aesthetically pleasing, but some of the weapons are SO WEIRD. For example, check out page 37 for weaponized rakes. I mean, you could pick one of the weirder drawings and show it to your players and they'd have a hard time believing you didn't just come up with it yourself.

5. - Top - End - #35

Insert Obligatory swordchuck reference here

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

when arrows start flying you want a shield.

In real life most combatants did not have heavy armor so a two handed weapon is over kill (unless its some kind of pike or other pole arm)

in regards to shields not being dashing that's certainly a fair opinion most dashing combat is not particularly realistic.

if your looking at a shield at just a wall you hide behind you haven't seen/ read the right things. It's a wall you hide behind that sometimes jumps forward and breaks the other guy face.

now in rpgs it's often a poor choice but that's a problem with rpgs not shields

7. - Top - End - #37

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    when arrows start flying you want a shield.

In real life most combatants did not have heavy armor so a two handed weapon is over kill (unless its some kind of pike or other pole arm)

in regards to shields not being dashing that's certainly a fair opinion most dashing combat is not particularly realistic.
    Hmm, you make reasonable points. Therefore, I shall ignore them.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2012-12-28 at 07:40 PM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    Hmm, you make reasonable points. Therefore, I shall ignore them.
    I'm trying to figure out if I should sig this anonymously as an expression of common forum practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

yeah i made a reasonable point the internet has validated my existence
    Last edited by awa; 2012-12-28 at 09:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    The meteor hammer is also statted, though I can't recall which book. (possibly OA?)
    The Meteor Hammer is like the bastard-offspring of a threesome between a whip, a dire flail, and some nunchucks. Like most exotic weapons, the stats given did not reflect it's coolness or balance the cost of spending a feat.

I'll try to see if I can dig up the official version, if only for the sake of argument; I think there where a bunch of odd exotic weapons in Complete Warrior.

IMO, if you are going to be statting out exotic weapons, then the ideal version are weapons that can do something no other weapon normally allows that is more than just a bump up in damage or crit rating.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2012-12-28 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

i think it's in pathfinder i almost positive oriental adventures does not have it

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Kusari-fundo. Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A few years ago I made some pretty interesting weapons all by myself for one of my campaign settings...
    *runs off to find old binder*
    Alas and alack, I forgot to give the weapons weights. Oh well. (And the damage is for Medium weapons.)

Simple:
    Ursalinu war-hoe: the ursalinu were a race of very militant bear people, and made some use of conscripts. While they had natural claws, they needed a good simple weapon that dealt slashing damage, and lo and behold, the war-hoe emerged. 4 gp, double weapon, 1d6 bludgeoning or slashing/1d6 bludgeoning.

Slingshot: I think I invented this for a race of halflings with enormous hair that resembled grass that they used to hide in the plains they lived in. Essentially, it's a two-handed sling dealing 1d6 damage and has a range of 75 ft. And costs 1 gp.

Exotic:
    Lasso: because really, you need lassos. These were invented for my dashing, swashbuckling, airship-flying, ceremonially tattooed mountain elves. 1 gp, no damage, 15 ft. reach, two-handed, otherwise a net.

Mantis sword: invented for a North African-y plutocracy that made heavy use of vermin as mounts. It cost 75 gp, dealt 1d4+1d6 slashing and piercing damage, and had a variable shape: it could either have no reach and be used to initiate grapples, or ten-foot reach and not be used to initiate grapples. And it's one-handed. Yeah, I know, totally unbalanced.
    I'm Mort and I make comics. http://beechwoodandbloom.smackjeeves.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
    For the enemy is not Troll, nor is it Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good.

14. - Top - End - #44

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting DM View Post
    Mantis sword: invented for a North African-y plutocracy that made heavy use of vermin as mounts. It cost 75 gp, dealt 1d4+1d6 slashing and piercing damage, and had a variable shape: it could either have no reach and be used to initiate grapples, or ten-foot reach and not be used to initiate grapples. And it's one-handed. Yeah, I know, totally unbalanced.
    What does it look like? Why can it do those things?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Dueling shield: an oblong, shield usable in one or two hands, with spikes all around. Gives you a bonus for not moving outside of your 5-foot-square

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9VG4ClQcJk

You already know meteor hammer, but here's a video any way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLoE6zTZyyU

Star Trek Bat'leth
    you could also call is "Sun Moon Kin Quan Dao" like the gentleman in this video does. I don't know what his deal is, but he does lots of martial arts and seems to have enough money around that he can order custom weapons based on (I believe) his own designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-UVcI_uaxI

Killing Pen of the Hell Judge, which actually is more or less a masterwork "plank with a nail through it".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQHBv_Q3cE

"Gold hard ring" - like a blunt chakram with some weight in it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMG-b_dfdns

Heaven and earth rings - the above blunt ring as a light weapon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pac9FEVJ5FI

Wolf teeth staff - it's one of those weird fantasy weapons with too many spikes except that it existed in medieval China:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCVhIYE00_s

"crutch jian", or a sword that slashes when it's thrusting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl5xteB_Mfg

Or just check Google book preview on "Ancient Chinese Weapons: The Martial Arts Guide" by Jwing-Ming Yang

http://books.google.be/books?id=SBEN...sec=frontcover

The illustrations aren't that aesthetically pleasing, but some of the weapons are SO WEIRD. For example, check out page 37 for weaponized rakes. I mean, you could pick one of the weirder drawings and show it to your players and they'd have a hard time believing you didn't just come up with it yourself.
    I got that book from the library last month, and loved it. China and India are THE sources for a wide variety of fun, crazy, scary weapons. Fei zhua anyone?

Also joining in on the love of shields. Sword and shield combo is just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Falcata. An incorrect but good term to visualize them would be "cleaver sword".

I've read some (unsourced) claims that in handles like a hybrid between a sword and an axe.
    Spoiler
    Show

The same principle is used in the Khopesh.
    Spoiler
    Show

The mechanical properties are also used by the falx:
    Spoiler
    Show

All these weapons are reported to be very effective at vleaving through shields and armor.

The Falcata (Spanish)and Khopesh (Mesopotamian) are part of a whole badass family with the Kopis (father of the Falcata or merely an uncle?), Kukhri (and its giant cousin the Kora), Yataghan (Turkish. Not sure where it comes from), and Ajanta (and its progeny the Sosun Pattah)
    Last edited by Dave Halfbreed; 2012-12-29 at 11:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    What does [the mantis sword] look like? Why can it do those things?
    It looks like a bastard sword-length sword with little triangular spikes projecting all along the blade. It also has a hinged blade on top, a bit longer than a shortsword, with triangular spikes. By flicking a catch on the hilt, you can extend the top, shorter blade so that the sword is about eight feet long, giving you reach; or you can make the blade loose, enabling you to catch people in the crook.
    I'm Mort and I make comics. http://beechwoodandbloom.smackjeeves.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
    For the enemy is not Troll, nor is it Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good.

17. - Top - End - #47

DrowGuy

have you thought about using masonry? from experience, support beams, cinder blocks, doors, benches (not as cool as that guy in the vid though), and even a barkeep are both useful and fun.

while we're at it, why not brooms and barstools? or steel rods?
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

In addition to what I’ve got listed in the OP. now I’m going to add these weapons to my list of weird, exotic and otherwise bizarre weapons. A lot of these are already stated out, so I’m simply compiling a list. While others I’m going to have to make up as I go.
    Spoiler
    Show

Maul
    Jitte
    Tonfa
    Three sectioned staff
    Khopesh
    Butterfly swords
    Sword cane
    Pike
    Sasumata
    Lajatang
    Mancatcher
    Sang kauw
    Naginata
    Poleaxe
    Warflail

Hand claws
    War fan
    Goad
    Knuckle duster
    Orc shotput
    Chakram
    Blow gun
    Greater blowgun
    Boomerang
    Atlatl
    Deer horn knives
    Falcate
    Bat’leth ( i really need to rename it this)
    War cleaver
    Dueling shields
    Hooked swords
    Wind and fire wheels

War cleaver- a moderately long but wide sword with a flat “tip” and a chiseled edge on three sides.
    Warflail- Basically a flail on the end of a staff.
    Wind and fire wheels- Hula hoop sized circular blades. Think Tira from soul Soulcalibur III.

As far as random items being used as weapons. I'm going to simply use the improvised weapons rules, as i don't want to stat out every possible item that could ever be used to hurt someone. I'm looking for items that are specifically weapons. But thanks so far, I'm happy with how this is progressing.

19. - Top - End - #49

DrowGuy

too true for improvised weapons. i was thinking about a guy roleplaying a tavern brawler with weapon proficiency (barstool), thus the possible need of a profile. (i'm not a real dm yet...)

what of purely defensive measure? land-mines, caltrops, razorwire, punji pits? bag of snakes? heck, even greek fire with a fuse?
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

My DM once let me combine the tripping and disarming abilities of the guisarme and ranseur into one weapon, paying the cost of both +50%. I called it the Geyser.

Has anyone mentioned a ballistic knife?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

I got a few good ones, gimme a sec (posting so i can hit my 10th post and post links, bare with me)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Lets seee...

Old germanic executioners swords are fun, i give them a huge coup de grace bonus vs knocked over enemies (×5) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executioner%27s_sword

One time i used an anchor for a ship as a hammer/meteor hammer (i was a half giant half dragon)

Oh the shasqua!
    https://youtu.be/Avprmm0I3aE

On one occaison (as per the one guy who said masonry) a friend of mine had a giant marble pillar refitted to work as a giant club (monks are scary fyi, he regularly TKOed people with 12d8 rolls)

Anvil warhammer

One time i played a ninja and all he had was a stack of papers, he used his ki to make the paoer act like steel and origami folded all his weapons, from shurikens to katanas and all that

Cant think of many more

23. - Top - End - #53

1 Weighted sleeve cuffs, used in some martial arts

2 A staff with one end hallow - when you smash with it, it breaks, covering your target with quicklime, or something similar. (obviously, a ninja weapon)

3 koncerz

Apparently you use it from a horse, holding it in reverse grip and stabbing down at people as you ride by.

4 shepard's axe, a walking stick with a nasty bite.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    3 koncerz

Apparently you use it from a horse, holding it in reverse grip and stabbing down at people as you ride by.
    The hilt says fencing grip. And underhand stab from a charging horse would be difficult enough even without such a long blade. At this length I think it would be impossible, unless you're maybe riding a camel or elephant.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

25. - Top - End - #55

If you care, the three-section staff was originally called the Sansetsukon (Japanese) or Sanjiegun (Chinese). Pity... was going to mention the Atlatl and Chakram also, but you've got 'em already.

One that you don't have (and a quick scan of your list didn't show any obvious clones) would be the Zanbato- the horse-slaying sword, for when you really want to overcompensate

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not sure if this is considered different enough than normal knife for your purpose but, what about karambit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karambit

From what I've seen how it's used in movies, it's apparently used in even more close quarter than knives. I mean, I never personally used them obviously, not sure how to explain it but from what I've seen in movies it's almost used as a very fist-attachment way.

(I think it's better if I actually show what I mean)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uowzCtxyNkE&t=3m40s
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    too true for improvised weapons. i was thinking about a guy roleplaying a tavern brawler with weapon proficiency (barstool), thus the possible need of a profile. (i'm not a real dm yet...)
    One possible fighting style would be what Nick Frost's character does in The World's End (the fight sequence in The Beehive pub).

What about the Kukri? And is the Tomahawk in the list?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Not sure if this is considered different enough than normal knife for your purpose but, what about karambit?
    Since this is a three-year-old thread necro, the original purpose has probably served its... purpose...

Dammit.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

I think one of the weirdest weapons I've ever seen is the flail. Ball on a chain on a stick looks so weird that I don't have a clue how it's meant to work. And apparently so does anyone who knows a bit about medieval combat. It would be really hard to control as it keeps yanking on itself the whole time.

There are a few medieval pictures of flails but it seems to either have been some type of novelty gadget or a strange invention that never caught on. (Which usually means it wasn't any good.) But it certainly looks cool and nasty in pictures and on walls.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I think one of the weirdest weapons I've ever seen is the flail. Ball on a chain on a stick looks so weird that I don't have a clue how it's meant to work. And apparently so does anyone who knows a bit about medieval combat. It would be really hard to control as it keeps yanking on itself the whole time.

There are a few medieval pictures of flails but it seems to either have been some type of novelty gadget or a strange invention that never caught on. (Which usually means it wasn't any good.) But it certainly looks cool and nasty in pictures and on walls.
    From what I gather, they actually indeed were a thing on Great Steppe, among nomadic horse people, although they weren't quite stereotypical ball on chain kind of thing.

http://www.muzeum.sanok.pl/images/st...2-kotowicz.pdf

http://www.muzeumwp.pl/emwpaedia/kiscien.php

They might have been descendancts of a different kind of whips, ubiquotous tools among horsenomands.

In fact they could perhaps be used very much like whips, many of those hitting parts are tiny and couldn't have packed too much of 'whoop', especially considering flexible character, meaning one couldn't put his weight behind it.

May have entered Europe from there, I guess.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.